← Video of girl's flogging as Taliban hand out justice

Video of girl's flogging as Taliban hand out justice - Comments

GandalfGrey's Avatar Comment 1 by GandalfGrey

Highly disturbing.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 08:31:00 UTC | #375574

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 2 by robotaholic

I am not watching this, but thanks for the awareness. That place sounds like hell.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 08:31:00 UTC | #375575

stevenLagnew's Avatar Comment 3 by stevenLagnew

Her screams are muffled by the burka she's forced to wear.

Depressing

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 08:35:00 UTC | #375576

Galapagos's Avatar Comment 4 by Galapagos

The video is made even more disturbing the unflinching presence of all the bystanders(cowards) in the background. One man comes in about 3/4s through, either to help hold the woman down more or to comfort her by touching her, I am not able to discern which.
Disgusting.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 08:45:00 UTC | #375577

black wolf's Avatar Comment 5 by black wolf

Remember, this is in Pakistan, an ally of the West, who thought it was a wise move to accomodate and appease fanatics by giving them a piece of the land.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 08:47:00 UTC | #375579

Squigit's Avatar Comment 6 by Squigit

56 seconds into and I am already tearing up and a bit nauseaous. Disgusting, repulsive..and yes, Galapagos, it is made more so by the bystanders watching as if she actually deserves this and/or it is just another day, another whipping of a woman...

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 08:54:00 UTC | #375581

justncase80's Avatar Comment 7 by justncase80

This is actually a really old video and interestingly enough there have been some follow up news reports saying that this video might have actually been a turning point for the influence the Taliban have had in Afghanistan.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 08:55:00 UTC | #375582

MarshallEvans's Avatar Comment 8 by MarshallEvans

If any of these shameless empowered men are carrying a gun while not flogging women they are gonna hear this loud noise, look up, and see Allah soon. Justice by hellfire missiles!!

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:00:00 UTC | #375583

scottishgeologist's Avatar Comment 9 by scottishgeologist

So this is how belief in a "deity" as a source of morality manifests itself, this being the muzzie version

The judeo-christian version of course has this:

Pr 13:24 He that spareth his rod hateth his son: but he that loveth him chasteneth him betimes. Pr 22:15 Foolishness is bound in the heart of a child; but the rod of correction shall drive it far from him. Pr 23:13 Withhold not correction from the child: for if thou beatest him with the rod, he shall not die. Pr 23:14 Thou shalt beat him with the rod, and shalt deliver his soul from hell. Pr 29:15 The rod and reproof give wisdom: but a child left to himself bringeth his mother to shame.

Of course, the bible *says* this,but actually its a transcendental truth, it has to be taken in "context" and of course, yes, thats how it translates, but if you were a theologian you would know it means something totally different, because of translation issues, and anyway thats Old Testament stuff, we only have the Moral Law now not the Civic or Ceremonial, what do you mean these verse sound like Moral Law - you an atheist or something£

:-)
SG

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:07:00 UTC | #375584

Clairebear's Avatar Comment 10 by Clairebear

I know a girl who lived for many years in a country where these things happened daily, and the stories she tells me are nightmarish. She's getting treatment for her trauma, because she can't sleep or eat right, and finds it hard to trust people. But she is the most amazing woman I know, and dedicates herself to women's rights.

I'm not watching the video, because I don't care to see it, but it's important that we don't sugarcoat these things and we get them out there so people can see the reality. As a woman, I can't help but ask why we're blamed for everything and hated so much. I might be a 'Western woman' but I can't separate myself from women like the one on video.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:20:00 UTC | #375586

TheLordHumungus's Avatar Comment 11 by TheLordHumungus

2009 everybody... Imagine where we would be without these religions holding billions of people's minds hostage. That woman being flogged could have grown up to discover cold fusion, or lived a life of relative happiness at least. Religious people get so mad about abortion, when they perform post-birth abortions on other human's potential every day.

People like those in this video are a cancer on our humanity, and they will one day destroy us all if we don't stop them.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:29:00 UTC | #375589

MaxD's Avatar Comment 12 by MaxD

I think it is a woman holding her arms. The bastard whipping her strikes the person holding her hands pretty hard. Then other men jump in and try to hold the girl too. Hideous.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:32:00 UTC | #375590

lassewesth's Avatar Comment 13 by lassewesth

"I say we take off and nuke the entire site from orbit. It's the only way to be sure."

Seriously, I wish I knew more of the history of this region, it seems things are regressing? Or are we just getting this kind of information for the first time?

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:32:00 UTC | #375591

black wolf's Avatar Comment 14 by black wolf

scottishgeologist,
sadly many evangelical/Protestant/Baptist whatever they call themselves Christians have no problem at all following those verses. In fact, they trot them out as guidance - Bible says it, so it's good. They publish dozens of books about child rearing based on that shit:
yes, a book about raising children by Ken 'vegetarian dinosaurs rode Noah's Ark' Ham.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:38:00 UTC | #375592

moniz's Avatar Comment 15 by moniz

Islam, the religion of peace. Yeah, right.

Two wrong don't make a right, but I can't help wishing I could flog those bastards for such cruel behavior.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:39:00 UTC | #375593

DoctorE's Avatar Comment 16 by DoctorE

Religion of little insecure men... thats what islam was made for

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:41:00 UTC | #375594

phatbat's Avatar Comment 17 by phatbat

Disgusting little men.

Of course the fact is that although they think they know the mind of god, they don't at all, other people know the mind of god much better than them. These other people have got it right for sure, they know this because of superior interpreting skills which they are able to check using this special faith device that i've heard of that trully does allow you to "know" when you have the correct information.

If only these little bastards could understand this very simple concept.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:43:00 UTC | #375595

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 18 by Ignorant Amos

Cowardly Scumbags!!!!

Give me five seconds....just five, they wouldn't be thrashing anybody else.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:45:00 UTC | #375596

beanson's Avatar Comment 19 by beanson

I wonder how many of those men are sustaining erections?

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:45:00 UTC | #375597

phatbat's Avatar Comment 20 by phatbat

16. Comment #392934 by moniz

True, but you assume it is wrong to flog the flogger. I would propose that it would actually be a good thing.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:45:00 UTC | #375598

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 21 by Steve Zara

Comment #392938 by beanson

That is quite a good question. This is giving some men power over women that they could never obtain through normal social interactions. It would not surprise me if some got off on it.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:47:00 UTC | #375599

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 22 by Steve Zara

Comment #392939 by phatbat

I think you have written some truly awesome posts recently, but I have to disagree with you here, I am sorry to say.

I think we need to show such people that we are civilized by dealing with them using our own laws and (common) standards. Otherwise it will degrade us towards their level.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:49:00 UTC | #375600

SASnSA's Avatar Comment 23 by SASnSA

And in case anybody missed it in the text, one of the men holding her down is her brother.

"It's symbolic that he does it with his own hands. It gives him honour in local society, that he has done it for the sake of religion."

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 09:54:00 UTC | #375601

friendlypig's Avatar Comment 24 by friendlypig

The ironic thing here is that no matter how disgusting this episode is it was the CIA who created and armed the Taliban to fight the Russians.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:08:00 UTC | #375603

BlueCollar8theist's Avatar Comment 25 by BlueCollar8theist

My biggest disgust with the article is that it fails to identify the root cause of the problem. The word 'Taliban' is a favorite on the lips of many people (especially in the US), but it only refers to a SECT of Islamic belief. The fact that a sect like the Taliban even exists is direct evidence that religion provides power and justification for people to do evil. I encourage the people I hear using phrases like "The evil that the Taliban does..." to modify their thinking a bit. It is the "Evil that RELIGION does!!"

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:09:00 UTC | #375604

wouldbesakota's Avatar Comment 26 by wouldbesakota

Women are the true victims of Islam. I was feeling queasy reading the article, so I didn't watch the video.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:10:00 UTC | #375605

liberalartist's Avatar Comment 27 by liberalartist

I heard on NPR this morning that there is a US offensive against the Taliban in Afghanistan. I hope it works and I hope we destroy that organization once and for all.

With what is going on in Iran and other muslim countries, I think most people are getting sick and tired of these fanatics and their religion. I would like to hope that change is on the horizon...

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:15:00 UTC | #375607

cerebate's Avatar Comment 28 by cerebate

Comment #392941 by Steve Zara

Well our own laws forbid direct interference in another countries affairs (short of declaring war on them). Even as a mostly non violent pacifist, Im hard pressed to see any other solution other than violence towards cases like the Taliban.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:20:00 UTC | #375608

MrPickwick's Avatar Comment 29 by MrPickwick

"A crowd of men stands by, watching silently."
Only religion can accomplish this feat.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:23:00 UTC | #375609

Steven Mading's Avatar Comment 30 by Steven Mading

26. Comment #392945 by BlueCollar8theist on July 2, 2009 at 11:09 am

"Taliban" is not the name of the sect. "Wahhabi" is the name of the sect. "Taliban" is the name of a political group trying to spread that sect. Blame Wahhabi tenets for what these people are doing - that way it also applies to the same sort of garbage going on in Saudi Arabia. (Maybe if more people did that we in the west might eventually get enough of a conscience to realize that support for Saudi Arabia is making us complicit in this sort of atrocity. A woman getting flogged just for being in the same location as a man is just as bad of an affront to human dignity when our allies do it as when our enemies do. Blaming this on just the Taliban sort of glosses over that point. The root problem is the sect that our allies are just as guilty of following as our enemies are.

Thu, 02 Jul 2009 10:31:00 UTC | #375610