← Fern Britton Meets Tony Blair

Fern Britton Meets Tony Blair - Comments

mummymonkey's Avatar Comment 1 by mummymonkey

I think I'll pass on this. I can't afford a new monitor right now.

Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:39:00 UTC | #423138

Pete.K's Avatar Comment 2 by Pete.K

That man makes my skin crawl. He is a multifaceted creep who will say whatever is necessary to be Mr Popular, shame it didn't work out for him over here, but there are plenty of suckers in American willing to lap up his oozing, smarmy style of conning the gullible.

If he has so much faith in his sky daddy, why didn't he come out when his was PM, because he knew that the British public wouldn't trust a man who puts excessive faith in a work of fiction.

Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:55:00 UTC | #423145

Aztek's Avatar Comment 3 by Aztek

Video "not available in your area". I guess this is one of those rare moments I'm happy not to be able to view a video. Thanks to the BBC for not making my ears and eyes bleed.

Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:56:00 UTC | #423147

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 4 by Jos Gibbons

I'll pass on it too. After an iPlayer glitch within about 6 minutes left me unable to resume my previous location, I realized I'd heard enough "wait, that's wrong/dishonest/worrying because ..." things in the first tenth of the frigging thing I didn't expect to enjoy the rest. FB seems to think members of the religion who regularly sing "Onward Christian Soldiers" would be anti-war, while Blair seems to judge what percentage of the UK populace attend Church by how full are Churches that know he's coming to them rather than actual stats on the issue. Amazingly, although as I said I barely saw 10 per cent of this rubbish, I could actually go on with yet other complaints about these two idiots.

Sun, 13 Dec 2009 22:57:00 UTC | #423148

j.mills's Avatar Comment 5 by j.mills

Let me know when he says, "I am retiring from public life." Until then, I have no interest in what this slimy hollow man says. Hearing him only makes me angry.

Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:23:00 UTC | #423153

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 6 by Rawhard Dickins

Well I thought I summed it up perfectly when I submitted the video:

Tony Blair spouts shite about war and his quirky personal religious beleif in some big super-daddy in the sky and how little baby Jesus came to be mistook for the creator of the universe while also happening to be his son, and his unrequited love for Geoge Bush in a BBC Fern Britton interview:

There! Now you don't have to suffer it!

Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:39:00 UTC | #423159

rsharvey's Avatar Comment 7 by rsharvey

Had to stop after 20mins. Can't see it getting interesting. This should have been an interesting interview, but it turns out Britton is a fundie herself! Thanks BBC

Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:49:00 UTC | #423162

cnocspeireag's Avatar Comment 8 by cnocspeireag

As we all knew, he wasn't fit to be PM of the UK. He's now proved it and we can assume he caused the appalling war by 'lying for Jebus'.

Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:53:00 UTC | #423163

Azven's Avatar Comment 9 by Azven

Tony, you're nearly a laugh
Tony, you're nearly a laugh
But you're really a cry

Sun, 13 Dec 2009 23:55:00 UTC | #423164

retep57's Avatar Comment 10 by retep57

foolishness needs to be challenged and countered at every point. Where are the intelligent comments published ?( apart from here).

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 01:28:00 UTC | #423179

beanson's Avatar Comment 11 by beanson

@12:50
As TB states that he got confirmed into x-ian religion at university the interviewer simpers that she wasn't confirmed until she was 38. At this point I consider the interview has null interest to me

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 05:57:00 UTC | #423209

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 12 by Bernard Hurley

The interview is pretty bland and no difficult question are asked but eventually it gets round to his Faith Foundation and its first piece of "Comunity Action", which is a plan to rid the world of malaria. The only reason he gives for doing it through an organisation like his is that in rural Africa clinics are few and far between but every village has a church or mosque. While it might be a good idea to try to utilse the resources of these organisations, this is a matter of logistics not faith. Furthermore it is pertinant to ask why there are so few clinics and so many churches and mosques. It is clear the the various faiths have done precious little about the local people's health so far so why should they suddenly become interested just because Tony Blair is involved?

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 06:13:00 UTC | #423210

Roy_H's Avatar Comment 13 by Roy_H

"He also reveals his hopes for the faith foundation he has set up to encourage people from different religions to work together"
Different religions getting working together? We all know that will happen when (The non-existent) Hell freezes over.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 06:43:00 UTC | #423212

Rodger T's Avatar Comment 14 by Rodger T

Damn shame, video not available in my area, now I`ll never know why believing in a medieval take on a bronze age fairytale is important.

Azven,

Ha,ha charade he is : )

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:16:00 UTC | #423221

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 15 by Stafford Gordon

I steeled myself to watch it, and was relieved to be spared seeing and listening to it; this kind of material is central to why I stopped watching television years ago.

I await the outcome of the Iraq war enquiry; what will his legacy finally be? Toast?

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:19:00 UTC | #423223

beanson's Avatar Comment 16 by beanson

if only

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 08:23:00 UTC | #423224

gcdavis's Avatar Comment 17 by gcdavis

I think the mods ought to remove all offensive restrictions on this thread. I would like to throw every expletive that I can muster at this vile creep (can I say that?)

Blair treated our parliament with utter contempt and if I was in arms length of him and was holding a model of the Vatican in my right hand I would gladly do a Berlusconi on him!

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:33:00 UTC | #423231

gcdavis's Avatar Comment 18 by gcdavis

16. Comment #441784 by beanson

Brilliant, I wish I had thought of it!

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 09:34:00 UTC | #423232

scoobie's Avatar Comment 19 by scoobie

It transpires he's just an ordinary shmoe who is under the impression that god approves of what he does. Except when he doesn't sometimes. Not that he can ever really tell. But that's the anglican god for you.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:07:00 UTC | #423243

brainsys's Avatar Comment 20 by brainsys

So much hope in 1997. I never thought I would never see a Prime Minister do more damage to the UK than Margaret Thatcher. How wrong can one be? A problem TB doesn't appear to share with me.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:13:00 UTC | #423244

AMreasonedthinker's Avatar Comment 21 by AMreasonedthinker

watched this when it was broadcast, wake'n'bake on a Sunday morning left me know choice.

Did anyone see his response to her question "Is there only one God?"

very telling

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 11:48:00 UTC | #423247

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 22 by Rawhard Dickins

A simple test for Blair's logic:

Why did you chose to go into Iraq and not

Iran / Libya / Somalia etc. etc....?

(Not for one moment suggesting that we should).

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:04:00 UTC | #423250

Philster61's Avatar Comment 23 by Philster61

As much as Im ashamed to admit it. I voted for Tony Blair in 97. I thought he held so much promise and was very like-able. He started losing it probably around 2001 after 9/11. When he allowed Bush to cajole him into an illegal war upon Afghanistan. From then on he slid down and after 2003, he had lost the plot entirely. I dont think we can really fully gauge the extent of damage the horrible Bush presidency did to the world. Its a pity that Tony Blair didnt stand up to Bush and instead of playing Bush´ heel, play his parental adviser.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:13:00 UTC | #423251

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 24 by Stafford Gordon

I get the impression that he thinks he has done and can do no wrong.

I agree entirely about Margaret Hilda, but I knew where she was coming from and what to expect;
this creep seemed to show promise.

The first prerequisite of any Prime Minister is historical perspective, this guy has none.

He seems to be self obsessed, thinking history is in the future and will contain his legacy; it probably will, but not in the way he would wish.

It'll be fascinating to see how it pans out; will there perhaps be the smell of burning toast, or will he somehow manage to escape?

Sadly, the latter I fear.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:14:00 UTC | #423252

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 25 by hungarianelephant

22. Comment #441810 by Rawhard Dickins

A simple test for Blair's logic:

Why did you chose to go into Iraq and not

Iran / Libya / Somalia etc. etc....?

Oh, well that's an easy one. There were other states which had known WMD programmes. There were other states which had waged war on their own civilians. There were other states which had attacked their neighbours, and there were other states which had financially supported terrorism. But Iraq was the only one where all of those factors converged.

If you were going to start trying to spread some civilised order - and it's a very big "if" indeed - that was as good a place as any to start.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:23:00 UTC | #423255

rsharvey's Avatar Comment 26 by rsharvey

You don't have to be ashamed to have voted for him Philster61. He stood on a very attractive platform and represented change from a very unpopular government. But his failure to live up to his promises (right from the start by the way) is a lesson to all of us - 'left wing' politician's can be weazly lying shitbags too.

So there's no shame in voting for a 'Tony' first time round. We just have to make sure we aren't gullible enough to fall for the same 'tory in liberals clothing' trick twice...

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:33:00 UTC | #423256

JRD7's Avatar Comment 27 by JRD7

brainsys,

Let's not go overboard, Thatcher was pure evil. Blair just bought in to his own hype, and thought he could act without checks and balance, and to be fair to him, he pretty much did.

I believe he wanted to be assured of his place in history and saw 9/11 and jihad, as the modern equivalent of Nazism. He wanted to allign himself as Britains next churchill and ignored anything that wouldn't result in this conclusion, such as evidence. But that's just what faith heads always do. That's why times of prayer and reflection seem to confirm the preset biases of the prayee (is that a word?) and never result in a 180 degree change of position.

However, my family originate from working class Liverpool, so I feel qualified to state that Thatcher declared war on her own people.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:40:00 UTC | #423258

Inside centre's Avatar Comment 28 by Inside centre

I find it difficult to comment on Tony Blair without using some fairly strong C words.

Second only in the pantheon of 20th century prime ministerial cock bags to Maggie.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:40:00 UTC | #423259

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 29 by Rawhard Dickins

Hungarianelephant

I suspect it has more to do with unfinished business by the Bush family.

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:42:00 UTC | #423260

hungarianelephant's Avatar Comment 30 by hungarianelephant

30. Comment #441821 by Rawhard Dickins

I suspect it has more to do with unfinished business by the Bush family.

Yes, that is the conventional narrative. Is it backed up by any evidence?

Mon, 14 Dec 2009 12:45:00 UTC | #423261