← Brian Dalton on Mr. Deity Podcasts & the Morality of Atheism

Brian Dalton on Mr. Deity Podcasts & the Morality of Atheism - Comments

lotherius's Avatar Comment 1 by lotherius

Takes a bit of time self-aggrandizing before he gets to his point, but I did not expect anything else of Mr. Deity!

The point is something I feel very strongly about myself, but unfortunately those who need to hear it are not listening. They are busy being deluded by the dopamine boosting effects of their XTian music and group experiences, and mistaking that for the "holy spirit".

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 03:02:43 UTC | #586177

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 2 by huzonfurst

If you change "God's Will" to "God Swill" it makes a whole lot more sense.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 04:56:36 UTC | #586191

Flapjack's Avatar Comment 3 by Flapjack

Great speech by Brian.

On a related topic of 'christian morality' as set out in the bible, this expose of Stephen Green (leader of Christian Voice and the UK's answer to Fred Phelps) by his ex-wife was rather revealing and not for the faint-hearted.

I normally take the Daily Mail with a pinch of salt but the fact this is a first hand account gives it some credibility.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:07:03 UTC | #586224

ina.j's Avatar Comment 4 by ina.j

Off topic - the Google-ads I see on this video: "How to convert to Islam" and "Reunion with God" :)

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:28:27 UTC | #586227

phodopus's Avatar Comment 5 by phodopus

What an inspiring call to action, and from the very top, no less.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 10:58:51 UTC | #586240

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 6 by AtheistEgbert

"Oh Well" could equally apply to Quantum Physics.

I found the lecture somewhat aimed at children rather than adults. I also find the idea that America invented liberalism and democracy hilarious. "Oh Well."

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 12:46:33 UTC | #586263

zengardener's Avatar Comment 7 by zengardener

I also find the idea that America invented liberalism and democracy hilarious.

I would say "discovered", not invented. I would not claim to be the first. We had a good run and were adequate leaders for a time. Maybe we can make a comeback, but I'm not holding my breath.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 13:39:48 UTC | #586277

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 8 by AtheistEgbert

Comment 8 by zengardener :

I also find the idea that America invented liberalism and democracy hilarious.

You think America discovered liberalism and democracy? Are you serious?

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:39:30 UTC | #586338

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 9 by alaskansee

Zengardener

Way, way, way off the mark. This is the problem with being number 1, its so hard to see the people who were there first when youve spent the whole time gazing at your navel.

It still staggers me that anyone could think that they live in - the best country in the world - and time after time we hear the empty barrels. It takes a village to raise a child and whole country repeated brainwashing to think - we`re number one. This is exactly the sort of stupidity that makes people believe that their parents religion is the right one. Ha ha ha.

Don`t get me started on the American Dream either, just hurry up and fucking wake-up for the rest of us.

Not that that was what you said, but yes liberalism and democracy can never run for President of the US, they weren`t born there.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 23:37:32 UTC | #586498

Frankus1122's Avatar Comment 10 by Frankus1122

Excellent talk. The list of secular values versus Christian values is a clincher. The obviousness of the superior morality of secularists is made clear here. This truth needs further propagation.

Tue, 01 Feb 2011 02:27:30 UTC | #586529

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 11 by Peter Grant

Brilliant talk! It was also great to see him a bit more serious for a change. He's right, we do have the moral high ground.

Tue, 01 Feb 2011 14:36:11 UTC | #586661

zengardener's Avatar Comment 12 by zengardener

Comment 9 by AtheistEgbert

You think America discovered liberalism and democracy? Are you serious?

Yes. The U.S. is a democracy. It was liberal by world standards when it was established. The U.S. constitution inspired other countries around the world to adopt secular governments. Not the sole source of inspiration of course.

Comment 10 by alaskansee

Don't confuse me with the brain-dead "patriots" who think The U.S. was God's gift to the world, but if you cannot accept that the U.S. has done anything right then you are as blind as they are.

Tue, 01 Feb 2011 15:41:36 UTC | #586675

Anaximander's Avatar Comment 13 by Anaximander

"Oh Well" could equally apply to Quantum Physics.

Oh Well ;)

Tue, 01 Feb 2011 19:52:19 UTC | #586728

Hendrix is my gOD's Avatar Comment 14 by Hendrix is my gOD

Democracy was first introduced in ancient Greece and was further refined as representative democracy by the Roman Republic. Neither of these were democratic nor liberal by today's standards. Slavery was practiced and accepted. Women had no rights and a citizen of Rome had privileged status solely for the city of their birth, while the entire empire was under the rule of the republic. The republic was forcefully overthrown by the totalitarian emperors and then the christian church emerged with its own totalitarian rule. The United States was founded during the Enlightenment when liberal and democratic thought was emerging in Europe and North America. The United States succeeded in a military victory to establish a new government, while Europe remained under the oppressive rule of monarchs. The U.S. constitution represented secular democratic ideals in principle, but the reality of life in this nation fell far short of that with slavery, no rights for women, just to name a few. The democratic status of life in the U.S. or Europe and elsewhere has varied greatly. Today, Europe is largely secular, liberal and democratic despite many nations having an official state religion and several formal monarchies. The United States, on the other hand, which is officially secular, today finds its constitution largely ignored by religious groups who hold great political power and are moving ever closer to creating an actual theocracy.

Tue, 01 Feb 2011 22:21:58 UTC | #586759

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 15 by Starcrash

Yes. The U.S. is a democracy.

This is so far off the topic of the Mr. Diety Podcast, but I felt I still had to weigh in.

The U.S. is a Representative Republic. Remember the Pledge of Allegiance? "I pledge allegiance to the flag, of the U.S. of A., and to the republic for which it stands..."

I've heard that France invented democracy... I think it was in the movie "Talledaga Nights" :p Wikipedia agrees with Hendrix is my God on this one - it's from Greece.

Tue, 01 Feb 2011 22:56:38 UTC | #586768

zengardener's Avatar Comment 16 by zengardener

Thanks to all of you nit-pickers for the valuable, but unnecessary lessons. Lighten up.

I will be more careful in the future to fill my posts with more qualifying statements and use only the most precise and least ambiguous words that I can find.

Tue, 01 Feb 2011 23:15:39 UTC | #586774

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 17 by Starcrash

On topic, I can't believe Brian Dalton missed the punchline of "To Serve Man" so badly. The line is "To Serve Man... it's... it's a cookbook!". But he keeps talking about the bible as a cookbook and nobody there would know why unless they happened to have seen that Twilight Zone episode.

Tue, 01 Feb 2011 23:17:56 UTC | #586775

alaskansee's Avatar Comment 18 by alaskansee

@ Zengardener

Yea, we know you're a valuable contributor, I just get worked up about delusions, which I know don't effect you. Thanks Zen.

Fri, 04 Feb 2011 20:13:35 UTC | #588017