← Richard Dawkins Foundation - 2009 Fundraiser

Richard Dawkins Foundation - 2009 Fundraiser - Comments

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 1 by SaintStephen

Ha! Numero uno.

Great little video, Josh. Awesome job, dude. You are becoming quite the cinematographer, and the guy you're filming ain't bad either.

Who can resist donating when you're being asked so damn nicely?

Methinks we need to see and hear more from this Brian Greene fellow, a man I haven't really been introduced to yet.

That is all. Time for bed.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 10:29:00 UTC | #418802

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 2 by InYourFaceNewYorker

I'm unemployed, but I donated $5... I want to help in any way I can, even if it is a drop in a bucket! Keep fighting the good fight, Richard!

Julie

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 10:57:00 UTC | #418811

alessamendes's Avatar Comment 3 by alessamendes

This is awesome, Richard. You have my full support! I'll definitely pass the word along.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 11:02:00 UTC | #418814

bendigeidfran's Avatar Comment 4 by bendigeidfran

'Old, young, in-between, highly educated, less educated, affluent, less affluent, male, female, straight, gay, serious, fun-loving, angry, mild-mannered, confident, timid, open about their atheism, unable to be open about their atheism, previously religious, never religious'

I can do most of these with the right drink.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 11:27:00 UTC | #418820

RPizzle's Avatar Comment 5 by RPizzle

This seems like a fantastic idea. The video was awesome, and has me excited about the near future.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 11:39:00 UTC | #418824

A's Avatar Comment 6 by A

They missed out 'strident' and 'going to hell'.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 11:54:00 UTC | #418827

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 7 by God fearing Atheist

How will RDFRS get the UK tax refund from UK donations? (RDFRS is a UK registered charity isn't it?)

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 12:36:00 UTC | #418835

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 8 by RichardofYork

Missed sneeringly sarcastic too :P

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 12:55:00 UTC | #418842

exorcist's Avatar Comment 9 by exorcist

Donated 50 bucks.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 12:57:00 UTC | #418843

nhnl's Avatar Comment 10 by nhnl

being in melbourne, australia. knew i wouldn't get any gifts. so donated $100 and then ordered the complete DVD set from the shop

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 13:14:00 UTC | #418847

Mark Jones's Avatar Comment 11 by Mark Jones

Great little video, happy to support this great effort.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 13:22:00 UTC | #418849

AMreasonedthinker's Avatar Comment 12 by AMreasonedthinker

Great video and greater cause, please give generously... there are too few worthy causes with such potential to make an huge difference to the world!

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 13:26:00 UTC | #418850

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 13 by Jos Gibbons

If the bus campaign could raise £150,000 in no time at all, surely we'll get $100,000 for this in a month? In fact, I'm hoping we'll do a lot better than is our aim. Can all those aims RD lists really be achieved with 100k? If so, this seems like a really cost effective way of changing the word through charity, so I echo the sentiment of #437297.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 13:58:00 UTC | #418852

Ohnhai's Avatar Comment 14 by Ohnhai

@God Fearing Atheist:

If I remember correctly the RDFRS is actually twin charities. one in the UK and one in the US to make the whole thing as efficient and as compliant with the variances of charity law in those two countries.

More to the point would be clarification of how non US residents can claim tax back when donated to a US charity...

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:04:00 UTC | #418854

Redron's Avatar Comment 15 by Redron

Great video, great cause.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:06:00 UTC | #418856

Ohnhai's Avatar Comment 16 by Ohnhai

BTW... is there a list of donors somewhere?

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:07:00 UTC | #418857

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 17 by Nunbeliever

I would love to donate! But, I do not have a credit card for the moment :-(

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:28:00 UTC | #418863

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 18 by Stafford Gordon

I will donate but after xmas and the new year.

Happy holidays everyone.

Oh, wait a minute! Does anyone know if there's a time limit for contributions to this fund please?

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:34:00 UTC | #418866

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 19 by InYourFaceNewYorker

It's until 12/31/09.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:43:00 UTC | #418871

Dark Matter's Avatar Comment 20 by Dark Matter

I will certainly donate whatever I can to this very worthy cause and this is why we need it:

Can some of the money donated go towards actually explaining the Anthropic Principle in schools? Maybe then we can be spared the cognitive dissonance and vacuous self-deception that is systematically printed by the Guardian.

This is why I completely concur with Richard when he observes:

"Other opposition to science comes from a needling hostility to the very idea that there exists an objective reality, a reality about which we can obtain testable evidence. There are those who carry this politically motivated hostility to the lengths of valuing personal opinion, subjective feeling or just plain prejudice, over publicly testable evidence."

I have lost count of the amount of times I have heard our opponents argue that "we believe in Blind chance" or that "our outlook merely makes life random and meaningless" without really understanding why this is, in itself, supposed to be a "bad" thing.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:48:00 UTC | #418873

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 21 by Stafford Gordon

InYourFaceNewYorker;

Ta, as we English say.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:51:00 UTC | #418875

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 22 by aquilacane

I've never claimed a donation on tax. Goes against my concept of charity.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 14:53:00 UTC | #418877

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 23 by Jos Gibbons

Comment #437320 by Dark Matter

Thanks for the link. I am very glad to see that the comments are almost universally critical of him.

While we're at it, we should probably update the normal statement of the problem said principle seeks to solve - namely, why are the constants suitable in a way such that, if one is slightly altered, they lose that suitability - by pointing out that what little research has been done into what happens when you change several variables by random numbers of degrees of magnitude (i.e. modify things a lot rather than a little) is that a very large proportion of universes turn out fine. That for me kind of kills the point of the argument anyway!

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 15:06:00 UTC | #418881

Nighttripper's Avatar Comment 24 by Nighttripper

Oh great stuff! I have to go set up a paypal account first but i'm definitely donating here.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 15:58:00 UTC | #418906

bluebird's Avatar Comment 25 by bluebird

Dear RDFRS,
You will find a token of appreciation in your stocking :)

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 16:14:00 UTC | #418917

Big Gus's Avatar Comment 26 by Big Gus

I'm in, donation made!

Nice that you can also watch the total rising in real time once you've donated as well.

There was only $998 in the fund when I donated earlier the total now stands at $3,043, none too shabby in a few hours.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 16:39:00 UTC | #418940

Kyrill's Avatar Comment 27 by Kyrill

when it pans from Richard to the little monkey back to Richard. Did they intentionally pick a monkey that looks very much like him?

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 16:57:00 UTC | #418960

fnooples's Avatar Comment 28 by fnooples

I'm gonna amuse myself by keep hitting refresh and watching that running total go up up up and awaaaaay!

Brilliant vid as always, Josh.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:15:00 UTC | #418978

Electric Sheep's Avatar Comment 29 by Electric Sheep

I would like to echo the sentiments, outstanding video.

And it is my pleasure to make a contribute.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:18:00 UTC | #418981

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 30 by SaintStephen

From Dark Matter's link:

A universe intelligible by design principles was the conclusion of many of the great pioneers of modern science.
Yes, and the brilliant pioneer and Nobel prize winning J.J. Thomson, the discoverer of the electron and isotopes, thought the atom was like plum pudding. One constantly sees IDiots like Alastair Noble relying on appeals to ancient authorities in the pantheons of philosophy and science. They completely ignore the fact that most of these figures, however critical their contributions seemed at the time, are now part of the history of science and their views have been subsumed into a more modern synthesis. One that doesn't need design.

Tue, 01 Dec 2009 17:19:00 UTC | #418983