← The BIG Debates Trailer: Islam or Atheism? You Decide! - 19, 21 & 22 June

The BIG Debates Trailer: Islam or Atheism? You Decide! - 19, 21 & 22 June - Comments

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 1 by huzonfurst

Hey, the topic is enough to get me interested so please leave the distracting visual effects for your kids and their games, okay?

Sun, 06 Jun 2010 19:55:20 UTC | #477221

dreamer-71's Avatar Comment 2 by dreamer-71

Wow, this could be a trailer for one of those cheesy wrestling shows.

Sun, 06 Jun 2010 20:13:02 UTC | #477228

Phil.A's Avatar Comment 3 by Phil.A

I hear the Terminator is making a showing

Sun, 06 Jun 2010 21:34:56 UTC | #477263

at3p's Avatar Comment 4 by at3p

@dreamer, it does interest the moderates, many of whom believe that all large monotheistic religions are the same, just with a different labels; they will side with the muslims.

Sun, 06 Jun 2010 22:05:26 UTC | #477287

sirmailbox's Avatar Comment 5 by sirmailbox

I like the one part where a speaker says, "The supernatural claims, uh, don't amount to very much," and then an explosion sound plays.

Sun, 06 Jun 2010 22:27:36 UTC | #477300

prolibertas's Avatar Comment 6 by prolibertas

"I can imagine a lot of xtians dismissing this debate by thinking, "Islam vs. atheism? Gee, I choose neither." I am curious how much appeal this will have outside the Islamic & atheist communities...."

Who cares? There's countless 'christianity vs. atheism' debates they can watch, and hardly any (if any) that address other religions. It'd be good to have a debate that's relevant to muslims. The moderates, at least.

However, it was definitely a very cheesy and over-the-top trailer. I'd rather have more content than flashing lights and try-hard terminator music.

Updated: Sun, 06 Jun 2010 22:41:25 UTC | #477306

Apeseed's Avatar Comment 7 by Apeseed

If the debate is between Islam and atheism then how does the Muslims preserving Greek writings have any bearing on it? That would be for a debate as to who was more interested in preserving knowledge, Christians or Muslims.

Of course it says nothing about whether either are true in and of themselves.

Sun, 06 Jun 2010 22:42:02 UTC | #477308

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 8 by mordacious1

(imagine loud echo voice)

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNND NOW....IN THIS CORNER, WEARING THE BLUE TRUNKS AND WEIGHING IN AT 185 LBS....THE SMITER OF NON-SENSE....THE IMPALER OF ISLAMIC BULLSHIT......DOCTOR EEEEEEED BUCKNER!!!!!!

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 00:07:45 UTC | #477343

CleverCarbon's Avatar Comment 9 by CleverCarbon

Zeus on a bike that was an annoying trailer, it managed to be garish and OTT whilst remaining utterly boring at the same time. They're supposed to be advertising a debate of intellect, science and philosophy; not the next season of 'to catch a predator'.

Maybe I'm a cynic, but I can't imagine this being a very good debate. Debates, although primarily are about content, require at least a portion of showmanship and charisma. I can't claim to of seen very much from Ed Buckner, but he doesn't come across as someone suited to sway the opinion of a room full of people. Or in other words, He's no Hitchens.

Also, minor note, Surely "Atheism vs Islam" is something of a strange and poorly chosen Debate subject? Islam is an ideology, a world view, a moral code, a philosophy that makes factual claims about a number of things, whereas atheism is simply not accepting the validity of one of those claims. There's also the matter of how many presuppositions the Atheists would have to Grant the Muslims, because unless they can show there's a reason to accept their initial claim of "There is a theistic God" there's no point in getting into the details of which theistic God, which brand of that theistic God, Which version of that brand of that theistic God etc. etc. etc.

Perhaps a better title would be "Secularism vs Islam" or "Secular Humanism vs Islam"; Atheism can only really be pitted against Theism/deism.

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 00:11:56 UTC | #477345

njwong's Avatar Comment 10 by njwong

Cue Terminator theme...

Just read the other article about Ted Haggard returning to the pulpit, so the Terminator theme immediately reminded me of "I'll be back."

And of course, the saviour of mankind in the Terminator series is John Connor, or JC (Jesus Christ). Talk about loaded music themes...

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 00:22:47 UTC | #477350

Merco's Avatar Comment 11 by Merco

Islam vs Atheism. Great. Next maybe we'll see an ant vs a dinosaur. It's awkward seeing a cheesy trailer hype it up.

Besides, we've all seen Muslim debating tools a thousand times already. Continuous death threats followed by the phrase "this is not a threat". Or a well placed Jihad.

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 00:25:31 UTC | #477352

Gunga Lagunga's Avatar Comment 12 by Gunga Lagunga

Islam versus Atheism? I think we should let God decide:

Waiting for His decision... still listening... Jeopardy theme song plays...

Well, I guess that just about wraps it up.

Updated: Mon, 07 Jun 2010 00:31:09 UTC | #477354

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 13 by Carl Sai Baba

I hate the overuse of "you decide!" Oh, thanks for giving me permission.

I don't know which is more annoying, being granted permission to make a decision when I don't actually need anyone's permission, or being granted permission to "decide" when it isn't even possible. Fox News will say things like "Is global warming real? You decide!" No, dumbasses, I don't get to decide that. Whatever the truth is, it isn't waiting for my 'OK' to be so.

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 01:38:52 UTC | #477374

TrumpetPower!'s Avatar Comment 14 by TrumpetPower!

Here’s the question I’d ask if I were there, but that I know would never actually be permitted: “Islam is a religion devoted to the veracity of an ancient oral tradition about a man who rode a flying horse into the sky. Why should anybody even pretend to respect the Koran and those who worship it more than one should respect any other fairy tale and those so deluded they can’t recognize it as such?”

Cheers,

b&

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 01:40:13 UTC | #477375

zengardener's Avatar Comment 15 by zengardener

I would like to see this debate Despite the trailer.

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 03:18:42 UTC | #477397

AreYouSancho?'s Avatar Comment 16 by AreYouSancho?

I've seen many debates with Muslims.. they ALL went like this: "the trees, the animals, humans, this is PROOF of God. PRAISE ALLAH" "How so? you haven't put forward any evidence" "we ARE the evidence! It is clear and you are ignorant! PRAISE ALLAH" "...uhhhhh" "ISLAM IS THE TRUE RELIGION PRAISE ALLAH!!!" audience goes nuts for Muslim debated

basically, and I've seen like 10 of these, every time they get the audience worked up into a religious frenzy, much better than any xtian debater ever could. I have never heard a logical argument, it was just working up the audience and arguments from ignorance. so painful to watch

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 09:36:21 UTC | #477482

TheCroatianGuy's Avatar Comment 17 by TheCroatianGuy

Needs moar explosions.

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 11:18:27 UTC | #477518

Dover Beach's Avatar Comment 18 by Dover Beach

Why is it that Moslems always arrogate the credit for any scientific advances made in Islamic societies to their religion? Given that they pique themselves on their translation of Greek scientific texts it might be thought that they would recognise the superiority of Greek paganism to their own beliefs. The astounding scientific advances made in Europe and America are credited to European and American science, not to Protestanism or Catholicism, whatever the prevailing belief system in the scientists country might be. Surely a large proportion of scientific discoveries have been made by atheists but we don't talk of atheist science. Let's have Arab Science, Australian Science, German Science, World Science but please not the oxymoron of Islamic Science. Christian Science, of course, is quite another animal!

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 13:42:07 UTC | #477598

keithapm's Avatar Comment 19 by keithapm

Comment 18 by Dover Beach Christian

...Christian Science, of course, is quite another animal! True but they share a common ancestor and exhibit similar behavioural characteristics... like chasing their own tails for example...

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 15:10:55 UTC | #477621

black wolf's Avatar Comment 20 by black wolf

Comment 18 by Dover Beach :

...

Actually, let's have science. Once you've determined that any scientific endeavor you undertake will point to God, you've stopped doing science before you've begun. The islamic world by and large has stopped beginning to do science centuries ago. Large format glossy books are no substitute.

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 16:13:05 UTC | #477646

Freethinker15's Avatar Comment 21 by Freethinker15

Surely this can only be a good thing as we have a real chance to level some much needed criticism towards Islam that I bet very few muslims are aware of, and maybe deconvert a few muslims. This could also help the secruity services no end... lol... below the belt?

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 17:58:52 UTC | #477669

Consciousmess's Avatar Comment 22 by Consciousmess

Islam needs to be eradicated. It is so backward it doesn't deserve to be put against atheism.

Having said this, what Freethinker15 says above is a good point. How we work on eradicating Muslims is by educating then to think beyond the dogma preached by their seniors.

As a side note, on the Big Questions that Nicky Cambell hosts every Sunday on BBC1, Nick referred to a Muslim spokesman and said he was a rational thinker. Such a phrase infuriates as it is a total oxymoron!!!

Jon

Mon, 07 Jun 2010 18:40:11 UTC | #477693

besleybean's Avatar Comment 23 by besleybean

Yes I remember hearing that, Consciousmess. I took it to mean he was a ' moderate'.

Tue, 08 Jun 2010 06:14:09 UTC | #477919

alevel18's Avatar Comment 24 by alevel18

LOL @ mordacious1

This looks more like a trailer for the Terminator movies. Very interesting topic non the less. I for one will definitely be attending. We need more debates like these.

Wed, 09 Jun 2010 10:34:59 UTC | #478428

NewWorld's Avatar Comment 25 by NewWorld

Sounds great. I just would prefer to go to the other atheist event in that weekend... with Richard Dawkins, A.C. Grayling, Richard Wiseman, Victor Stenger, P.Z. Myers, Rebecca Goldstein, Dan Barker, Paula Kirby, Michael Nugent, James Randi,...

(International Atheist Conference, held at the Royal Library, The Black Diamond in Copenhagen, 18-20 june.)

Updated: Wed, 09 Jun 2010 14:06:37 UTC | #478473

alevel18's Avatar Comment 26 by alevel18

I must admit, i was a little disappointed with Dr.Ed's arguments; a little weak. Nothing new, in terms of arguments, from the Atheists side.

Very funny guy none-the-less :-D

Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:05:18 UTC | #482923

salam's Avatar Comment 27 by salam

let us stop here islam is not that easy,they have a lot of big question for atheist no one can deny and they have a logic answer atheist dont have I must admit,

Fri, 01 Jun 2012 12:47:34 UTC | #944954

Anvil's Avatar Comment 28 by Anvil

Comment 27 by salam

Sorry Salem, bit confused here? Are you saying that Islam has many questions to ask of atheism?

And that Islam contains logical answers (to, I suppose, the meaning of life, the universe, and everything) that atheism does not?

Could you please rephrase your point?

Sorry, occasionally I'm a bit dense.

Anvil.

Fri, 01 Jun 2012 13:15:00 UTC | #944958

Anvil's Avatar Comment 29 by Anvil

Wow, just looked at the date on the thread - It'a a very old thread you know, Salem?

Still, welcome to the site.

Anvil.

Fri, 01 Jun 2012 13:17:12 UTC | #944960

salam's Avatar Comment 30 by salam

thank you for your welcome i have seen the date before i wright my comment it does not matter old or new what matters is (my comment is new)

Mon, 04 Jun 2012 23:17:39 UTC | #945596