← Christopher Hitchens "All Of Life Is A Wager"

Christopher Hitchens "All Of Life Is A Wager" - Comments

sxedmonds's Avatar Comment 1 by sxedmonds

He seems crook. Bugger.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 02:15:47 UTC | #583775

RightReverend's Avatar Comment 2 by RightReverend

It is a wager that Hitchens will lose decisively.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 02:26:33 UTC | #583780

Net's Avatar Comment 3 by Net

how sad that he is in this state. and he keeps on giving!

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 02:27:18 UTC | #583782

rrh1306's Avatar Comment 4 by rrh1306

If your making some kind of Pascal's wager jab there then I think it's fair to point out that with there being thousands of different gods and religious dominations you stand a good chance at losing that bet too.

Comment 2 by RightReverend :

It is a wager that Hitchens will lose decisively.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 02:45:06 UTC | #583789

helena!'s Avatar Comment 5 by helena!

Excellent interview. Hitchens touched upon so many good points and issues. I like it when he calls out mother Theresa. Fantastic spokesperson for truth.

I'm in awe of his intelligence and elequent speech.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 02:52:30 UTC | #583791

Quine's Avatar Comment 6 by Quine

Dear Christopher Hitchens,

You have contributed to the advancement of humanity through your writings, but please do not use that as a pass to leave the party before you must.

Thank you so much for your books and debates,

-Q

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 03:32:20 UTC | #583794

fuzzylogic's Avatar Comment 7 by fuzzylogic

I was pretty shocked when I clicked on that video in my sub box before there was a thumbnail and I saw and heard his state. My best friend died of cancer last summer and it's a familiar look... after the standard chemo fails.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 03:34:10 UTC | #583795

wildhog's Avatar Comment 8 by wildhog

Hitch is so inspirational. I wish I could be as smart as he is. He makes me want to read and study.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 03:48:02 UTC | #583797

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 9 by Neodarwinian

" I have your memoir in my hand. " The interviewer. Response from Hitch, " So should everybody. "

Always tickles me how Christopher Hitches uses any mention of a book of his in humorous promotion of said book. Successfully, I might say, as I am planning to get this memoir in the near future. At least the woman with the story could have spring for a book!

May you live long enough to humorously promote many more of your own books Christopher Hitchens.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 03:48:26 UTC | #583798

Rob Schneider's Avatar Comment 10 by Rob Schneider

Why, why, why, WHY at 37:30ish does Brian Lamb totally disregard the amazingly substantial comment Hitchens makes about the assassination of Salaam Tasseer, Pakistani Provincial Governor??

It's almost as if Lamb is avoiding being caught publicly sympathizing with or discussing Hitchen's disdain for Islam, so that he won't be condemned to death by association.

Pathetic. Hitchens could not be more correct OR more clear in his assessment of the Tasseer assassination. Very, very dangerous for us, and I think the vast majority of people are kidding themselves.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 03:54:45 UTC | #583799

lynda's Avatar Comment 11 by lynda

I really like Hitch. He's such an affable, loveable guy. I hope he's one of the fortunate ones who beats the odds and lives long enough for research to find a cure.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 04:30:07 UTC | #583809

JuJu's Avatar Comment 12 by JuJu

Comment 10 by Rob Schneider

I was thinking the same thing, Hitch was just getting into it when Brian jumped in and changed the subject.

I was delighted though, that Hitch used the Pakistan blasphemy laws as an example of what he considers to be of great importance in the world today. I was expecting something along those lines an he was delivering.

I also wonder if Hitch could use his condition as a platform to combat all the quackery of alternative medicine and energy healing etc..

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 04:47:58 UTC | #583810

PhilipK's Avatar Comment 13 by PhilipK

It's so painful to see a person like Hitchens in the condition he's in.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 04:53:45 UTC | #583812

Karen Hill Anton's Avatar Comment 14 by Karen Hill Anton

As always, eloquent. Clear. Thoughtful. Intelligent. And as said above -- his comments re the Tasseer assassination were a missed opportunity for the interviewer -- but of course that was not inadvertent. And of said interviewer -- I found him a bit distant, detached, removed -- and most especially as they have known one another for some years ...

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 04:58:06 UTC | #583814

Janus's Avatar Comment 15 by Janus

Has anyone talked to Hitchens about signing up for cryonics?

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 05:39:07 UTC | #583818

kraut's Avatar Comment 16 by kraut

Oh shit, to hear him made me cry. The spirit is there, but the effort to voice it...

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 06:02:03 UTC | #583820

Hortan's Avatar Comment 17 by Hortan

We have all already lost this wager, the only thing we can hope for is stalling the conclusion of it..

Comment 4 by rrh1306 :

Comment 2 by RightReverend :

It is a wager that Hitchens will lose decisively.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:00:04 UTC | #583827

sbooder's Avatar Comment 18 by sbooder

A pleasure to listen, as always. It struck me how much more enthused he became in the interview when given the reins to slag off Henry K and Mother T.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:01:18 UTC | #583828

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 19 by Crazycharlie

Comment #2 by " RightReverend"

I'll wager RightReverend is a religious duchebag.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:04:59 UTC | #583830

E1skeptic's Avatar Comment 20 by E1skeptic

Brian: "we're running out of time..."

Christopher: "let me be the judge of that..."

Wow. Hitchens is insightful, intelligent, and brave. A good example to mankind. If there was one like him in every country we'd all be better off...

I really hope to see his next interview with Mr. Lamb two years from now, if Mr. Lamb is still alive.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:15:34 UTC | #583832

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 21 by Bernard Hurley

Comment 2 by RightReverend :

It is a wager that Hitchens will lose decisively.

Methinks this is why he said it. The Right Reverend gentleman appears not to understand irony.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 07:23:17 UTC | #583836

gerard52's Avatar Comment 22 by gerard52

Listening to Hitch speak about death reminded of Epicurus thoughts on death "Why should I fear death? If I am death is not. If death is I am not. Why should I fear that which cannot exist when I do."

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 08:00:18 UTC | #583840

Southpaw's Avatar Comment 23 by Southpaw

If I could choose 5 people to have at a dinner party, they would all be The Hitch (I might let RD in on it if he brings a decent pudding).

His memoir is well, well worth reading, and if you ever need affirmation, enter 'Best of the Hitchslap' in YouTube and be affirmed.

Listening to Hitch speak about death reminded me of Epicurus

Reading this reminded me of another quote from Epicurus, which I think has even eluded the Quotes page here at RD.net:

"If god is willing to stop evil but unable, he is not omnipotent. If he is able but not willing he is malevolent. If he is neither able nor willing then why call him god?"

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 08:58:28 UTC | #583855

Vorlund's Avatar Comment 24 by Vorlund

What a noble man! His stoicism is an example to anyone who sees him.

I feel a sadness for him but I am far more moved by the sheer indomitability of his 'spirit'. Long Live Hitch!

I recently saw him on youtube in debate (Sept 2010) and clearly very ill when he utterly demolished David Berlinski who had been sporting but foolhardy enough to take him on. Even so seriously ill he was a tour de force.

He will be sadly missed when his time comes, but we all have to remember his work and make sure the legacy he leaves is not wasted.

Comment 22 - gerard26

Thank's for reminding me of this quote by Epicurus.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 08:59:55 UTC | #583856

headspit's Avatar Comment 25 by headspit

HITCHENS IS MY HERO FOR LIFE & DEATH.

what an mazing person ! i wish he comes down to england once at least before he dies.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 09:33:31 UTC | #583862

Net's Avatar Comment 26 by Net

i know it's early days yet; and it ain't over until the fat lady sings. what really gives me the sh*ts is that if/when hitchens dies, there'll be no state funeral; no pomp and circumstance ... yet when the leader of the fantasy club known as the catholic church dies, there'll be mass (no pun intended) weeping and wailing; and all the world's leaders will say nice, respectful things; and he may even one day be proclaimed a saint.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:57:59 UTC | #583882

Vicktor's Avatar Comment 27 by Vicktor

Hitch is amazing and very fortunate to be in perhaps the best medical hands the world currently has to offer given his condition.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:59:31 UTC | #583883

The Plc's Avatar Comment 28 by The Plc

"It’s a very vulgar, arithmetical, pragmatic way of arguing anyway. If you do that, then get the facts and figures wrong, well then you’re really fucked. You're fucked twice." - Christopher Hitchens on the scientific method.

Hitchens has certainly written for the advancement of the human race, but in a very particular sense. He was (or maybe still is) an advocate of historicism, or in Hitchens own words, 'the materialist conception of history'. Yes, that's right, as enemies of superstition and religion will have noted, this is a reference to the crackpot pseudoscientific way of looking at history and predicting human affairs which was devised by Hegel and developed further by Marx, which concludes that human affairs occur independently of human action and intent, and of which 'progress' or more practically, support to the aims and means of those with all the power and weapons, is to be celebrated and advocated as the highest moral good. This was used by Hitchens to justify, amongst other things, the genocide of the Native American population, and more recently, the Iraq war catastrophe. It's apologetics for violence of a unique kind, the kind that usually comes from totalitarians. I recommend a read of Popper and Russell for a thorough refutation of Historicism and dialectical Materialism.

Hitchens is an excellent writer, and on the surface of it a colossus of an anti-religious polemicist, but a bit of balance please?

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:03:41 UTC | #583897

Philoctetes                                        's Avatar Comment 29 by Philoctetes

Call it denial, but I refuse to get maudlin and waste time, effort and emotion thinking of a world without Hitch. In fact I am so unimaginative that I do not wish to contemplate it. I prefer to think of him and see him as probably the most vital person alive today.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:12:36 UTC | #583900

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 30 by AtheistEgbert

Painful to watch. I hope the new treatment will be successful.

As for people asking rather ghoulishly does it make Hitchens think about God? Well, why not spin this the other way, does it not make you think about there being no God?

The idea of the existence of personified evil, is interesting. It is perhaps a feeling derived from people who hold such self-deception that their sympathetic system is twisted, and it makes our sympathetic system unable to comprehend or sympathise with such people, making us feel they're non-human.

Tue, 25 Jan 2011 12:45:07 UTC | #583907