← PZ Myers Skepticon 3 & and brief encounter outside the conference

PZ Myers Skepticon 3 & and brief encounter outside the conference - Comments

Aerandir's Avatar Comment 1 by Aerandir

Sure he is an ignorant fool, but I wouldn't find enough self-confidence to say that to someone.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:15:30 UTC | #586330

Marc Country's Avatar Comment 2 by Marc Country

NOTE: Calling that guy an ignorant fool is not "an ad hominem" (as so many folks like to say), it is merely an accurate descriptor. Kudos to PZ for telling it like it is.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:21:49 UTC | #586331

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 3 by AtheistEgbert

These people are not forming their arguments in their heads, they're copying them from memory learned from previous people (This is sometimes the error of atheists too). There is no reasoning going on, just a wall of ignorance protected by the arguments of apologists who do not create rational arguments but rhetorical arguments to persuade people not to think.

These guys take enormous pride in their ignorance and arguments, because they're soldiers and pawns for the great community or family from which they belong.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:35:12 UTC | #586335

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 4 by Peter Grant

protester handing out Ray Comfort's version of Origin of the Species = ignorant fool

Should be fun to watch :D

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 16:56:39 UTC | #586346

TheRationalizer's Avatar Comment 5 by TheRationalizer

Sure he was an ignorant fool, but in saying so he made himself look bad.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:00:20 UTC | #586348

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 6 by Peter Grant

Comment 5 by TheRationalizer

Sure he was an ignorant fool, but in saying so he made himself look bad.

Depends on who's looking.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:05:55 UTC | #586350

Paul42's Avatar Comment 7 by Paul42

"I'm not for catholicism, I'm for christianity"...

Congratulations, you buffoon, best out loud laugh I've had today!

Love.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:50:39 UTC | #586366

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 8 by aquilacane

Comment 3 by AtheistEgbert

Agreed; although, I do borrow when it is suitable but not for every single thought I have. When it comes to BS, I always make up my own shit ; )

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 17:52:04 UTC | #586369

Neil5150's Avatar Comment 9 by Neil5150

Finding joy in others ignorance, seems to display an even greater ignorance. That "ignorant fool" was born an atheist. He isn't ignorant he is misinformed, I find that sad not funny.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:07:28 UTC | #586376

dansam's Avatar Comment 10 by dansam

What kills me is that the ignorant fool is spewing forth very very old arguments as if he just thought them up! It's like he read a pamphlet an hour ago and didn't spend 5 seconds researching the topic.

It was hard to watch. I'm embarrassed for him!

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:15:20 UTC | #586382

MikeJ's Avatar Comment 11 by MikeJ

This always bugs me: the (abbreviated) title is On the Origin of Species, not Origin of the Species.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:29:36 UTC | #586387

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 12 by Neodarwinian

Why is that ineffable ignorance accompanied by machine gun gum chomping? Drugs, perhaps?

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:32:18 UTC | #586388

CyrusSpitama's Avatar Comment 13 by CyrusSpitama

Goodness! I had no idea Myers was so brutal.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:40:26 UTC | #586391

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 14 by aquilacane

Whether by misinformation or a lack of suitable research, not knowing what you are talking about makes you ignorant. People don't like to be called ignorant. Perhaps next time he will research his arguments a bit.

The universe is trillions of years old... sorry but that has nothing to do with religion, that is plain ignorance. He could have said "I don't know how old the universe is but you claim it to be much older than the 10,000 years I believe it has been around (out of ignorance mind you)." That would not be an ignorant statement, that would be accurate.

Ignorance isn't a good or bad word it is a statement of knowledge, just as short would be a statement of height. I'm very ignorant and most people here would be right to call me ignorant on most of the topics we discuss. I know what ignorance means and I know it is correctly applied to me when I babble about crap I don't understand or have any true knowledge of. That won't keep me from spewing the odd word here or there but it might make me try harder to understand what I am discussing if I don't want to be called ignorant.

Fear of being an outcast is a major reason many people follow along with religion, I am guessing. It may take the same type of fear to put them on the track to knowledge, even if knowledge isn't their goal.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 18:43:09 UTC | #586392

crookedshoes's Avatar Comment 15 by crookedshoes

To be chanted like in Bloodsport.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:09:01 UTC | #586402

drhat's Avatar Comment 16 by drhat

What kills me is his chewing gum vigor that gets worse and worse the more desperate he gets to sound clever and sharp. Hes standing there thinking "What now smarty pants? Got ya don't we?".

No you don't - In fact I think calling you "an ignorant fool" is mild when you have the nerve to stand around, handing out such grotesque versions of darwin's theory of evolution, and then the first thing you have to say about the theory is you mention "chance". For the quantazillionth time (yes a number that requires quantum physics ..I made it up just now) , evolution is not the lottery, evolution is gradual process of natural selection..there is no chance involved, there is "survival of the fittest".

If your gradual mutation over several thousand years didn't equip you to survive in the long run, guess what? You don't get to survive as a species.

And also "Baptist Lutheran" ...What the hell is that?? Is this guy serious? Hes just picking up words PZ said earlier and jumbling them together as he pleases. And then he adds "Protestant" at the end of that phrase...baptist lutheran protestant. What? Even "Lutheran Protestant" ...really? Lutheran Protestant? As opposed to?...

As well as talking about "complex cells" - I have severe doubts he even knows what constitutes a cell in the first place.

And finally "Why are you doing this" ...We know what answer he wanted. He wanted PZ to say "To provoke" or to "attack the church". He wanted a concession that all this was, was some bunch of immature frauds who got together to spread hate towards the church. People like him are the reason the "facepalm" move were invented.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:16:05 UTC | #586404

DefenderOfReason!'s Avatar Comment 17 by DefenderOfReason!

Comment 15 by crookedshoes :

PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ PZ.... To be chanted like in Bloodsport.

HAHA! Awesome!

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:26:49 UTC | #586413

bethe123's Avatar Comment 18 by bethe123

We are all ignorant, only in different areas.

Calling somebody an ignorant fool based on the evidence I saw in that video is not something I would be so quick to do. Ignorant and misinformed is given, but a fool?

I can imagine the young man did not have the advantage of a superior education and did not have the advantage of associating with some of the keenest minds around, as PZed has. But while the young man lacks academic knowledge, he had the wisdom to not strike back at PZed's statement and he demonstrated admirable self-composure. And that was not foolish.

Calling somebody a fool and defending it by saying the greatest courtesy I can offer is being honest is not, in my opinion, something we expect from a truly educated person.

Shakespeare long ago remarked:

Every man has his fault, and honesty is his. He is more honest than wise. --Shakespeare

One is not required to be brutally honest in every situation. I don’t think the young man a fool. In any event, I would have preferred a more Socratic approach.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:34:51 UTC | #586416

Corey Hill's Avatar Comment 19 by Corey Hill

Is that charls Darwin at the front?

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:36:24 UTC | #586417

josephor's Avatar Comment 20 by josephor

If there is anything I hate more than Atheists its Catholics.....splitters. The life of Brian is an inspiration to us all.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:44:46 UTC | #586419

Hendrix is my gOD's Avatar Comment 21 by Hendrix is my gOD

Ignorant fools don't deserve respect. Truth and scientific knowledge should be defended from the outright liers that continuously attack it. PZ Myers is one such heroic defender of truth.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:45:02 UTC | #586420

sbrogdon's Avatar Comment 22 by sbrogdon

Our main problem is the fact that too many people are concerned with hurting others feelings. If you are wrong, you are wrong, plain and simple.

I think the more we all stand up against "ignorant fools" such as was in the video, the more we will see a decline in foolish religious ideas.

And I find it odd that religion is one of the only few areas where this occurs. We don't sit in a classroom and make an erroneous statement to a professor and he comes back and says " Oh, its okay, that is your opinion and I will view it with the same amount of merit as the facts". NO. The professor will be quick to tell you that you are wrong. If you continue to argue against the facts, then he will likely call you a fool, and rightly so.

To be ignorant of something is not a bad problem in and of itself. However, to be ignorant of something, in direct opposition of facts that are clearly laid out before you, is being a fool.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 19:53:45 UTC | #586425

CarlaTrumper's Avatar Comment 23 by CarlaTrumper

The "IGNORANT gum smacker" does not recieve nor deserve any respect for his uninformed rant to PZ (why is Hitler always brought up, find another point of reference christians). PZ had to call it as he saw it, rightfully so. Get'em PZ:)

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:13:00 UTC | #586429

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 24 by Peter Grant

Finally managed to watch the first video, especially liked PZ's last line:

"The the greatest courtesy I can show you is honesty."

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:15:40 UTC | #586431

JS24's Avatar Comment 25 by JS24

The gum chewing was rude, but I would wager that this guy will go back to his congregation and say how he was persecuted for his belief. Having grown up fundamentalist that was standard operating procedure for us. (Anything negative is seen a persecution and brings them closer to christ.) Based on this alone, I may have chosen different words, but maybe not. He was almost gleeful to have been called a fool; you could see the hampster turning to see how he was going to tell this story to his buddies.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:42:09 UTC | #586437

josephor's Avatar Comment 26 by josephor

It is impossible to tell how long it will take for reason to kill the faith virus.The faith virus has been around in its many mutated forms for a very long time.The faith virus has been killing and altering truth and reason by starving it of its host-humanity.Fear and ignorance is what the faith virus thrive upon. Reason and education will eventually destroy faith and superstition but it will take time.I am optimistic because it is becoming much more simple to spread information and much more difficult to censor on the internet.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 20:45:05 UTC | #586440

rrh1306's Avatar Comment 27 by rrh1306

There are public libraries all over America. The problem with this guy and people like him is that there intellectually incredulous, yet still hold strong opinions about subjects they know nothing about. What do you call a person who goes out and protests and advocates a disclaimer in a book about evolution, yet knows nothing about the subject he's protesting? I know it's a sad state of affairs. And it would be different if he was born a 100 years ago. But he lives in the age of the Internet.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:00:41 UTC | #586444

ColdThinker's Avatar Comment 28 by ColdThinker

PZ was probably right, it's a safe bet the christian guy is an ignorant fool. About great many things. And there's nothing wrong about hurting someone's feelings, if they have voluntarily come out of their way to demonstrate in front of a nice and peaceful meeting. He would have deserved to be insulted much more harshly.

But still, since this short video is the only evidence of this guy's knowledge, it would have been classier to call him an "ignorant fool about science". For all we know, the guy might be a great car mechanic. Or bass player. Or perhaps he knows all kinds of cute things about college football. Or model railways.

Odd that he chooses to argue about biology... with a professor of biology, of all people. Some cojones. Shame about the cerebro.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:02:39 UTC | #586446

phodopus's Avatar Comment 29 by phodopus

Tomorrow's Creation Weekly Headline:

Shocking confession on tape - Atheists admit: "World is NOT trillions of years old"

Boy is that gum chewing annoying. It also doesn't help make his words more intelligible. The best part is, "all this around you didn't just come about magically", and then arguing in favor of a creator from there. But there's at least one upside, chewing gum guy potentially learned something new there. The smart move would have been asking him what he does - biology - and then move the conversation towards cosmology. Still bound to fail, but it would at least have been a better tactic than running into the opponents open knife full speed.

Mon, 31 Jan 2011 21:22:45 UTC | #586452

rrh1306's Avatar Comment 30 by rrh1306

I wanted to post this because I think it's shares some interesting, and funny parallels with religious science deniers.

Preface. I went to youtube today because I wanted to hear the Nine Inch Niles version of the song "Hurt". I knew Trent Reznor wrote the original song but I had only heard the Johny Cash version. When I happened to look at the comments below, I noticed something strange. There were a bunch of Johny Cash fans that think he really wrote the song, and that there's a conspiracy to make it seem like Trent Reznor wrote it. Even though you can just go google it in 5 seconds there are still post like this.

@jessie1093 there is plenty of evidence to support the claim that Johnny Cash wrote the song hurt. There are multitude's of evidence on my channel which speaks to the matter at hand and proves, in my opinion, beyond a shadow of a doubt that Johnny Cash wrote the song hurt. Trent Reznor did not write it, he just made a horrendous and obnoxious cover. If you don't believe all the evidence on my channel, just do a simple google search and you will find plenty of evidence

Remind you of anyone?