← [UPDATED VIDEO] Richard Dawkins at Protest the Pope Rally in London Sept 2010

[UPDATED VIDEO] Richard Dawkins at Protest the Pope Rally in London Sept 2010 - Comments

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 1 by Cartomancer

Spot on Richard, brilliant speech. Well done.

Though, really, it's a gift of a subject for a public speaker. One does not need Richard's Ciceronian eloquence to get the message across. The rhetoric writes itself.

Does anyone know if someone else managed to get the other speeches on record?

Updated: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:14:13 UTC | #520901

DerekMorr's Avatar Comment 2 by DerekMorr

There is a brief clip of Peter Tachell at http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-11355258. I do hope someone recorded all of the speeches.

Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:17:15 UTC | #520905

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 3 by Steve Zara

What a clever use of the doctrine of original sin!

Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:18:41 UTC | #520908

DanielK's Avatar Comment 4 by DanielK

Great speech and good point about boosting the catholic statistics with everyone baptized. One has to keep reminding them of the strong connection between the catholic church and the Nazis. Even after the war they kept smuggling Nazis to South America.

Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:24:17 UTC | #520913

Blaine McCartney's Avatar Comment 5 by Blaine McCartney

A truly excellent speech, and we can only hope that the BBC becomes more bipartisan over time. The amount of brown-nosing they've done over the last few days with regard to the pope has been nauseating. Let's see, however, just how willing they are to represent the other side of the coin. They are afterall, a media corporation, and they're only going to make to money at the expense of moral principle to appease the "majority" as they would have us believe (Catholics). Time to stop walking on eggshells, stand by moral principle, have the true opinion represented.

Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:24:49 UTC | #520915

the archangel's Avatar Comment 6 by the archangel

OMG that's me with the stupid white horses head flopped on my head in front of the camera. Anyway.

I thought it went well and am very happy to see so many people showing solidarity for victims and to show outrage towards the actions of this organisations. I thought Geoffrey Robertson's was excellent would like to see it on here.

Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:28:48 UTC | #520920

The Plc's Avatar Comment 7 by The Plc

Wonderful! Every word, apart from the hateful Catholic drivel quoted from Adolf Hitler's evil mouth, rang true.

Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:32:26 UTC | #520923

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 8 by Richard Dawkins

Comment 3 by Steve Zara :

What a clever use of the doctrine of original sin!

Thank you, Steve, but I always like to acknowledge my sources. That idea came straight from Paula Kirby

Richard

Updated: Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:40:48 UTC | #520930

dazzjazz's Avatar Comment 9 by dazzjazz

What a great "slap upside the head" as the yanks say! Thank you Richard for articulating what many of us cannot.

Darren

Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:41:46 UTC | #520932

PrimeNumbers's Avatar Comment 10 by PrimeNumbers

Well said Richard. And keep saying it. I've just finished Geoffrey Robertson's book and it's an excellent reminder of why we complain about Ratzinger and his church.

Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:44:35 UTC | #520934

reliableNference's Avatar Comment 11 by reliableNference

Stalin didn't believe in Lepre-corns, hehe, I think we have a new meme.

Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:47:19 UTC | #520938

Sally Luxmoore's Avatar Comment 12 by Sally Luxmoore

Wonderful to see this again. I was there, right up close and what the recording does not catch are the roars of approval extending the full length of Whitehall in both directions and echoing off the buildings alongside. It was a great atmosphere and cathartic to hear such wonderful speeches. Geoffrey Robertson's speech was also most impressive and also received similar responses from the crowd.

Disappointing coverage from the BBC, though. I couldn't believe that the 'rolling' news station, BBC News 24, effectively gave up reporting the news and instead just had a live feed from the vigil. What a cop-out.

Sat, 18 Sep 2010 23:52:12 UTC | #520941

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 13 by InYourFaceNewYorker

RICHARD DAWKINS: COMBATING HUMAN STUPIDITY ONE BONEHEAD AT A TIME!

Who's the woman doing the sign language interpreting to his right?

God, it keeps bringing me back to when this girl defriended me on Facebook, saying:

"Wanting to slap the Pope isn't something I take lightly. It's also not something I think is funny. I wish you the best in all things, but I think I have to be more honest about who I want to be my friends, and who I want to have access to my site. Anyway-- good luck."

I guess the Pope is infallible! :P

Julie

Updated: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:00:42 UTC | #520942

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 14 by Tyler Durden

Ratzinger is an enemy of women, barring them from the priesthood as though a penis were an essential tool for pastoral duties.

Essential if such pastoral duties were more concerned with the raping of young children.

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:05:39 UTC | #520947

helena!'s Avatar Comment 15 by helena!

Richard thank you for speaking up and out against this insane mafia pope and for the victims of abuse. You are an awesome defender of reason and reality! I really wish I could have been there but just as glad to see this video. You are a superb example of a human being!

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:08:15 UTC | #520948

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 16 by InYourFaceNewYorker

"He is an enemy of women, barring them from the priesthood, as though a penis were an essential tool for performing pastoral duties."

Do I dare make a joke about the hidden meaning in this? Or is that in too poor taste?

Julie

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:09:50 UTC | #520950

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 17 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Looks like you beat me to it.

Comment 14 by Tyler Durden :

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:10:20 UTC | #520951

NewEnglandBob's Avatar Comment 18 by NewEnglandBob

Beautiful speech, Richard.

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:13:57 UTC | #520955

Tiende Landeplage's Avatar Comment 19 by Tiende Landeplage

I'll just repeat my comment from another thread:

Bravo, professor Dawkins, for a perfectly worded and delivered speech.

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:16:50 UTC | #520957

kaiserkriss's Avatar Comment 20 by kaiserkriss

Sock it to "em Richard! Well Done! Ratzinger is a has been and more and more people are waking up to that fact. May he have a long and prosperous life. His ideas and views will contribute significantly to the downfall of the RCC. jcw

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:19:26 UTC | #520960

Aflacduck's Avatar Comment 21 by Aflacduck

Excellent speech. The RCC has to be regretting this trip by now. If they aren't, they will be when it's all over.

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:22:38 UTC | #520962

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 22 by huzonfurst

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT AND INSPIRING!!!

This could just be the moment which history will remember as the point of no return for catholicism; listening to this was like being there with Lincoln at Gettysburg or Churchill at his "finest hour."

Let's continue the momentum and never let the enemy rest ever again - onward rationalist soldiers, for peace, reason and freedom from religion!

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:32:11 UTC | #520965

lackofgravitas's Avatar Comment 23 by lackofgravitas

;) A great day was had my most.

Just listening to Richard's speech reminded me of Paula's post, so thanks to you Paula.

Hopefully, this will be the last visit by a pope to the UK. Maybe we can make some of our own take early retirement.

LoG

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:34:40 UTC | #520966

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 24 by Steve Zara

Comment 8 by Richard Dawkins

Well, my compliments to Paula for that part!

I admit to feeling very moved when I heard you talk about the damage that Catholic belief does to every child. I was raised a Catholic in a relaxed and liberal family, but the feelings of religious guilt and fear never really disappear because they were such a strong part of childhood. I don't think one ever recovers from being a Catholic.

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:57:15 UTC | #520971

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 25 by Neodarwinian

Next time his " poopery " wants to visit a civilized and secular country he will, hopefully, think twice before shooting his mouth off about secular " sin. "

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 00:57:34 UTC | #520972

Zelig's Avatar Comment 26 by Zelig

Excellent speech. My sincere respect for RD and others for actively getting involved and speaking out on matters of importance. If only more educators, moralists, and public intellectuals did the same we would be a far healthier culture. Far too many offer nothing but hollow, crowd-pleasing platitudes, carefully designed to give "offense" to only the most impotent reactionary forces.

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 01:13:00 UTC | #520976

CLawrence's Avatar Comment 27 by CLawrence

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 01:20:40 UTC | #520977

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 28 by InYourFaceNewYorker

I watched this video twice already. I'm just continually amazed at Richard's way with words. I'd give my right arm to be able to write as well as he does!

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 01:25:28 UTC | #520978

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 29 by robotaholic

I saw it 2x too - it was awesome - It's like that first time I heard "An Atheist's Call to Arms" - truly awesome Richard! Thank you for standing up for morality!

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 01:35:10 UTC | #520983

bembol's Avatar Comment 30 by bembol

A short but hard-hitting speech. A dagger through the heart of Catholic dogma. Thank you RD!

Sun, 19 Sep 2010 01:57:12 UTC | #520986