← John Sweeney revisits Church of Scientology

John Sweeney revisits Church of Scientology - Comments

gordon's Avatar Comment 1 by gordon

To be honest, I think I would have 'lost it' whilst talking to these morons.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:14:24 UTC | #525211

Freethinker15's Avatar Comment 2 by Freethinker15

I feel for Sweeney because his entirely justified outburst has been used by people to detract others from the nastiness that is inherent in this cult.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:16:07 UTC | #525213

DamianIcely's Avatar Comment 3 by DamianIcely

I'm always amazed that Dawkins is able to keep his cool. They say he's intolerant. If it was me I'd be reaching for a hammer.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:18:31 UTC | #525214

TobySaunders's Avatar Comment 4 by TobySaunders

If he "didn't mean to shout" then... well... what was that coming out of his mouth? Was is someone else shouting? That was actually scary... I don't watch or approve of 'reality shows' (which encourage that kind of stupid behavior) so it really offended me; worse, it created the illusion (for some) that the Scientologist was more reasonable! Atheists should distance themselves from that kind of reporting; that behavior wasn't excusable... Sweeney has a serious anger problem. I would fire him over that, easily.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:20:02 UTC | #525215

DamianIcely's Avatar Comment 5 by DamianIcely

They actually had the reporters followed! Still they don't have as much power as some of those other cults. You know the ones.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:26:32 UTC | #525219

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 6 by AtheistEgbert

Part of the tactics of scientologists is to provoke, frustrate, intimidate, and so it is hardly surprising someone slightly naive about them would explode. In fact, he was justified in doing so. I'm afraid it is more a problem of the newer kind of investigative journalism where the journalists drops in and 'experiences' what they are reporting rather than taking an objective stance against it.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:27:56 UTC | #525220

TobySaunders's Avatar Comment 7 by TobySaunders

In order to disable that kind of bad behavior from Sweeney (which was actually rather abusive) I would never accept that apology... unless maybe someone was smoking meth in that church & Sweeney got second-hand high (that's happened to me at the University of West Georgia!) & thus couldn't control his actions so well.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:30:45 UTC | #525222

Steven Mading's Avatar Comment 8 by Steven Mading

Comment 7 by TobySaunders :

Shame on you for blaming the victim. My only regret in this affair is that i wish Sweeney hadn't apologised to the Church of Scientology afterward. As a reporter he needs to keep his cool, but as a human being it is right to be outraged to he point of anger at the shit he was subjected to by the Scientologists. His only failing was a professional one, NOT a moral one. His outburst was justified. But despite being justified it doesn't look good on camera. His only failing was the tactical mistake in letting the Scientologist's win the propaganda battle, not a moral one. He should in NO WAY be apologizing to the Scientlogists, nor to his viewers. Maybe, maybe an apology to his production company for making a mistake at his job was in order, but that's it. But stop blaming the victim. What you're doing here is very much the same thing as blaming Salmon Rushdie for the fatwah against him.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:44:16 UTC | #525228

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 9 by Tyler Durden

Comment 4 by TobySaunders :

Sweeney has a serious anger problem. I would fire him over that, easily.

Did you watch the entire Panaroma show from 2007 on Scientology, or just the clip of Sweeney shouting?

Anyone who loses their temper, according to you, has a "serious anger problem".

Are you qualified to make such sweeping statements based on an emotional outburst as viewed exclusively on videotape?

Do you know John Sweeney personally?

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:45:56 UTC | #525231

Steven Mading's Avatar Comment 10 by Steven Mading

Comment Removed by Author

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:46:37 UTC | #525232

TobySaunders's Avatar Comment 11 by TobySaunders

Wow... this 'new atheist' movement is real! I criticise shouting & get argued against in minutes flat. I had wondered what this 'strident new atheist' stuff was about. I suppose I'm a new-new atheist. Oh well!

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:51:31 UTC | #525234

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 12 by Tyler Durden

Comment 7 by TobySaunders :

Or he was provoked.

Have you never lost your temper due to continuous, aggrevated, deliberate provocation?

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:52:17 UTC | #525236

Dr Doctor's Avatar Comment 13 by Dr Doctor

Uh so his apology should only be accepted if someone else was smoking meth?!? If not his fault why need to apologise?

Anyhow, if you think that John Sweeney losing his temper is so bad, you must think David "Slappy" Miscavige deserves the electric chair.

Sense of proproption please.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 16:52:49 UTC | #525237

TobySaunders's Avatar Comment 14 by TobySaunders

Oooh, I like films about fighting...ooh schizophrenia is so entertaining...

Comment 12 by Tyler Durden :

Comment 7 by TobySaunders :

Or he was provoked.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:00:16 UTC | #525241

Rodger T's Avatar Comment 15 by Rodger T

LOL at the concern troll.

Would`nt be a "scientologist" by any chance?

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:02:45 UTC | #525242

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 16 by Stevehill

@TobySaunders

No. You just made a crass comment and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Clearly you're not, but that's your stuff, not mine.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:03:35 UTC | #525243

Adrian Bartholomew's Avatar Comment 17 by Adrian Bartholomew

Comment 14 by TobySaunders :

Oooh, I like films about fighting...ooh schizophrenia is so entertaining...

I wish this site had an ignore button next to people's names. I mean seriously...

On topic: I'm looking forward to this program. It will make a change from the Catholic scandal if nothing else.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:03:54 UTC | #525244

DamianIcely's Avatar Comment 18 by DamianIcely

I've just watched the clip (which I hadn't seen yet).

I'm sorry but the way he lost his temper was definately not helpful. I'm not condeming him we're all human, but having watched it I couldn't help but feel that he did his argument a lot of damage by seeming unreasonable. it gave them a lever against him and that's all they need.

Whatever he finds now they can just replay that one clip and claim that he's predjudiced.

Everyone's human but if we want to be the standard bearers of a rational mindset than we must not lose control.

Again not blaming him personally.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:06:12 UTC | #525246

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 19 by mordacious1

I've seen that clip before and I have always given him credit for not clocking Davis. I'm not a screamer when I get mad, in fact I get rather quiet...usually a sign for my wife to grab my arm and usher me away from whoever it is who's pushing my buttons. Although, knowing these guy's pension for provocation ahead of time, I would have probably laughed in this guy's face. I can provoke people too.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:11:34 UTC | #525248

John_Geeshu's Avatar Comment 20 by John_Geeshu

There's no excuse for that kind of behavior, particularly in a professional setting. I think the apology is appropriate, but if you've never exploded like that, you've never had your buttons pushed by someone else. When Sweeney realized he was ready to explode, he should have excused himself.

Non-reporters relentlessly criticize reporters without ever having been inside their shoes. Reporters are one of the few professionals who have no real theoretical or practical training in anything, and then are expected to master anything and everything at the drop of a hat. Try to imagine how Sweeney had to have felt, bombarded by the demonstrably absurd and false mantra: psychiatrists perpetuated eugenics in Nazi Germany, then his professionalism is viciously and inappropriately attacked, and all the while he is expected to remain an impartial observer and report only the facts. It's a job only a superhuman could do without error.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:15:47 UTC | #525249

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 21 by Stafford Gordon

I am being hyper critical, but as with Nick Griffin on Question Time, the other panelists were talking over him, instead of giving him sufficient rope to hang himself. They helped him to claim he was unfairly treated.

Sometimes, saying nothing can be very effective indeed.

I think an experienced journalist like John Sweeney should be more disciplined.

He lost not only "it" but the argument; again.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:15:51 UTC | #525250

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 22 by Stevehill

He lost not only "it" but the argument; again.

Fortunately for humanity, there are millions more of us ready and willing to argue that Scientolology is a scam designed solely to enrich its founders at the expense of the terminally hard-of-thinking.

And we will continue to do so.

Sweeney's journalistic credentials are a side issue.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:45:11 UTC | #525259

Matt B's Avatar Comment 23 by Matt B

Now an independent Scientologist, Mike is critical of the church and of its leader David Miscavige, who was actor Tom Cruise's best man at his wedding to Katie Holmes.

He is critical of the "church," so he breaks off ... but continues the absurd "beliefs?" Well, at the very least, this is an interesting case study of a schism within a church. Perhaps studying this will shed more light on the 30,000+ versions of christianity.

When I interviewed Alley in 2007 and put the question to her that many believe Scientology to be a sinister brain-washing cult, she replied: "Would you ever sit with a Jew and tell them that their religion is a cult?"

Some people are of the mind that the difference between a church and a cult is simply the number of active followers.

Regardless, Judaism most likely developed organically as a result of human emotions and uncertainties, in an age when knowledge of the world was limited. Scientology was invented by a science fiction writer less than a century ago, and has well documented "therapies" frequently pushed on its followers. I find it illuminating that Kirsty Ally didn't just say "no."

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:48:26 UTC | #525261

chawinwords's Avatar Comment 24 by chawinwords

Is church "disconnection" much like "apostate" in some Muslim countries, but without the head-removing sword/knife?

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 17:53:44 UTC | #525263

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 25 by Stevehill

In breaking news, Lisa-Marie Presley, daughter of Elvis, ex-wife of Whacko Jacko and Nicholas Cage, moves to UK to shower more millions upon the freak show.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 18:24:16 UTC | #525277

DamianIcely's Avatar Comment 26 by DamianIcely

Thank god (oops)... uuummm. Let's be thankful that we have Stephen Fry's celebrity endorsement and not any of those wack jobs.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 18:45:16 UTC | #525283

prettygoodformonkeys's Avatar Comment 27 by prettygoodformonkeys

@ TobySaunders: I have a friend who, joking about his own mental problems, says:

"I'm schizophrenic, and so am I."

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 18:47:47 UTC | #525284

RMIV's Avatar Comment 28 by RMIV

After reading this story, Scientology doesn't seem like a cult at all.

He began by telling me about the moment when he decided to get out: "I knew as I was walking out - that was the last time I would ever talk to my wife, my children, the rest of my family. I couldn't take it anymore. When I left I felt I had been freed." Mike was subjected to what the church calls disconnection. His wife, daughter, son, brother and mother have cut him out of their lives.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:26:38 UTC | #525313

Seddge's Avatar Comment 29 by Seddge

Are we being brain washed to believe that those talented beautiful people who make those wonderful hollywood movies for us all are incorrect about the spiritual aspects of life?

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:29:23 UTC | #525316

katt33's Avatar Comment 30 by katt33

When I had volunteered with VOAD, they had the Scientology church on board and we were sent, a group of us to train in a certain healing method with the church.

Before even finishing the course I get escorted to the office and this woman with crazy looking eyes asks me to consider becoming a member. I said no, but they kept calling me, calling me sometimes three times in one day and finally I lost my temper got really loud and told them to back off. I had tried the nice way and they just didn't get it.

Sometimes you get pushed.

Sun, 26 Sep 2010 19:35:46 UTC | #525320