← Happy Saganseve, Everybody

Happy Saganseve, Everybody - Comments

evotruth's Avatar Comment 1 by evotruth

What a beautiful man he is! Great to hear him laugh too.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 16:32:00 UTC | #411694

Mr Blue Sky's Avatar Comment 2 by Mr Blue Sky

And that interview was in 1996 - have we progressed?

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 16:50:00 UTC | #411696

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 3 by SaintStephen

I haven't even watched the video yet, but the first comment below the clip on the boingboing page was a beautiful thing:

My 12 year old is a budding Carl Sagan fan who is having no end of fun learning that he can use logic and evidence in replying to 1) a friend who is an enthusiastic Bigfoot believer and 2) a classmate who insists that President Obama was born in Kenya. And this weekend, we're off to see They Might Be Giants' "Here Comes Science" concert. This parenthood thing has some really fun moments.
Ahhh... made my morning. Now, TO THE VIDEO!!!

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 16:53:00 UTC | #411697

drewimus's Avatar Comment 4 by drewimus

Blue Sky,

Exactly. His points sound parallel to all our modern-day heroes. Put it in Blu-Ray format and it'll be shelf-ready.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 16:55:00 UTC | #411698

Consciousmess's Avatar Comment 5 by Consciousmess

I've read 3 great books by Carl Sagan and I feel sad that he died so young; it is the great scientists like him who contribute to "us" challenging irrational thought.

I use many of Sagan's arguments in my lessons to explain to students the concept of falsifiability.

I also obsessively support Sagan's endeavours, and of course the Dawkins foundation.

Jon

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 17:05:00 UTC | #411700

D_mendes's Avatar Comment 7 by D_mendes

i will have to remember to watch this video when i get home from work, it's blocked here, damn proxies.

but Carl is and will always be a great man

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 17:10:00 UTC | #411702

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 6 by SaintStephen

Carl Sagan in 1996:

"If we are not able to ask skeptical questions, to interrogate those who tell us something is true -- to be skeptical of those in authority, then we are up for grabs for the next charlatan, political or religious, that comes ambling along."

Prophetic words.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 17:10:00 UTC | #411701

nosuperstitionhere's Avatar Comment 8 by nosuperstitionhere

Our lack of skepticism has cost us dearly. I hope that we wake up; we can't let those who know nothing decide the fate for the rest of us.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 17:13:00 UTC | #411703

andersemil's Avatar Comment 9 by andersemil

I'm not from the States, so I don't watch the show regularly, but the interviews I've seen online by Charlie Rose have been well conducted. He makes his guests feel comfortable enough to get into deep discussion but still asks a few provocative questions.

I really can't express how much I agree with every word Sagan says. He was a great man and I wish I had known about him when he lived.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 17:38:00 UTC | #411708

Apathy personified's Avatar Comment 10 by Apathy personified

"I wouldn't say scorn... just derision" - That's classic.

Carl Sagan = Legend.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 17:45:00 UTC | #411710

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 11 by SaintStephen

Brothers separated at birth?

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 17:49:00 UTC | #411712

djohn37050's Avatar Comment 12 by djohn37050

I am a Christian and I believe what Sagan said.

It is true that the science in the Bible was what was believed at that time.

Don

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 17:55:00 UTC | #411713

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 13 by SaintStephen

12. Comment #430030 by djohn37050 on November 6, 2009 at 5:55 pm

I am a Christian and I believe what Sagan said.
First post for you -- welcome. Care to elaborate on your Christian beliefs?

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 18:00:00 UTC | #411714

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 14 by Sally Luxmoore

Nice interview. It's such a shame Carl Sagan is dead. I loved the Demon Haunted World and will read it again someday. I am now working my way slowly through all the DVDs in Cosmos.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 18:13:00 UTC | #411718

djohn37050's Avatar Comment 15 by djohn37050

As a Christian, I accept Jesus/Yeshua of Nazareth as my savior. I need a savior as I am a sinner, that is I do not have it all together and need help.

The Bible was inspired by God, but that does not mean the science in it describes things beyond what was believed at the time each book was written.

For example, I accept the evidence that the universe is billions of years old and the evidence for evolution by natural selection. I do not claim to know all the answers or even to know for sure that the answers I accept are guaranteed true.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 18:58:00 UTC | #411727

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 16 by Sally Luxmoore

Comment #430044 by djohn37050

I need a savior as I am a sinner

Whose sin? Yours or Adam's? (You do know that Adam never existed, don't you?)

How can a saviour 'save' you? Do you really accept the horrible and positively immoral doctrine of atonement?

Sorry, but you surely didn't think you could say something like that on this site without being challenged!

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 19:07:00 UTC | #411729

Alovrin's Avatar Comment 17 by Alovrin

Not having IT together does not a sinner make.
If its help you need maybe you should narrow it down to the kind of help.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 19:11:00 UTC | #411730

djohn37050's Avatar Comment 18 by djohn37050

My sin is my selfishness, my arrogance, my greediness, my lust, my idolatry, etc. I need help to save me from myself.

Jesus offered to save me by offering himself in my place. I accepted and continue to accept his gift and the Holy Spirit then enlivens my spirit. I agree this sounds hokey to a non-believer; which is what I was before I accepted Jesus.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 19:22:00 UTC | #411734

sbooder's Avatar Comment 19 by sbooder

I have a couple of Sagan's DVDs, But it takes me 3 or 4 days to watch them, because like David Attenborough's voice, it puts me to sleep. I then have to watch them again.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 19:37:00 UTC | #411738

Sarmatae1's Avatar Comment 20 by Sarmatae1

In celebration of "Saganseve" HERE is Carl singing with Feynmann, deGrasse Tyson and Bill Nye.

A warning about this next video, the song is one that gets stuck in your head. It did mine anyway.

Same guy who made that video made THIS ONE of Sagan singing with Hawking too.

18. Comment #430051 by djohn37050

Luckily I never had those problems myself, I hope that doing that helps you. I don't see the benefits of vicarious redemption, seems somewhat immoral to me. Scapegoating never really solved anything for me I have found, but to each their own, if that's what works for you go for it.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 19:41:00 UTC | #411739

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 21 by Stafford Gordon

I'm going to enjoy this; again.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 20:13:00 UTC | #411741

markg's Avatar Comment 22 by markg

comments by djohn37050:

I am a sinner, that is I do not have it all together and need help.

I forgive you, that is unless you've killed someone or committed some other criminal act. If so, you may be answering to someone else. If not, then stop worrying and enjoy your life.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 20:26:00 UTC | #411743

Lapithes's Avatar Comment 23 by Lapithes

Beautiful, my copy of cosmos arrived just today.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 20:28:00 UTC | #411744

zbob's Avatar Comment 24 by zbob

20. Comment #430056 by Sarmatae1 on November 6, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Those two videos are GREAT!

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 20:36:00 UTC | #411746

meisteh's Avatar Comment 25 by meisteh

20. Comment #430056 by Sarmatae1 on November 6, 2009 at 7:41 pm

Agreed, thanks Sarmatae1! Amazing.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 20:45:00 UTC | #411748

Big T's Avatar Comment 26 by Big T

Re: Comment #430018 by Saint Stephen (the one with George Bush in it, and 'Stupidity' under his picture) - right on! You said a mouthful, sir! Sagan even wrote, in 'The Demon Haunted World' that the next charlatan to come along might have a war he wants to sell us on. What an accurate prediction.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 20:55:00 UTC | #411750

serotonin_wraith's Avatar Comment 27 by serotonin_wraith

djohn37050,

1) Do you believe we are born with original sin, and deserve punishment even if we haven't personally done anything wrong?

2) Why did God wait billions of years before getting round to creating his favourite species?

3) Why is there suffering in the world? It can't be blamed on the fall of humans if we only just came on the scene.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 21:05:00 UTC | #411752

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 28 by SaintStephen

23. Comment #430061 by uuaschbaer on November 6, 2009 at 8:28 pm blockquote>Beautiful, my copy of cosmos arrived just today.
Proof positive that Carl Sagan is God. I mean COME ON... what are the odds?

If a Bible arrived at a theist's home on December 25th, say, there would be much rejoicing and prayer for God's little miracle. Even if they ordered it from Amazon two weeks prior.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 21:07:00 UTC | #411754

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 29 by SaintStephen

18. Comment #430051 by djohn37050 on November 6, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Where does Jesus fit into your concept of evolution? Did Jesus evolve, or better yet, did YOU evolve? Take your time... think about your answer.

Swotty Postlethwaite, our club’s tame intellectual, is not here to help you, but a while back our resident wag Professor Richard Woofter had some advice that may be applicable :

"There's no bally God, so put a sock in it and have a gargle with the lads."

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 21:20:00 UTC | #411755

djohn37050's Avatar Comment 30 by djohn37050

1. I do not know about original sin, I have a propensity to sin.

2. Why do people spend time to plan a wedding? In the case of humans, it takes a long time to create the material, etc. for life, then brains, then humans.

3. There is a promised time of no more suffering, but today we have it. Pain can teach us things, which is one reason I am glad I can feel things, so I can avoid things that might harm me.

Fri, 06 Nov 2009 21:39:00 UTC | #411764