← Cassini

Cassini - Comments

Vanpastel's Avatar Comment 1 by Vanpastel

This might sound a bit soppy, but tears came to my eyes as I watched this.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:23:00 UTC | #266088

amalthea's Avatar Comment 2 by amalthea

Booked my flight on Titanian Airlines just now. Very expensive though.

I don't know why, but I smiled all the way through the video.

A

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:26:00 UTC | #266090

Adrian Bartholomew's Avatar Comment 3 by Adrian Bartholomew

I ADORE this website. Several times a day it has stories, articles, videos and audio that seem tailored to me personally. I just wish there was a podcast feed for new video/audio to which I could subscribe so I could get my daily RDF fix on my iPod.

Thank you so very much for this little gem of a video by the way! Fantastic.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:44:00 UTC | #266106

Bruno's Avatar Comment 4 by Bruno

What if...
What if the human species on planet Earth could unite, and instead of tearing each other apart over whose God is bigger or better, we ALL could instead contribute and work together on projects like Cassini. Imagine what could be gained...what grand insights achieved. Such an idea seems at times so simple and obvious, but then at the same time so far, far away.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:46:00 UTC | #266109

gyokusai's Avatar Comment 5 by gyokusai

Here: tears, too.

^_^J.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:47:00 UTC | #266110

Mr Blue Sky's Avatar Comment 6 by Mr Blue Sky

Took ages to load but worth the wait I think. Reality is so much better than fantasy!

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:47:00 UTC | #266111

NewSkeptic's Avatar Comment 7 by NewSkeptic

As soon as I saw Carolyn Porco's name against this item, I said "Yes!"

Watching it now ...

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 12:54:00 UTC | #266119

mr-zero's Avatar Comment 8 by mr-zero

Better than a burning bush!

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:15:00 UTC | #266141

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 9 by NewEnglandBob

Science, great pictures and terrific background music - that is MY definition of heavenly.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:30:00 UTC | #266149

ingodwerust's Avatar Comment 10 by ingodwerust

Wonderful - I could be proud, except I know how rare such enterprise is. I salute all involved.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:41:00 UTC | #266155

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 11 by rod-the-farmer

Now isn't this MUCH more awe-inspiring than some bronze age myths and miracles ? Those we heard about not just second hand, but umpty-dozenth hand. THESE we can see with our own eyes. And just wait until next week, or next month, or next year ! It is only going to get better.

(Pedant rears head)......why is it that people working with these measurements DAILY cannot pronounce the word properly ?? There is no such word as kil-AW-meter. It is kilo-meeter. Just like milli-meeter. Or kilo-gram. It does NOT rhyme with speedometer. The kilo prefix indicates 'thousands' of something. Yes, Carolyn does a good job, and she has been part of space science for many years, but for goodness sake, she sounds like Dubya and "nuke-you-lar". (Pedant resumes seat.)

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:44:00 UTC | #266157

Shaden's Avatar Comment 12 by Shaden

Not to rain on your rant there rod, but it's kilometer and millimeter, with one e.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 13:57:00 UTC | #266161

Goldy's Avatar Comment 13 by Goldy

Utter pedantry here, but for most of the world, metre is spelt thusly, the French way. Meter is only used in the US.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:11:00 UTC | #266163

Vanpastel's Avatar Comment 14 by Vanpastel

Comment #279867 by Shaden
I think Rod is referring to the fact that the stress falls on that e (hence the doubling).

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:12:00 UTC | #266165

Gmork's Avatar Comment 15 by Gmork

Nice.

I remember having Cypress Hill playing in the background while listening to one of her talks. Her voice appeared very musical and alive against the music, compared to the many dry and boring talks I've suffered through, which can be the final nail in the coffin for those borderline heads.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:13:00 UTC | #266166

gyokusai's Avatar Comment 16 by gyokusai

rod-the-farmer sez:

rod-the-farmer, have you ever heard of Language Log? A nice place to hang out, incidentally, with Geoff Pullum, Mark Liberman, Arnold Zwicky, and other famous linguists. Now, Mark commented (in red color/myl) on a comment not unlike yours, only a bit more rude.

Enjoy:

(And Porco's my hero, even if that might not count as an argument ;-))

Cheers,
^_^J.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:21:00 UTC | #266171

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 17 by Quetzalcoatl

To hell with how they pronounce stuff, this is a great film. It should be shown in schools.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 14:35:00 UTC | #266180

weavehole's Avatar Comment 18 by weavehole

Beautiful.
Just beautiful.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:24:00 UTC | #266197

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 19 by rod-the-farmer

I normally use kiloMETRE, to further emphasize that it is a unit of length, as opposed to a "meter", a device for measuring something. But I figured I would raise enough hackles trying to correct pronunciation, let alone spelling, which of course was not provided in an audio recording. For those who cannot get their tongues around kilo-metre, try using "klicks". This was used by the U.S. space program people.

On a related item, I am informed the word halogen (as regards light bulbs) is pronounced "hay-lo-gen". NOT "hal-o-gen" as in the computer Hal from the movie, a common mis-pronunciation. This would align with "halides", from chemistry. Just thought some of you would like to know. (Pedant resumes seat)

Bottom line is that the achievement is spectacular. If they ever need volunteers for a manned, but one-way mission to Mars, or to "infinity and beyond !", count me in.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:30:00 UTC | #266201

Goldy's Avatar Comment 20 by Goldy

Rod - I was mostly being pedantic about Shaden's pedantry :-)
Hey, it's Friday, I turned 41 yesterday and the weekend looks good - surely I can have a wee bit of fun? :-D

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:33:00 UTC | #266202

Goldy's Avatar Comment 22 by Goldy

8teist
Behead or decapitate?

;-)

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:34:00 UTC | #266205

8teist's Avatar Comment 21 by 8teist

Pedants unite, behead all those who say pedants are intolerant.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:34:00 UTC | #266204

8teist's Avatar Comment 23 by 8teist

On second thoughts .................stoning , with little pebbles ,to make it last.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:37:00 UTC | #266207

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 24 by rod-the-farmer

I prefer people gravel in front of me.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:41:00 UTC | #266210

Goldy's Avatar Comment 25 by Goldy

Bugger it - stone people by staring hard at them. Last forever, no shortage of material and then get the message :-)

Rod - people gravel' Like laying a road. Always useful...
:-D

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 15:53:00 UTC | #266213

asyouwere's Avatar Comment 26 by asyouwere

I'm hoping that someone thought to sterilize the Titan lander before launch.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 16:08:00 UTC | #266220

Crazymalc's Avatar Comment 27 by Crazymalc

Rock on!

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 16:27:00 UTC | #266225

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 28 by Rawhard Dickins

Science is knowledge

Religion is the antithesis

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 16:54:00 UTC | #266237

Pete H's Avatar Comment 29 by Pete H

For youse guys afflicted with pedantic linguism, relief can be found in John McWhorter’s audio lectures for The Teaching Company: “The Story of Language”.

You’ll also find it interesting from the perspective of applied evolutionary theory and understanding human development and the global spread of civilisation. Having read McWhorter I am now comfortable in using this information to annoy my kids. Like correcting their inappropriate use of abandoned and virtually extinct expressions. Eg. ‘going to’ when ‘gonna’ is the prevailing word, and the need to not never miss no opportunities to emphasise by multiple negatives.

There’s a time to flow with the changes and a time for precision in language. You need to be aware of the inevitable rapid flow of language to even notice when precision is prudent. The Mars Climate Orbiter was effectively destroyed by the shared assumption that language is static and universal.

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 17:08:00 UTC | #266244

Goldy's Avatar Comment 30 by Goldy

I just am a pedant for the annoyance of others :-)
I especially like to use terms in the wrong era (I am gay today) and I love to use UK English to correct US English and US English to correct UK English. I alos like to irk people who bemoan Americanisms by pointing out they are more English than the words they use :-)
Gotta love language - never sits still and atrophies!

Thu, 06 Nov 2008 17:12:00 UTC | #266247