← RDF TV - Nebraska Vignettes #6 - Hawaii as a Nursery of Evolution

RDF TV - Nebraska Vignettes #6 - Hawaii as a Nursery of Evolution - Comments

Thurston's Avatar Comment 1 by Thurston

Lovely

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:20:00 UTC | #381963

Adrian Bartholomew's Avatar Comment 2 by Adrian Bartholomew

These really are the perfect length for my attention span (damn you MTV!).

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:37:00 UTC | #381970

AtheistJon's Avatar Comment 3 by AtheistJon

I'd love to visit that place someday.

If only I had the money.

Excellent quality to the HD video here.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 11:40:00 UTC | #381972

EnderBlair's Avatar Comment 4 by EnderBlair

And then Obama went to Hawaii and evolved into a president.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:07:00 UTC | #381976

JMCARVAS's Avatar Comment 5 by JMCARVAS

Excelent! Oh dear, oh dear

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:29:00 UTC | #381982

ods15's Avatar Comment 6 by ods15

RDFTV is my new favorite thing on the web. These videos are wonderful.
I showed the leaf-ants video to my parents, which are usually not biology oriented. They loved it.

Making my donation now. I want more of these videos! Thank you so much!

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:32:00 UTC | #381983

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 7 by mordacious1

As quickly as Drosophila create new generations, you wouldn't think they'd have time for all that mating ritual nonsense.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:36:00 UTC | #381984

debaser71's Avatar Comment 8 by debaser71

Cool.

But I wish someone would sort of go over sexual selection with 'the masses'. IMO there are too many people who over attribute this and start going all crazy.

I'll give an example. I was watching a show on a channel that caters to women (hehe just channel surfing a bit) and they made a claim. That the male penis is shaped and sized the way it is because it gives the female the most pleasure. Huh?

Or that female hips (or lips or breasts or [insert you're personal favorite part here] are shaped the way they are because men like it that way.

People need to stop putting the cart before the horse.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 12:40:00 UTC | #381986

j.mills's Avatar Comment 9 by j.mills

Well, I should think in the cases you mention, debaser71, that the physical forms and the preferences in the opposite sex have co-evolved. They'd kinda have to, or men and women might not like the look of each other, which can't be good for Herr Gene. :)

Apart from that, sorry to have nothing more original to say than to add to the trail of appreciation, but I really like these snack-size videos. And kudos to Josh for the smooth production!

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:17:00 UTC | #381993

debacles's Avatar Comment 10 by debacles

I agree with you totally debaser, but I'd add that those same people who put the cart before the horse simply often forget to include the way we are selected to want more the thing that is sexually selected for. Sexual selection is selected.

EDIT : beat to it

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:18:00 UTC | #381994

Donald Bailey's Avatar Comment 11 by Donald Bailey

I want to thank Richard Dawkins and Josh Timonen for all their efforts to help people understand evolution, and spread the understanding and love for science. Richard Dawkins has had a profound impact on my life, his books have inspired me to want to become a scientist. Keep up the good work because what you are doing is making a difference. I live in Alabama and the majority of people here do not believe evolution is a sufficient explanation for the origin of life. I always try to persuade people to see the truth and these videos have really done more for them then I ever have just by talking. I've actually convinced several people now and have not really had to say a word. Everyone please remember how important it is to donate if it is affordable for you, its worth a few dollars to spread the understanding of science and evolution.

thanks

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:42:00 UTC | #382000

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 12 by Jos Gibbons

Comment #399414 by Donald Bailey

"I live in Alabama and the majority of people here do not believe evolution is a sufficient explanation for the origin of life." And they're right - abiogenesis is not the same as evolution. (If life is defined by its metabolism, evolution started during abiogenesis, after the first self-replicators formed.) If you want to get people to accept evolution, they need to understand what it does and doesn't explain; and, since abiogenesis is somewhat scientifically weaker as of yet (at least in terms of details), we can't afford to have our sketchy knowledge of it dragging down evolution's evidentiary reputation.

On topic, every vignette so far has been superb, including this one. I hope to see loads more in the near future.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 13:52:00 UTC | #382003

A-Farr's Avatar Comment 13 by A-Farr

These little RDF TV clips are wonderful. I'm so happy to see them.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:01:00 UTC | #382006

Quine's Avatar Comment 14 by Quine

<!-- -->These clips are wonderful and give hope that human intelligence can be used to understand the world around us. Just the reverse is shown by Ray C. in the new set of discussion videos put up by Thunderf00t today, starting with the first here.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:38:00 UTC | #382012

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 15 by Steve Zara

Comment #399417 by Jos Gibbons

I am not sure I agree. I have never much liked the abiogenesis/evolution divide myself. There was almost certainly a gradual appearance of the accurate replication of (mainly) DNA that we see today, and if the RNA model of the origin of life is right, then there would have been selection pressures based on nucleotide sequence as soon as the first self-replicating molecule appeared.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:55:00 UTC | #382013

anetchi's Avatar Comment 16 by anetchi

A billion times more exciting and mind bendingly beautiful than the explaination - god did it.
Richard, you are gorgeous! ;)

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 14:58:00 UTC | #382014

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 17 by Steve Zara

How absolutely charming! Dancing and singing fruit flies... wonderful.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:08:00 UTC | #382016

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 18 by Bonzai

Dancing and singing fruit files? We have plenty of them because of the strike by garbage removers.

It is not that charming, I can assure you.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 15:14:00 UTC | #382018

masubi's Avatar Comment 19 by masubi

They are all the same "kind." *cough--gack*

wow...I couldn't say that without gagging.

Live a good life,

Masubi

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:03:00 UTC | #382024

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 20 by SaintStephen

Josh,

Please feel free to post brief, educational vignettes, in audio and video, from the life and travels of Richard Dawkins, no matter where he is... the loo and his bedroom being notable exceptions, of course.

!!!

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:11:00 UTC | #382029

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 21 by phil rimmer

These little films are proving to be positive gems. What a fabulous collection/resource they will make. The thing is they get to something wonderful in a few sentences. As a parent of teens, despairing sometimes of their attention span, I find these are doing the trick every time.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:21:00 UTC | #382030

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 22 by phil rimmer

Comment #399426 by Quine

I think Thunderf00t is doing remarkably well given his endless politeness in the face of astonishingly muddled questions and points made to him.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:30:00 UTC | #382031

Mark Jones's Avatar Comment 23 by Mark Jones

Marvellous stuff, once again. Thanks to Josh, Richard and RDF TV.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:44:00 UTC | #382032

Gnu Atheist's Avatar Comment 24 by Gnu Atheist

Oh Oh. Don't let Sarah Palin see this! She got all hot & bothered over someone spending taxpayers' dollars on, choke, "FRUIT FLIES!"

My my, what would she think? I'll bet she'd get mad enough to just quit.

Oops, too late.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 16:45:00 UTC | #382033

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 25 by NewEnglandBob

RDF TV is one of the most exciting ideas around for educating today's general masses as well as pleasant and entertaining for those who already know much about evolution.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:05:00 UTC | #382035

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 26 by SaintStephen

Comment 399449 by NewEnglandBob:

I totally agree. Furthermore, RDF TV has no silly-ass capitalistic or commercial agenda -- except to teach the facts.

Calling what Richard is doing "TV" is almost a disservice, at least compared to most TV in the States.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 17:15:00 UTC | #382036

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 27 by Jos Gibbons

Comment #399427 by Steve Zara

The divide is certainly not as clear-cut as is often said - after all, natural selection began during abiogenesis, not after it - but the fact is early aspects of abiogenesis are beyond Darwinian explanation. If someone asks me about that, I'll talk about some of the plausible models, like those of Jack Szostak. But evolution stands or falls no matter what happens there. Admittedly the true battle is rationality per se rather than evolution specifically, but ... one step at a time. Maybe get people to the Ken Miller standard before we push things any further? Still though, room for both approaches I guess.

Fri, 24 Jul 2009 23:05:00 UTC | #382060

Roy_H's Avatar Comment 28 by Roy_H

Comment #399426 by Quine on July 24, 2009 at 3:38 pm

I just watched those on Youtube, I am a great fan of Thunderf00t. The "Why Do People Laugh at Creationists" series of videos he did there are pure gems. Ray (Crocoduck ) Comfort knows damn all about science and it shows. BTW, like TF, I would rather be described as one of the "Pearlist"(Physical Evidence and Reasoned Logic Supporter ) than an atheist or a even a bright!

Sat, 25 Jul 2009 01:00:00 UTC | #382085

zengardener's Avatar Comment 29 by zengardener

phil rimmer

"The problem is, the match is SO ill-balanced that Thunderf00t could come off looking bad just through spending all that time helping his opponent to form coherent questions."

If they can form a coherent question, they will already be on the path to understanding. Coherent question are exactly what scientists can answer.

Sat, 25 Jul 2009 01:20:00 UTC | #382090

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 30 by rod-the-farmer

Steve, is it fair to describe the chemical processes that may be the cause of abiogenesis as evolution ?? I have always considered natural selection as a process requiring one or more life forms, by definition. Therefore evolution cannot operate until abiogenesis has finished.....just my opinion. (I am not a biologist).

Sat, 25 Jul 2009 01:22:00 UTC | #382092