← Cheap plaster saint

Cheap plaster saint - Comments

Mango's Avatar Comment 1 by Mango

Epic fail.

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:35:00 UTC | #274519

madame_zora's Avatar Comment 2 by madame_zora

I'd have been more impressed if the head started talking, haha. When will people be willing to understand that their gods are made of the same man-made materials as the statues we erect to them?

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 15:43:00 UTC | #274523

mrgoodjob's Avatar Comment 4 by mrgoodjob

The Will of God at it's finest???

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:17:00 UTC | #274532

Chris Davis's Avatar Comment 5 by Chris Davis

What I find interesting is that the crowd initially reacts as though the realio, trulio Virgin Mary has fallen over and her head's come off. Shrieks of extreme horror and apparent revulsion at the 'blood and guts'.

And then, after a second or so, the hallucination dissipates and those nearby seem to realise that it's just debris - and they're not sure how to handle it. Do they treat the bits of plaster and crap with some kind of respect and reverence? Should they make some sort of attempt to 'revive' the thing?

The onlookers appear unwilling to engage with the reality of the broken junk because it will shatter the illusion still further, and force them to face the fact that they've imbued a tacky pile of junk with such holiness. How insane it all is!

Edit: Just to add, a propos Josh's opening line: in many ways this clip is very insightful indeed about key aspects of the God Delusion as it manifests itself in real life.

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:29:00 UTC | #274535

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 6 by Laurie Fraser

Thank you, Jeeeeeeessssssuuuuuusssss!

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:32:00 UTC | #274537

root2squared's Avatar Comment 7 by root2squared

Jesus saves everyone, but not his own mom.

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:38:00 UTC | #274539

root2squared's Avatar Comment 8 by root2squared

Hi Laurie

Nice avatar. But people are now going to be confused. Which one of the two is the poster?

;)

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:45:00 UTC | #274543

Laurie Fraser's Avatar Comment 9 by Laurie Fraser

Hi 2 - well, the little one's far more intelligent than the codger on the right. She tells me what to say and I just type.

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 16:52:00 UTC | #274546

root2squared's Avatar Comment 10 by root2squared

Laurie

That's a mighty smart kid you got there! Even if she told you to type that :)

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:08:00 UTC | #274549

koldito's Avatar Comment 11 by koldito

I sympathize with the cleaning lady.

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 17:38:00 UTC | #274553

windfall's Avatar Comment 12 by windfall

I don't have any profound comments to make other than that was plenty god-damned funny.

Ok, here's one: ashes to ashes, dust to dust.

Edit: I just noticed, it was that guy in the front's fault. He tried some tricky over-the-shoulder manouver, probably intending to impress the ladies in the front. Tried to get all fancy and now he's going to burn in hell for all eternity.

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 19:46:00 UTC | #274564

windfall's Avatar Comment 13 by windfall

I thought of a better one: Fall from grace.

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:04:00 UTC | #274570

chewedbarber's Avatar Comment 14 by chewedbarber

Did I hear them lamenting its demise?

I enjoyed the reaction of the priests,

"Right then, get the fucking wine."

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:27:00 UTC | #274574

Lightnin's Avatar Comment 15 by Lightnin

Was that a Catholic service' Was that the young girl Virgin Mary'

Tried to get all fancy and now he's going to burn in hell for all eternity.

What does the Vatican say on beheading the mother of christ' Probably ranks somewhere along with suicide and eucharist desecration.

I do honestly feel bad for the guys carrying it, it reminds me of the other failblog video of the trophy dropping ice hockey player.

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:31:00 UTC | #274575

Josh Timonen's Avatar Comment 16 by Josh Timonen

The thing that jumped into my mind was:

Why on earth would you have four old geezers carrying a statue on a platform like this, other than for some ridiculous religious ritual?! This is a job for dollies and cranes, straps, supports and professional movers! But instead they have to make it into a silly ritual, and look what happens.

Josh

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 20:54:00 UTC | #274577

righton's Avatar Comment 17 by righton

That was awesome!

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 21:22:00 UTC | #274581

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 18 by mordacious1

Our Blessed Lady of the Tile Floor.

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 21:39:00 UTC | #274584

kram50's Avatar Comment 19 by kram50

Oh, how close to taking out the little old lady at the front...but GOD was looking out for her. It truly is a great miracle.

Now if that's not evidence of a divine assholyness, what is?

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 22:07:00 UTC | #274587

cornbread_r2's Avatar Comment 20 by cornbread_r2

Cannot.Stop.Hitting.Replay. Like watching the Kennedy assassination.

I don't think this is Jebus's mom. I'm not even sure it's a female saint...seems to be dressed in military garb. I'm guessing it's one of those ethnic parishes and this is their patron saint on his/her feast day. I can't tell if the little nun in the front row is trying to save the statue or herself. In any case, I'm glad she's OK. I love the way the geezers hot foot it out the door! I'd bet replacing it costs, minimum, 20K USD.

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 22:43:00 UTC | #274588

cornbread_r2's Avatar Comment 21 by cornbread_r2

This might be a statue of Saint Florian, the patron saint of Poland, Austria and firefighters.

Fri, 21 Nov 2008 23:49:00 UTC | #274592

sheepwshotguns's Avatar Comment 22 by sheepwshotguns

the FSM does not tolerate idol worshipers!

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 00:15:00 UTC | #274598

davem's Avatar Comment 23 by davem

I'm wondering about the flash photography just after the accident. Looks like someone was waiting for it to happen...

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 01:07:00 UTC | #274637

V'Ger's Avatar Comment 24 by V'Ger

Brilliant.

To anybody else - it's just a statue falling on the floor. But the way the audience react as if they are in a remake of the Exorcist is hilarious ;-)

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 01:16:00 UTC | #274644

righton's Avatar Comment 25 by righton

That was awesome... Again.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 02:19:00 UTC | #274709

Anvil's Avatar Comment 26 by Anvil

When I was a kid –irish/catholic- every home had a statue of the Child of Prague in the window. For those unfamiliar : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_Jesus_of_Prague

The statue is of the infant Jesus in fancy garb wearing a huge crown which created a weak spot at the neck. Obviously the head of the poor baby Jesus fell off with alarming regularity. Over the years it became ‘unlucky’ to own a Child of Prague that hadn’t broken at the neck, so much so that priests were often asked to snap the neck and bless the statue to restore the luck.

Another quick point: if you passed a house where a Child of Prague was placed on the doorstep you giggled. Why? Because it meant that there where newlyweds inside the house shagging for the Lord. Looking back it seems odd to see such a fertility right enacted on the streets of a western city.

Oh, and he could control the weather, too. Ha!

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 02:28:00 UTC | #274716

weavehole's Avatar Comment 27 by weavehole

Pwned by gravity and a shoulder that ain't as nimble as it once were.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 04:08:00 UTC | #274773

Mango's Avatar Comment 28 by Mango

You know the parishioners left saying to each other, "It's a miracle no one was hurt!"

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 07:19:00 UTC | #274860

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 29 by Tezcatlipoca

I'm thinking of sending the link of this little debacle as a reply to an email I got from my extended family's group list. One of my cousins forwarded this little joke from her co-worker. Does anyone have anything similar, but not too harsh please, that I might send back to the family?

FLORIDA COURT SETS ATHEIST HOLY DAY : In Florida , an atheist created a case
against the Easter & Passover holy days. He hired an attorney to bring a
discrimination case against Christians, Jews & observances of their holy
days. The argument was it was unfair that atheists had no such recognized day.

The case was brought before a judge. After listening to the passionate
presentation by the lawyer, the judge banged his gavel declaring, "Case
dismissed."

The lawyer immediately stood objecting to the ruling saying, "Your honor,
how can you possibly dismiss this case? The Christians have Christmas, Easter
& others. The Jews have Passover, Yom Kippur & Hanukkah. Yet my client
& all other atheists have no such holidays."

The judge leaned forward in his chair saying, "B ut you do. Counsel, your
client is woefully ignorant." The lawyer said, "Your Honor, we are
unaware of any special observance or holiday for atheists."

The judge said, "The calendar says April 1st is 'April Fools Day.'
Psalm 14:1 states 'The fool says in his heart, there is no God.' Thus,
it is the opinion of this court, that if your client says there is no God, then
he is a fool. Therefore, April 1st is his day. Court is adjourned."

Hmmm, I've always wanted a good reason to wear a jester's hat...Thanksgiving dinner is just five days away...

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 08:39:00 UTC | #274875

PlasteredDragon's Avatar Comment 30 by PlasteredDragon

I don't think it is particularly funny. Someone could have gotten hurt... that thing probably weighed a couple hundred pounds at least. Besides it was also probably quite expensive to fabricate and the parishoners were obviously looking forward to installing it in their church--who knows how much time, money, or anticipation went into this day? I can't imagine how badly the dude at front left who basically screwed up must feel.

While I consider religion to be a farce, I can't find anything to laugh at here. I generally don't find videos of other people's misfortune amusing.

Sat, 22 Nov 2008 08:46:00 UTC | #274876