← Richard Dawkins in conversation with James Harding, Editor of The Times

Richard Dawkins in conversation with James Harding, Editor of The Times - Comments

0strich's Avatar Comment 1 by 0strich

I really like the Quicktime versions better. I can't view most videos like this or ones from YouTube at work due to network restrictions....

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 10:34:00 UTC | #398583

AtheistJon's Avatar Comment 3 by AtheistJon

Also seems that this interview is cut short...
Is there a part 2 link that is missing?

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:37:00 UTC | #398601

squeegee's Avatar Comment 4 by squeegee

"Tickets, anybody need tickets? Buy or sell," he was saying. Yes, Richard Dawkins is now a target for touts

Yes Folks, atheism has now achieved rockstar status....excellent [said in a Monty Burns like tone]

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:40:00 UTC | #398603

scoobie's Avatar Comment 5 by scoobie

Thanks for the FLV Jos. It's so tiresome having to play stuff on a proprietary player, especially one that doesn't even let you skip.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:42:00 UTC | #398604

AtheistJon's Avatar Comment 6 by AtheistJon

Questions for Anjana Ahuja to put to Richard:

1. There are many things that evolve, not just biological systems. For example, the atmosphere of a planet, engineering (in particular tele-communications), roads (i.e. the highway system), languages, geology, stars (i.e. stellar evolution). Are there any parallel notions of "natural selection" for the evolution of non-biological systems. (Well, some of these are probably covered by memes, but are memes the appropriate units for evolution of atmospheric or stellar systems?)

2. Karl Popper's philosophy of science rejects the use of scientific induction because it is logically not provable that in science, if something happens in the past, it will necessarily happen in the future. Richard often says that you cannot prove scientific facts, but you can attribute scientific probabilities to things. Isn't this probability view of science just a special case of scientific induction? In other words, if some tests show that something occurs according to probability P, what proves that probability P is really true?

3. Richard often quotes the abysmal proportion of Americans who deny that evolution is true. Why does he harp on Americans so much? Does he know what percentage of middle-easterners, russians, italians, africans, chinese, or indians are also evolution deniers? Why not worry about those statistics, too?

That's probably enough questions for now.

Best regards,
Jon

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 11:52:00 UTC | #398608

Nastika's Avatar Comment 7 by Nastika

Understand, understand, understand.

Sounds like a good guiding principle...

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:01:00 UTC | #398611

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 8 by Jos Gibbons

Comment #416739 by AtheistJon

http://timesonline.typepad.com/science/2009/09/fancy-quizzing-richard-dawkins.html#more explains how to quiz RD. You are asked to send in 1 question. She will ask 2 out of all she is sent. It won't be very easy. Long story short, e-mail sciencecentral@thetimes.co.uk

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:15:00 UTC | #398615

AtheistJon's Avatar Comment 9 by AtheistJon

Thanks,

I will send the question by email... I was under the impression that the questions she wanted should be posted on this blog, because of this:

Anjana will also be discussing the book with Professor Dawkins in Manchester on September 23, and she's inviting readers of this blog to suggest questions you'd like her to put to him.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:22:00 UTC | #398618

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 10 by Jos Gibbons

Hyperlinks can be misleading, if you don't notice they're hyperlinks.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 12:46:00 UTC | #398620

Humanist Wikitopian's Avatar Comment 11 by Humanist Wikitopian

Understand, understand, understand.

Couldn't agree more...

"To be ignorant of one's ignorance is the malady of the ignorant. Education is a progressive discovery of our own ignorance."

"'An investment in education always pays the best interest"

"They all have guns..."

Worryingly, this is probably surprisingly accurate. I wonder what this tells us about human society and those who feel the greatest need to own a weapon. However, I now have a sudden and inexplicable urge to go eat a banana...

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:11:00 UTC | #398631

George Lennan's Avatar Comment 12 by George Lennan

OK The Times is a Murdoch paper but as Richard pointed out in a recent thread "it's still The Times!!".

Absolutely delighted that the incumbent editor is a lucid fellow capable of asking serious questions and letting Richard answer in his own time without the mad misinterpretation and mindless meandering so manifest with the majority of modern mass media muppets.

Sorry that last phrase was unintentionally alliterative at first, but later evolved to favour the 'm' meme much as the religion meme commuted from a convenient communal criterion into a consummate crackpot condition.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 13:41:00 UTC | #398642

NoFearNoLimits's Avatar Comment 13 by NoFearNoLimits

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:41:00 UTC | #398670

Bala's Avatar Comment 14 by Bala

Thot I'd add one more to my poster collection. There's more on the other "aren't you" thread if anyone is interested.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 14:54:00 UTC | #398677

0strich's Avatar Comment 15 by 0strich

Comment #416717 by Jos Gibbons

Thanks for that, but all streaming media is restricted on my network - however I can download QT files without issue.

Thanks anyway. Guess this is another that I'll never see.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 16:18:00 UTC | #398705

MAJORPAIN's Avatar Comment 16 by MAJORPAIN

Atheist Jon:

He probably focuses on the US's "abysmal" lack of "belief" in evolution because we've got our finger on the biggest button.

We're supposed to be among the best educated people's on earth and we're becoming mired in religious superstitous non-sense.

Look at the wars we're in. We drag everyone else into them. Like us or hate us, we're the giant elephant in everyone's living room -- worldwide.

It is embarassing to me that we're perceived this way by the rest of the world, because, after all, I'm an atheist and I was born in Arkansas! But, we need Richard to keep poking this stick in our eye because then, maybe just maybe, people will start listening and start learning.

Too optimistic? I hope not...

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 17:09:00 UTC | #398729

fossil-fish's Avatar Comment 17 by fossil-fish

A scientist who talks science in a language for ordinary people. That in itself is quite a gift.

That was both an enjoyable and entertaining 33 minutes. A great interwiew by both parties.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 18:09:00 UTC | #398740

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 18 by SaintStephen

17. Comment #416874 by fossil-fish on September 18, 2009 at 7:09 pm

It was a mesmerizing interview. As usual, IMHO, with anything that includes Richard's handsome mug.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 18:43:00 UTC | #398750

Scrambles's Avatar Comment 19 by Scrambles

Great interview. I've never seen the banana clip on youtube before but just watched it and it is hilrious! Enjoyed the interviewer's joke at the end.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 19:10:00 UTC | #398763

maddness123's Avatar Comment 20 by maddness123

This group is coming to our campus to give a talk. There is a supposed atheist who is going to debate a theist, but I think it's a sham. Can anyone confirm that it is?

The website and event seems to be sponsored by Campus For Christ, a christian-oriented group held at most universities, at least in canada. They are almost trying to update their belief system by going further with this intelligent design delusion by utilizing the grand mystery about what was before the big band...and their answer: an intelligent, malevolent god...

I am so sick of this, but I am going to check it out because I think I'll put up a nice debate once its Q/A time.

email me: restrictedb0y@hotmail.com if you have any thoughts

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 19:26:00 UTC | #398771

maddness123's Avatar Comment 21 by maddness123

Oh by the way, the event is being held at Carleton University, sept 23 - 7pm.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 19:28:00 UTC | #398772

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 22 by Jos Gibbons

Comment #416838 by 0strich
I converted it to AVI, then uploaded it to http://www.sendspace.com/file/l7xecg
Maybe now you don’t have to miss out.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 19:41:00 UTC | #398778

Quine's Avatar Comment 23 by Quine

Understand, understand, understand.
He hit it exactly. This is it for me.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 20:11:00 UTC | #398786

Aratina Cage's Avatar Comment 24 by Aratina Cage

Funny. Richard Dawkins has jumped on the prequel bandwagon. He's gone Hollywood on us!

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 20:17:00 UTC | #398789

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 25 by Border Collie

I really liked this interview. The interviewer was intelligent and didn't ask the usual stupid questions in the usual stupid way. I liked seeing Richard's humorous side. I learn so much more from this type of interview than from the typically contentious type interview. Intelligently dig into a mind like Richard's and the rewards are massive. Thanks for posting this.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 22:15:00 UTC | #398813

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 26 by Border Collie

Oh, and Richard, here in the southern US, they really do teach and preach that Adam and Eve were actually real and people really do believe such. And, from my every day anecdotal experience, I think that much more than forty percent of people don't 'believe' in evolution and do believe that the Earth is less than 10,000 years old. AJ, not taking issue with you here, but I don't know if Richard harps on Americans. If he does, maybe it's because we have no excuse for being ignorant.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 22:19:00 UTC | #398814

j.mills's Avatar Comment 27 by j.mills

maddness123 said (#20):

...utilizing the grand mystery about what was before the big band...and their answer: an intelligent, malevolent god...
Surely it was the jazz quartet?

I have tickets for the Manchester talk! O frabjous day!

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 22:41:00 UTC | #398820

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 28 by Peacebeuponme

Off topic, but I just came across this trailer. Kind of reminds me of this.

Fri, 18 Sep 2009 22:59:00 UTC | #398825

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 29 by robotaholic

Comment #416734 by squeegee

Richard Dawkins is TOTALLY a rockstar! I've been saying that for over a year. This website is my #1 bookmark on my blackberry, on my opera speed dial, I follow on twitter, saw Richard in Norman, Oklahoma, and have his books, audiobooks, have folders of pictures, and I'd have posters if there were any lol

I love the people on this website too. The comments are great.

Sat, 19 Sep 2009 02:15:00 UTC | #398847

NakedCelt's Avatar Comment 30 by NakedCelt

Normally I would be annoyed by the misidentification of a New Zealander as an Australian. But in this case I entirely forgive Richard. Australia is welcome to Ray Comfort.

Sat, 19 Sep 2009 03:11:00 UTC | #398856