← Mr. Deity and the Quitter

Mr. Deity and the Quitter - Comments

dhudson0001's Avatar Comment 1 by dhudson0001

"Alright, so you can memorize a character breakdown..."

LOL

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 02:28:00 UTC | #458701

Greyman's Avatar Comment 2 by Greyman

LOLs all round, with added Easter eggs even.

1:35 "Are they technically even sinners now you've gone with P.Z.'s organic model."

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 02:40:00 UTC | #458704

Machinus's Avatar Comment 3 by Machinus

last line was hilarious

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 02:58:00 UTC | #458706

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 4 by Alternative Carpark

Is this worth 7 minutes and 21 seconds of my life? Previous episodes have been less than stellar.

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 02:59:00 UTC | #458707

weavehole's Avatar Comment 5 by weavehole

It's good to see that George Lucas has a sense of humour about his prequels.

I wonder if the mental processes and cognitive dissonance that I call upon when watching Star Wars* are closely related to what religious types use every time they try and make sense of their holy books.

*Except for one time watching the remastered ROTJ in the cinema where every other line seemed to become a double entendre.

Darth Vader: I have *felt* him, my master.
The Emperor: Strange that I have not.

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 03:24:00 UTC | #458712

Styrer-'s Avatar Comment 6 by Styrer-

My contributional gene would be far better activated by the vision of Brian/Deity sitting in Hunts Point of New York than by seeing him sitting in a beautiful garden made up for him simply by ample sums of cash being thrown at the guy through his celebrity.

No money from me, you mountebank narcissist. You are, by the way, Dalton, only incidentally funny.

Sean Tyrer

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 03:28:00 UTC | #458713

supernorbert's Avatar Comment 7 by supernorbert

This video is not available in your country. (Germany)

What the hell is that?

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 03:30:00 UTC | #458715

Neil Schipper's Avatar Comment 8 by Neil Schipper

My non-comment: I won't be clicking 'play' this time.

Does the richarddawkins.net team seriously think that fatuous self-satisfied humor necessarily serves clear-thinking?

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 05:50:00 UTC | #458734

SteveN's Avatar Comment 9 by SteveN

Comment #479363 by Neil Schipper

Actually, in this case, yes. Ridicule is, in my opinion, one of the great weapons against the ridiculous. Whether or not 'Mr Deity' is humorous is, of course, a matter of opinion. I personally eagerly await each new episode and am somewhat concerned that, as noted earlier, this one cannot be accessed from Germany. Maybe it is too self-satisfied and fatuous for German tastes.

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 07:04:00 UTC | #458748

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 10 by Alternative Carpark

>>7

Maybe Germany has introduced a filter for unfunny content?

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 07:11:00 UTC | #458749

Oromasdes1978's Avatar Comment 11 by Oromasdes1978

Hehehe Very good - I loved it!

Not only did the arguments for the pointlessnes of the execution come across really well and the God Delusion got paraphrased but now Christians can all blame PZ for it all going wrong! :D

I do love the idea of God quitting on what is essentially himself because of his own character faults!

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 07:36:00 UTC | #458755

dargndorp's Avatar Comment 12 by dargndorp

Couldn't get it from Germany either at first.

http://www.ultrareach.com/ did the job for me. This is a little piece of proxy software designed by the Falun Gong people to circumvent the Great Chinese Firewall, it also works for atheists.

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:44:00 UTC | #458766

black wolf's Avatar Comment 13 by black wolf

The block we get in germany is similar to the one we get for copyright protected content. YouTube made a deal with Sony Music that they will block any video in Germany and in return don't pay German broadcasting fees (GEMA).

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:48:00 UTC | #458767

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 14 by Cook@Tahiti

One of the best episodes in a while

'I'll commit some spirits into your hands'

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 08:54:00 UTC | #458770

JackR's Avatar Comment 15 by JackR

IMHO this is the best, funniest, cleverest, sharpest Mr. Deity yet. They're on fire.

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:04:00 UTC | #458772

JackR's Avatar Comment 17 by JackR

#8, Neil Schipper:

My non-comment: I won't be clicking 'play' this time.

So you know it's "fatuous" and "self-satisfied" without even looking, eh?

Word of the day for you, Neil:

Prejudice: noun, an unfavorable opinion or feeling formed beforehand or without knowledge, thought, or reason.

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:08:00 UTC | #458774

TheReason's Avatar Comment 16 by TheReason

I don't understand why peoples nipples have been twisted about the validity of Mr Deity?

It's funny to most and even has a lot of 'in-jokes'.

It pokes fun at and is blasphemus toward the biblical God. It also highlights just how silly and irrational the continuity of the Bible is.

What could be better for exposing the religious mentality?

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:08:00 UTC | #458773

supernorbert's Avatar Comment 18 by supernorbert

Here is the video for germany and other blocked countries

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:39:00 UTC | #458780

latsot's Avatar Comment 19 by latsot

@ Neil Schipper

I'm sure the team doesn't feel that fatuous self satisfied humor *necessarily* serves clear thinking, no. Their posting Mr Deity here doesn't suggest they do. It suggests they think this specific material serves clear thinking or would be of interest to a clearly thinking community. I think they are right on both counts.

On the first count: First, as others have said, ridicule is one of the best weapons we have against the ridiculous. Second, rationalists are often labelled as lacking in joy, humour, imagination, creativity etc. This content demonstrates that stereotype as untrue. Third, humour can help draw people together in common interests. Anecdotally, I sent earlier episodes of Mr Deity to some friends and people at work and some of those are now taking a keen interest in skepticism. They haven't all responded so well when I've shown them more serious links to skeptical topics.

On the second point: Mr Deity is clearly of interest to at least some parts of the skeptical community. New episodes inevitably turn up on many of the main skeptically inclined blogs and the Youtube channel has more than 23k subscribers, most of whom, I suspect, will be of a skeptical bent.

I can't see any reason to complain about posting this content here. Indeed, I welcome it. I'd welcome it even if I didn't find it hilarious.

As an aside, whatever anyone's tastes im humour, Mr Deity is not fatuous, which means vacuously stupid or lacking in understanding or wit. Plainly, the writers understand what they are ridiculing and they and the actors demonstrate skill and wit. It should be easy to accept this even if you hate the show. The episodes, especially the later ones, show every sign of being crafted with care. They are not flip, off-the-cuff rants, but painstakingly put together pieces of craftsmanship. They seem the very opposite of fatuous.

Feel free not to like Mr Deity, but don't make ungrounded criticisms of it, especially when you DON'T HAVE TO CLICK.

It's hard to understand why people complain about free content anyway.

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:51:00 UTC | #458784

Neil Schipper's Avatar Comment 20 by Neil Schipper

Folks, I've seen at least a half dozen of these. I find it's a style of humor that relies on (and validates) the viewer's anxious need to feel smug and superior.

Now, I recognize that novelty is large part of what makes something funny, and for those of you who are quite young, go ahead and enjoy. I probably would have enjoyed these some years ago.

But as an ancient, I'd rather not see this no exertion necessary kind of entertainment promoted at rd.net.

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 09:59:00 UTC | #458785

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 21 by rod-the-farmer

...the crucifiction ?......That's how we get all the funding"

LOL hilarious

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:04:00 UTC | #458787

latsot's Avatar Comment 22 by latsot

@Neil Schipper

Or it demonstrates whimsy to lightheartedly poke fun at religion. Besides, isn't most if not all humour about feeling superior in some sense to someone else? I don't think this demonstrates an 'anxious need' to feel superior though.

I find this is a style of comment that relies on (and validates) the writer's anxious need to feel smug and superior.

No exertion necessary? You are starting to sound very much like a troll.

(Edited to say who I was quoting, then again because I wasn't paying attention the first time)

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:14:00 UTC | #458788

TaterSalad's Avatar Comment 23 by TaterSalad

@People unable to view the video in Germany or other places, use a proxy server like freeproxyserver.net or www.hidemyass.com. ;)

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 10:34:00 UTC | #458793

Whistler's Avatar Comment 24 by Whistler

Never thought I would say this, but "way to go Jesus", lol

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:13:00 UTC | #458801

bamafreethinker's Avatar Comment 25 by bamafreethinker

I can't get over the part about god not being able to be in the presence of sinners... yet hangs out with sinners for 33 years... a tasty piece of dissonance I hadn't thought of before!

The perception of humor is like opinions and a-holes... everybody's got one.

I've got an idea: We could have a "DELETE" button on every article and media post, and if there's anyone out there who thinks it doesn't belong on RD.net they can just zap it our of existence!

On my PC anyway, I actually have to click the "play" button to watch these. I also have to actually click on and read the articles to know what they say. Do some of you have a media player trojan that forces you to watch even the clips you hate?

Comment #479413 by latsot

Great post!

I can easily see how someone could say these aren't funny in their opinion, but I do not see how anyone could view these as anything but intelligently and thoughfully written.

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:23:00 UTC | #458850

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 26 by Agrajag

Nice little nod to The God Delusion at 4:01. (Duh!)

@Neil Schipper: Lighten up, Dude.
Steve

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 13:33:00 UTC | #458854

bluebird's Avatar Comment 27 by bluebird

Well played MrD & co.; I look forward to season 4.

"...continuity is a bitch, isn't it?..." lol
The devil's in the details ;)

O.T.
Tonight (13th) is part II of 'Hunting the Edge of Space':

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 14:51:00 UTC | #458892

Agrajag's Avatar Comment 28 by Agrajag

27. Comment #479521 by bluebird on April 13, 2010 at 3:51 pm

O.T.
Tonight (13th) is part II of 'Hunting the Edge of Space':

This is where they find the face of god I think.

Srsly, the first part was fascinating; don't miss the second.
Steve

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 15:43:00 UTC | #458911

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 29 by Richard Dawkins

I posted a comment this morning, but it seems to have disappeared. Just to say I thought this episode of Mr Deity is superb: witty, intelligent, cutting and very funny.

Richard

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 16:57:00 UTC | #458931

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 30 by Steve Zara

Destroys Christianity in 4 minutes!

Tue, 13 Apr 2010 17:05:00 UTC | #458936