← Aggressive atheism

Aggressive atheism - Comments

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 1 by Mitch Kahle

Gotta love Pat! The man tells it like it is...

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 18:58:00 UTC | #417679

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 2 by mjwemdee

It's all true, of course, but this is the first Pat Condell video I've listened to which made me begin to wonder if his fervour isn't beginning to obscure his famous good humour - to the detriment of the message...

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:03:00 UTC | #417682

Sandra S's Avatar Comment 3 by Sandra S

OH MI GOSH! Freedom of speech sacred?! It has finally been admitted! Atheism is just another religion and the new atheists are funadmentalists!

Anyway, it's been said before, but Pat Condell puts it extra nicely as we've come to expect. I had no idea I was so intolerant.

The part about Jerusalem could almost have been written by a foulmouthed and strident Shakespeare.

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:08:00 UTC | #417684

Rodger T's Avatar Comment 4 by Rodger T

Oh Pat, oh so strident.

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:11:00 UTC | #417686

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 5 by the great teapot

Pat seems to have restored his sense of humour/ sarcasm here. Back to his best.Much better Pat. Keep it up.

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:15:00 UTC | #417688

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 6 by Mitch Kahle

I think atheists have a right to be aggressive and strident.

Although I don't believe emotion is helpful in argument, we certainly have good reasons to be angry at religion and there's no need to apologize for it.

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:21:00 UTC | #417691

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 7 by the great teapot

Send the Gays to the back of the bus.
Hey it was religous people who campaigned against that.
You atheists stealing from us christians again.
Thou shalt never suffer a black man or gay to be a second class citizen. Mathew 10.15
Check it out folks it's in the bible.

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:27:00 UTC | #417694

DoctorMelkor's Avatar Comment 8 by DoctorMelkor

TESTIFY, BROTHER PAT!

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:34:00 UTC | #417697

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 9 by SaintStephen

Ah, the sweet, lilting delivery of Pat Condell in full stride(ncy).

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:44:00 UTC | #417699

Sylvia Hatred's Avatar Comment 10 by Sylvia Hatred

Go Pat Go!

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 19:44:00 UTC | #417700

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 11 by Rawhard Dickins

So let me get this right Pat, do you not really approve of religion?

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 20:00:00 UTC | #417705

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 12 by Crazycharlie

Testify Pat!

I say we clone Pat. We need more of him around!

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 20:01:00 UTC | #417707

larson80's Avatar Comment 13 by larson80

Religious people always feel like they themselves are being attacked when someone is criticizing religion. I think it's weird that the human mind is capable of dealing with the same thing (in this case, ultimately, the structure of reality) with such rationalization and with so much personally invested in it. And not realising that one so affects the other. Not that rationalizing is rational, but that's the rational part of the religious outrage.

Oh yeah, and Pat is so cool. ;)

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 20:19:00 UTC | #417713

UncleJJ's Avatar Comment 14 by UncleJJ

A lively Bible thumping sermon from Pat ;)

I liked this snippet among so many great phrases

"Religion's claims to higher knowledge are laughable ... it doesn't even have any lower knowledge"

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 20:57:00 UTC | #417725

fossil-fish's Avatar Comment 15 by fossil-fish

Yes, come on Pat. Stop beating about the bush and just say what you mean.

Brilliant, again.

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 20:59:00 UTC | #417727

The-Norwegian-Guy's Avatar Comment 16 by The-Norwegian-Guy

Religion doesn't offer evidence Mr. Condell?

I think this toast begs to differ... :

"The only true thing about religion is that it's false."

Pat is awesome. :D

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 21:00:00 UTC | #417728

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 17 by Sally Luxmoore

It may be bizarre, but when angry and depressed by all the religious crap, I feel refreshed and exhilarated by hearing Pat - especially this particular rant.
Hail Pat!

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 21:24:00 UTC | #417734

blakjack's Avatar Comment 18 by blakjack

I was again cheated out of my fun today – the opportunity to be an aggressive atheist.

Jehovah’s Witnesses or some such group were touring the village. Again they missed me out. I have in the past given them a hard time when they tried to sell their wares so I guess they have realised that they have more than met their match so unfortunately don’t call nowadays. I really miss the entertainment.

Jack

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 21:30:00 UTC | #417735

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 19 by Steve Zara

I normally can't stand Pat Condell, and have said so often. But this was different. It was passionate, accurate, and quite moving in places. This wasn't a rant - it was an inspiring speech.

If he carries on like this, I am prepared to have my mind changed about him.

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 21:31:00 UTC | #417736

BlueCollar8theist's Avatar Comment 20 by BlueCollar8theist

What a wonderful way to inspire my afternoon! I had thought my hangover was going to get the best of me until I watched this video. I feel much better now!

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 21:44:00 UTC | #417738

Logicel's Avatar Comment 21 by Logicel

Steve Z, Yes, Condell, hit all the right notes. However, I always have thought he hit enough right notes to be considered a serious voice in the fight against irrationality.

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 21:45:00 UTC | #417739

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 22 by Steve Zara

Comment #436170 by Logicel

I thought this was different. Excellent imagery, and more dealing with issues against shouting at religious people. But, perhaps I have changed.

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 21:55:00 UTC | #417742

j.mills's Avatar Comment 23 by j.mills

Curious the different reactions we folks have to Pat. For my part, Pat was spot on in this one, but humourless, less than usually fluent, and it was largely abstract rhetoric. I reckon he's more fun when he's dealing with something topical and concrete - he could usefully take a pop at the catholics right now...

I too had Jehovah's at the door today. I just told 'em to forget it and shut the door; can't be arsed. Kinda disturbing though: a bloke of about 40, his middle-aged friend and his infant son in a pram. What sorta childhood's that?

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 21:57:00 UTC | #417743

zengardener's Avatar Comment 24 by zengardener

the great teapot

Check it out folks it's in the bible.

couldn't find it. A little help?

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 22:06:00 UTC | #417748

Beachbum's Avatar Comment 25 by Beachbum

I feel "Neo" in the Matrix, you know, right after he goes clean through that "agent" and scares away the others.

HEEEE... Whooooo!

All of a sudden, I want to go out and body slam a political party.

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 22:50:00 UTC | #417760

bethe123's Avatar Comment 26 by bethe123

Well said, Pat.
I look forward to the next installment!

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 22:56:00 UTC | #417762

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 27 by NewEnglandBob

Just beautiful, Pat. I will listen to this several more times. I will also look for a transcript.

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 23:39:00 UTC | #417772

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 28 by Carl Sai Baba

"I would remind you that extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice! And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice is no virtue!"

My problem with religion was never that it wasn't soft-headed, and in fact all of us have criticized the stupidity of religious moderation. The problem with religion is that it is WRONG.

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 23:42:00 UTC | #417773

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 29 by Bonzai

Wow, this is amazing!

Sat, 28 Nov 2009 23:51:00 UTC | #417775

russkid's Avatar Comment 30 by russkid

The problem with religion is that it is WRONG.

Can you be more specific ... do you mean wrong as in a false claim or wrong as in an immoral action?

Sun, 29 Nov 2009 00:08:00 UTC | #417776