← Christopher Hitchens Compilation

Christopher Hitchens Compilation - Comments

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 1 by -TheCodeCrack-

Long live The Hitch!

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 05:28:16 UTC | #529713

Enlightenme..'s Avatar Comment 2 by Enlightenme..

The Rabbi's Nobel Prize/Circumcision correlation joke was kinda funny in it's own sick way, but Christopher's retort was devastating, you could see his opponent almost rendered speechless.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 05:44:26 UTC | #529717

Bala's Avatar Comment 3 by Bala

Thanks for resisting the temptation to add music.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 06:13:55 UTC | #529724

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 4 by helen sotiriadis

i've been fascinated by hitchens' videos over the last few years. this is a great compilation!

whether one agrees with him or not is irrelevant -- though, as it happens, on matters of religion, i most certainly do. this is a rich mind that examines issues from every angle. almost each sentence uttered conveys complexity... and even when reconsidering his position, he remains consistent and true to the principles he has chosen.

one loose quote from 'hitch 22': 'when circumstances change, i change my mind.... and you?' [forgive me if the quote does the original injustice -- i listened to the audiobook].

what a powerful thinker / writer / speaker. ... and i suspect the best is yet to come.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 06:28:42 UTC | #529726

Austin K's Avatar Comment 5 by Austin K

Nothing like a good ol' Hitchslapping montage!

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 06:37:48 UTC | #529731

DefenderOfReason!'s Avatar Comment 6 by DefenderOfReason!

That was some great stuff! I have so much respect for Mr. Hitchens.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 06:39:06 UTC | #529732

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 7 by TheRationalizer

Hitchslap, I LOVE it! :)

When I moved from theism to deism the logical part of my brain said that everything Richard Dawkins said in The God Delusion made sense and I should let go of it but for some reason my heart said "but it's true".

Christopher Hitchens gave me the final blow. He said something like "It's horrible, it's not true....and why would you want it to be?" I then realised that I simply wanted god to be true, realising this enabled me to let go of that feeling and become an atheist.

I owe a lot to Richard Dawkins, Christopher Hitchens, and Islam :)

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 09:05:00 UTC | #529761

sunbeamforjeebus's Avatar Comment 8 by sunbeamforjeebus

I have just finished reading Hitch22 which is a great book and shows the man in all his moods and showcases his considerable talents.I was at the IntelligenceSquared debate when he damanded the apology from the Archbishop of Abuja and his speech was a devastating attack which was wonderful to witness.His comments always cut down to the bone,long may he be around to thrill us with his intellect.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 09:11:40 UTC | #529763

Rosbif's Avatar Comment 9 by Rosbif

Ah, the Hitch:

So quick, so cutting, so devastating, so enlightening, so right ... The man with an answer for everything, and I learn something from every answer.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 09:14:30 UTC | #529766

The Plc's Avatar Comment 10 by The Plc

If only I had half the bravery to speak my true feelings on religion whenever it comes up. Religion really should be regarded with hatred, ridicule and contempt, somehow manages to express this without appearing a bitter and obsessed hysteric to athiestbutheads and apologists for religion.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 10:10:06 UTC | #529788

ev-love's Avatar Comment 11 by ev-love

Christopher Hitchens debates in exactly the same way as I do - in my dreams.

ev-love

He takes no prisoners.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 11:06:21 UTC | #529814

ghost of numf-el's Avatar Comment 15 by ghost of numf-el

Fucking A, H.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 11:36:57 UTC | #529825

legal9ball's Avatar Comment 16 by legal9ball

I would also add this Hitchslap delivered to Berlinski after Berlinski, like the pope, blamed atheism for the Nazis

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 12:09:41 UTC | #529833

RichardNevin's Avatar Comment 17 by RichardNevin

Great compilation; truly exhilarating. Where can I watch the full length videos?

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 12:19:27 UTC | #529835

legal9ball's Avatar Comment 18 by legal9ball

And also, at 4:15 in this clip:

"For you to say of Nazism that it was the implementation of the work of Charles Dawin is a filthy slander, undeserving of you, and an insult to this audience."

Hitchslap.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 12:19:33 UTC | #529836

Harps's Avatar Comment 19 by Harps

15 mins?! This could so easily be an hour long!

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 12:19:51 UTC | #529837

Rob Schneider's Avatar Comment 20 by Rob Schneider

This

is my personal favorite series of YouTube videos of Hitchens. They are a speech he gave in a debate over a Canadian hate-speech law. It is the most impassioned defense of Free Speech I have ever seen, and (I hope) will stand as a model for the defense of this innate right.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 13:53:48 UTC | #529871

aliensmack's Avatar Comment 21 by aliensmack

That was so powerful . I love that he is so unbelievably sharp and quick that he jumps from point to point without a break long enough for anyone to say anything , I love watching them squirm

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 14:00:23 UTC | #529873

Philoctetes                                        's Avatar Comment 22 by Philoctetes

He articulates the thoughts I can only mangel. His retrieval system of facts is fast, appropriate and devestating. Woody Allen has a persona constantly coming up with "When he said that I should have come up with......" Hitch never seems to face that dilemma, he always has the right phrase at the right moment.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 14:07:35 UTC | #529875

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 23 by AtheistEgbert

Christopher Hitchens is simply the greatest intellect of our time.

He may not be a genius scientist or mathematician, but he is a genius and imaginative public speaker with a wealth of knowledge and experience at his hand. We are extremely lucky as a species to have him on our side.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 14:26:39 UTC | #529886

The Wolf's Avatar Comment 24 by The Wolf

''which I wont put up with... up with which, I will not put. Is that clear?''

this made me laugh!

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 14:33:23 UTC | #529891

SoHelpMeReason's Avatar Comment 25 by SoHelpMeReason

He makes me so happy. I suffer from nagging indoctrination. I'm logically sound, and logically don't believe in god--there hasn't been a word that slipped out of Hitchens' mouth that I didn't agree with yet--and yet... I even choose not to capitalize god's name or pronouns referring to him in protest. But emotionally, I'm bothered by the residue of Zombie Jew Theory. I wish the damn previous generation wasn't so stupid, and didn't set the nuts and bolts of my head screwy, so that now I feel like you do when you plop out of the pool and just can't seem to knock those few drops out of your ears.

I live in America. The crowd ain't helpin'.

Enough said.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 14:43:28 UTC | #529896

The Plc's Avatar Comment 26 by The Plc

Christopher Hitchens is simply the greatest intellect of our time.

I'm afraid Noam Chomsky is the intellect, political polemicist, debater and public speaker Hitchens wishes he was. And Chomsky actually is a genius scientist and first rate rationalist philosopher as well.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 17:26:04 UTC | #529944

passutoba's Avatar Comment 27 by passutoba

that was fantastic..made my night, many thanks to the man himself and the compiler, and while I think Chomsky's intellect is also awesome, he certainly lacks the charisma, ability to put down and baritone beauty of the hitch!

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 18:15:19 UTC | #529962

jayalenik's Avatar Comment 28 by jayalenik

Compared to hitchens, in whom sarcasm resides, chomsky is a hack

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 18:56:56 UTC | #529976

quincyme's Avatar Comment 29 by quincyme

Staggering in it's ability to realise a clarity of thought that opposes irrational behaviour and dogma in all faiths.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 19:43:22 UTC | #529994

kantastisk's Avatar Comment 30 by kantastisk

He made me laugh so many times through this.

Wed, 06 Oct 2010 20:59:49 UTC | #530022