← Richard Dawkins' live streaming lecture today

Richard Dawkins' live streaming lecture today - Comments

Newk's Avatar Comment 1 by Newk

Timezone info :( ?

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:18:00 UTC | #336799

Adez's Avatar Comment 2 by Adez

Newk, it airs 20.30 in Copenhagen time and here is the direct link to it http://www.nhm.ac.uk/nature-online/nature-live/live-webcast/index.html

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:22:00 UTC | #336801

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 3 by Quetzalcoatl

Newk-

7.30pm=

3.30pm East Coast US
2.30pm Central
12.30pm West Coast

You haven't mentioned where you are in the world!

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:23:00 UTC | #336802

en0tjh's Avatar Comment 4 by en0tjh

Richard!!! It's Saint Patrick's Day, why do you have to do this to me!!! Oh well, too many calories in Guinness anyway :)

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:24:00 UTC | #336803

dhudson0001's Avatar Comment 5 by dhudson0001

My guess is that it is 7:30 GMT-so, for those of us in the states it would be 3:30 EST...

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:26:00 UTC | #336805

Newk's Avatar Comment 6 by Newk

Thanks Adez and Quetzalcoatl :) ...

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:29:00 UTC | #336807

Ewald's Avatar Comment 7 by Ewald

2. Comment #352894 by Adez on March 17, 2009 at 9:22 am

Even more direct link (or something like that :) ) for direct copy-paste into your favourite media player:

Either way: exciting!

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:38:00 UTC | #336808

Eshto's Avatar Comment 8 by Eshto

Quetz:

Do you mean 12:30 PM West Coast?

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:39:00 UTC | #336810

cristinabories's Avatar Comment 9 by cristinabories

If you follow the links it is the National History Museum in London, which means 7:30 GMT and with Quetzacoatl handy conversion timezone conversion you should be able to get a good start BEFORE st. patrick's day obligatory drinking. (in the US).

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:39:00 UTC | #336811

Quetzalcoatl's Avatar Comment 10 by Quetzalcoatl

Eshto-

Do you mean 12:30 PM West Coast?

That's what I wrote.

* Looks innocent *

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:40:00 UTC | #336812

severalspeciesof's Avatar Comment 11 by severalspeciesof

Damned...

Going to have to see this after the fact... ;-(

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:44:00 UTC | #336813

SaganTheCat's Avatar Comment 12 by SaganTheCat

i'll try to catch this one...

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:45:00 UTC | #336814

DiveMedic's Avatar Comment 13 by DiveMedic

Damnit!

I am stuck with the fundie in-laws today. I hope that it will be archived so I can watch when I get home.

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 09:48:00 UTC | #336815

black wolf's Avatar Comment 14 by black wolf

The stream is live already, I can see Richard get ready and they're doing all that mic/cable stuff right now.

edit: nice zoology tie.

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:06:00 UTC | #336820

bluebird's Avatar Comment 15 by bluebird

Not sure if I can catch this @ 2:30 CDT, but surely do appreciate it being offered!!

It's a good day for science; NASA shuttle is scheduled to rendezvous with ISS this aft., and,
we watched via webcam the successful launch of ESA's goce:

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:11:00 UTC | #336822

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 16 by helen sotiriadis

very cool... i can see them prepping now!

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:15:00 UTC | #336823

cyril smedgethorpe's Avatar Comment 17 by cyril smedgethorpe

The lecture timing clashes with Bish Bosh (Eastenders) but I'll probably listen anyway with the the telly turned down low.

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:31:00 UTC | #336825

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 18 by NewEnglandBob

5. Comment #352898 by dhudson0001:

It is at 3:30 EDT, not EST

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:38:00 UTC | #336827

DoctorE's Avatar Comment 19 by DoctorE

YES, this will be fun!!

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 10:48:00 UTC | #336829

Jamie V's Avatar Comment 20 by Jamie V

I was at the Natural History Museum a couple of weekends ago. I didn't manage to get into the Darwin exhibition because my three year old just wanted to see the dinosaurs and other animals. It was slightly less crowded than usual, so I managed to read a few more of the inscriptions than I normally would.

I really can't understand how people could go to the museum and not dismiss any concept of a creator afterwards. I had a chat with my wife before we went and I asked her if we were going to give our son the works about evolution if he asked. She replied "Of course - evolution is a fact!"

I think we'll let him discover about Santa for himself, though...

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:03:00 UTC | #336832

ina.j's Avatar Comment 21 by ina.j

guys, how can you see them prep? I just see the annoucement about the lecture.
Just very worried that won't get to see the lecture itself, due to overload, some incompatibility with players or smth.

[EDIT] well, JamieV, some dinosaurs have saddles in other museums, so they don't prove that much...

[EDIT] Thanks blackwolf

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:16:00 UTC | #336833

black wolf's Avatar Comment 22 by black wolf

Comment #352926 by ina.j,
don't worry. Apparently they were just testing the connection. They're offline now.

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:19:00 UTC | #336834

Vanpastel's Avatar Comment 23 by Vanpastel

Comment #352926 by ina.j
I'm also getting the anouncement.

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:20:00 UTC | #336835

John Yates's Avatar Comment 24 by John Yates

I just see a screen that tells you when the lecture starts- no prep for me either. :(

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:21:00 UTC | #336836

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 25 by Diacanu

black wolf-

Eh, the prep stuff don't interest me.

Richard's too damned nice, ya never hear juicy off the cuff mumblings like...

"*Contemptuous sneer* I hate the smell of tapioca".

"Get the fuck out my face! *Kicks old man*".

"I said chai latte mothfucka!!!! *throws it*".

"What the fuck town am I in this week, anyways? It's all a fucking blur. Jesus Christ, don't I hate these fucking podunk towns. *Anguished sigh*...and the fucking people. Look at 'em, look at 'em, filling their horrible quivering maws with fried dough...look at that one rooting for nose gold....Jayzus fuggin Kee-rist! Give me the fucking strength to get through this Bosch painting alive and sane...".

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:22:00 UTC | #336837

black wolf's Avatar Comment 26 by black wolf

Diacanu,
I was kind of hoping for a moment like that, but they were just adjusting the lights and the camera angles, checking if the powerpoint works etc.
Some 'Richard Dawkins meets Spinal Tap' moment would be... interesting.
XD

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:25:00 UTC | #336838

ina.j's Avatar Comment 27 by ina.j

I am sorry, a bit trivial stuff: the Open University website has a special page for discussion on the lecture.

In my time I was employed at a museum. It works like that: you propose a project (lecture, exhibition - lecture and streaming in this case), then you have to report on its success (to a particular sponsor or during general peidical reporting). The success of a project is evaluated by numbers attended, left comments in guest book, getting in touch on the matter later.

We each should leave a comment on the page. It will help to advocate a posteriori the event to supervisory bodies, sponsors, etc. And would help to prove that similar events are desired.

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:30:00 UTC | #336840

gusg's Avatar Comment 28 by gusg

@en0tjh re: calories in guinness...

Actually...guinness is quite good, relative to other beers, on the calories front. It's about 126 calories a pint..which isn't too bad.

It's the munchies you get from a few pints of the dark stuff that is the problem. I'm surprised Guinness haven't followed up their "book of world records" with a "book of extraordinary sandwich fillings".

There's manys a night I've arrived home after a few scoops and concocted some of the most extraordinary sandwiches known to mankind.

looking forward to the lecture tonight..
incidentally, I posted a link earlier on the forum to where you could post questions to be raised in the Q&A session afterwards..

edited: just checked..that questions thread is now closed but you can still read the questions that may come up...some interesting ones there.

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:33:00 UTC | #336841

Tezcatlipoca's Avatar Comment 29 by Tezcatlipoca

Comment #352906 by severalspeciesof

I see Skylark like water fresh from the magic fountain.

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:39:00 UTC | #336842

jdaudett's Avatar Comment 30 by jdaudett

I hope this gets posted online after it's done. I have a final exam in a little more than 1 hour.

Tue, 17 Mar 2009 11:51:00 UTC | #336843