← Woman doesn't know about light refraction

Woman doesn't know about light refraction - Comments

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 1 by Ignorant Amos

Why is this video on RD.net if ya don't mind me asking? Have I missed something?

Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:36:58 UTC | #491701

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 2 by helen sotiriadis

like i said when i first saw this: somebody... unweave her the rainbow.

Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:51:12 UTC | #491704

elmo14's Avatar Comment 3 by elmo14

I'm not sure about that either. I guess it just fits in with the problems with the lack of science education in the states... but I certainly found it very amusing.

Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:53:28 UTC | #491705

fuzzylogic's Avatar Comment 4 by fuzzylogic

Oldy but goody

Thu, 22 Jul 2010 20:59:34 UTC | #491706

Tord M's Avatar Comment 5 by Tord M

At least she didn't call it a miracle, but theorized a "natural" explanation about metal oxide salts from the ground. I guess the sprinkler wasn't there 20 years ago, so her observations are partly right also. She's got a scientific mind, but no education.

Updated: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 21:02:57 UTC | #491708

RAcurso's Avatar Comment 6 by RAcurso

If the sprinkler wasn't there 20 years ago she clearly has no relevant data to compare her present day observations to, therefore there is nothing "scientific" about her observations.

Thu, 22 Jul 2010 21:07:30 UTC | #491709

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 7 by TheRationalizer

I'm sorry to tell you but you have been fooled by a spoof. I don't recall the original user's account name but she had a few different spoof videos, in this one she is taking the piss out of chemtrail conspiracy theorists or something (I don't recall.)

She just joking, somebody got fooled :-P

Thu, 22 Jul 2010 21:13:19 UTC | #491710

ShoutingQuietly's Avatar Comment 8 by ShoutingQuietly

Christ on a bike!

Thu, 22 Jul 2010 21:47:31 UTC | #491720

mucca's Avatar Comment 9 by mucca

These people get to vote.

Thu, 22 Jul 2010 21:48:02 UTC | #491721

Marc Country's Avatar Comment 10 by Marc Country

An ancient internet classic (the ominous sirens in the background are a nice, if unintentional effect).

Indeed, why this makes it onto this page, is puzzling, considering I've submitted obviously more worthy material, which never shows up here.

Seriously, as a website, we've got to ask ourselves:

WHAT IS OOZING OUT OF OUR GROUND?

Thu, 22 Jul 2010 21:52:12 UTC | #491722

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 11 by Agrajag

Comment 10 by Marc Country :

Seriously, as a website, we've got to ask ourselves: WHAT IS OOZING OUT OF OUR GROUND?

Well, it obviously isn't basic science education!

Steve

Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:06:19 UTC | #491732

Tord M's Avatar Comment 12 by Tord M

I thought is was funny (hadn't seen it before). I don't mind it being on this page. A bit of humor and irony is always great.

Thu, 22 Jul 2010 22:29:32 UTC | #491747

tia_darcy's Avatar Comment 13 by tia_darcy

Yes, there's something in her water supply.

Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:04:58 UTC | #491756

David-in-Toronto's Avatar Comment 14 by David-in-Toronto

Comment 7 by TheRationalizer - I'm sorry to tell you but you have been fooled by a spoof.

Pfftt! Next you’ll be telling us that dihydrogen monoxide is perfectly safe. :-)

Updated: Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:40:17 UTC | #491770

egor's Avatar Comment 15 by egor

This reminded me of a lady I knew who thought day light saving faded her curtains because there was now an extra hour of sun light.

Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:43:22 UTC | #491776

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 16 by Ignorant Amos

While I agree this was funny, whether real or a prank, I don't think it has any place on this site over the abundance of more deserving videos out there...whether they be comical, scientific, religious, Atheist or whatever.

I'm just puzzled that's all...perhaps the admins can explain?

Thu, 22 Jul 2010 23:45:24 UTC | #491780

Logicel's Avatar Comment 17 by Logicel

If it is a spoof, it is a good one. Her voice was just too hilarious, droning on and on.

Fri, 23 Jul 2010 00:25:55 UTC | #491796

Jesus H. Christ's Avatar Comment 18 by Jesus H. Christ

Her misuse of apostrophes is killing me.

Fri, 23 Jul 2010 00:43:18 UTC | #491802

mmurray's Avatar Comment 19 by mmurray

Comment 15 by egor :

Damn I hit the flag comment again instead of the double quotes. Maybe the flag could be placed somewhere else for dills like me !

Back to my comment. This kind of remark is not as foolish as it seems. I would assume the curtains fade when closed with the sun up. It is possible, if she closes her curtains every night at the same time, that there is an extra hour of sunlight during the time her curtains are closed.

Michael

Fri, 23 Jul 2010 01:15:52 UTC | #491814

The Adversary's Avatar Comment 20 by The Adversary

Is there an autotune version yet?

Fri, 23 Jul 2010 01:17:00 UTC | #491815

blindscience's Avatar Comment 21 by blindscience

Follow the thread posted here on a KOMO News viewer submitted photo.. more 'rainbows are poison' people out there than we would care to think about: http://www.komonews.com/younews/97282094.html

Fri, 23 Jul 2010 01:39:56 UTC | #491823

bluebird's Avatar Comment 22 by bluebird

wtf!?! Cacophony of Non Science

Updated: Fri, 23 Jul 2010 01:44:53 UTC | #491825

DreadFallen's Avatar Comment 23 by DreadFallen

Lol, anyone else notice this lady sounds almost exactly like Michele Bachmann?

Fri, 23 Jul 2010 02:00:03 UTC | #491826

Chispita's Avatar Comment 24 by Chispita

Everyone needs to laugh a little. This one did it for me. Can't help but feel sorry for her ignorance but it's still funny.

Fri, 23 Jul 2010 02:44:11 UTC | #491837

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 25 by InYourFaceNewYorker

To add insult to injury, she has a redneck accent.

Fri, 23 Jul 2010 03:03:07 UTC | #491841

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 26 by Crazycharlie

This is on RDnet because it shows what the long-term survival of Humanity is up against....

Millions of superstitious, credulous, ignoramuses out there.

Listening to this woman's comments you can understand the mind that dreams up conspiracy theories like government cover-ups of U.F.O.s and J.F.K.s assassination. It's the same mind that glibly dismisses Evolution as, "Just a theory". That votes for politicians who want to stop stem-cell research, end pro-choice, and dream of the coming apocalypse in "The Holy Land".

My first thought was, is this a joke? Then I thought to myself, if it's real, this woman is an adult. How many times in her life, from childhood till now, has she witnessed a rainbow after a rainstorm? Fifty times? A hundred? Then she sees the same effect with a lawn-sprinkler and worries about," metallic oxide salts" oozing from the ground!

Fucking incredible.

I hope it's a joke.

Fri, 23 Jul 2010 03:34:38 UTC | #491847

egor's Avatar Comment 27 by egor

LOL I guess if she always closed her curtains a 6pm daylight saving would fade them more, never thought of that! However, she actually believed that the sun was up for and hour longer. She also believed that if you lived in Tasmania you where closer to the sun.

Comment 19 by mmurray :

Comment 15 by egor :

Michael

Fri, 23 Jul 2010 04:24:13 UTC | #491853

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 28 by Richard Dawkins

I am surprised that some people think it doesn't belong on this site. The mission of RDFRS is to promote 'Reason' and Science' and this YouTube film (if it is genuine, which I think it is because not funny enough to be a spoof) is a classic example of what an uphill struggle we face, in both departments.

Lamentable as this woman's ignorance is, ignorance is no crime but something to be remedied. What gets me is the way her first recourse on seeing the rainbow in her sprinkler was NOT to investigate, NOT to ask questions, NOT to look up 'rainbow' in Wikipedia, or Google, or a book (I could recommend one to her). No, her first recourse was to post her nonsense on YouTube: instant prejudice, instantly broadcast to the world, rather than instant wonder and curiosity or an impulse to ask questions or investigate.

Richard

Fri, 23 Jul 2010 06:52:50 UTC | #491881

hfaber's Avatar Comment 29 by hfaber

Comment Removed by Author

Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:10:04 UTC | #491902

Anaximander's Avatar Comment 30 by Anaximander

RD: What gets me is the way her first recourse on seeing the rainbow in her sprinkler was NOT to investigate, NOT to ask questions,

Why would "not doing something" be a surprise? It's "doing something" that needs an explanation. (Physical and evolutionary.)

Fri, 23 Jul 2010 08:27:49 UTC | #491911