← The Four Horsemen HD - Now on YouTube

The Four Horsemen HD - Now on YouTube - Comments

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 1 by SilentMike

That's great.

Everybody remember to rate. The creationist votebots are swarming YouTube. Don't let them win.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:32:00 UTC | #329463

Dr. Strangegod's Avatar Comment 2 by Dr. Strangegod

Good to see. Spread the word. When I watched this about a year ago, I thought SH and DCD made the best points, though I'd have to dig a bit to find the actual quotes.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:37:00 UTC | #329468

Lithium_joe's Avatar Comment 3 by Lithium_joe

I really am very appreciative of the RDF to make so many of these videos available (3 Horsemen, uncut interviews, Voices of Science and Reason etc.)

I am just curious: since these are available to be purchased on dvd, I'm just wondering what the reasoning behind making them available for free (and now in HD!)

I'm not complaining, mind - I, however, am genuinely puzzled - doesn't this undermine your ability to generate funds for the the RDF?

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:37:00 UTC | #329469

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 4 by SilentMike

3. Comment #345389 by Lithium_joe

I ordered my DVD pack partly because the RDF has made an effort to make these videos available to everyone. I see these videos as having an educational value. If by buying them I'm encouraging this kind of bahviour, than I'm happy to do so.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:41:00 UTC | #329471

Josh Timonen's Avatar Comment 5 by Josh Timonen

First and foremost RDFRS is about educating the public, in as many ways as we can. The DVDs are a way for our supporters to help us fund these video projects (in addition to donations), but we want these videos to be available to everyone, everywhere, all the time. Email them, tell your coworkers about them around the water cooler, etc.

All of us can help spread rational thinking and scientific ideas.

Josh

PS: I was up in Oregon visiting my family for Thanksgiving last year, and a friend of mine started telling me about this great video he saw online with Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, etc—just having this great discussion that you'd never see on TV, and how it really made him think, and how much he loved it. Of course I was excitedly trying to tell him that I shot it!—but that's beside the point. What matters is that the video is out there on the web for all to discover.

Also, the DVD arguably looks better if you have a DVD player with 1080p upscaling, it has chapter markers, and has a booklet with chapter notes.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:55:00 UTC | #329477

JacksonDane's Avatar Comment 6 by JacksonDane

My first time watching this, it really is great hearing a conversation like this between so many excellent authors/thinkers.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 11:57:00 UTC | #329478

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 7 by aquilacane

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:08:00 UTC | #329482

dhudson0001's Avatar Comment 8 by dhudson0001

As an aside, it's funny how odd and out of place the phrase "creationist votebots are swarming YouTube" would have sounded to me a mere couple of years ago.
Also, Isn't it ironic how the creationist fundies continue to "evolve" tactics to combat freethought and rational thought?

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:11:00 UTC | #329484

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 9 by SilentMike

8. Comment #345404 by dhudson0001

Ironic. And very annoying. It seems these guys are not capable of playing fair. Maybe it's because they have a feeling as to what the end result of the game may be if they do.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:16:00 UTC | #329487

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 10 by aquilacane

What the hell is a votebot?

Edit: Is Richard double-fisting in this vid?

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:22:00 UTC | #329492

HeyBishop's Avatar Comment 12 by HeyBishop

Woah - I love HD. I can read the titles of the books on the shelves in the background.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:29:00 UTC | #329499

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 11 by SilentMike

10. Comment #345412 by aquilacane

A bot is a program/script that does something automatic on the internet that usualy would be done by a human. A chatbot for example is a program that can handle itself in a chat and post messages at other users automatically.

A YouTube votebot is a program/script that automatically logs on to YouTube useing multiple acount in order to vote or favorate videos. Such programs can be used to pull a rating up or down. Creationists on YouTube have, for some months now, been attempting to use votebots to lower the ratings of pro-science users.

Edit:

An example:

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:29:00 UTC | #329498

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 13 by SilentMike

I don't know why my link doesn't link. Just copy/paste or something.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:35:00 UTC | #329506

Mister Chong's Avatar Comment 14 by Mister Chong

This video has been around for donkeys' years, and I'm sure we've all seen it. What's HD going to add? Ability to see their wrinkles in more detail? I don't understand.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:41:00 UTC | #329512

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 15 by Matt H.

Chong, you are not being asked to pay to see those videos, so I don't see the point in criticising the re-release of them in HD.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:43:00 UTC | #329514

SilentMike's Avatar Comment 16 by SilentMike

14. Comment #345432 by Mister Chong

Not everyone has seen this. See comment #345398. Of course youtube is full of people that have not seen this yet. And having it all in one piece instead of sliced up to 10 minute clips, and in HD, will make it more appealing. I think.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:45:00 UTC | #329517

root2squared's Avatar Comment 17 by root2squared

Awesome!

I haven't seen this and I just got an hd tv.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:51:00 UTC | #329523

Ewald's Avatar Comment 18 by Ewald

Lovely to see yet another great RD video available on YouTube, this time in HD. I bought the DVD some time ago and love to every now and then let these wise men talk to me in the wee hours of the night.

On a different note, somehow the capitalist in me still feels a little betrayed when seeing material I had to put my hard-earned money down for, just enter the public domain like that. Fortunately, the rational RDFRS supporter in me takes over soon enough and assures me that these actions at least clearly show (pun not intended) where my RDFRS donation money is poured into. And it's used for a great cause indeed. Who knows, I might even be convinced to grab myself a YouTube account simply to support these videos with my votes.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 12:55:00 UTC | #329525

Mister Chong's Avatar Comment 19 by Mister Chong

One thing I'd like to say. The conversations videos, between Richard Dawkins and various famous intellectuals, can be absolute gold, in my opinion. Typically, though, this occurs only when they steer clear of the boring subject of atheism.

The conversations with Steven Weinberg or David Buss give us plenty of interesting material to talk about. The conversations with bishops and other religious apologists give us nothing to do but sneer at the opposition, or compliment ourselves for being atheists. This is exactly what most regulars on this site have been doing the past few years.

I hope Richard is reading this. His conversation videos about science are wonderful. His conversations videos about religion make me want to shout out: "LEARN SOME NEW CHORDS!"

That being said, I thoroughly enjoyed the Four Horsemen video, even though in large part it does concern itself with religion. Perhaps that was because Richard didn't feel the need to chant once again his customary mantra.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:07:00 UTC | #329537

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 20 by aquilacane

Ah, you need to be signed in to rate. Well that explains why I couldn't find the vote button. Too bad, another password to forget isn't in the cards

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:10:00 UTC | #329542

Mister Chong's Avatar Comment 21 by Mister Chong

This is amazing. It appears that no dissent whatever is tolerated on this website. Given the disgraceful censorship of even the slightest disagreement with Richard Dawkins' views, I fail to see how this community is any improvement on the religions it sets out to condemn. My following two posts were promptly deleted:

Comment #345432 by Mister Chong on February 23, 2009 at 12:41 pm

Comment #345458 by Mister Chong on February 23, 2009 at 1:07 pm

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:41:00 UTC | #329561

Lithium_joe's Avatar Comment 22 by Lithium_joe

Comment #345397

Thanks for the explanation Josh.

I hope you don't mind my asking, it's just a question I've had brewing for a while now. (Ever since the uncut interviews from Enemies of Reason started appearing in fact.) That was the next dvd I was thinking of buying (I already have both "Voices" DVDs and the 4 horsemen).

I suppose the point I was making was the decision to buy would now be driven by a desire to support RDFRS or just to own the dvd and have access to it offline, rather than purely curiosity about content.

I don't intend to judge the difference I just meant to note (Like Ewald noted #345446) to becoming aware of the difference.

I do applaud the sentiment of maximising the opportunities for education and discussion and understand (now) what the intention behind the releases is.

Thanks for the taking the time for clarifying my thinking about it. I appreciate it.

LJ.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:45:00 UTC | #329566

Goldy's Avatar Comment 23 by Goldy

Comment #345483 by Mister Chong
And maybe some new chords would be well learned by you too :-)

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:46:00 UTC | #329568

Gregg Townsend's Avatar Comment 24 by Gregg Townsend

19. Comment #345483 by Mister Chong

I completely agree! It is disgraceful that your posts are being shifted to the alternate comment thread.

Everyone, if you must use the troll button, please do it with extreme reluctance. We are making these threads unreadable!

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:46:00 UTC | #329569

Lithium_joe's Avatar Comment 25 by Lithium_joe

I should add when I've posted links to this this video I've had positive comments back from people who hadn't seen it before.
It's a tremendous things to see and listen to writers of such eloquence and insight in open discussion.

Anecdotally, I'd say the strategy seems to be working!

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:49:00 UTC | #329573

Sciros's Avatar Comment 26 by Sciros

Chong, posts aren't deleted. They're just moved to the shit pile. I didn't troll you, but let me attempt to explain why others presumably did.

While it's true that your comment about the HD video of the Four Horsement being freely available online solely for wrinkle detail was insightful and exactly the kind of "clear thinking" that this site is an oasis for, it was your crude use of the the word 'donkeys', which conjures up images of large penises, that doomed you.

The second comment, while a gripping tale of your distaste for Richard's approach -- and one you really don't repeat enough -- suffered from a total non-sequitur. Why does Richard need to learn new chords? I have never even heard him play guitar.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 13:50:00 UTC | #329575

righton's Avatar Comment 27 by righton

Chong,

Even though I find your posts incredibly annoying, I agree they should not be trolled. The troll button is stupid and should only be used in extreme situations.

Many people on this site like to talk about religion and atheism. Also there are a lot of new people who are not familiar with these topics and have questions. You are not going to get everyone to stop talking about it so why don't you just post on threads that are science related?

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:05:00 UTC | #329589

Mister Chong's Avatar Comment 28 by Mister Chong

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:06:00 UTC | #329590

Mister Chong's Avatar Comment 29 by Mister Chong

OK, but really, I'm not trying to troll.

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:11:00 UTC | #329597

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 30 by Dhamma

What other intellectual but Hitchens would sit in a discussion with some of the greatest minds and smoke?

Guess that's why I love him: he doesn't give a shit!

Mon, 23 Feb 2009 14:27:00 UTC | #329616