← I am Darwin

I am Darwin - Comments

IaninPA's Avatar Comment 1 by IaninPA

Hmm.. I work in sales.

I don't think me talking about the dog eat dog, destroy your opposition world of corporate selling is quite what they are looking for; even if it is in a way very Darwinian!

:-)

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:07:00 UTC | #271766

Ishruul's Avatar Comment 2 by Ishruul

I have no clue where this is going!

Can someone shed some light on the relevance of posting YouTube video saying 'I am Darwin' '

I can't figure out what job can be a good example of evolution. (the perverted dog-eat-dog-corporate-habit is really not Darwinian)

P.S. I also work in sales, so my view may be warped and cruel on this matter :)

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 10:43:00 UTC | #271797

Bruno's Avatar Comment 3 by Bruno

Did he say he would "put up them" or "put them up"? Sorry, I can't help it. I'm an editor.

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:00:00 UTC | #271809

a non e-moose's Avatar Comment 4 by a non e-moose

what's the point? this seems stupid.

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:11:00 UTC | #271817

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 5 by NewEnglandBob

How many lemmings will do as told here?

I got a small chuckle from this article posting.

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:28:00 UTC | #271829

Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy's Avatar Comment 6 by Jeff (HandyGeek) Handy

I can't stand these kinds of things. It's been done a billion times before and it's always pointless. I think it make more sense for participants to articulate why Darwin's ideas make a difference. Or what is the first thing you think of when you hear the name Darwin? The "me too" approach is so boring.

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:39:00 UTC | #271832

Ishruul's Avatar Comment 7 by Ishruul

Sound like a 'I'm a PC, I'm a Mac' pointless campain.

Still he forgot, rallying atheist is like herding cats...or whatever.

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:51:00 UTC | #271838

beanson's Avatar Comment 8 by beanson

wtf

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:53:00 UTC | #271840

IaninPA's Avatar Comment 9 by IaninPA

Oh... I get it.

"I am Spartacus!!!"

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 11:55:00 UTC | #271841

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 10 by Tyler Durden

"I'm Darwin and so is my wife!"

(Sorry, had to be said)

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:00:00 UTC | #271842

weavehole's Avatar Comment 11 by weavehole

"I'm Kirk Douglas' Grandson!!"

:-D

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:02:00 UTC | #271843

blueollie's Avatar Comment 12 by blueollie

Tyler: so you are a LOB fan?

"Always look on the bright side, of life..."

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:21:00 UTC | #271851

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 13 by Tyler Durden

blueollie,

Absolutely!! A timeless classic esp. when you endure some of the antics of the religious nut-jobs these days.

"I say you are Lord, and I should know. I've followed a few."

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:36:00 UTC | #271862

Ishruul's Avatar Comment 14 by Ishruul

Romani ite domum
Romani ite domum
Romani ite domum
Romani ite domum
Romani ite domum
Romani ite domum...

A hundred time please.

I am Enid Gumby

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 12:43:00 UTC | #271873

Disbelief's Avatar Comment 15 by Disbelief

Ha Ha, nice one centurion like it.

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 17:32:00 UTC | #272066

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 16 by aquilacane

I am not Darwin, nor could I care it's his birthday.

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 18:44:00 UTC | #272097

Gwiss's Avatar Comment 17 by Gwiss

Sounds like someone is trying to herd some cats.

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 20:01:00 UTC | #272135

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 18 by Richard Dawkins

Goodness, what a load of world-weary, cynical old curmudgeons we have posting here today!
Richard

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:20:00 UTC | #272187

debaser71's Avatar Comment 19 by debaser71

Herding cats isn't hard if you have catnip.

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:35:00 UTC | #272192

Praecipula92's Avatar Comment 20 by Praecipula92

Well, that is quite an interesting idea... it could raise Darwinian awareness, and quite possibly our numbers. Not a bad thing at all!

Also, happy birthday to Charles Darwin!

Mon, 17 Nov 2008 23:40:00 UTC | #272193

Chris_The_Positivist's Avatar Comment 21 by Chris_The_Positivist

Yes I think we should all contribute, it's a wonderful way for people to show how this brilliant man has contributed to peoples lives everywhere!

Tue, 18 Nov 2008 00:03:00 UTC | #272201

Vanpastel's Avatar Comment 22 by Vanpastel

Comment #285977 by Richard Dawkins
Twinkle twinkle little star,
How I wonder what you are.
[/Off Topic]
Maybe this is not such a bad idea after all.

Tue, 18 Nov 2008 00:20:00 UTC | #272205

Dr Doctor's Avatar Comment 23 by Dr Doctor

Richard

Haha! Touche!

Tue, 18 Nov 2008 00:46:00 UTC | #272215

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 24 by SilentMike

Personality cult much?

OK OK I get the point. Not sure it's the message we want to send though. I am not Darwin. I have thinner eyebrows, for one.

I am a researcher in evolutionary computation (in theory at least), so thank you Charles Darwin (and Richard Dawkins, and all the rest). But you can keep the brows.

Meow.

Edit: I'm watching the 5 videos on the site. They are quite nice. I may be wrong. Partly because the "I am Darwin" part seems an uncomfortable phrase you "have to" say at the end in the clips I've seen.

Tue, 18 Nov 2008 01:30:00 UTC | #272229

Wulfgar's Avatar Comment 25 by Wulfgar

what's the point?

what's next? "How Isaac Newton has impacted or influenced what you do?", "How Theory of relativity has impacted or influenced what you do?"

Tue, 18 Nov 2008 01:38:00 UTC | #272231

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 26 by DamnDirtyApe

curmudgeons

That word needs to be used more in daily life.

Tue, 18 Nov 2008 01:42:00 UTC | #272232

GBile's Avatar Comment 27 by GBile

I am GBile.

Ok, this might be a little too curmudgeonny.

I am Aristotle, Pythagoras, Plato, Confucius, Maxwell, Bohr, Heisenberg, Student, Shannon, van Bergeijk, Neff, Ohm, Volta, Bose, Einstein, Pinker, Webster, Minnaert, van Allen, Kuypers, Keppler, Galileo, Brahe, Hamilton, Neyman and Pearson, Dawkins, Mulisch, Salinger, Keynes, Jefferson, Boltzmann, de Bye, van der Waals, Morimoto, Rose, de Vries, Darwin, Newton, Gutenberg, Edison, Wilson, ...

Tue, 18 Nov 2008 02:14:00 UTC | #272236

AllanW's Avatar Comment 28 by AllanW

Comment #286035 by DamnDirtyApe on November 18, 2008 at 1:42 am
'That word needs to be used more in daily life. '

I grinned inwardly yesterday when I sneaked rapscallions into a post.

On topic;
Yes, yes it's a bit 'yoof'. Yes, yes it's a ripoff of the current PC/MAC advertising war but come on people, anything that refers to that brilliant film 'Spartacus' cannot be bad.

"I am Darwin."

Tue, 18 Nov 2008 02:42:00 UTC | #272239

NMcC's Avatar Comment 29 by NMcC

At the risk of appearing ‘curmudgeonly’, I must say that I’m more than a little bemused at this desire to elevate Darwin in this way. I am particularly tickled by Professor Dawkins’ almost genuflecting at the mention of Darwin’s name. Darwin was nothing like the person Professor Dawkins, if you take his views at face value, should admire. Darwin may have had ‘the single best idea that anyone has ever had’ (which, of course, is debatable), but he certainly wasn’t the fearless, free-thinking defender of truth and justice and opponent of religious tyranny that Professor Dawkins would almost have us believe.

Should we laud to the sky a man who came up with an idea (brilliant and earth-shattering as it was) but who then, by all accounts out of fear, sat on it for twenty years and was only forced to publish through the promptings of someone else having come up with the same idea? I don’t think so. If Darwin was alive today and showed any of the timid (some would say ‘cowardly’) traits he famously possessed, I suspect that Professor Dawkins, as far as Darwin’s misgivings as to how his theory would impact on religion, at least, is concerned, would be the first to ridicule him. And rightly so, in my opinion.

There were many people who suffered for the cause, and, most importantly, specifically around Darwin’s time. Some to a lesser degree than others. After having published his The Necessity of Atheism, for example, the poet Shelley was punched in the face in a post office in Italy by a fellow Englishman who snarled ‘You’re that damned atheist Shelley, aren’t you’. Braudlaugh,(who was born into abject poverty and as an 11 year old worked as a clerk in an office and certainly never enjoyed any of the benefits of being born into the Darwin clan), among others, of course, went to jail. Yes, Professor Dawkins, many people suffered to further scientific knowledge and freedom to think and express oneself without the goons of the church or the gendarmes sticking their noses in – Darwin wasn’t one of them.

Will there be the same celebrations for Wallace? I doubt it.

Tue, 18 Nov 2008 04:18:00 UTC | #272255

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 30 by Tyler Durden

Comment #285977 by Richard Dawkins

I guess Richard has yet to encounter DP yet :)

EDIT: I might wait until Carl Sagan's next birthday to post "I am star stuff", makes more sense to me.

Tue, 18 Nov 2008 04:21:00 UTC | #272256