← Ken Ham vs. Rev. Barry Lynn Over Tax Funded Bible Theme Park

Ken Ham vs. Rev. Barry Lynn Over Tax Funded Bible Theme Park - Comments

drhat's Avatar Comment 1 by drhat

That has got to be the biggest middle finger to the secular society of America in a while.

I mean I'm pretty upset when my government (the danish one) uses my tax money on failed IT projects and various other things that nobody is being held responsible for - Which happens a bit too often for my comfort. This though? Wow... I am at a complete loss for words.

I would be furious if my tax money went to something like this. I would probably stop paying taxes altogether and start planning to leave the country - After I complain a lot of course.

But thats me.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 00:55:24 UTC | #585788

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 2 by Neodarwinian

Will this go into Federal court? This is definitively the sharp edge of the wedge. Money and " magic man, " is there a more powerful combination. This is the battle young people will have to determine. Will these religious types move us closer and closer to theocracy, or will they be turned back in the near future?

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 01:01:38 UTC | #585790

Bernard Hurley's Avatar Comment 3 by Bernard Hurley

If they do build their ark, using, of course, only technology available to bronze age man, I suggest they do a simple experiment. Populate it with two of every "kind" of animal and float it about with a minimal crew for 40 days, or whatever the time period was, with no help from the outside world and see what happens.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 01:08:58 UTC | #585791

Austin K's Avatar Comment 4 by Austin K

Ken Ham looks really... primitive. I can't help the feeling that someone found him in an ice block somewhere and he's just in denial.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 01:09:35 UTC | #585793

isisdron's Avatar Comment 5 by isisdron

Hilarious! yes, and make sure it only has one tiny window, and shuts from the outside, and lets see where all the food, poop, and water goes during the voyage!!

Comment 3 by Bernard Hurley :

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 01:11:32 UTC | #585795

CyrusSpitama's Avatar Comment 6 by CyrusSpitama

No doubt this future theme park will make more appearances on this sight in the future. Perhaps Mr. Dawkins will take a trip to Kentucky and check it out - with a film crew, of course and preferably in disguise ( a plaid fedora, sunglasses, and a fake black moustache will suffice).

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 01:16:57 UTC | #585798

Chrisss212's Avatar Comment 7 by Chrisss212

It's hilarious to watch what Christianity has reduced itself to. A theme park! How is the bible to be taken seriously among all of this? Watching religions evolve can be quite funny; however I’d still be annoyed if my tax money were going on a project like this.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 01:51:56 UTC | #585806

yanquetino's Avatar Comment 8 by yanquetino

Geeeezus. The next thing we know, a group of sh*twits will want tax payers to subsidize a Roswell Theme Park. After that, an Astrology Theme Park. Indeed, why not a Witchcraft Theme Park.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 01:52:23 UTC | #585807

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 9 by mordacious1

Barry Lynn, eloguent as usual, did a good job making Ham and his unicorns look ludicrous. This is obviously a ploy by Answers in Genesis to get tax dollars in their coffers.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 01:54:17 UTC | #585808

Riley's Avatar Comment 10 by Riley

Ken Ham in this case is right. The government needs to be neutral. If a Mickey Mouse based theme park would have qualified for government subsidies as part of a state program intended to attract tourism and business development (i.e. tax revenue and jobs), then so too should a Noah's Ark based theme park.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 02:11:14 UTC | #585811

T. S. Elliott's Avatar Comment 11 by T. S. Elliott

While I find it hard to agree with Dr. Zaius on anything, he does have somewhat of a point. If it's a tax break to bring economic benefits to the state and not grant money given, it does seem fair to apply it equally. At least it's not like other religious organisations that will be given tax free status. I can sympathise with a region that has high unemployment wanting to bring in a project that will provide jobs, and being able to tax the money that is fleeced from gullible tourists.

The only really positive thing from my point of view is the national news coverage that will hopefully illuminate more rational people about the crazy ideas that Dr. Zaius promotes.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 02:21:39 UTC | #585812

Daisy Skipper's Avatar Comment 12 by Daisy Skipper

I'm sure there are a lot of opportunities where $37,000,000 of tax payer money would be able to help create 900 jobs. That much money could train (I'm guessing) 400 engineers... or build a factory. The fact that this is explicitly for a religious origination should automatically preclude the involvement of tax dollars. Can you imagine if this was for some sort of islamic equivalent?

But the scariest thing about this story is America's appetite for this nonsense. Honestly, I know it's a big country, and the South is...well... the South... but is there enough severely deluded people to keep this place going? It looks huge. And where does an institution that believes in unicorns get that kind of money from?

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 02:38:27 UTC | #585815

clarerethink's Avatar Comment 13 by clarerethink

FOR PROFIT!

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 02:46:56 UTC | #585817

clarerethink's Avatar Comment 14 by clarerethink

Even the most religeous of us in UK wouldn't fall for this ridiculous venture...r they gonna stuff all the animals,unicorns,faifys etc.. even 3yr olds would see thru this + religiot parents surely would see this ridiculous money maker is just that,this may go against religion in end .

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 02:56:04 UTC | #585819

rod-the-farmer's Avatar Comment 15 by rod-the-farmer

You raise a good point. Would the U.S. government subsidise a similar project for an islamic theme park ? Maybe too far. How about a roman catholic theme park ? Not sure what the theme would be, but anyway...

I'd like to hear from the other protestant religious leaders on their reactions.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 03:01:15 UTC | #585820

mordacious1's Avatar Comment 16 by mordacious1

Comment 10 by Riley

I have to disagree with you. If Disney was using his theme park to convert people to becoming Mouselim (see what I did there?), then he would not be eligible for tax incentives either. This is the point that Lynn made, this is not a "for profit" park, but rather a "for prophet" park.

One could make an argument that Ham's sole purpose is to make money, I couldn't argue that, but the stated purpose of Answers in Genesis is to bring people to the nailed one.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 03:07:17 UTC | #585821

Reckless Monkey's Avatar Comment 17 by Reckless Monkey

I say give them the money if and only if they have one family build it (everyone else thought Noah was nuts as I recall). Using only medieval hand tools and then can float it on the ocean for a year (the rain fell for 40 days and nights but he was at sea for a year). He has to feed all the animals with whatever they can take. And I could go on for ages.

It would be interesting to see if they can build an ark to just stand there without collapsing using medieval materials or if they are forced to compromise (due to the laws of physics) let alone make an ocean going vessel. I'd love to see the engineering reports. We should if they do it properly get some interesting data (could it float, could it withstand waves etc). That would be worth the subsidy.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 03:23:07 UTC | #585822

yanquetino's Avatar Comment 18 by yanquetino

Comment 10 by Riley :

Wow... I didn't know that Disneyworld was attempting to proselytize the religious belief that Mickey Mouse was real!

The government should be neutral about reality? Can't wait for them to subsidize a Golden Plate theme park for Mormons.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 03:25:28 UTC | #585823

generationx's Avatar Comment 19 by generationx

I hope there's a flood and the arch stays on the ground and gets water logged haha.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 03:35:52 UTC | #585826

Ohnhai's Avatar Comment 20 by Ohnhai

Comment 10 by Riley :

Miss the point much? The ark park is dedicated to a single and narrow religious point of view and directly preaching it. For the govt to help fund this in anyway is a direct violation of the establishment clause. Any Mouse House Park is primarily designed to sell Disney products. Huge difference.

and as to the jobs revenue and tax that the park is supposed to bring in are inventions of the note very at all report that Kenny boy is so keen to throw around.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 03:46:10 UTC | #585828

RW Millam's Avatar Comment 21 by RW Millam

I don't know. Maybe it would be a good thing if there were an ACCURATE biblical theme park -- complete with fathers preparing to sacrifice their kids, slaughter of the Canaanites every afternoon at 2:00, stoning disobedient children on the Temple steps every hour on the hour (there are lots of disobedient children), followed by burning a sacrificial goat at dusk (because it makes a pleasing odor, of course).

They could have Jonah's Vomiting Fish Lagoon, Sodom and Gomorrah Camel Ride (complete with authentic fire and brimstone), and of course Garden of the Talking Snakes. And I'm sure Leviticus Land would be a HUGE draw -- "This exhibit shows what happens when you wear a fabric of blended threads." "And over here is what happens to people who labor on the Sabbath (sorry, no one under 18 can be admitted - oh, what the hell - they need to see it too)." And let's not forget to sing along with that catchy new tune It's An Abomination After All ... It's An Abomination After All... C'mon, everyone sing!

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 04:07:22 UTC | #585830

E1skeptic's Avatar Comment 22 by E1skeptic

This is good news... I guess that there will be hundreds of ex-christians coming out of the park after watching dioramas and theatrical exhibits of a bear eating a bunch of children, or two daughters having sex with their dad, or some guy being stoned to death.

They will be presenting ALL the biblical stories, won't they?

Salud.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 04:25:38 UTC | #585833

zengardener's Avatar Comment 23 by zengardener

This isn't much of a stretch. Remember, churches get all kinds of tax breaks. Walmart gets these kinds of tax incentives. Theme parks get these tax breaks.

This issue came up in my home town.

At it's core, it is a question of free speech v. freedom of religion.

I heard a rumor that there was a church organization that met every Sunday in my local High School. Naturally I investigated. What I came to was this. If the community opens the government buildings for public use, it cannot then dictate how it will be used within certain parameters.

If the school makes the auditorium available for local acting troupes to put on King Lear, everything is well and good. If someone invites as astrophysicist to give a lecture on distant nebula, great. They cannot prevent someone from then inviting Ken Ham to explain how Noah fit all of those dinosaur eggs on the Ark and what they ate when they hatched.

BTW, no church group meets in the local school in my home town. Just a rumor.

The state provides tax incentives for businesses and theme parks if they will provide jobs. The bible book store gets the same treatment as the biology book store.

Personally, I would like to see tax incentives limited. At least the project should be a boon to society in more ways than to provide jobs. How would they feel if I opened the woulds largest and most diverse strip club? Sure it would provide jobs, but I don't think it would do more to enlighten society than a school of biology.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 04:30:21 UTC | #585836

RW Millam's Avatar Comment 24 by RW Millam

@E1skeptic

The "sex with dad" thing will be one of the final exhibits on my Sodom and Gomorrah Camel Ride -- "This Way To Incest Cave - Adults only - Extra admission $30.00 each, or $50.00 per male/female couple"

Edit -- You know, I'm starting to like this idea more and more. Who better to assemble objective, accurate, realistic depictions of biblical stories than a non-theist?

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 04:33:29 UTC | #585837

cixelsyd5's Avatar Comment 25 by cixelsyd5

I just happen to live in Ky. and I am OUTRAGED by this INSANE nonsense. My tax dollars going to help fund this bullsh*t? God, (no pun intended) I cannot wait to remove myself from this state. I am growing so tired of putting up with its ignorance.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 04:44:56 UTC | #585840

Atheist Mike's Avatar Comment 26 by Atheist Mike

This kind of rubbish seems to constitute the last bastion of defense of white american isolationists. I bet the persons who run these ridiculous organisations are not only religious crackpots but also racists, sexists, jingoists and most likely republicans. Good luck in getting rid of them.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 05:08:52 UTC | #585844

William T. Dawkins's Avatar Comment 27 by William T. Dawkins

I know! Let's build "The Land of OZ" next door! oops! Kansas tried that already. At least limit the age to those that are capable of seeing this as religious propaganda aimed at taking advantage of the peoples money during hard times.

William

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 05:32:47 UTC | #585849

Atheist Mike's Avatar Comment 28 by Atheist Mike

Most ridiculous ideas in america seem to stem from republican policies, it's as if you had an autist brother in the family (I apologize to autist persons for the analogy), you all know he's unusually stupid but you can't get rid of him, his deficiency is permanent and he's part of the family. Anyway, again good luck with that.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 05:34:52 UTC | #585850

thatgingerscouser's Avatar Comment 29 by thatgingerscouser

I can't WAIT until this Ark is built. I'm so going to turn up with a zoo load of animals (7 pairs of kosher, 1 pair others was it?) and attempt to get them all on board.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 06:36:46 UTC | #585868

Eyerish's Avatar Comment 30 by Eyerish

If they want to build it let them do it with their own money. Besides if Ken Ham thinks it is such a good idea then why need government money in the first place? Unfortunately I think he will probably be on a minor winner with people of ignorance flocking to see the so called 'facts' of the bible displayed for all to see and believe. They will of course take it as fact or evidence to justify their beliefs simply because someone built it. In fact I bet there will be some who go there; will believe that the ark displayed is the actual ark that Ken and his friends dug up.

The theme park is for profit - which let's face it. It is what the various religions have been doing for centuries. Religion is about taking money out of hands of people in return for an unprovable eternal life.

I will almost feel sorry for those who will gladly part with their hard earned dollars to visit this monument to their delusions. But then again there is a "sucker born every minute". It will take fleecing the flock to a new level.

Sun, 30 Jan 2011 06:47:34 UTC | #585872