← Pacific under tsunami threat after massive 8.8 quake strikes Chile

Pacific under tsunami threat after massive 8.8 quake strikes Chile - Comments

Mitch Kahle's Avatar Comment 1 by Mitch Kahle

Surf's Up!

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:17:00 UTC | #444601

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 2 by mordacious1

I posted the following on the thread about the Idaho missionary but now that this is up, I'll repeat it:

Quick! Someone find this woman. There has been an 8.8 magnitude EQ in Chile and there must be some children wandering around that she can scoop up.

Also, alert the scientologists to grab their yellow T-shirts and massage beds.

Ps. I am concerned about the people there of course, but was greatly relieved to hear that the Tsunami has passed the Galapagos Islands with little damage. Does that make me a bad person?

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:19:00 UTC | #444604

nikkolazo's Avatar Comment 3 by nikkolazo

we are fine, the tsunami alert is stan by for now =) ..

the earthquake was very strong indeed.

May be later i'll post some news :D

greetings.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:22:00 UTC | #444605

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 4 by mordacious1

Chile, according to Faux News, had the largest measured EQ on record at 9.5 in 1960. Does this mean they made a pact with the devil? Or is there a famous gay person that lives there? I'll have to tune in to the 700 Club to find out.

Of course, it could have something to do with their geographical location...

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:25:00 UTC | #444608

guerad's Avatar Comment 5 by guerad

what is Pat Robertson going to say this time

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:25:00 UTC | #444609

b-612's Avatar Comment 7 by b-612

@mordacious1,

that makes you a person screaming for attention and approval by others. do you want to hear you're a funny guy?

thank you for repeating your awesome joke, glad I didn't miss that one!

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:28:00 UTC | #444611

moniz's Avatar Comment 6 by moniz

"Pacific under tsunami threat after massive 8.8 quake strikes Chile"

Cue the "end of world" religious crazies!

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 17:28:00 UTC | #444610

holop's Avatar Comment 8 by holop

God's Wrath, again.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:09:00 UTC | #444618

jcob82's Avatar Comment 9 by jcob82

Chile must have a huge gay population to get an 8.8 earthquake. No need to do any statistics though the natural disaster explains it all as why else would there be an earthquake.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:17:00 UTC | #444621

MattHunX's Avatar Comment 10 by MattHunX

I'm curious to see what excuse the pope&friends and Pat Robertson will find for this disaster given that 70% of the populace is Roman Catholic, 15% are Evangelicals and the rest is whatever...so why did god punish them?

They'll probably say "god moves in mysterious ways". They'll say no one can know god's motives, yet they have no problem saying that some previous disasters happened because god wanted to punish gays and such.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:25:00 UTC | #444623

Philster61's Avatar Comment 11 by Philster61

Interesting to note that Chile is catholic. I wonder if the Vatican will help or just pray for them.Actually in certain way, earthquakes must surely be responsible for helping to convert believers to non believers.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:41:00 UTC | #444627

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 12 by Cook@Tahiti

11. Comment #464487 by Philster61

>earthquakes must surely be responsible for helping to convert believers to non believers.

Yes, the big Lisbon earthquake of 1755, which struck when everyone was in church, was often cited by Enlightenment thinkers like Voltaire as evidence that there can't be an interventionist God.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 18:58:00 UTC | #444634

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 13 by Enlightenme..

As soon as I heard mention of the nearest town - Concepción, I was reminded of the Beagle voyage.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 19:07:00 UTC | #444638

bluebird's Avatar Comment 14 by bluebird

Ah, didn't know Michelle Bachelet will be out of office in a few weeks.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 19:34:00 UTC | #444647

Rich Wiltshir's Avatar Comment 15 by Rich Wiltshir

How long before some religoon announces it's the result of sinful lives£

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 19:43:00 UTC | #444651

Donald's Avatar Comment 16 by Donald

I had a look to see if Doctors Without Borders (Médecins sans Frontières) or the International Red Cross were asking for disaster-relief funds for the Chilean earthquake. Not so far.

That implies the eathquake effect is not as bad as Haiti. That's good of course, but it put me in mind of the Haiti disaster and the Non-Believers Giving Aid set up by the RDFRS. I had wished to donate through NBGA but decided instead to make direct donation to MSF because it increased the value of my donation compared to giving through NBGA.

On January 17, I received a reply from Elisabeth Cornwell to my email about UK tax issues affecting the NBGA (I am sure I wasn't the only UK person raising this issue, but she was kind enough to respond to me individually).

She said the RDFRS would try to set up a page so that UK donations could have the tax reclaim handled electronically (and therefore cost-effectively). I was pleased to receive this reply, and I note that the NBGA page now has a section asking UK donors to send cheques rather than PayPal donations so that the tax reclaim can be made.

However, it is now over a month later, and the NBGA pages still do not provide for electronic tax efficient UK donations.

Yet there is a time-consuming fiasco over the RDF forum, including vapourware claims of a new and better forum to come, whilst the existing forum is locked, and respectable people are deeply upset over the announced deletion of the entire existing forum data. (I have decided not to make further donations to RDFRS as a result of this fiasco, although I would be willing make future donations via NBGA.)

I can't help wondering - is there a misjudgment of priorities within RDFRS?

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 20:44:00 UTC | #444666

alisong76's Avatar Comment 17 by alisong76

Well, that was silly of God, wasn't it? All the gays and lesbians were having their big party in Sydney last night and he went and spanked Chile instead! Old guy must be losing his edge. Wonder how Pat Robertson will explain this one?

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 21:25:00 UTC | #444673

BigJohn's Avatar Comment 18 by BigJohn

"...to air on the side of caution..." ROTFLMAO!!

AIR?? OMG!

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 21:28:00 UTC | #444674

cristinabories's Avatar Comment 19 by cristinabories

How is Pat Robertson going to explain this one?
Easy. The current Chilean president is a publicly declared agnostic. There you have it.
Would have been better if G had stricken at the beginning of her government and not in her last weeks... but the connection is clear.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 22:01:00 UTC | #444687

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 20 by TIKI AL

Faux News is reporting that at the exact time the earthquake hit, the Chilean film industry was filming "Broke Wetback Mountain" outside of Concepcion.

Coincidence? They report, they decide.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 22:08:00 UTC | #444689

prolibertas's Avatar Comment 21 by prolibertas

The earthquake has put the entire Pacific on tsunami alert. Waves are supposed to be hitting us here on the New Zealand coast right now as I type. So if this is the end for me, it's been nice knowing you all!

P.S- You'll be pleased to know that I haven't felt the slightest urge to fall to my knees and pray like an idiot.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 22:16:00 UTC | #444691

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 22 by Cook@Tahiti

13. Comment #464498 by Enlightenme.

>Concepción, I was reminded of the Beagle voyage

Perhaps God is destroying every place Darwin visited.

Sat, 27 Feb 2010 22:49:00 UTC | #444698

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 23 by robotaholic

Mr. Robertson, plate tectonics really does explain this the best!

Sun, 28 Feb 2010 00:14:00 UTC | #444710

root2squared's Avatar Comment 24 by root2squared

Place your bets on what the first faith based reasons to come out will be.

1) The wrong kind of people having the wrong kind of sex.
2) The right kind of people having the wrong kind of sex.
3) The right kind of people having the right kind of sex, but using the devil's plastic.
4) Tiger Woods

Now you know what they mean when they say "the earth moved" or "you rocked my world". And now you know why god gives women headaches. To prevent earthquakes.

Sun, 28 Feb 2010 00:43:00 UTC | #444717

Shuggy's Avatar Comment 25 by Shuggy

9. Comment #464481 by jcob82 on February 27, 2010 at 6:17 pm

Even huger if God's wrath is logarithmic, like the Richter scale.

10. Comment #464483 by MattHunX on February 27, 2010 at 6:25 pm
Especially since one of the cities nearest the epicentre is Concepción.

Sun, 28 Feb 2010 01:45:00 UTC | #444733

MAJORPAIN's Avatar Comment 26 by MAJORPAIN

I heard a couple of people at the restaurant I was in today say that we are approaching end times. All these earthquakes...it is a signal jesus is on his way...

Just warning all yall to have that pet insurance in case of the rapture paid up.

Sun, 28 Feb 2010 01:48:00 UTC | #444735

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 27 by aquilacane

This obviously happened because of atheists being in the White House

Sun, 28 Feb 2010 03:29:00 UTC | #444745

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 28 by Alternative Carpark

It is going to hit Osaka at 16:00.

Luckily for me it will only be about 50cm - other parts of Japan may be greeted by waves of up to 3m...

Sun, 28 Feb 2010 05:04:00 UTC | #444751

Sciros's Avatar Comment 29 by Sciros

Man these "tsunami" are really dangerous!!
(Somehow, Alternative Carpark, I think Japan will come out of this one OK.)

Sun, 28 Feb 2010 05:40:00 UTC | #444754

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 30 by Carl Sai Baba

That's a whole Pacific Ocean away, so tiny ripples in Japan are no reason to discount the possibility of real damage elsewhere.

Sun, 28 Feb 2010 09:35:00 UTC | #444771