← The Real Cost Of Religious Faith

The Real Cost Of Religious Faith - Comments

Kraid's Avatar Comment 1 by Kraid

Complete impartial take down.

That was absolutely brilliant.

Well done.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 00:56:29 UTC | #595784

Brendanm1234's Avatar Comment 2 by Brendanm1234

The caller was left speechless. Nice going Matt, props. This video deserves WAY more publicity.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 01:24:32 UTC | #595791

chawinwords's Avatar Comment 3 by chawinwords

How many times did the young man start his attempted answers with the word "well." That says a lot about belief with a foundation of hesitancy.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 01:24:46 UTC | #595792

A Posteriori's Avatar Comment 4 by A Posteriori

CRINGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 01:26:43 UTC | #595794

HappyPrimate's Avatar Comment 5 by HappyPrimate

Great show. I just hope there were many more of the faithful listening.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 01:38:44 UTC | #595798

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 6 by InYourFaceNewYorker

Haha, I heard this when it was live. I love these guys. I especially love it when Matt goes, "No no no! You're done!" When somebody proves to be an idiot.

Julie

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 01:43:36 UTC | #595800

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 7 by aquilacane

Full nelson tap-out. Embarrassing. Poor bugger, I feel for his loss... of words. But seriously, he never stood a chance and now his mind is fucked. Fucked I tell you!

Good show, I will catch it more often

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 02:14:26 UTC | #595804

Philster61's Avatar Comment 8 by Philster61

I really wish Matt would enter the debate circuit. He is eloquent and speaks very well. I would love to see him debate with people like Lane Craig and others.....

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 02:19:55 UTC | #595807

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 9 by Neodarwinian

Gotta have faith, miles and miles of faith!

Atheist experience; ever sharpening the arguments against faith heads.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 02:22:51 UTC | #595809

lloydy1's Avatar Comment 10 by lloydy1

I almost felt sorry for him, almost. A perfect example of trying to fight above your weight. That was excellent.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 02:23:02 UTC | #595810

TIKI AL's Avatar Comment 11 by TIKI AL

They may have over thought this would be "Deliverance" cast member.

I think they could have had him at "you could sleep in on Sundays".

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 02:26:22 UTC | #595811

helena!'s Avatar Comment 12 by helena!

Matt was so eloquent here. This show is not to be missed. My favourite is Jeff he really tells it straight up.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 02:35:43 UTC | #595812

Brendanm1234's Avatar Comment 13 by Brendanm1234

If anyone is interested in watching this show, it goes on every Sunday, the times/channel are on this site:

They also stream it on the site if you don't get the channel. Anyone can call in, its a really interesting show

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 03:05:52 UTC | #595816

event_horizon's Avatar Comment 14 by event_horizon

Very, very succinct.

A great display of reason and I dare say this guys respectful but firm delivery really made an impact on the caller.

Cheers,

EH

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 03:11:46 UTC | #595817

InYourFaceNewYorker's Avatar Comment 15 by InYourFaceNewYorker

I've called into this show a few times.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 03:20:16 UTC | #595818

hinterstella's Avatar Comment 16 by hinterstella

I'm from Austin (now living in Baltimore) and wanted to say that the AE show is really great and sometimes ,as in this case, quite moving.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 03:33:14 UTC | #595821

Overmann's Avatar Comment 17 by Overmann

Awesome show; I've known about it for years. I had the pleasure of meeting Matt Dillahunty at an atheist convention once. He continues to be very articulate and precise with his words.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 03:38:55 UTC | #595823

showmeproof's Avatar Comment 18 by showmeproof

Yes this guy did poorly. However, I let these poorly stated arguments roll off. Let their best explain the best they can. I'm not saying their best explanation will hold up, I'm just saying we should always argue against the strongest formulation of an opponents argument. Not sure what they think that is.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 03:59:26 UTC | #595827

fullyladenswallow's Avatar Comment 19 by fullyladenswallow

The Atheist Experience is a show I've been watching for several years now. This is an example of the show at it's absolute best, when the host gives the believer ample opportunity to state, as Matt D. does here, what the caller believes and why.

Another beautifully handled exchange Atheist Experience show #693 (in 2 parts) came a couple of shows back where Tracie Harris responds to a caller from what sounded like the same congregation as this one. The caller, at the end of the exchange, actually sounds as if he was enlightened a little.

A really excellent program to view.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 04:11:28 UTC | #595829

reebus's Avatar Comment 20 by reebus

That was very moving and beautiful. Most poignant and perhaps even critically neccessary appeal to common humanity.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 04:17:33 UTC | #595831

rjohn19's Avatar Comment 21 by rjohn19

Showmeproof- The only differences between their best arguments and this guy's case are grammar and volume. Their best debaters have always thought the louder one states one's position the better it will sell.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 04:40:29 UTC | #595835

Sajanas's Avatar Comment 22 by Sajanas

Impressive... it reminded me of the Hitchens vs Berlinski debate a little... strong arguments with good rhetoric vs a meandering person who believes a lot, but has little at all to back that it up besides raw conviction. I can imagine the caller spent all of his time talking with other people in his congregation about this stuff, and never put himself in the atheist's shoes, about how the Bible would look to someone who hadn't had it since birth, or just how exactly the various magics of Christ worked, or what they implied. I just hope he actually listened... so often religious people just seem to space out when you talk to them, even the 'liberal' ones. The write you off as 'oh, more atheist talk' and don't try to listen or think about things. It really bothers me... how can you not be interested in this stuff, and if you have to blind yourself to keep your faith, is it really worth it?

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 05:36:07 UTC | #595844

Steve Hanson's Avatar Comment 23 by Steve Hanson

Holy shit, that was the most brilliant Youtube video I have ever seen!

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 05:45:15 UTC | #595848

MetalMons's Avatar Comment 24 by MetalMons

awesome, just.....awesome!

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 05:54:08 UTC | #595851

superbeanson's Avatar Comment 25 by superbeanson

@ 10:05 We're not holding your sandwich ransom for Jesus

lol of the morning

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:05:46 UTC | #595853

Rationem's Avatar Comment 26 by Rationem

Comment 19 by fullyladenswallow :

A really excellent program to view.

To my ear, it sounds like exactly the same caller(it's the repeated exhaling that gives him away). I have to say I think he not only has difficulty in understanding their ideas, but also the actual words they are using; he actually said "you use´╗┐ really big words when you talk" in response to Tracie saying "demonstration of a justification of your belief."

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 06:05:53 UTC | #595854

Quine's Avatar Comment 27 by Quine

Great job by Matt! He said one of my favorite phrases: "reasonable expectations based on evidence." I have found that that will pull the rug of "faith" right out from under the typical believer. They are conditioned to accept that "faith" is an unconditionally good thing, and when someone effectively challenges that, as Matt does, it opens them to thinking that they have never experienced. Some run from the consequences, but some do go away and start thinking.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 07:27:35 UTC | #595861

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 28 by Richard Dawkins

This was a brilliant performance by the man you are all calling Matt. Simply great, deserves to go viral.

It is evident that American readers of this website know who he is and have seen him before. Could somebody please enlighten the rest of us about him, and the other guy with him, and their show called the Atheist Experience? I'd like to learn more about them, maybe get in touch with him. Does anybody know where the Atheist Experience is based? Is it on a television station somewhere? Or just on the web?

Richard

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 07:41:28 UTC | #595863

JuJu's Avatar Comment 29 by JuJu

Even though the caller was speechless at the end, I know what he was thinking.

"OH MY GOD, I'M AN ATHEIST!" click

One down, billions to go.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:01:37 UTC | #595865

Stevehill's Avatar Comment 30 by Stevehill

@RichardDawkins

The screen grab above gives a phone number!

I'm sure they'd be over the moon if you called them up.

Fri, 25 Feb 2011 08:04:28 UTC | #595866