← Nature by Numbers

Nature by Numbers - Comments

bluebird's Avatar Comment 1 by bluebird

*sing song voice* - Love this!

Thanks for posting :)

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 13:42:00 UTC | #455810

van.isle.atheist's Avatar Comment 2 by van.isle.atheist

Gorgeous! This could go on for hours and I would love every minute of it. This is exactly what the religious think that we are missing out on; beauty, wonder, awe, depth. All right there in natural form.

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 14:10:00 UTC | #455815

Olucatei's Avatar Comment 3 by Olucatei

I hate degree measure, which doesn't have mathematical basis, and complicates many problems, but I suppose fewer people recognize radian measure given how math is taught, at least in America.

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 17:12:00 UTC | #455860

friendlypig's Avatar Comment 4 by friendlypig

Very intelligently designed ;o) ?

I've watched this 3 times, on WEIT, Pharyngula and now here and I notice more each time.

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 17:23:00 UTC | #455863

gumby gumby's Avatar Comment 5 by gumby gumby

Mathematic is perfect,
God is perfect
Mathematic is God!

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 17:29:00 UTC | #455865

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 6 by Crazycharlie

Beauty!

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 17:32:00 UTC | #455867

prolibertas's Avatar Comment 7 by prolibertas

Awesome.

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 20:20:00 UTC | #455887

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 8 by Carl Sai Baba

Olucatei on April 4, 2010 at 6:12 pm

You are probably well above my level, but I have to note that, even though radians may be better for complex math (and have such a direct relationship to the circle), the rest of us rather enjoy having an angle measuring system which can so often be divided by both 2 and 3, with either no dangling remainder or a very simple one. I also used to think the 12-inch "foot" was dumb, but 12 is a very handy number because it is OK with being cut into thirds, halves, or quarters. 8 sucks, but at least it is OK with being quartered. 10 kind of gets by with a 2.5 quarter, but neither 8 nor 10 can handle thirds without bitching a little.

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 21:23:00 UTC | #455901

hiraethog's Avatar Comment 9 by hiraethog

For those interested in solving complex maths problems, including fibonacci, take a look at project euler.

Sun, 04 Apr 2010 21:45:00 UTC | #455904

sara g's Avatar Comment 10 by sara g

I only understood some of that, but enough to pity anyone who thinks that math or science lack wonder.

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 01:38:00 UTC | #455949

Saerain's Avatar Comment 11 by Saerain

I'm a dyscalculic obsessed with mathematics, and it is at times like this that I truly despair of it. Having been a philosophy major at 13 does not make up for it.

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 05:53:00 UTC | #455979

sirmailbox's Avatar Comment 12 by sirmailbox

Meh. The video is beautifully designed, but the examples it picks are pretty mundane. Not what I would have made.

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 13:46:00 UTC | #456072

LucasCurcino's Avatar Comment 13 by LucasCurcino

this video reflects the perfection of nature and not from the standpoint of the existence of a creator (intelligent design) but showing the shapes and symmetric structures of lower energy, basic principles for the evolution and development of life.

Mon, 05 Apr 2010 22:36:00 UTC | #456257

Shigawire's Avatar Comment 14 by Shigawire

What a beautiful video! Masterpiece...

It's clear that the universal mathematics involved here must somehow be coded in the DNA. I hope we will one day understand the relationship between DNA and the mathematical development of tissue based on that DNA.

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 06:16:00 UTC | #456608

weavehole's Avatar Comment 15 by weavehole

The maker of the video gives an explanation of the maths involved here:

He also includes a link to why you shouldn't believe everything you read. :)

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 07:41:00 UTC | #456631

metalrockchick's Avatar Comment 16 by metalrockchick

How lovely. Would be a great way to get kids more interested in the 'real life' behind mathematics don't you think? If they had showed me this at School I think I may have been more interested in the subject!

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 08:45:00 UTC | #456641

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 17 by Agrajag

Fascinating video.
Since the value of pi comes up on this site once in a while, I thought this limerick by Harvey L. Carter, Professor of History at Colorado College, might be appropriate:

'Tis a favorite project of mine
A new value of pi to assign.
I would fix it at 3
For it's simpler, you see,
Than 3 point 1 4 1 5 9.

Steve

Wed, 07 Apr 2010 13:01:00 UTC | #456701

ashleydavis75's Avatar Comment 18 by ashleydavis75

The video appears to have disappeared from the web site. Anyone know what happened to it?

Ash