← Rush Music Video: Family Tree of Religions

Rush Music Video: Family Tree of Religions - Comments

The Truth, the light's Avatar Comment 1 by The Truth, the light

Damm quicktime. Made my FF session freeze. I think I'll wait for a youtube version.

BTW, first post!!

Edit: There's a youtube version at http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=BbqD-SdeV-A

Great vid, I like the way the tree is like a slithery snake spreading itself in all directions.

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 10:59:00 UTC | #308110

Lordsuhn's Avatar Comment 2 by Lordsuhn

I do so love Rush!!

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:01:00 UTC | #308112

alabasterocean's Avatar Comment 3 by alabasterocean

This was fun. It's bigger in reality, or in detail, Christianity exceeds over 30,000 different branches. That's quite a few.

The Rush band makes Howard Jones look cool :)

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:02:00 UTC | #308113

Quine's Avatar Comment 4 by Quine

P.S. Would have been better if the animation had grown the tree from the tips the way it happens in nature.

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:07:00 UTC | #308119

DiveMedic's Avatar Comment 5 by DiveMedic

I was just on my way to the hardware store to buy a new trash can for yard work.... I have a strange urge to pick up an axe as well.

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:09:00 UTC | #308122

brian thomson's Avatar Comment 6 by brian thomson

The title is a quote from "Team America: World Police": "Probably a case of Malignant Narcissism brought on during childhood." A good description of your average fundie, methinks.

Great image at the end, too: "Chuck D" with a bloody great big axe. "And the trees were all kept equal, by hatchet, axe, and saw."

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:11:00 UTC | #308123

Isaksson's Avatar Comment 7 by Isaksson

I dread to ask, but has someone actually made a complete list of all known religions up to date?

I'd love to get my hands on one and ask some of friends to point out theirs. I would most likely have to buy some more paper for my printer. A lot of paper.

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:12:00 UTC | #308124

bluebird's Avatar Comment 8 by bluebird

"There is unrest in the forest,
There is trouble with the trees..."

Awesome!! Just the other day 'The Trees' was brought to mind.

A long time ago, I entered a "Win Neil Peart's Drums" contest. Alas, didn't win, c'est la vie. Anyway, my husband is a drum playing, ardent atheist---I'll be sure to show him this cool video :)

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:12:00 UTC | #308125

epeeist's Avatar Comment 9 by epeeist

Comment #323306 by Isaksson:

You can get lists of gods without too much of a problem, http://www.godchecker.com/ is a good source, as is http://friendlyatheist.com/2008/02/11/gods-we-dont-believe-in/

You might try http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Christian_denominations if your friends are Christian

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:19:00 UTC | #308129

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 10 by Frankus1122

I have goosebumps!

The first post I ever made on this site was in relation to Rush.

Rush with Max Webster was one of the first rock concerts I ever attended.

Cool.

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:24:00 UTC | #308131

j.mills's Avatar Comment 11 by j.mills

Cool! This would make a great poster - ideally with all known religions shown, with the font presumably becoming smaller and smaller as the tree becomes more fractalline.

Ah, me. How lucky I am to be alive at a time when I can use an adjective like fractalline, and to a crowd that will understand it! :)

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:27:00 UTC | #308133

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 12 by Frankus1122

I was going to respond:

How lucky I am to be alive at a time when I can look up a word like fractalline with a couple of clicks until I did it and got
'No entries found' in my dictionary.

I get the meaning from the context. I don't think I have ever encountered the word before; I was curious as to the etymology.

Ah, me. How lucky I am to be alive at a time when I can use a word like etymology, and to a crowd that will understand it! :)

Edited for cut and paste error.

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:37:00 UTC | #308138

scottishgeologist's Avatar Comment 13 by scottishgeologist

Superb!! The music "works" really well with the video. There is something almost disturbing about it all - quite an "edge" to it.

A bit like that "nuclear war" vid that is all over YouTube to the sound of "requiem for a dream"

Anyway, I've shown this link before but taking one tiny bit of the tree, in my homeland we get this sort of thing:

And it doesnt take into account the split in David Robertson's church in 2000 when a bunch left to set up yet another denomination

In fact the way things are going, there might well be more splitting in Scottish presbyterianism over this issue:

yes a gay minister......

:-)

SG

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:40:00 UTC | #308139

quisquose's Avatar Comment 14 by quisquose

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:41:00 UTC | #308140

scottishgeologist's Avatar Comment 15 by scottishgeologist

Hey, just thought, to join threads together, arent Rush from Toronto'

:-))

\m/ \m/

SG

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:44:00 UTC | #308141

ggab7768's Avatar Comment 16 by ggab7768

"Hey, just thought, to join threads together, arent Rush from Toronto'"

Well, I know they're Canadian, but I don't hold that against them.
Seriously though (yes, it was a joke) as a bass player, I am required to love Rush.
I saw them a few years back and it was the first time since the 70's that they played 2112 straight through. Amazing!!

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:51:00 UTC | #308142

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 18 by Frankus1122

arent Rush from Toronto?

Yes. A friend of mine used to deliver the newspaper to Geddy Lee. He never answered the door when it came to collection time. It's not that he didn't pay, he just got his wife to answer the door. My friend could see him through the window ignoring the doorbell. We thought that was pretty cool as kids.

Also another bit of completely irrelevant info:

I got my Rush concert tickets through my cousin who was best friends with Neil Peart's sister.
So, by extension, I am a pretty special guy. :D!

Hey! How about this for a bus slogan:

Rush are from Toronto and they are Atheists. Be cool. Be an Atheist.

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:52:00 UTC | #308144

bentleyd's Avatar Comment 17 by bentleyd

Great video, and I'm sure all of us free thinkers got the point. I suspect a religious nutter might recognize his obscure sect out on one of the branches and still conclude that his is the one true faith.

It would have been nice if they slowed it down to half speed, where you could better read it.

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:52:00 UTC | #308143

Knucklesdude's Avatar Comment 19 by Knucklesdude

Good 'ol Chuck D. comes to save the day once again!

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:55:00 UTC | #308147

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 20 by Dhamma

This was bloody fantastic!

The ending was hilarious and quite powerful. But of course, everyone is wrong in the entire tree except their specific branch...

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:56:00 UTC | #308148

Ailes du Serpent's Avatar Comment 21 by Ailes du Serpent

Slick animation, definetly.

Just two oddities that I've noticed... somewhere (around 1:56 in the youtube version) there is a branch of the 'jewish tree' that's called "State of Israel"... errr I don't quite know what to make of this. Have several explanations, would like to hear what the correct one is...

And Darwin as the big chopper of the trees ? A little more nuance here maybe...

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 11:59:00 UTC | #308150

HappyCamper's Avatar Comment 22 by HappyCamper

Best band on earth imo, was pretty surprised to see um posted here. Malignant Narcissism fits the idea behind religion perfectly.

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:06:00 UTC | #308153

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 23 by Dhamma

Serpent,

Doesn't look like Darwin to me. If I am wrong, I agree it would lack nuance.

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:10:00 UTC | #308154

quisquose's Avatar Comment 25 by quisquose

It also remids me of this video.

The History Of Religion In Under 2 Mins.

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:16:00 UTC | #308157

Isaksson's Avatar Comment 24 by Isaksson

>Comment #323311 by epeeist

Thank you. That "Gods we don't believe in" list will come to good use!

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:16:00 UTC | #308156

the way's Avatar Comment 26 by the way

Comment #323336 by Dhamma

Doesn't look like Darwin to me.

Looked like he was "Thor" because all the other gods had pithed him off!

Edited for pithy humour

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:25:00 UTC | #308160

MaxD's Avatar Comment 27 by MaxD

Maybe to prevent further growth, so the axe man has time to work, we could come up with method of ruining these tree's apical meristems? I don't know just a thought.

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 12:30:00 UTC | #308162

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 28 by DamnDirtyApe

Well technically the nametag was Chuck D and he doesn't look exactly like him either. :)

Still, he definately looked like he was about to fight the power.

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 13:01:00 UTC | #308170

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 29 by Peacebeuponme

Well, clearly it is supposed to be Charles Darwin, since Chuck is a nickname for charles.

Carlton Douglas Ridenhour, being a member of Nation of Islam ('tis a pity), probably wouldn't appreciate the video.

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 13:14:00 UTC | #308174

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 30 by NewEnglandBob

I loved the end:

"Axes of Good".

Go ahead, Rush, swing away!

This video also emphasizes the tremendous waste of religions. What all that effort could have been used for, instead of religions, is mind bending.

Sun, 18 Jan 2009 13:16:00 UTC | #308176