← Richard Dawkins explains his 'Scarlet A' lapel pin - The Out Campaign

Richard Dawkins explains his 'Scarlet A' lapel pin - The Out Campaign - Comments

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 1 by Matt H.

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:29:00 UTC | #290708

sarah95's Avatar Comment 2 by sarah95

Thanks for posting this, Josh!
I loved the brunette's reaction! It made my day! I try to wear my "A" shirt as often as possible, and occasionally I meet fellow Dawkins fans and atheists, but no one's actually inquired about it before(who didn't already know what it was).

And of course Richard is a charming spokesman as usual...;)

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:38:00 UTC | #290711

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 3 by mordacious1

Let's see. You're speaking with the world's best known atheist and you ask what the red "A" pin stands for. No wonder these gals have to go to a spermbank. (I know, the last sentence is insensitive, just couldn't resist)

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:41:00 UTC | #290712

Martin Farrar's Avatar Comment 4 by Martin Farrar

Just bought my first ever item off the site and it's one of these badges. I must admit I was always worried about getting something like this not because I felt I'd be persecuted (I'm British) but rather people are going to say I'm arrogant and wearing it for no other reason. It's not true. I feel strongly about this so I don't think I should have to feel embarrassed to show my support.

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:45:00 UTC | #290713

Josh Timonen's Avatar Comment 5 by Josh Timonen

The other day I saw my first "Scarlet A" bumper sticker "in the wild" (well, on the 101 freeway in LA). It was on someone's black jeep. I was merging on the freeway, and I tried to pull along side, but they wouldn't let me in! They probably thought I was trying to pull ahead of them! I was still glad to see it, though. - Josh

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:45:00 UTC | #290714

Butler's Avatar Comment 6 by Butler

I'm curious, does Richard wear his all the time or just when he knows he's going to be filmed/in front of an audience?

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:50:00 UTC | #290716

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 7 by mordacious1

Martin

Try the mug that they sell here, as depicted on Josh's avatar. They are real nice...I love mine.

Personally, I live in xian-ville and I wear a sweatshirt with "ATHEIST" emblazened on the front. I've had nothing but positive comments and have actually met some nice local atheists.

Josh

They probably thought you were an xian with a gun.

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:51:00 UTC | #290717

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 8 by Matt H.

Well, I don't own a pin or t-shirt (I really should, though, just to support the RDF more than anything else). But I did think about buying a Darwin fish, or FSM badge, when I was out walking and saw a car with a Jesus fish on the back. I live in the UK, and there's loads of them over here.

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:53:00 UTC | #290719

Eshto's Avatar Comment 9 by Eshto

Were those the ladies picking the sperm donors?

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 17:54:00 UTC | #290720

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 10 by mordacious1

I don't like to put anything about atheism on my car. I like the paintjob too much.

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:04:00 UTC | #290725

dhudson0001's Avatar Comment 11 by dhudson0001

A co-worker commented that I must be really ashamed that I committed adultery. When I explained what the A on my t-shirt actually stood for, she gave a horrified look and hurried away. lol.

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:10:00 UTC | #290729

thewhitepearl's Avatar Comment 12 by thewhitepearl

Matt,

I had a Darwin fish on the back of my vehicle and eventually someone ripped it off. And by eventually I mean two weeks. I also noticed an increase in road rage towards me. Of course that could have all been in my head.

Any way, I enjoyed the clip, thanks for posting it Josh.

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:41:00 UTC | #290740

gyokusai's Avatar Comment 13 by gyokusai

That was totally cute. Thank you, Josh!

^_^J.

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:43:00 UTC | #290742

Hellene's Avatar Comment 14 by Hellene

"You mean atheist like the religion?"

The mind boggles...

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 18:59:00 UTC | #290746

Lisa Bauer's Avatar Comment 15 by Lisa Bauer

I have to say, the very first time I saw the pin (from a distance), I thought it was a red AIDS ribbon! I wonder what that's about, I wondered. Shows how much I knew...

If I take off my glasses and squint at this from a couple yards away, yes, they DO look awfully similar! (I mean, I'm almost blind at that distance, but hey...they're both red and sort of "cross" towards the middle!)

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:22:00 UTC | #290755

j.mills's Avatar Comment 16 by j.mills

Limerick Summary News Service!

The vowel that shamed Hester Prynne
Has evolved to RD's lapel pin.
We thus cast the first stone
At the faith-virus-prone,
For are not we all without sin?

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:48:00 UTC | #290763

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 17 by Dhamma

Not only was it "like the religion...", but she followed it up with an astonished "wooow" at this very alien religion. Atheism isn't very big in USA, that's for sure.

The sheer joy in Richard's face when she asked the magical question was quite funny too.

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 19:53:00 UTC | #290765

Mayhemm's Avatar Comment 18 by Mayhemm

Well, as long as we're being insensitive, I would have to say that I find it rather surprising that they had to go to a sperm bank. Usually, the not-too-swift ones have no shortage of "donors". ;)

On a side note: That lady bears a striking physical resemblance to a girl I knew in university.

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 20:32:00 UTC | #290789

Dow's Avatar Comment 19 by Dow

That was kind of cute... heh.

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 21:15:00 UTC | #290815

Wosret's Avatar Comment 20 by Wosret

I bought one of the t-shirts, but it turned out to be the wrong size -- so I gave it to my brother.

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:59:00 UTC | #290871

Mr Jaguar's Avatar Comment 21 by Mr Jaguar

I proudly have my DARWIN fish on the back of my car. Had my windows smashed in once, and one fish removed - I'll always have it on my car. Screw 'em if they can't take a joke!

Mon, 22 Dec 2008 23:34:00 UTC | #290875

rthille's Avatar Comment 22 by rthille

I've got the "Scarlet A" bumper sticker on my truck, and while I telecommute out of the house most of the time, when I go into the office, I tend to wear my "A" pin or button. I've only gotten asked about it twice. The response both times was mostly one of "why bother". I think that's because the office is in Silicon Valley where I'd imagine most of the engineers are scientific enough to not be religious. Of course that's probably just wishful thinking :-)

Tue, 23 Dec 2008 00:30:00 UTC | #290897

Bertybob's Avatar Comment 23 by Bertybob

I have the "Evolve" fish sticker inside my rear screen. My nice shiny Darwin Fish grew legs and walked off somewhere, no doubt someone who could not take free speech.

I live in the UK and so I am less worried about my paintwork and windows.

Tue, 23 Dec 2008 00:56:00 UTC | #290915

petermun's Avatar Comment 24 by petermun

I have been wearing a pin for about a year now and feel somehow naked when I go out without it (which I would be of course if that's all I wore - glad I spotted that one!) I have only been asked about it once in all that time - and although on the look out, I have never seen anyone else wearing one.

Tue, 23 Dec 2008 01:12:00 UTC | #290922

Sharrow's Avatar Comment 25 by Sharrow

My red A stays on my winter coat the whole time and I often get asked what it signifies. I do like the varied reactions from people on hearing the explanation. Some just carry the assumption that it is an anarchist A! Just goes to show.

Tue, 23 Dec 2008 01:38:00 UTC | #290932

clatz's Avatar Comment 26 by clatz

Really sweet. Loved the huge grin from Richard.

:-)

Tue, 23 Dec 2008 02:03:00 UTC | #290941

Mark Jones's Avatar Comment 27 by Mark Jones

I've put it on my security blanket.

Tue, 23 Dec 2008 02:39:00 UTC | #290952

bamboospitfire's Avatar Comment 28 by bamboospitfire

"It's not spelling it out,"

Indeed! ;-)

Tue, 23 Dec 2008 06:40:00 UTC | #291040

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 29 by Tezcatlipoca

In her defense she immediately followed with "or lack of religion." So I'd say there has been a bit of thought about it. The ladies surely can not be RC as artificial insemination is a sin hmmm(qm)

Tue, 23 Dec 2008 06:50:00 UTC | #291044

Ewald's Avatar Comment 30 by Ewald

11. Comment #305155 by dhudson0001 on December 22, 2008 at 6:10 pm

Hm.. So talking with an adulterer is less scary than talking to an atheist? Some standards.. ;)

29. Comment #305531 by Tezcatlipoca on December 23, 2008 at 6:50 am

I agree, sounds a little like she simply misspoke and corrected herself quickly. I'm not ruling out actual stupidity, just saying that according to me, misspeaking seems a lot more plausible here :)

Tue, 23 Dec 2008 06:59:00 UTC | #291047