← Ardipithecus Is Ready For Her Close-Up

Ardipithecus Is Ready For Her Close-Up - Comments

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 1 by Sally Luxmoore

What amazing dedication.

Any chance of the programme appearing here or on YouTube?

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 14:28:00 UTC | #404838

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 2 by TIKI AL

I wish the talented gentlemen sketching Ardi would have done the South Park renderings of Richard.

Public service announcement: The Discovery Channel is not related to the Discovery "Institute". (Thank "god")

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 15:57:00 UTC | #404854

linbetwin's Avatar Comment 3 by linbetwin

Imagine the bananas God must have created back then to fit into the grasp of Ardi.
/LOL

Here's a video on the ScienceMag channel:

And Ardi even has her own song. I know, it's embarrassing even for her:

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:00:00 UTC | #404856

Chris Roberts's Avatar Comment 4 by Chris Roberts

Is this on in the UK or just USA?

Anyone know?

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:18:00 UTC | #404859

linbetwin's Avatar Comment 5 by linbetwin

Discovery UK - Sunday 18 October at 9pm

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:27:00 UTC | #404860

Chris Roberts's Avatar Comment 6 by Chris Roberts

Comment #423085 by linbetwin on October 11, 2009 at 5:27 pm

Discovery UK - Sunday 18 October at 9pm

Thanks, I just looked it up myself (terribly lazy, when I couldn't find it on my Sky guide I couldn't be bothered to actually use the laptop sat on my errr lap!)

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:36:00 UTC | #404863

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 7 by Rawhard Dickins

Amazing! Just a shame half the world will dismiss it because it doesn't fit their particular flavour of mythology.

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 16:45:00 UTC | #404865

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 8 by TIKI AL

Maybe they could sketch just a "thermopane" hint of Jesus into the face to bring in a bigger audience.

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 17:07:00 UTC | #404868

jcs's Avatar Comment 9 by jcs

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 18:48:00 UTC | #404884

cjnkns's Avatar Comment 10 by cjnkns

I can't wait to see this tonight!

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 19:31:00 UTC | #404899

cynthia_pismobeach's Avatar Comment 11 by cynthia_pismobeach

Thanks jcs for the links, amazing! Can't wait to see more!

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 20:25:00 UTC | #404908

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 12 by Crazycharlie

We're seeing the result of many years of work from these scientists and it's completely fascinating. These fossils were so delicate they had to be saturated with a resin, otherwise, the fossils would have turned to dust. Though fossils are rare, these delicate finds show it's possible to recover many more, if there's a will to look for them.

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 21:04:00 UTC | #404910

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 13 by rod-the-farmer

I find it amusing that the scientists who discovered Ardi, and who analysed what they found, took 17 years to come up with their conclusions, yet the IDiots in only a few days, without apparently examining the material can say with authority that it is not at all what the discovery team claims.

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 21:20:00 UTC | #404913

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 14 by Sally Luxmoore

Comment #423138 by rod-the-farmer

Ah, but 'Goddidit' is so simple...
Scientists are just making life hard for themselves.

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 21:26:00 UTC | #404915

Koreman's Avatar Comment 15 by Koreman

Oh dear, God explains he does not exist and now RD starts arguing.

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 21:30:00 UTC | #404916

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 16 by Sally Luxmoore

Comment #423141 by Koreman

Very funny!
Evidence versus revelation turned on its head. I like it.

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 21:50:00 UTC | #404921

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 17 by Crazycharlie

rod-t.-f.@13...I find it amusing, sad ,scary & ridiculous all at the same time.

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 22:42:00 UTC | #404932

dumbcountryhick's Avatar Comment 18 by dumbcountryhick

I wouldn't get too enthusiastic knowing how the discovery channel is these days. They probably only have about thirty minutes worth of interesting material and the rest will be the life story of the scientists involved. And the narrator will likely pontificate endlessly about how this "totally, completely, absolutely, overturns everything we have ever known about every kind of evolution ever!" (giving creationists more ammo)
I hope not but we'll see.

Sun, 11 Oct 2009 23:21:00 UTC | #404937

dumbcountryhick's Avatar Comment 19 by dumbcountryhick

As I type their is a most peculiar technical difficulty with the discovery channel. The audio is the proper program but the video is a single frame reading "primate helps bridge the evolutionary gap -The Washington Post". (I presume from one of the promos)
Man if this is what I think it is sparks are going to fly!

Mon, 12 Oct 2009 00:09:00 UTC | #404941

foxfire's Avatar Comment 20 by foxfire

I'm watching the program now (US West coast via DirecTV).

Are they channeling RD or what? Ya know how TGSOE starts with an analogy to a crime scene? Well, the analogy on this program is a *cold* case crime scene.

So far, (30 minutes in), this is excellent. Not your typical TV documentary.

Now if we could just do away with the annoying commercial interruptions....

Mon, 12 Oct 2009 00:39:00 UTC | #404947

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 21 by TIKI AL

"Now if we could just do away with the annoying commercial interruptions...." ...foxfire @ 20:

May I suggest a TIVO? I never watch commercials, and only watch what I want when I want.

I wouldn't waste my money on satellite without one.

Mon, 12 Oct 2009 00:56:00 UTC | #404951

dumbcountryhick's Avatar Comment 22 by dumbcountryhick

You guys got it all£ Mine didn't get corrected until the first hour was up. Must be my local cable company. (I know the trouble wasn't at my end because more than one TV in the house displayed that single frame.)
I wouldn't have suspected creationist foul play were it not for the unusual nature of the technical difficulty described in my previous post. But then with so much of previously analog broadcast equipment going digital it might just be a new type of malfunction.

Mon, 12 Oct 2009 02:05:00 UTC | #404965

gbooster's Avatar Comment 23 by gbooster

I watched most of it, flipping between that and the Indianapolis Colts game, and I thought it was pretty good.
They did make the assertion that because "Arty" had completely unique feet (a big toe that made the foot be able to grasp like a hand) and walked upright, it changed the way we think about humans evolving. They made a big deal about how different Arty was from every other hominid species they have ever found.
They also made the assertion that humans did not evolve as upright walking animals in a savannah area, but in a forest area for family/social and sexual selection reasons. As in being able to carry food and stuff. They said they had alot of evidence that the area in Ethiopia was a dense woodland not a savannah. Made sense to me, though I suppose that reason for upright walking, to carry things, could easily have happened in a Savannah just as well.
Anyway, I learned stuff. So it gets a thumbs up from me.

Mon, 12 Oct 2009 04:21:00 UTC | #404973

Quine's Avatar Comment 24 by Quine

<!-- -->Just finished watching it. Very good indeed. It ended with a strong statement against special creation, and in complete support for the ToE. It is great timing that this came out while Richard is doing his book tour. This might also make some students more interested in the Origin of Species part of the book The Banana Man is going to hand out in November. I wish I could have watched his face if he watched this show (not much chance).

Mon, 12 Oct 2009 05:08:00 UTC | #404983

linbetwin's Avatar Comment 25 by linbetwin

Do you think Ardi ever stepped on her own toes or tripped because of them?

Mon, 12 Oct 2009 05:12:00 UTC | #404984

Quine's Avatar Comment 26 by Quine

Yes I do, and it seems that is why Lucy evolved an improved foot for running but at the cost of some climbing ability.

Mon, 12 Oct 2009 05:19:00 UTC | #404988

kraut's Avatar Comment 27 by kraut

"I wouldn't get too enthusiastic knowing how the discovery channel is these days. They probably only have about thirty minutes worth of interesting material and the rest will be the life story of the scientists involved."

Actually - not. This was one of the better shows by the discovery channel, with quite a bit of detail and very good drawings and animations.
Very well explained how the process of science works, and why it took - or should take so long - to make "good science"
Some well placed shots against creationism, and some speculation as to why bipedalism was the most important change for hominid development.

Mon, 12 Oct 2009 06:06:00 UTC | #404993

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 28 by TIKI AL

I understand the part about being more successful in mating by walking upright to carry more food to the female.

I learned this early on by frequenting the best steak house with a date, and staying sober enough to walk upright to her apartment.

Where they lost me is how smaller canines would be attractive to the females. Were they tired of being bitten by overly enthusiastic males?

I had my canines extracted many years ago and have not noticed a big upsurge in mating opportunities.

Mon, 12 Oct 2009 09:43:00 UTC | #405009

bluebird's Avatar Comment 29 by bluebird

"Ready for her Close-up" - Ardi won't be truly famous 'til she's on the cover of Rolling Stone ;p

I'm relieved this Discovery special will be re-broadcast in a few days, I missed it last night :/

Mon, 12 Oct 2009 11:10:00 UTC | #405024

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 30 by TIKI AL

My friend wants to know if they may have started walking upright to be able to use a club. Also, would the club have negated the need for threatening canine teeth?

My point was if they copulated kitty style, they may have held the female's neck with a bite grip like male cats do, and I can see where long sharp canine teeth may have become somewhat unpopular with the girls.

Mon, 12 Oct 2009 16:11:00 UTC | #405086