← Symphony of Science - 'The Unbroken Thread' (ft. Attenborough, Goodall, Sagan)

Symphony of Science - 'The Unbroken Thread' (ft. Attenborough, Goodall, Sagan) - Comments

Francis Clarke's Avatar Comment 1 by Francis Clarke

Music can evoke great passions in people, I think this sort of thing is just the ticket!

Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:30:00 UTC | #429503

Veon's Avatar Comment 2 by Veon

I love this series.
Espesially "A Glorious Dawn"

Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:39:00 UTC | #429505

Dean Buchanan's Avatar Comment 3 by Dean Buchanan

evoke great passions in people

FC...I agree that educating people that "There is grandeur in this view of life" (RD 2009) is vitally important. I also think that the production value is pretty good. I remember growing up with "Omni" magazine and Carl Sagan. Their inspiration played a great part in my love of learning. Through that learning, I gradually shed the 'magical thinking' of youth and adopted a (I hope) rational approach to life and lifelong learning. It is not trite to say that these simple things can change the world for the better.

Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:40:00 UTC | #429506

lenlayton's Avatar Comment 4 by lenlayton

Brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:43:00 UTC | #429507

JuJu's Avatar Comment 5 by JuJu

@ Veon, Yeah, 'A Glorious Dawn' was really good. I like the beginning " If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe."I don't care who you are, That's Cool!!!

Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:55:00 UTC | #429510

Ilovelucy's Avatar Comment 6 by Ilovelucy

I have to admit that there is a part of me that thinks "blasphemy!" when I hear Attenborough's altered voice; and there's another part of me that thinks "Kermit the Frog!" whenever I hear the altered voice of Sagan ( from about 1.10).

Wed, 06 Jan 2010 23:57:00 UTC | #429511

tom0kiely@hotmail.com's Avatar Comment 7 by tom0kiely@hotmail.com

Attenborough's unaltered voice is a work of art.
If it aint broke don't fix it.
Apart from that you cannot really fail to make a bad video if you include these three legends.

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 00:33:00 UTC | #429518

Tom Morris's Avatar Comment 8 by Tom Morris

They are pretty damn fantastic. The cellular animations fit perfectly in the biological one. As is the Sagan line "If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe". There's a kind of interesting science/nature aesthetic which really needs exploring - and I really quite like the autotune. There have been some really sarcastic uses of autotune like the Autotune the News videos, but here they are fun but, when combined with the music and the subject matter, they aren't trivialised.

What's cool about these is that once people see them, they may then click through and, say, watch Sagan or Feynman or Attenborough.

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 00:55:00 UTC | #429523

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 9 by Agrajag

7. Comment #448252 by Lastandfirstmen on January 7, 2010 at 12:33 am

Attenborough's unaltered voice is a work of art.
If it aint broke don't fix it.

Did I miss something? :/
Steve

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 01:57:00 UTC | #429542

Fuzzy Duck's Avatar Comment 10 by Fuzzy Duck

Attenborough is God. He just won't admit it because he's too smart to believe in such things.

Kevin

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 02:22:00 UTC | #429551

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 11 by Frankus1122

I know how I will begin my class tomorrow morning.

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 03:00:00 UTC | #429561

Paul42's Avatar Comment 12 by Paul42

Lovely.

Thank you...

Love.

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 03:10:00 UTC | #429563

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 13 by KRKBAB

When I heard the altered voices, my inner curmudgeon tried to squelch the experience of listening to it. Fortunately, I am now able to say "go fuck yourself" to my inner curmudgeon. Then I almost cried when I immersed myself into it. Very uplifting to hear it for someone who is a bit suicidal.

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 03:35:00 UTC | #429571

weavehole's Avatar Comment 14 by weavehole

Word of the Day for Today:

Wuzzier.

:D

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 03:51:00 UTC | #429574

SaintStephen's Avatar Comment 15 by SaintStephen

They're just too darn short.

But infinitely sweet.

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 06:31:00 UTC | #429599

Roy_H's Avatar Comment 16 by Roy_H

Oh sorry, I just hated it! To hear their great and familar voices altered like that just went through me.It had the same affect as someone rubbing their fingernails against an inflated balloon.

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 07:09:00 UTC | #429602

urn's Avatar Comment 17 by urn

why the hell would somone alter the voices like that? makes it sound like some crappy rap song.
honestly, i couldn't watch it.

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 08:04:00 UTC | #429612

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 18 by Rawhard Dickins

From the album "Vocoder Grates" ?

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 09:08:00 UTC | #429623

weemanafghan's Avatar Comment 19 by weemanafghan

Jeezo, are they really that bad? Come on lighten up. Is what they are saying/singing interesting, true, uplifting? How about a campaign to make one of these number one for Darwin Day. Would really annoy the "supers" no end.

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:24:00 UTC | #429633

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 20 by Rawhard Dickins

I thought the first was good.

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:43:00 UTC | #429634

RichardNevin's Avatar Comment 21 by RichardNevin

Brilliant, loved it.

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:47:00 UTC | #429635

jaytee_555's Avatar Comment 22 by jaytee_555

I'm glad I'm not the only one who didn't like it. I feel it's unneccessary and cheezy. I don't think science's lilly needs gilding. It comes over as science's answer to the leather clad, ear-ring wearing, trendy vicar.

It has been done very, very well, of course, but if a thing's not worth doing, it's not worth doing well.

Still...it's a matter of taste, I suppose.

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 12:23:00 UTC | #429660

Mr Blue Sky's Avatar Comment 23 by Mr Blue Sky

Another channel of distribution for the same products is always useful but I am a little set in my ways and prefer the messages in other forms. There will be those however who may respond very positively and find their interest in science increased- and we all know where that can lead! So well done but don't lose the originals.

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 12:32:00 UTC | #429664

geru's Avatar Comment 24 by geru

I'll have to say that I agree with Lastandfirstmen, Attenborough's narration is already music, so why try to transform it into music?

It's just redundant, like making sausages out of sausages. :)

But I do love the songs, keep up the good work!

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 14:23:00 UTC | #429675

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 25 by Agrajag

I quite enjoyed the altered voices. The result of treating Attenborough's voice reminded me of Gregorian chant.
Steve

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 20:37:00 UTC | #429762

Veon's Avatar Comment 26 by Veon

It's called the symphony of science. I think the idea is to make music.

If they made it spoken word all the comments would be Shatner jokes.

I prefer auto-tune. It's not like it's all that hard to find the original clips.

Thu, 07 Jan 2010 22:58:00 UTC | #429823

bluebird's Avatar Comment 27 by bluebird

"When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world"
John Muir

A biology themed fourth installment, I love it! Attractive new design of the S of S website, btw.

Pleasant surprise to see Jane Goodall in this video; she has a new book, 'Hope for Animals and Their World' (http://janegoodallhopeforanimals.com/).

Fri, 08 Jan 2010 15:17:00 UTC | #430114

rogerdr's Avatar Comment 28 by rogerdr

ID62, if you're going to quote, "There is grandeur in this view of life", you might want to give the original author the credit. ;)

Good stuff. I kinda agree that I don't particularly like the artificial voice altering (which seems to be so damned trendy lately) but, for the most part, these were done very well. It only reminded me why these scientists are celebrated spokesmen: their natural voices are incredibly expressive. With the extraordinary and ironically apt exception of Hawking, these people really do sing without needing to be altered.

Fri, 08 Jan 2010 20:10:00 UTC | #430205