← Mr. Deity and the Woman

Mr. Deity and the Woman - Comments

chalkers's Avatar Comment 1 by chalkers

Exmormons are the coolest!

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:13:00 UTC | #416064

bouwe's Avatar Comment 2 by bouwe

First day and she's got her period...I thought that happened after The Fall?

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:20:00 UTC | #416066

Ygern's Avatar Comment 3 by Ygern

Much as I love the idea of Mr Deity & Larry being cowed and browbeaten by his latest creation and a pretty amusing one too, I have never in my life met a woman who behaves like that.

I really enjoy the Mr Deity episodes, but this one, well, I wasn't sure exactly whether the rather simplistic caricature of a rather vacuous and irrational woman was meant to be funny.

They could have achieved a hapless and helpless Mr Deity horrified at his new female creation by some other route.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:22:00 UTC | #416068

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 4 by Rawhard Dickins

Brill!

Now I know it wasn't just my last 9 girlfriends!

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 12:25:00 UTC | #416069

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 5 by Peacebeuponme

There's me thinking Mr Deity was pretty ordinary comedy from an anti-religion perspective, when it seems to be very ordinary, and derivative, observational bollocks.

It must be about 5 minutes since a comedian, somewhere, did the "woman are hard to work out" routine.

Perhaps in the next episode of Mr Deity, Adam will go into s Starbucks and attempt to order a standard coffee, with hilarious results.

No, even better, he could meet a black guy who was way cooler and more streetwise than him.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:04:00 UTC | #416076

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 6 by helen sotiriadis

i like most mr. deity videos and i appreciate the work the team does, but this caricature of women is ridiculous.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 13:56:00 UTC | #416081

jackal's Avatar Comment 7 by jackal

If they had made a bit that relied completely on an overblown of caricature of a black person, would it have been ok?

---

I can't say I'm excited about the prospect of a half hour show. A concept that works well at 5 min clips doesn't typically sustain a 25min (commercials) show.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:03:00 UTC | #416083

SkeptiKell's Avatar Comment 8 by SkeptiKell

... the caricature is of the male-female relationship . . . if you want vacuous take a closer look at Mr. Deity

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:21:00 UTC | #416088

Skeptic Jim's Avatar Comment 9 by Skeptic Jim

--------------------------------------

That's a false analogy. Not all black people are the same.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:34:00 UTC | #416091

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 10 by helen sotiriadis

@jackal

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:36:00 UTC | #416092

Skeptic Jim's Avatar Comment 11 by Skeptic Jim

Ygern, I take it you've never visited Dundrum or Dun Laoghaire ;-)

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:45:00 UTC | #416095

jackal's Avatar Comment 12 by jackal

@Skeptic Jim

And all women are the same?

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 14:51:00 UTC | #416098

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 13 by Sally Luxmoore

So Eve is a New York 'ball breaker' style of woman?
Never met any woman like that in my life (and wouldn't want to).
Enjoyed the discomfort of Larry and Mr D, but not keen on Eve... So not so funny this time.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:09:00 UTC | #416107

Absinthius's Avatar Comment 14 by Absinthius

Come on people... the show has a history of RIDICULING false preconceptions. Isn't the simple fact that they portray the woman as caricature annoying, whining, manipulative person a commendable thing - i.e. it shows it is a false preconception.

Next to that, it is funny!

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:10:00 UTC | #416108

jackal's Avatar Comment 15 by jackal

@Absinthius

Next week, Mr. Deity can create "The Black Man." He'll be a big ol' gangstah with saggin' pants, bling, and a glock 9, and he'll try to sell Mr. Deity and Larry crack. Comedy gold.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:24:00 UTC | #416110

King of NH's Avatar Comment 16 by King of NH

Now hold on. How many complaints were there when they made the video of Adam accepting the ridiculous terms of eternal damnation and suffering because he saw a photo of Eve?

It's okay to make caricatures of men being dumb and doing anything for sex with a hot chick, but not caricatures of women being emotional and wholly incomprehensible to men? My Spidey Sense detects a double standard.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:27:00 UTC | #416111

JackR's Avatar Comment 17 by JackR

Gotta go with toomanytribbles here... if they were trying to satirise that stereotype of women they didn't do a very good job of it because it looked pretty much exactly how it would have if they'd been serious. With good satire the tongue has to be a bit more visible in the cheek than it was here.

I think this one's a bit of a clunker in a generally excellent series.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:29:00 UTC | #416114

jackal's Avatar Comment 18 by jackal

King of NH,

1-> False equivalence. Most of the Man episode was not about Adam being a stereotype. It was just a quick jab at the end.

2-> It's more acceptable to lampoon the ones on top. Men have a privileged status in this country and most others. Women, OTOH, are systematically discriminated against, not by law but by custom, in this country and most. Women are treated as slaves in many Islamic countries - countries with which the US and the UK still keep friendly diplomatic status. There is the difference.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:33:00 UTC | #416115

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 19 by SaintStephen

Just more proof that women aren't funny.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:40:00 UTC | #416116

Absinthius's Avatar Comment 20 by Absinthius

Dear lord, how to make a mountain out of a molehill... Sometimes the overly zealous drive to criticize on this site is just flat-out annoying.

I'm sure the Mr. Deity team willingly tried to discriminate women, bigoted fools eh?! Them rascals them!

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:47:00 UTC | #416117

Peacebeuponme's Avatar Comment 21 by Peacebeuponme

jackal

It's more acceptable to lampoon the ones on top.
Though the general agreement amongst advertisers that men must be depicted as useless oafs constantly amusing or mildy annoying their smart and practical female partners is pretty annoying.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:48:00 UTC | #416121

Ygern's Avatar Comment 22 by Ygern

Absinthius, you're missing the point utterly.

I am sure that nothing was further from the Mr Deity writer's mind. They are clearly not bigots nor ignorant, and no-one here has even suggested that they are.

But take a look at the comments it has spawned, comments from men who are likewise not bigots or misogynists but nevertheless are now guffawing and sniggering like boys in a locker-room.

Whatever the Deity team was aiming for they have automatically made everyone think of the worst sort of stereotyping of male/female relationships. In light of the fact that the show is religious satire I doubt that this is what they intended. But it is what they achieved.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 15:55:00 UTC | #416122

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 23 by hungarianelephant

What's all the nonsense about clothes? Eve was supposed to be naked.

You might almost think that this was trying to make trite observations about female stereotypes rather than political comment on religion. But it couldn't be that, could it?

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:00:00 UTC | #416124

Hal0_V's Avatar Comment 24 by Hal0_V

Yes, some of you have clever arguments that try to rationalize their choice in humor. Sadly, those arguments do not take away feeling like I have found a place (online) where I can be understood on some level, only to be shown that it is generally o.k. to make fun of me in the standard stereotypical way. No one should be ridiculed due to circumstances of birth, even if the people not being made fun of find it funny.
But hey, that's just my opinion- and my feeling ridiculed.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:02:00 UTC | #416125

jackal's Avatar Comment 25 by jackal

Peacebeuponme -> "the general agreement amongst advertisers that men must be depicted as useless oafs constantly amusing or mildy annoying their smart and practical female partners is pretty annoying."

Agreed.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:22:00 UTC | #416131

justinesaracen's Avatar Comment 26 by justinesaracen

Mr. Deity is usually pretty funny. But this one, not so much. The humor is at the level of Henny Youngman's "Take my wife....please" or 'women drivers' jokes.
Meh.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:39:00 UTC | #416135

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 27 by Steve Zara

I just didn't get this as being about female stereotypes. I saw it appropriately about male stereotypes. It is supposed to be one of the great moments in creation - the first woman, being introduced to the world, and they treat her like a piece of equipment, a pet, like nothing much at all.

Maybe this is because I think I would react like Eve.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:42:00 UTC | #416137

sbooder's Avatar Comment 28 by sbooder

I can not believe the majority of the people here have missed the point.

It is God being portrayed here and not the actor. If you look at the majority of religions, you will notice that women are treated like shit and stereotyped. I think this episode was spot on; this is exactly what you would expect from a deity

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 16:59:00 UTC | #416141

Skeptic Jim's Avatar Comment 30 by Skeptic Jim

But hey, that's just my opinion- and my feeling ridiculed.

-------------------------

Ah... cheer up toots ;-)

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:13:00 UTC | #416147

jackal's Avatar Comment 29 by jackal

@ sbooder-> It wasn't Mr. Deity and Larry portraying Eve as a 1-D caricature, it was the writers. If this was meant to be metastereotyping, showing Eve through the eyes of a White Male God, I think they need to work on the presentation.

Tue, 24 Nov 2009 17:13:00 UTC | #416145