← Waiting For Armageddon

Waiting For Armageddon - Comments

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 1 by God fearing Atheist

I don't suppose there is any chance these nutters would like to leave the rest of out of their sick game - all the fundemental xtians, jews and muslims in a huge gladitorial arena, armed only with daggers, behind a very high enclosing wall ...

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 11:51:00 UTC | #422783

godisnotgreat's Avatar Comment 2 by godisnotgreat

Nutty Christians working together with nutty Jews and nutty Muslims for a common goal! Ain't that nice?
Pity their goal is the Armageddon.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:03:00 UTC | #422786

TheLordHumungus's Avatar Comment 3 by TheLordHumungus

Islam is a doctrine of death? These guys get their jollys off fantasizing about world war 3! They are in every way just like islam. I hope this movie gets people to pay attention to the fact that these religions cannot fucking wait for us all to die!

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:24:00 UTC | #422787

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 4 by DamnDirtyApe

If I had an army of giant robots armed with a sophisticated array of nonlethal weapons, anti-missile screens and bomb detectors, I know where I'd send them.

Science: Saving your sorry ass since the first fire on a cold night.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:32:00 UTC | #422789

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 5 by Jos Gibbons

I saw this trailer on YouTube since I don't think I have the right Quicktime plugin in my browser. The version I saw opens by saying 20 million Americans believe in this garbage. I thought it was far more than that. Either way, it's really scary.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:40:00 UTC | #422792

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 6 by Rawhard Dickins

Infantile

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 12:54:00 UTC | #422795

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 7 by Diacanu

*Looks at the pic*

I feel sorry for the child, and the dog.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:02:00 UTC | #422796

Paul42's Avatar Comment 8 by Paul42

Hi,

Ya know...

Sometimes I have real, genuine, feelings of hope. Feelings that we might just have a chance. That through education and a free exchange of information, the majority view is actually beginning to show signs of swinging towards the reasonable. Towards rationality.

Then something like this appears (again)...

That fact that religious whackjobs can be accepted in positions of power by the majority HAS to change.

My feeling that we're all fucked has just made an unwelcome return...

Love.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:03:00 UTC | #422797

andersemil's Avatar Comment 9 by andersemil

How long before some nutjobs decide that Jebus is not gonna save them until they rid him of all non-believers in the world?

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:26:00 UTC | #422801

A's Avatar Comment 10 by A

I think the title 'Waiting For Armageddon' is somewhat of a misnomer - by all accounts some are actively seeking it rather than passively waiting.

Perhaps it should have been 'Praying For Armageddon' or something that suggests the hunger they have for the end.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:37:00 UTC | #422802

Diacanu's Avatar Comment 11 by Diacanu

A

"Brutally slapping their meat for Armageddon", while bullseye accurate, wouldn't make it past the censors I fear.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:42:00 UTC | #422804

bentleyd's Avatar Comment 12 by bentleyd

Hard to tell from the description or trailer... Does this movie criticize religion or encourage it?

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 13:45:00 UTC | #422805

PaulJ's Avatar Comment 13 by PaulJ

Scary stuff. There was a BBC TV documentary a while back, "The End of the World Bus Tour", which effectively displayed the mindset of these kinds of people.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 14:23:00 UTC | #422815

Border Collie's Avatar Comment 14 by Border Collie

I don't know how many of you guys were raised with this apocalyptic stuff. I was. It sticks in your gut forever, like a gone-bad dog-meat burrito on a hot July day. It is so fucking scary when one is a little kid. The preachers who tout it are well trained and well versed in painting verbal visions of the horror and suffering if you're so unfortunate as to be "left behind". And, lo and behold, the preachers of it are the only ones who possess the remedy for your cosmic fear and angst ... the magic carpet ride out of there when the skies open, etc., etc., etc. Just fall face down for their particular death cult and you don't have to stay behind and suffer those unimaginable, but well portrayed, horrors. I still get a little twinge of fear every time I come to this site or read a Hitchen's book or post something, that they're cosmic traps, rather like those "planted" fossils, and that I'll burn for eternity for straying from the straight and narrow. I know it's silly, but the scar tissue from that particular branding iron never goes away completely.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 14:24:00 UTC | #422816

Giordano Bruno's Avatar Comment 15 by Giordano Bruno

I love the "soccer-mom" lady saying the mosque must be removed. Something tells me that back at the US she would be the kind of people that think Obama wants to kill their granny... talk about being against terror.

This movie looks like a kind of sequel to Jesus Camp, 25 years later in the lives of those poor kids.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 14:34:00 UTC | #422818

Muetze's Avatar Comment 16 by Muetze

Apple stinks. While the rest of the world is perfectly happy to watch videos on flash, or at least container formats that every player can run, like AVI or MP4, they still have to push their stupid Quicktime format. What for, I ask you?

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 14:36:00 UTC | #422820

Rich Wiltshir's Avatar Comment 17 by Rich Wiltshir

Back to the oldest marketing trick in the book; "WHILE STOCKS LAST - offer ends after Armageddon; coming soon"

We still succumb to these dumb adverts.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 14:59:00 UTC | #422827

Fuzzy Duck's Avatar Comment 18 by Fuzzy Duck

This documentary looks like it has a much better grasp of how religions actually work than that naive "Oh My God" flick. I hope this movie gets around. I've been waiting for a film like this.

By the way, any updates on Christopher Hitchens' religion documentary?

Kevin

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:29:00 UTC | #422852

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 19 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Wow... religion is so wonderful, isn't it? :P

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 16:43:00 UTC | #422859

Prankster's Avatar Comment 20 by Prankster

"There's no place for that mosque-it must be removed"? Before having a very furtive prayer outside it.

Holy shit..These people...

Tell you what love, stay there for a while with your friends and watch it get removed in a thermonuclear detonation-will that get rid of it quick enough for you?

I just love religion........right from the heart of my bottom.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:07:00 UTC | #422862

Thomas Byrne's Avatar Comment 21 by Thomas Byrne

Suspiciously has an IMdB rating of 6.4 stars from 6 votes, four only giving it 1 star (would it be too much to assume disgruntled Christians?), yet the film isn't even out yet.
I can't wait to see it anyway. This lunatics always entertain.

EDIT: Just after I typed this post a guy on the ad proved my point. "The prophetic signs; they're increasing. Just like the birth contractions of a woman." :D Comedy gold.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:08:00 UTC | #422863

quisquose's Avatar Comment 22 by quisquose

For those that hate Quicktime the trailer can also be viewed at the official site:

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:12:00 UTC | #422864

Ania's Avatar Comment 23 by Ania

They so need to make a 2012-style movie on this (sans Bill Maher) It would be way more plausible and exciting than the "Mayan" armagedon which doesn't really apply to anyone.

I find it probable that this whole rapture thing will be a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 18:18:00 UTC | #422882

sbooder's Avatar Comment 24 by sbooder

Mummy...I'm frightened!

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:00:00 UTC | #422892

Parapraxis's Avatar Comment 25 by Parapraxis

I work with a fellow who has almost word for word said some of the things said in this short trailer.
"It's all prophecy, Israel will be attacked from the East and North...Israel will be armed by the US and will bomb Iraq...It's already happening" And sadly, he seems somewhat excited about the prospect of Israel bombing Iraq or some other Muslim nation.

I didn't bother delving too deeply into explaining how what he was saying is absolute lunacy, just shuddered and laughed, and left him with a good impression that I didn't agree that the Bible held any "prophecy"...or much merit at all for that matter.

Unfortunately, however, people with this mindset are more than content to participate in self fulfilling prophesies.

We need to drive home the message that it's utter BS, Or we run the risk of sitting idly by as the extremists go about their work of bringing nuclear holocaust to the entire planet, just to satisfy ancient out-of-date texts from a poorly written, poorly translated book.

I hope this movie drives that message home.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:32:00 UTC | #422897

cjnkns's Avatar Comment 26 by cjnkns

Pity their goal is the Armageddon.

It's quite sad that the only time all the religions get along is when they are looking forward to the end of the world.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 19:44:00 UTC | #422899

maryannschulz's Avatar Comment 27 by maryannschulz

Border Collie said
"I know it's silly, but the scar tissue from that particular branding iron never goes away completely."
It's not silly - I fear many of us were branded - I for one was 'born' Catholic, labeled and programmed in the schools so that it was nearly impossible to escape from the fear of hell. Escape I have finally but with that scar. I come here everyday and read the 'atheist' books avidly. Despite the residual fear sometimes I am so much happier with life - this life on this planet in this time! The fear lessens with each day of living in reality.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 20:13:00 UTC | #422902

hal2011's Avatar Comment 28 by hal2011

I hate these types of "movies" which are not really movies! A movie is to entertain. Now, if you want almost 2 hours of laughing, you need to watch "The God Complex". Now that is funny!

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 20:19:00 UTC | #422903

TranshumanAtheist's Avatar Comment 29 by TranshumanAtheist

Ironically the biggest hustlers of this nonsense in our lifetimes have already, or will soon reach, their 80's -- namely, Tim LaHaye, Hal Lindsay and Pat Robertson. And they'll die, like Jerry Falwell (another "end times" con artist), without seeing as much as one of their toe nails getting "raptured."

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 21:35:00 UTC | #422926

Driver's Avatar Comment 30 by Driver

The prophetic signs are increasing just like the birth contractions of a woman.

Ppffwwahahahaha! And my patience with this Armageddon nonsense is decreasing just like progesterone levels before menstruation.

Sat, 12 Dec 2009 23:39:00 UTC | #422960