← Johann Hari calls for the arrest of the Pope part 1

Johann Hari calls for the arrest of the Pope part 1 - Comments

Rawhard Dickins's Avatar Comment 1 by Rawhard Dickins

The religions will never understand sexuality until they understand biological evolution.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 06:53:00 UTC | #460643

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 2 by the great teapot

Re opening comment on broadcast.
It's not a sex scandal.
It's a sexual abuse scandal.ie rape scandal.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 06:57:00 UTC | #460645

Eventhorizon's Avatar Comment 3 by Eventhorizon

The beebs coverage of this has been pretty good actually, considering their head is a practicing catholic. Maybe he's one of the ones that see Ratzinger as a PR disaster for the chuch

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 07:10:00 UTC | #460652

Paine's Avatar Comment 4 by Paine

The media here spend all their time bitching and moaning about the 'death of journalism'...it's more of a suicide, IMHO.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 07:41:00 UTC | #460660

Deek's Avatar Comment 5 by Deek

Gotta love Johan's cutting simplicity here.

I also think that as he gets older his delivery and demeanour mellows and his points become more incisive because of that.

A good man to have in your corner.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 07:45:00 UTC | #460661

DamnDirtyApe's Avatar Comment 6 by DamnDirtyApe

Top stuff from Johann there.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 07:46:00 UTC | #460662

mannylee's Avatar Comment 7 by mannylee

Bravo Mr Hari, bravo.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 07:53:00 UTC | #460665

AndrewP's Avatar Comment 8 by AndrewP

Johann done good, as they say in the States.

A new report from the BBC today. Hitchens now talking about "sueing" The Rat rather than "arresting" him. Good move.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:29:00 UTC | #460669

fasharoony's Avatar Comment 9 by fasharoony

Johann rocks.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:43:00 UTC | #460671

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 10 by mjwemdee

Great!
And part 2....? Is that being posted?

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:48:00 UTC | #460674

William T. Dawkins's Avatar Comment 11 by William T. Dawkins

Comment #481336 by Paine

WTF can't American news carry programs like this?

I think it very suspicious that a headline like "Dawkins Wants to Arrest the Pope" which is of course exaggerated news all over Europe. Appears reciprocal here in the US as "Dawkins Should be Arrested for Athiest Crimes". Do we have a National News Censor?

Great Job by Johann!

Best Regards,

William

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 08:51:00 UTC | #460677

Jay Cee's Avatar Comment 12 by Jay Cee

Richard was brilliant in Edinburgh last night. Poetic, humorous, fluent, original. His talk was lovely but his answers to questions were even better. One question which he answered very well was regarding the pope. Johann gives a clear and emphatic answer to match that of Richard. Thank goodness Johann will still be around after Richard is gone.

Edit - there is a reference to arresting the pope of the BBC's 'The News Quiz'. It's quite comical!!!

By the way Richard I found out why the term 'reducing' is used. A quote from my analytical textbook: (I am a physical chemist)

'It may appear strange that the term reduction is associated with a gaining process. Actually the term reduction was coined as a result of what happens to the oxidation number of the element when the electron transfer takes place.'

Not very interesting, I'll admit, but it answers your question.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:13:00 UTC | #460680

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 13 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Comment #481336 by Paine

"I used to enjoy Dateline London on BBC world before I moved to the US. WTF can't American news carry programs like this?"

Perhaps because they are busy broadcasting the stuff contained in the following link.

WARNING: Extreme concerntrated unalloyed stupid. Remove throwable objects from within reach. The poster is not responsible for damage caused to computer equipment. Do not watch if on heart medication.

I did warn you.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:25:00 UTC | #460681

William T. Dawkins's Avatar Comment 14 by William T. Dawkins

Yes, You did warn us.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:37:00 UTC | #460684

RainDear's Avatar Comment 15 by RainDear

Well done, Johann Hari. It’s disgusting how the RCC tries to spin this as an atheist attack on religion. Any secular organization intentionally covering up child rape would have been crucified by now, pun intended.

I’m wondering whether the leadership of the RCC is really full of monsters, or is it just that the RCC is so alienated from real life that they can’t see the monstrosity of their actions and words?

The problem with religious morality is the artificiality of its doctrines. The very idea of ”sin” is artificial. It is not based on the bad consequences of certain actions or the human suffering they might cause. No, it’s based on pseudo-intellectual interpretations of an ancient collection of miscellaneous scrolls, supposedly written by a bunch of goat-herders.

Perhaps this is the RCC logic:
1. There are many sins associated with sexuality.
2. People are sinful, even priests, even sexually.
3. But we must be merciful to sinners.

So, premarital sex is a sin. Using a condom is a sin. Homosexuality is a sin. Chil rape is a sin.

Perhaps a devout catholic really doesn’t see why child rape is somehow a worse sin than using a condom. After all, two unmarried homosexual adults using a condom constitutes THREE sins simultaneously. To a devout catholic, raping a child constitutes just one. So be reasonable and lay off, atheists.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:45:00 UTC | #460686

FreeWillyB's Avatar Comment 16 by FreeWillyB

Thank you for uploading this, thank you that you are pursuing this, Johann.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 09:46:00 UTC | #460687

AndrewP's Avatar Comment 17 by AndrewP

Comment #481336 by Paine

I did warn you.

Jumping Jesus Christ on a tricycle. This made every toe I own curl up and try and scratch my ankles. Varney used to be allowed to only read out numbers from a financial wall chart. I had no idea he was such a maroon.
Then of course, there's the inevitable comparison between fresh-faced Johann and fresh-faced Jonathan. Names are close. Prefrontal cortices are light years distant.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:06:00 UTC | #460690

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 18 by the great teapot

Ivan the not so bad.

Comedy gold.

Is that the pilot show.
I hope we get the series in the UK.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:29:00 UTC | #460692

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 19 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Comment #481370 by the great teapot

"Is that the pilot show. I hope we get the series in the UK."

Sadly, given the Conservative Party's media policy (reduce restrictions on broadcaster's impartiality , get rid of OFCOM, curtail the BBC) which seems to be the basis of the pact David Cameron made with Rupert Murdoch to get his support in the forthcoming election, your wish might well be granted on a SKY News package near you if the Conservatives win.

Be afraid.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 10:53:00 UTC | #460696

Flapjack's Avatar Comment 20 by Flapjack

Ivan the Not-so-bad - That was a genuine Fox show? I had to pinch myself, I thought I was watching Stephen Colbert.
To summarise, apparently the whole of Europe worship pagan gods and socialised healthcare is less effective and socially responsible than faith-healing?
And this is the conclusion of a preacher who lived here for 9 years.
I call Poe!

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:13:00 UTC | #460699

Philster61's Avatar Comment 21 by Philster61

Comment #481358

Richard is in Edinburgh?? Whereabouts is he speaking? I'm in Edinburgh at the moment

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:47:00 UTC | #460701

bethe123's Avatar Comment 22 by bethe123

Yes, Johann Hari made good points on the Pope.
The non-Pope issues were not so clear.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 11:55:00 UTC | #460703

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 23 by Stafford Gordon

Someone has said that Johann Hari may well be the heir apparent to Richard Dawkins; I agree, but I don't like the idea of heirs.

It smacks of dynasties which is what needs to be got away from.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 12:11:00 UTC | #460706

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 24 by mordacious1

13. Comment #481359 by Ivan The Not So Bad

I wish PZ would have given the same warning. I sat down with my coffee yesterday, popped on to Pharyngula, and "Hey, a new video". It was that clip you posted. Believe me, not the way to start one's day.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 12:49:00 UTC | #460712

MarcCountry's Avatar Comment 25 by MarcCountry

Says the host:
"... of course, the church does very good work with children, which we shouldn't forget..."

BARF!

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:07:00 UTC | #460716

MarcCountry's Avatar Comment 26 by MarcCountry

Meanwhile, on the BBC website:

HEADLINE: Pope Benedict meets Church 'sex abuse victims' in Malta

"Pope Benedict XVI has met alleged victims of sexual abuse by priests in Malta..."

Notice the inverted commas in the headline, and the "alleged" in the first sentence?

What's that I hear about the BBC head being a practicing catholic?... I wonder if that explains their queasily cautious coverage...

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:19:00 UTC | #460719

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 27 by mordacious1

One thing that I haven't heard mentioned in these discussions, is that, if a priest is accused of raping several young boys and if the civil authorities are brought in, then eventually, if the allegations appear to be true, the abuser will be brought before a judge. When this happens, the judge will either remand the accused into custody, to await trial, or release him on his own recognizance. If the latter occurs, the judge may see fit to take away the accused's passport.

I think that this is one reason the church refuses to work with civil authorities. They could not whisk him out of the country and relocate him. He'd have to stay and face the charges and the church would lose money.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:19:00 UTC | #460720

Bonzai's Avatar Comment 28 by Bonzai

13. Comment #481359 by Ivan The Not So Bad

WTF??!!

Yeah, you did warn us, but still..

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:33:00 UTC | #460723

ozitenor's Avatar Comment 29 by ozitenor

From a distance, Johann Hari looks kind of like Rachel Maddow!

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 13:37:00 UTC | #460724

bethe123's Avatar Comment 30 by bethe123

Regarding 13.

"WTF" hardly qualifies as a rebuttal.

Remove the controversial religious claims, and there are still questions of economic theory in the video that are not so easily dismissed.
It is quite possible for people in the US to vote Republican not because they are religious, not because they think Palin is qualified, but because Republicans and Democrats have different economic philosophies, and they happen to agree more with the Republicans than the Democrats.

Sun, 18 Apr 2010 14:07:00 UTC | #460727