← God Versus The Advertising Standards Authority

God Versus The Advertising Standards Authority - Comments

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 1 by Styrer-

Very nicely done! Funny enough to almost forgive the misspelling of 'dependent', too. (Bah, humbug.)

Derision is really the best way to answer the ludicrous, desperate flailings of a nutjob like Green. I hope the ASA will finally agree.

Best,
Styrer

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:22:00 UTC | #301500

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 2 by Richard Dawkins

Tim Clague created this film two weeks ago, BEFORE Stephen Green complained to the Advertising Standards Agency about the bus campaign, indeed before the bus campaign was launched. Tim Clague's satire anticipated the preposterous reality, which makes it even funnier.

Richard

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:34:00 UTC | #301503

Anvil's Avatar Comment 3 by Anvil

1. Comment #316540 by Styrer:

I probably agree. Probably very nicely done and probably funny enough to forgive the misspelling of dependent, too. Probably...

Damn. The thing for me is that there is probably too much indecision in the world?

I'm off to probably get drunk at work. Sorry, no, 'definately'... definately get drunk at work.

Anvil.

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:40:00 UTC | #301505

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 4 by Styrer-

Comment #316543 by Richard Dawkins on January 10, 2009 at 10:34 am

Superb. I take my hat off to his clear-sightedness.

While there's a touch of sadness in the frustrating predictability of it all, perhaps it's just as well that faithoholics everywhere do behave in such foreseeable ways, and none more so than the despicable Green himself. Much better to 'know' your enemy than to try impossibly to 'love' him, after all.

Best,
Styrer

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:42:00 UTC | #301506

Tzsak's Avatar Comment 5 by Tzsak

Loved it~

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 10:57:00 UTC | #301510

Jeppo's Avatar Comment 6 by Jeppo

A wonderful satire!

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:01:00 UTC | #301511

Quine's Avatar Comment 7 by Quine

Name? "Jesus Christ"
You got a birth certificate for that? "Well, it wasn't quite like that ...."
Sounds like a made up name, to me. "ahh wellll, ..."

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:05:00 UTC | #301512

Fizzle's Avatar Comment 9 by Fizzle

Comment #316543 by Richard Dawkins

And we say there's no such things as psychics. For Shame ;).

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:15:00 UTC | #301516

flying goose's Avatar Comment 8 by flying goose

Well I'm offended!

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:15:00 UTC | #301515

Mark Jones's Avatar Comment 10 by Mark Jones

Superb prescience!

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:16:00 UTC | #301517

Fujikoma's Avatar Comment 11 by Fujikoma

To bad these things are only available by streaming. Mom's got a dial-up connection that could never handle this.

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:26:00 UTC | #301520

timclague's Avatar Comment 12 by timclague

Thanks for those words and for the feedback. I could try and convince you that the spelling errors were intentional as it is the character who is making them. But I won't. Instead I will simply say that I made the whole film and uploaded it on Boxing Day and I was a bit worse for wear.

And good news for Fujikoma as you can indeed download an mp4 of the film from Google Video here...

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 11:58:00 UTC | #301538

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 13 by Styrer-

Comment #316578 by timclague on January 10, 2009 at 11:58 am

Hello Tim

Actually, I would probably have bought the 'character' thing!

I missed the beginning of a 'Fawlty Towers' episode to watch your piece and thought the loss was more than amply compensated.

Many thanks indeed, and I hope you do more stuff like this.

Best,
Styrer

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:04:00 UTC | #301543

Vinelectric's Avatar Comment 14 by Vinelectric

Nevermind the video,

Halleu-Alexandra Burke !!

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:05:00 UTC | #301544

PaulJ's Avatar Comment 15 by PaulJ

Comment #316560 by Fujikoma

To bad these things are only available by streaming.
If you use the Firefox browser I'd recommend the DownloadHelper plugin, which allows you to download many kinds of streaming media (including Flash video) for offline viewing.

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:12:00 UTC | #301548

Jay Cee's Avatar Comment 16 by Jay Cee

Comment #316545 by Anvil

The use of the word "probably" is just pure genius on the part of the designer. There is just no way that it can get pulled up by the ASA - no matter how many complaints it gets. It's just such a nice unoffensive comment. It draws attention to the visciousness and negativity of the Alpha course ads. What's more, it has got the religious attacking us for being unsure and indecisive! And they are usually attacking atheists for being too certain and narrow minded! The campaign will be very effective methinks.

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 12:51:00 UTC | #301560

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 17 by Styrer-

Comment #316600 by JAMCAM87 on January 10, 2009 at 12:51 pm

That is a wonderfully astute point, JAMCAM87.

I wonder if their own vacillating response to us lot will thereby cause them to re-consider their own positions when attacking us as the 'fundamentalist atheists' we're often depicted as being?

The campaign is already proving very effective, I think.

Best,
Styrer

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:15:00 UTC | #301564

Veronique's Avatar Comment 18 by Veronique

Hi Tim Clague

Many thanks - great stuff, beautifully delivered. Just up my alley. To add to others' comments - great prescience!!!

Cheers
V

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:16:00 UTC | #301565

scottishgeologist's Avatar Comment 20 by scottishgeologist

RD's comments are spot on - I'd love to see Stephen Green's face when that one hits home. No, actually, there are certain things I dont want to see....

JAMCAM: You are right, the "Probably" is great. And ACCURATE and REASONABLE.

So many of the religious strifes in the world are casued by groups who think that THEY ARE ABSOLUTELY RIGHT because they have "god" on their side. Religious absolutism is lethal

And no where is this more clearly shown than in Psalm 118:

"6The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me'

7The LORD taketh my part with them that help me: therefore shall I see my desire upon them that hate me.

8It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.

9It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.

10All nations compassed me about: but in the name of the LORD will I destroy them.

11They compassed me about; yea, they compassed me about: but in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.

12They compassed me about like bees: they are quenched as the fire of thorns: for in the name of the LORD I will destroy them.

Incidentally, this psalm is frequently sung at presbyterian denomination communion services.

Keep the merciless satire going. Humour is one of the best tools we have!

:-)
SG

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:26:00 UTC | #301569

Jay Cee's Avatar Comment 19 by Jay Cee

Thank you Styrer, I have to admit though that I was a skeptic when the ad first came out and I criticised it's wording strongly. Now I have completely changed my mind. The soft, be-nice approach seems to work very well indeed judging by the reaction, even if it's less fun.

Also Best,
James.

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 13:26:00 UTC | #301567

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 21 by Mr DArcy

6The LORD is on my side; I will not fear: what can man do unto me'

8It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in man.

9It is better to trust in the LORD than to put confidence in princes.

This, very probably, isn't true.

Stephen Green, riding a donkey, wearing his crown of thorns and carrying the burden of protecting Christianity, will very probably wend his weary way to the ASA to demand justice for Christians.

Oh, the poor misunderstood and victimised Christians!

Excuse me whilst my heart bleeds and I vomit into the sick bag.

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:02:00 UTC | #301587

AshtonBlack's Avatar Comment 22 by AshtonBlack

Nice work Tim. Very funny!

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:06:00 UTC | #301589

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 23 by Stafford Gordon

More please!; this is reminiscent of Mr Deity.

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:15:00 UTC | #301592

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 24 by phil rimmer

Tim,

That was absolutely glorious. More please!

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:30:00 UTC | #301598

BrandySpears's Avatar Comment 25 by BrandySpears

What the hell is the Advertising Standards Authority anways? A censorship branch of the government?

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:37:00 UTC | #301600

DoctorMelkor's Avatar Comment 26 by DoctorMelkor

Brilliant little video! Two thumbs up! (both of them are mine, but still...)

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 14:39:00 UTC | #301601

mmurray's Avatar Comment 27 by mmurray

@BrandySpears

A body that self-regulates advertising in the UK

www.asa.org.uk

If you look at the page of adjudications they seem to do good work on controlling false and misleading advertising.

Michael

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:09:00 UTC | #301633

timelord's Avatar Comment 28 by timelord

Tim,

Brilliant!

Quote: "I made the whole film and uploaded it on Boxing Day and I was a bit worse for wear."

Lucky you were using a Mac. If you were using Vista you would probably be still trying to get it to work!

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:42:00 UTC | #301650

OverUsedChewToy's Avatar Comment 29 by OverUsedChewToy

This sounds like "Some Grey Bloke", a comedian on youtube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2bpc7LSRZc

Sat, 10 Jan 2009 16:49:00 UTC | #301655