← What happens when you display "Forbidden art"

What happens when you display "Forbidden art" - Comments

Reilly616's Avatar Comment 1 by Reilly616

I hope they appeal. It's something that could go all the way to the ECHR, but I doubt they'll bother for just $7K.

Mon, 12 Jul 2010 22:30:35 UTC | #488310

MickeyDroy's Avatar Comment 2 by MickeyDroy

I'd feel a lot more interested if I didn't know just how devoted the Economist magazine is to bashing all things Russian and especially all things Medvedev/Putin.

I was a subscriber or 20 years and really loved it, but on a handful of issues they just get them wrong wrong wrong for decades. And it is personalities and personal agendas that cause it (made easier by rarely revealing authors names).

Mon, 12 Jul 2010 23:07:52 UTC | #488317

chawinwords's Avatar Comment 3 by chawinwords

"Mr Yerofeev apologises (link in Russian) for unintentionally hurting believers' feelings...."

I wonder what they would do with America's Preacher Phelps, intentionally hurting every one's feelings? How odd, I wonder if it is against the law for "believers" to hurt the fickle feelings of non-believers, like promising them a one-way ticket to hell for not believing as they do?

Nuts!!!!

Tue, 13 Jul 2010 00:08:10 UTC | #488324

bethe123's Avatar Comment 4 by bethe123

When Russia wants to crack down on a story, you don't get extensive coverage on RT, or you might get a strong bias. The RT video did not seem that bad.

Tue, 13 Jul 2010 01:31:26 UTC | #488328

godsbelow's Avatar Comment 5 by godsbelow

Christopher Hitchens has been warning for a couple of years now of the sinister partnership developing between the Russian Orthodox church and the revanchist Putin regime. Not really surprising: nationalist politics goes hand in hand with national religion.

Comment 4 by bethe123 :

Perhaps the reason the regime isn't cracking down on this story is because the it wants to make the point that 'blasphemy' will not be tolerated.

Tue, 13 Jul 2010 06:42:23 UTC | #488354

sirmailbox's Avatar Comment 6 by sirmailbox

Russia has always been backwards, utterly rooted in totalitarianism. I don't think we can expect it to shake off those old filthy tendencies any time soon.

Tue, 13 Jul 2010 07:33:32 UTC | #488360

NilsG's Avatar Comment 7 by NilsG

"They shall put handcuffs on flowers" (F Llorca)

Tue, 13 Jul 2010 08:43:58 UTC | #488370

at3p's Avatar Comment 8 by at3p

I hope all atheist writters will allocate more attention to the Eastern Orthodox Church, which is a shadow of the former USSR (with which it collaborated on all levels to uncover spies and rebels during the Soviet era)... The Putin regimes have been a center-right-wing nationalist influence which has been reviving the influence of the OC along with older jingoistic mentalities. This is also happening in many countries from the former USSR, including Romania, where I live. The christian orthodox church is crazier than the catholic one, but less wealthy, and much closer to the fundamentalism of middle-eastern societies and to feudalism.

Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:22:56 UTC | #488377

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 9 by Nunbeliever

Well, as a finnish citizen I might be a bit partial concerning Russian matters. But this is of no suprise to me. Russia is no democracy. Has never been and probably never will be one. The old feodal roots go way too deep and the extreme nationalistic tendencies we have seen emerging during the last two decades really worries me! Read my lips when I say Russia is bound to be a big trouble spot in the future. It is more or less inevitable...

Updated: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 10:29:13 UTC | #488378

keddaw's Avatar Comment 10 by keddaw

@Reilly616,

It could no more go to the ECHR than the Supreme Court in the USA. Russia is not signed up to European treaties on most things, let alone human rights.

I feel sorry for the poor wee souls who had their feelings hurt because somebody put Mickey Mouse on a cross (have Disney been told?)

My omnipotent god needs the protection of law and the threat of violence from his believers because he can't take care of himself. Or is it actually the fact that they know their beliefs are ridiculous that make them want special protection from criticism?

Tue, 13 Jul 2010 11:31:45 UTC | #488385

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 11 by aquilacane

Feelings hurt... shit's sake. Try being threatened with hellfire your whole life. Punks. Hurt feelings should be the minimum they expect.

Updated: Tue, 13 Jul 2010 12:51:00 UTC | #488396

Rich Wilson's Avatar Comment 12 by Rich Wilson

I was reading a book about a British journalists trip down the Volga in the very late 80s as things were beginning to unravel. There was a story about a demonstration, in which one of the signs was (translated of course) "Democracy immediately, please" I thought the 'please' was pretty funny. I mentioned it to my Russian tutor. For her the interesting part was the expectation of something being given from above. The protester didn't think Democracy was something to work for, but rather to simply ask for. She went on to point out Russia's long history of being ruled by an autocratic authority, whether it be a Tsar or Lenin or Stalin.

I later talked to a Russian who had worked at a factory during the fall of the Soviet Union. Everyone in the factory was given shares. The managers told everyone to sell them their shares at a stated price, so everyone did. That's what you did. Whatever the party/boss/manager told you to. So the workers got a few kopeks, and the managers became the new rich owners.

Tue, 13 Jul 2010 19:08:30 UTC | #488457

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 13 by KRKBAB

They're "sorry" they hurt their feelings? The Russian Orthodox funny man in a black dress mentions "sacred symbols"?! Fuck yer sacred symbols! And I'd feel privileged to hurt the feelings of the pious. My advance apologies to Nunbeliever for being a crude, passionate 'merican.

Tue, 13 Jul 2010 20:27:23 UTC | #488477

ceca's Avatar Comment 14 by ceca

thanks to the link Unfortunately there many and more trimmers historys, like these one, exist in the putins russia examples like magnitsky case and khodorkovsky and lebedev trial and many others can give you a better look at the worrying problems that russia is facing today

Tue, 13 Jul 2010 22:44:50 UTC | #488504

MickeyDroy's Avatar Comment 15 by MickeyDroy

Comment 6 by sirmailbox :

Yes, yes, yes - but you are drawing the wrong conclusion. A dreadful past and yet it is making big strides forwards. For every step forward the reaction is invariably just to say how far behind they are.

Enormous improvements are being presented as a bad static situation by big chunks of the Western media (often in cohorts with former Russian Oligarchs now out of favour with the current regime for meddling in politics and over criminal activities - such at Khordovsky's backers).

Of course, the quite deliberate manipulation of Russia's image by parts (not all) of the Western media actually makes russia look better in comparison.

Tue, 13 Jul 2010 23:10:54 UTC | #488510

Flapjack's Avatar Comment 16 by Flapjack

At the risk of doing a Godwin, we've been here before... in the 1930's http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Degenerate_art

Wed, 14 Jul 2010 05:58:00 UTC | #488544