← There are black-eyed virgins ready for you

There are black-eyed virgins ready for you - Comments

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 1 by Jos Gibbons

To think that, many centuries ago, Egypt was a land known for its unrivalled mathematical and scientific achievements - everything from predicting the timing of solar eclipses and building the pyramids to approximating the square root of pi and inventing a unique way to write fractions no-one else even knew would work. Look at what goes on there now. Give me Osiris over Allah any day, if we must have Egyptians believing in people that no-one can see.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:10:00 UTC | #410778

jamiso's Avatar Comment 2 by jamiso

Man, these people are scary crazy

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:13:00 UTC | #410779

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 3 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Black-eyed? Why are they black-eyed? From being abused?

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:14:00 UTC | #410781

Colwyn Abernathy's Avatar Comment 4 by Colwyn Abernathy

"We congratulate the relatives of whoever died for the sake of Allah...We congratulate these (martyrs) themselves...There are black-eyed virgins ready for you."

Of course, any sensible person would first be asking, "Well, why aren't YOU taking Allah up on this glorious offer?" And then these asshats would offer up some lame excuse, "The glory is not for me, but for you, brother!"

Insanity, plain and simple. Not to mention outright lies and deception. Angel kisses? Do me a lemon.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:16:00 UTC | #410783

theillestatheist's Avatar Comment 5 by theillestatheist

Looked like he was going to come in his pants.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:20:00 UTC | #410784

Mr DArcy's Avatar Comment 6 by Mr DArcy

I notice the beardy one who wants to raise his sons for martyrdom hasn't actually gone out to destroy a few infidels and himself. He's definitely an armchair martyr, relishing in other people's blood. Sick, sick, sick.

How do you "reach out" to people like that?

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:21:00 UTC | #410785

canadaguy's Avatar Comment 7 by canadaguy

Maybe I'm missing the main point, but every time I hear people using the word "martyr" I think they are misusing it. A true martyr in the classic sense doesn't act for a reward or for recognition after death. A martyr is someone who dies for a cause because they believe in it and it's the right thing to do. It is only later that history judges someone to be a martyr. By definition, if you act for the sake of martydom, you can't be a martyr.

I seem to remember this being a theme in "A Man for All Seasons".

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:31:00 UTC | #410788

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 9 by NewEnglandBob

This is a mentally defective person. I could not listen to more than 3 minutes of this filth. I need some Mozart at high volume to wipe this away.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:37:00 UTC | #410792

lee_mcintosh's Avatar Comment 8 by lee_mcintosh

Whats really disappointing is that young testosterone filled drones will soak all this up and go forth. pathetic. Do female "Martyrs" get 72 male virgins? bit of hard sell if so.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:37:00 UTC | #410791

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 10 by rod-the-farmer

I did not see that he offered his daughters as some of the virgins. Perhaps I missed that part.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:39:00 UTC | #410793

erindorothy's Avatar Comment 11 by erindorothy

Absolutely insane, scary, misogynist, disgusting ranting.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:44:00 UTC | #410795

ravish's Avatar Comment 12 by ravish

What do you expect? They get bribed by US for not hurting them sooner or later. Increase your defenses and stop appeasing religious beliefs, this will last for centuries to come.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:45:00 UTC | #410796

Isaksson's Avatar Comment 13 by Isaksson

Virgins?

I would not want a girl that do not know what to do when we are about to.. Not to mention 72 of them!

Well, never mind me then.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:46:00 UTC | #410797

LaurieB's Avatar Comment 14 by LaurieB

InYourFaceNewYorker,

The black or dark eyed virgins refers to the very old standard of beauty that Arab women were judged by. The iris of the eye should be blackest black and the white of the eye should be whitest white.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:47:00 UTC | #410798

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 15 by Bonzai

I think the black eyes can be a sign of heroine addiction.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 22:50:00 UTC | #410799

dumbcountryhick's Avatar Comment 16 by dumbcountryhick

"Heaven is there where Hell is... and Hell is down on earth."

Accept: "Heaven is Hell"

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 23:00:00 UTC | #410801

erasmus31's Avatar Comment 17 by erasmus31

This is so sick, it's hard to fathom.
But isn't it strange that the all powerful god(s) have to bribe people to love them? So if it wasn't for the black eyed (no less) virgins or some other rewards, they'd tell their god(s) to stuff it?

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 23:11:00 UTC | #410803

LaurieB's Avatar Comment 18 by LaurieB

Isaksson,

The Koran does not present the 72 virgins as being "interactive" if that's the right word. They are passive vessels of the sexual satisfaction of men. In Koranic description they seem less than human and zombie-like to my reading. The object, for the men is to just fuck the hell out of the dark eyed virgins one after another and hopefully there's lots of blood.

Traditional Arab marriages reflect this. The bride and groom often meet each other when they are brought together in their bedroom during the wedding party which continues right outside their door. He must consummate the marriage and there must be blood on the sheet which will be paraded around through the wedding party shortly after he finishes. If he can't consummate the marriage (stress) or if there's no blood then a pall is cast over the wedding. Bad consequences follow. I've been to such a wedding where the groom for whatever reason didn't do the deed. It was the most disturbing wedding I've ever been to. I couldn't get out of there fast enough!

The point I'm trying to make here is that I understand that most western men can't figure out why in the world these guys are looking forward to 72 ignorant virgins but heaven to them is an exaggeration of the sexual selfishness that they maintain here on earth.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 23:13:00 UTC | #410804

gurkuda's Avatar Comment 19 by gurkuda

Why 6 dozens? And they all tell you how handsome you are. Do you go to Vegas when you die?

I was expecting a disclaimer to pop up any minute saying:
'This is a work of pure fiction. Any resemblance to anyone, living or dead is purely coincidental. The characters are fictional and of my own creation. I apologise for the inconvenience this might have caused.'

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 23:14:00 UTC | #410805

sbooder's Avatar Comment 21 by sbooder

Oh boy, there is such a long way to go.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 23:20:00 UTC | #410807

bigkoala's Avatar Comment 20 by bigkoala

They are "black eyed" because the word "virgin" has been mistranslated. It is actually supposed to be "peas." There are black-eyed PEAS waiting for the martyrs, which makes everything understandable.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 23:20:00 UTC | #410806

probable_error's Avatar Comment 22 by probable_error

The bad thing is,in Islamic countries similar things (except the virgin stuff) is being said everyday by parents to their children.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 23:32:00 UTC | #410809

critica's Avatar Comment 23 by critica

Here is child abuse in its worst form - raise them to kill them in irrational sacrifice to a petty, life-hating deity. This is barbarism on the grandest scale.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 23:36:00 UTC | #410810

keddaw's Avatar Comment 24 by keddaw

Not a death-cult at all then.

Shame it wasn't simply a suicide cult, as tragic as that would be, but they insist on taking as many of us with them when they go.

Mon, 02 Nov 2009 23:46:00 UTC | #410811

wildhog's Avatar Comment 25 by wildhog

This is a great example of why I dont consider myself a humanist. If there are no gods, then this nonsense comes not from a god, but from humans. How can people stare this in the face, then announce themselves to be a big fan of humanity?

-secular nonhumanist

Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:00:00 UTC | #410813

Janus's Avatar Comment 26 by Janus

wildhog,

be a transhumanist then. We acknowledge that humanity sucks, that's why we want to fix it. :D

Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:21:00 UTC | #410816

Net's Avatar Comment 27 by Net

Actually, it's just occurred to me that Irshad Manji, Sam Harris, and others point out that somehow through mis-translation that the word from the Koran which we know today as "virgin" actually meant "white raisin" in the original. For me, this just adds to the absurdity. When and where will it end?

Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:22:00 UTC | #410818

Chrysippus_Maximus's Avatar Comment 28 by Chrysippus_Maximus

Oh for crying out glayvin.

Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:23:00 UTC | #410819

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 29 by helen sotiriadis

sometimes i just can't bear seeing so much insanity in this world... it's just too much.

Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:26:00 UTC | #410820

redeyejedi's Avatar Comment 30 by redeyejedi

As I was watching that, I couldn't help but be reminded of the rubbish that Mikey Ruse wrote today. (I'm paraphrasing here) "How dare the 'New Atheists' make the rest of us apologetic, wishy-washy pseudo philosophers look intolerant to our dear, deluded friends of the cloth. Because Hitch / Coyne / PZ / RD have the audacity to call a spade a spade, I may not get invited to the next dinner party @ Rev. Tuchinbois house tomorrow night! And everyone knows how much I like Tuchinbois...."

It is important that we continue to make a mockery of arbitrary faith, because silent appeasement of the mild lunacy that is moderate religious belief, is silent appeasement of the complete lunacy that is being showcased in that video clip.

(or something like that...I swear that made sense in my head)

Tue, 03 Nov 2009 00:44:00 UTC | #410821