← Bill O'Reilly vs. David Silverman: You Know They're All Scams

Bill O'Reilly vs. David Silverman: You Know They're All Scams - Comments

Neurotic's Avatar Comment 1 by Neurotic

Oh my god, I loved Silverman's flabbergasted reception when O'Reilly mentioned the tides.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:16:38 UTC | #573668

markjn's Avatar Comment 2 by markjn

Maybe I'm spoiled by Hitchens and Dawkins and Harris et al, but this guy didn't do a very good job.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:19:31 UTC | #573671

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 3 by Ignorant Amos

Bill O'Reilly....in this instance, you are a moron.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:20:08 UTC | #573672

intenso's Avatar Comment 4 by intenso

Comment 3 by Ignorant Amos :

Bill O'Reilly....in this instance, you are a moron.

You have a few unnecessary words there.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:24:13 UTC | #573675

sbooder's Avatar Comment 5 by sbooder

Did he really ask how the tides work? Pure Lunacy!

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:28:39 UTC | #573677

ScottB's Avatar Comment 6 by ScottB

I thought this when RD went on and I'm thinking it again: why bother going on O'Reilly's show. You're never going to get a fair crack at the whip. This 'king retard doesn't even shut up for the people he DOES agree with.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:31:48 UTC | #573678

Chrisss212's Avatar Comment 7 by Chrisss212

O'Reilly knows it's a scam. He's a scam artist.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:33:00 UTC | #573680

Atheist Mike's Avatar Comment 8 by Atheist Mike

He could at least treat his guest with some respect. O'Reilly was just babbling rubbish and interrupting all the way through the interview.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:41:44 UTC | #573685

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 9 by AtheistEgbert

Bill O'Reilly is indeed a hypocritical idiot.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:47:30 UTC | #573690

Randy Ping's Avatar Comment 10 by Randy Ping

Bill doesn't know that the moon causes the tide?? he is an idiot.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:53:21 UTC | #573691

Mbee's Avatar Comment 11 by Mbee

Did Bill O'Reilly actually say he didn't know what makes the tides work? - Well actually he didn't he just posed the question of what makes them move in and out.
I think David Silverman had the best response there - ignore the question.

DS could certainly have done better in other areas but then he was up against the king of the Scam artists.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 15:57:00 UTC | #573692

Randy Ping's Avatar Comment 12 by Randy Ping

David Silverman is not very good at being a spokesman or debater. Just sayin...

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:00:09 UTC | #573695

some asshole's Avatar Comment 13 by some asshole

Silverman is awesome. I just wish he had countered the ridiculous "tides go in and out" comment by informing O'Reilly that tides are caused in large part by the gravity of the sun and moon.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:04:03 UTC | #573696

celiamn's Avatar Comment 14 by celiamn

"You can't explain that", a third grader can explain that. He used that one on Dawkins too and he said "We know why the tides go in and out." but O'Reilly still doesn't get that.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:04:31 UTC | #573697

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 15 by Nunbeliever

OMGoodness! This would be a terrific Monthy Python sketch. "Scam is an insult. No it is not! Yes it is! No why would it be. Because I say so! Come on we are two regular guys here, it is an insult. No it is not an insult. From my point of view it is. Who gives a damn about your point of view. There you go, INSULT!"

I would go ape in a second arguing with a moron like O'Reilly. The funny think though is, that only a few years back I considered O'Reilly the ultimate low mark in mainstream media. Today his lunacy seems quite moderate and almost comprehensible compared to real lunatics like Glenn Beck.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:04:59 UTC | #573698

Ode2Hitch's Avatar Comment 16 by Ode2Hitch

Wow - O'Reilly is such a tool! Dare I venture that most people that rely on him for knowledge and information are, in fact, the loons?

Yes I do, and yes, they are!

Such a frustrating interview.... need tea...

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:05:22 UTC | #573699

Radesq's Avatar Comment 17 by Radesq

Nice one sbooder - had me howling!

Everyone else the word you are looking for is PINHEAD.

Maybe Silverman should be jailed for criticizing religion, maybe he should be shot. This is what they recommend in some countries. Perhaps Mullah O'Reilly would support instituting anti-blasphemy laws in the United States.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:07:20 UTC | #573700

sara g's Avatar Comment 18 by sara g

Something doesn't have to be untrue to be insulting. If you tell an ugly person he's ugly, it's still insulting. If you tell gullible religious people they're gullible, be prepared for them to find it insulting.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:10:22 UTC | #573702

some asshole's Avatar Comment 19 by some asshole

Referring to something that people believe in as a "scam" is not an insult. It is a statement, nothing more. If people are insulted, that can only be because of the conclusions they've drawn on their own. For example, if--as O'Reilly claims--someone feels like they're being called an "idiot" by this, that's because they think only an idiot would fall for such a scam. But they need not have drawn that conclusion. They could have drawn the conclusion that it's a sophisticated scam, backed by ages of familial and social pressure and indoctrination, and the odds are stacked in the scammers' favor since the scam is pounded in starting at a tender age.

Silverman also made an excellent point in mentioning that atheists are insulted constantly. In my area, there is no shortage of signs telling me I'm damned. I know the same thing is true in many areas across the US.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:18:56 UTC | #573705

Ranting Socrates's Avatar Comment 20 by Ranting Socrates

I love the plug at the end. Please if you watch anything, and I mean anything, make sure it is the last five seconds.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:25:30 UTC | #573707

sbooder's Avatar Comment 21 by sbooder

Comment 17 by Radesq :

Nice one sbooder - had me howling! Everyone else the word you are looking for is PINHEAD.

I thank you (Arthur Askey 1900 - 1982)

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:25:32 UTC | #573708

paulobg's Avatar Comment 22 by paulobg

How can a guy that speaks to "millions" say something like that about the ties.... ohhhh the ignorance... and the question is not his ignorance it's the passing of ignorance to others...

By the way.. new gravatar :) do you guys like it? I first thought of having it tattooed... but then remembered my 17's and the horrible tattoo I had done and decided to go for a gravatar :)

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:25:59 UTC | #573709

AsylumWarden's Avatar Comment 23 by AsylumWarden

Don't think Silverman did a great job, but when your opponent is someone like O'Reilly, I guess you don't really need to.

Don't know how the tides work? Head on down to the library and find a basic science book aimed at kids!

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:28:05 UTC | #573710

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 24 by Stevehill

Why does O'Reilly have a job?

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:29:59 UTC | #573711

Rob Schneider's Avatar Comment 25 by Rob Schneider

I want to know how Bill can repeatedly say, "Atheists are 1% of the population, and you're insulting 80%." Who are the other 19%??

Not overall impressed with the use of "scam" in their billboard. Shooting at a pretty narrow audience with that term, as opposed to the other "You know it's a Myth" billboard. IMHO.

And as for Silverman's appearance as a spokesperson? REALLY? A "lucifer" goatee? Image, man! Image!!

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:32:05 UTC | #573712

Schweitzerg's Avatar Comment 26 by Schweitzerg

David is coming on too abrasive and can do more harm than good with that type of response.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:33:51 UTC | #573713

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 27 by -TheCodeCrack-

I think people are being harsh on Silverman. I happen to think he did a very good job!

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:34:15 UTC | #573714

Rob Schneider's Avatar Comment 28 by Rob Schneider

Comment 26 by Schweitzerg :

Agreed. Unimpressive representation, even for dealing with an ass-clown like O'Reilly. Dig up some Hitchens appearances. He carries an air of total disdain for O'Reilly throughout the interview, maintains control of the topic, and generally gets his very precise talking points across.

Silverman is giving Bill too much respect and engaging in (falling for) Bill's line of (cough) reasoning. He's too happy to play Bill's game.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:38:22 UTC | #573715

sbooder's Avatar Comment 29 by sbooder

I am not sure I would have denied the insult bit. I think I would have asked if it had offended him and others, and if the answer was yes, I would have replied Good! I can not care if you are offended or not, the truth hurts, but it is still the truth. I have to spend everyday hearing people tell me and others there is a god and although that offends my intelligence, it really dose not offend me, and even if it did, you have a right to offend and so do I.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:39:41 UTC | #573716

SoHelpMeReason's Avatar Comment 30 by SoHelpMeReason

Why do atheists accept invitations to the O'Reilly Factor? You know what's on the agenda, man, you saw it with Richard Dawkins. His interview should have been a telling one. Heck, a quick study of the entire show should have left a nasty impression on you.

O'Reilly's not going to stay unbiased. O'Reilly's not even going to let you speak for freaking heaven's sake! "I'm not the smartest guy in town..." is the understatement of the year.

Please, he needs to be ignored out of existence. It was a mark of poor judgment that Silverman chose to go on here.

Wed, 05 Jan 2011 16:40:25 UTC | #573717