← Billboard: "You Know It's a Myth"

Billboard: "You Know It's a Myth" - Comments

cixelsyd5's Avatar Comment 1 by cixelsyd5

AWESOME billboard!!

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 05:55:07 UTC | #553328

Neurotic's Avatar Comment 2 by Neurotic

How long until it's vandalized?

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 06:06:13 UTC | #553330

Michael Gray's Avatar Comment 3 by Michael Gray

I want it on my front lawn!

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 06:18:41 UTC | #553333

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 4 by huzonfurst

Better than the humanist ones because it's more in their smug little faces!

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 06:27:12 UTC | #553334

Michael Austin's Avatar Comment 5 by Michael Austin

That's awesome! If they made little 'campaign sized' ones, I'd put it in my lawn.

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 06:31:12 UTC | #553336

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 6 by huzonfurst

Their next one could be from The Life of Brian:

"We are astrologers and he is the savior!"

"The savior, eh? Well, what star sign is he?"

"He is a Capricorn."

"Oh, so that's Capricorn, is it?"

"What! No, no, just him"

"Oh right, otherwise there'd be a lot of them..."

I swear that movie gets funnier every time I see it.

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 06:33:49 UTC | #553338

Sines's Avatar Comment 7 by Sines

I gotta say, it's probably not the best kind of billboard as I'm in favor of the ones that aren't overly divisive. Bad PR and all that. Be good for goodness' sake gives a better message, and makes us look better than those christians who put up signs implying atheists will shoot you.

But with the pragmatist in me out of the way... I find this billboard to be hilarious. Probably one of the most blatant ones ever. I am always confused by believers need to constantly profess their belief. It always makes me wonder if they don't know it's a myth too, despite their proclamations.

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 07:00:37 UTC | #553346

Austin K's Avatar Comment 8 by Austin K

Atheists who celebrate christmas (like myself) don't care about the whole nativity story. It's a time for giving and family, and can be celebrated without the whole Jesus thing. I don't think this Billboard is a good direction to go because there are many "Atheist butters" and moderate christians who will see this as a negative message. I think we can (and have been able to) change christmas into something more inclusive, but I don't think we'll ever get rid of it, and I for one don't want to.

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 07:21:08 UTC | #553354

PERSON's Avatar Comment 9 by PERSON

"People have their own faiths, but that's not something you put on a billboard for the whole world to see" Surely she knows there are Christians who do this? Perhaps she'd condemn them the same way? I guess the local Fox stations are somewhat different from the FoKKKs Views Channel, but can someone link to a report on such a billboard put up by Christians ( are there really none like that in NY state? ) with a similar comment? On any TV station, really? Or is this the US' Liberal Media in action again? To be fair, I seriously doubt atheists generate as much noise about such billboard adverts.

It's clearly a play on "IT'S THE REASON FOR THE SEASON", but I'm sure there'll be people working hard to misinterpret it. And it does say "celebrate" not "sit at home miserably and act like nothing's happening".

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 07:39:28 UTC | #553361

lilycooper's Avatar Comment 10 by lilycooper

YAY! GO TEAM! I wish one of these could go up next to every Nativity Scene in shopping centres. Catchy tagline!

It's beginning to look a lot like Mithras...

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 08:14:19 UTC | #553366

TrickyDicky's Avatar Comment 11 by TrickyDicky

Comment 8 by Austin K :

Why refer to it as christmas, this time of year was celebrated long before it was hijacked by the christians.

I make a point of always saying I am celebrating the winter solstice the fact that the days will be getting longer is well worth celebrating if you live in the north.

Every year I have tried to find "christmas" cards (sending them is a social norm) that didn't mention christmas and only last year found a supplier of a large range of winter solstice cards which I now send even to my religious friends.

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 08:39:15 UTC | #553384

tomt's Avatar Comment 12 by tomt

@TrickyDicky why not call it Christmas, i'm not sacrificing an enjoyable cultural tradition simply because I don't believe in God. I'll probably sing some carols too. No one in my family is religious but we've always been able to enjoy the holiday and pick and choose those traditions we enjoy.

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 08:59:52 UTC | #553397

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 13 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Basically, what the interviewees are saying is "I've got nothing against atheists but why do they have to flaunt themselves and shove it in our faces?" Can't think where I've heard that before. I wonder if some of their best friends are atheists......

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:52:44 UTC | #553415

beanson's Avatar Comment 14 by beanson

I think christmas is not really that important to x-ians anyway, it's easter that gets them creaming- they love to celebrate the death and then the dawn of the dead when the zombie rises.

But Yule logs, mistletoe and holly and easter bunnies and eggs show that these are older fests which have been hijacked by the xians

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 09:56:32 UTC | #553418

funkydrummer's Avatar Comment 15 by funkydrummer

They could do a series next one adam and eve and the talking snake. but wait there's more :)

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:01:44 UTC | #553421

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 16 by Stafford Gordon

"People believe what they believe." What does that mean?

I think it should be that we all have a tendency to believe what suits us.

"Nullius in Verba" say I.

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:17:03 UTC | #553432

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 17 by Stafford Gordon

"Everyone believes in different things": What does that mean? That life's a dream?

I beleive that we must all resist the tendency to believe what suits us.

"Nullius in Verba" say I.

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:27:14 UTC | #553441

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 18 by Stafford Gordon

I beleive that we must all resist the tendency to believe what suits us.

"Nullius in Verba" say I.

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:27:45 UTC | #553442

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 19 by Stafford Gordon

I beleive that we must all resist the tendency to believe what suits us.

"Nullius in Verba" say I.

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:28:37 UTC | #553443

pipsy's Avatar Comment 20 by pipsy

Should have been done centuries ago!

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:33:23 UTC | #553446

sandman67's Avatar Comment 21 by sandman67

good idea, BAD strategy.

Congrats idiots....you just fed more fuel to the Xtians who claim "Atheists want to ban christmas"....as is borne out by some of the crowd comment (athough I know Fox choose which to show).

As another poster says Be Good For Goodness Sake or something similar would have been more effective, less snipey, and better for the cause.

1 out of 10 guys, D - must try harder (to think).

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:37:11 UTC | #553448

PurplePanda's Avatar Comment 22 by PurplePanda

"But the Christians decided their money could be better spent elsewhere"

Yeah, no doubt, I've been to the Vatican!

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:39:11 UTC | #553451

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 23 by Stafford Gordon

Whoops!

I keep thinking I've missed the mark with my contributions so I try again to load them; apologies.

When they disappear I'll just have to accept the fact. May be it's my machine.

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 10:47:08 UTC | #553455

Alan4discussion's Avatar Comment 24 by Alan4discussion

My wife's family are Scottish so Hogmanay looks good. My ancestors were Vikings, so I might try "Yule"! Sometimes we do both!

There must be enough Scots and ex-Scots out there for a proper mid-winter festival!

The roots of Hogmanay perhaps reach back to the celebration of the winter solstice among the Norse, as well as incorporating customs from the Gaelic New Year's celebration of Samhain. In Rome, winter solstice evolved into the ancient celebration of Saturnalia, a great winter festival, where people celebrated completely free of restraint and inhibition. The Vikings celebrated Yule, which later contributed to the Twelve Days of Christmas, or the "Daft Days" as they were sometimes called in Scotland. The winter festival went underground with the Protestant Reformation and ensuing years, but re-emerged near the end of the 17th century.

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:12:57 UTC | #553468

opposablethumbs's Avatar Comment 25 by opposablethumbs

Comment 10 by lilycooper

It's beginning to look a lot like Mithras...

nice one! and keyboard endangerment alert.

I wonder if it would work with the rest of the lyrics...

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 11:39:53 UTC | #553483

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 26 by AtheistEgbert

Apparently, if anyone actually watched the video, the billboard is directed at Atheists who are 'going through the motions'.

Yes, I find the billboard mildly offensive, however, so is religious promotion. That offends me too. What are you going to do? Ban offensive atheist billboards but not offensive religious billboards?

Perhaps some of us atheists are getting a bit annoyed at other atheists, for their lack of reason. This billboard does nothing but spread that atheism can be as offensive as religion, but what is wrong with being offensive? Sometimes being offensive to irrationality can help people think, provoke debate. Does not modern art seek to do exactly the same thing?

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 12:08:07 UTC | #553493

Spawny Rosary's Avatar Comment 27 by Spawny Rosary

I like. Mildly provocative. Nice Christmassy nativity scene.

Follow up with "Be good for goodness sake" would be ideal, perhaps on a Santa poster though, and perhaps this is more humanist than atheistic.

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 12:46:04 UTC | #553507

cheesedoff17's Avatar Comment 28 by cheesedoff17

I'll second Sandman67 on this. Besides, if it's really aimed at closet atheists, it should read something like "Hey you guys who know it's a myth, why do you keep pretending?"

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 12:57:11 UTC | #553512

The CDM's Avatar Comment 29 by The CDM

is this another of David Blaine's magic tricks?

Fri, 26 Nov 2010 12:59:03 UTC | #553515

Anvil's Avatar Comment 30 by Anvil

I think it's a negative snipey message. It just rubs people up. Maybe that was the intention - I can't be sure? Either way, if you have to ask 'what's it for?' then I have to question what its initial brief was? Not that I'm against rubbing people up, mind, but if they were going to take the piss then at least do it in style: Same poster, different slogans:

Straight piss-take:

'You're fucking kidding us, right?'

or something from one of the protagonists:

"What exactly do you mean not mine?

or spoof commercial:

'Who Ya Gonna' Call?'

with a choice of small print at the base:

'Now Open Xmas Day - 'Three Camels Pizza Delivery' - Try Our New 'Lamb of God' Kebab. All Our Meat Guaranteed Halal.

or possibly:

'Need to know who The Father is? 'Hawking, Dawkins, & Dennet' - Paternity Testing you can Trust.'

Anvil.