← Professor Dawkins On Bestselling Book

Professor Dawkins On Bestselling Book - Comments

krhes's Avatar Comment 1 by krhes

As ever, Prof. Dawkins is calmly and superbly rational and informative (and touchingly un-strident).

How amusing to see the fear in the face of the interviewer to be tainted as both intelligent and an atheist. Argh - which one is worse!!

If only the intelligent and unsuperstitous would inherit (and populate) the earth...

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 15:58:00 UTC | #396582

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 2 by NewEnglandBob

A lively interview. The interviewer asked good questions.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:04:00 UTC | #396583

photonfan's Avatar Comment 3 by photonfan

Big red letter A with 'Aren't you?' beneath.

This should be the next T-shirt!

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:06:00 UTC | #396585

Thurston's Avatar Comment 4 by Thurston

Great interview, great points raised and an interviewer who lets his guest speak. Hooray!

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:10:00 UTC | #396586

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 5 by KRKBAB

"You are an Atheist right?- Yes, aren't you?" AWESOME response. For many more reasons than R. Dawkins pointed out. It sounded as if he was insinuating that we should assume atheism as the logical default position, even though that's not how he explained it. I can't wait to utter that phrase the next time someone asks me if I am an atheist. Then if they say "no I'm not, why?"- I could say "oh, excuse me, but you seem like an intelligent person, so I assumed you were an Atheist". What a conversation starter that would be.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 16:16:00 UTC | #396588

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 6 by Matt H.

I agree with photonfan. 'Aren't You?' should be the next phase of The Out Campaign.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 17:17:00 UTC | #396623

Josh Timonen's Avatar Comment 7 by Josh Timonen

Something like this?

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:02:00 UTC | #396645

ukvillafan's Avatar Comment 8 by ukvillafan

I want one - great idea. "Aren't you?" - brilliant!

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:27:00 UTC | #396655

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 9 by Richard Dawkins

Something like this?

Richard\

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 18:48:00 UTC | #396668

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 10 by Frankus1122

YES! too!

It would be a great conversation starter.

Can I get one before I see Richard in Toronto on September 29?
Maybe he could bring some with him.
I'll buy one.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:02:00 UTC | #396672

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 11 by SaintStephen

Where can I buy one?

EDIT: What a brilliant performance. Strident? Do you mean this gentle genius sitting on the left side of your TV screen? Give me a break.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:05:00 UTC | #396673

bendigeidfran's Avatar Comment 12 by bendigeidfran

Tag something on to show we are not lacking anything by being unbelievers. 'Whole' perhaps.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 19:14:00 UTC | #396675

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 13 by Ignorant Amos

T-shirt....me,me,me....gimme,gimme,gimme!

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 20:24:00 UTC | #396701

Lisa Bauer's Avatar Comment 14 by Lisa Bauer

"You are proudly and avowedly atheist--"
"Aren't you?"

"The reason I interjected 'aren't you?' is that I get a bit fed up with being wheeled out as 'the atheist,' when actually most of the intelligent people you meet are atheists, and I suspect you are too."

Well, that may very well be the case in the UK or Europe. In the US, it's definitely more iffy, although no doubt many of these intelligen people who profess belief are not being totally honest. And a lot of other places, well...

Still, it's a striking sentiment and T-shirt!

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 20:27:00 UTC | #396702

NeedsEvidence's Avatar Comment 15 by NeedsEvidence

Congratulations for your latest success, Mr. Dawkins. Looking forward to reading your new book soon.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:14:00 UTC | #396724

HenryFord's Avatar Comment 16 by HenryFord

If you made the question mark a little bit bigger (about 20-25% maybe), I reckon that t-shirt would be bob on.

It's a sentiment I've felt (although not expressed in such a delightfully simple and eloquent way) many times. I'm happy that I'm in a job where it is presumed that everyone's an atheist and it's the religious who are considered a bit odd (though if I were in the states things would be radicaly reversed, with it being presumed I were a god-botherer).

Wonderful to see Richard calling the interviewer out on it. I think a bit of the tension in the interview was removed after that line and the interviewer seemed to act in a more mature manner, asking some very good questions. It's as though he had been brieffed to put up a controversial fight, but when he realised he couldn't honestly engage in that he started enjoying himself and the interview improved.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:29:00 UTC | #396730

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 17 by Styrer-

A quick endorsement of all the previous posters' praise - this was a superb little interview, with Richard obviously at the peak of his powers, swift, eloquent, precise and thought-provoking despite the limited time available. This was a real pick-me-up, and deftly done.

Sean

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:35:00 UTC | #396735

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 18 by rod-the-farmer

KRKBAB

I can't wait to utter that phrase the next time someone asks me if I am an atheist. Then if I pose the same question to them, in return, if they say "no I'm not, why?"- I could say "oh, excuse me, but you seem like an intelligent person, so I assumed you were an Atheist". What a conversation starter that would be.

Added italics for clarity

I like that very much. With your permission, I will use it myself.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 21:36:00 UTC | #396738

BigJohn's Avatar Comment 19 by BigJohn

A couple of things:

1) I think that the random element of evolution confuses people because they do not understand that the random genetic changes which occur are filtered by natural selection.

2) I want a shirt! Please! A very large one(3XLT or 4XLT), but, I really want a shirt! Josh? You seem to be able to do anything(not a smart ass remark), I know that you can make it happen. I would prefer to buy it here in the USA if possible though.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 22:16:00 UTC | #396756

bentleyd's Avatar Comment 20 by bentleyd

After replying, "Aren't you?", if the questioner insists "No, I'm not", you could follow up with, "Well then, do you believe in Buddha?, Allah?, Thor?, Zeus?, etc, etc" If not, why not?

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 22:34:00 UTC | #396758

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 21 by robotaholic

That was awesome!

Aren't you£

lmao

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 22:45:00 UTC | #396761

Fuzzy Duck's Avatar Comment 22 by Fuzzy Duck

Next time someone asks me, I'll do my part and spread the "Aren't you?" meme. I love the idea that we should assume it as a default position.

-Kevin

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 22:51:00 UTC | #396762

Bala's Avatar Comment 23 by Bala

Until the T arrives, here's some wallpaper for the rest of us

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:07:00 UTC | #396765

Bala's Avatar Comment 24 by Bala

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:08:00 UTC | #396767

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 25 by Frankus1122

Good job once again seabala.

I left a comment on your deviant site.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:09:00 UTC | #396769

Bala's Avatar Comment 26 by Bala

I can make bigger ones too if anyone wants.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:10:00 UTC | #396770

Bala's Avatar Comment 27 by Bala

Thnx mate. much appreciated.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:13:00 UTC | #396771

prolibertas's Avatar Comment 28 by prolibertas

'Aren't you?' is an awesome meme. I love it.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:17:00 UTC | #396772

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 29 by Frankus1122

I like the fact that it is unashamed and challenging. It normalizes atheism; pushes it more into the mainstream.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:21:00 UTC | #396773

Matt H.'s Avatar Comment 30 by Matt H.

It just sounded great the moment he said it. I thought it was a very good interview overall, too. I had forgotten how good Adam Boulton really is - I stopped watching Sky News as it became more and more sensationalised, and frankly I think Boulton is wasted on that channel.

Nice T-shirt and wallpapers. I'd be tempted to buy a T-shirt if they came up on the store. As other have said, it would be a good conversation starter. Now I'm off to watch Frost/Dawkins. Cheerio.

Sun, 13 Sep 2009 23:29:00 UTC | #396775