← The trouble with Christianity

Daniel Williams's Avatar Comment 1 by Daniel Williams

The trouble with Christianity

It's all lies.

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:09:31 UTC | #616151

Daniel Williams's Avatar Comment 2 by Daniel Williams

Christianity that is.......

The video on the other hand is outstanding.

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:10:12 UTC | #616152

Jim2's Avatar Comment 3 by Jim2

Pat. Keep ' um coming. I love your videos. You say what I would like to say so eloquently.

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:12:45 UTC | #616153

Sarek's Avatar Comment 4 by Sarek

Keep up the good work, Pat.

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:14:48 UTC | #616156

redakota's Avatar Comment 5 by redakota

So glad to see him on richarddawkins.net

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:23:46 UTC | #616160

Dirty Kuffar's Avatar Comment 6 by Dirty Kuffar

Well said again Pat - keep 'em coming !

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:24:06 UTC | #616161

jel's Avatar Comment 7 by jel

"The Trouble with christianity"

Well, where does one start? The fact that it's all made up bullshit? Let's face it, evolution disproves Adam & Eve which therefore disproves original sin which obviates the need for a "saviour" which means that jesus's death (and supposed coming back to life) have no relevance which pretty much means that christianity is total and utter bollocks.

As for the trinity, this is supposed to be a monotheistic religion unlike all those other pagan religions with their boss god, lesser gods and even lower gods yet what do we see here? A boss god that's not one god but 3 gods with lesser gods (angels, cherubim, seraphim etc.) and even lower gods (saints, apostles etc.). Looks pretty much like the old style Roman, Greek, Egyptian etc. religions to me, just changed the names around again.

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 17:27:43 UTC | #616163

ajcimini's Avatar Comment 8 by ajcimini

Twenty years ago this video would have pissed me off. Ten years ago it would have given me pause and caused me to question my firmly held beliefs. Now I am encouraged to know that there are intelligent and courageous members of the human race willing to put themselves "out there", risking criticism and attack. My personal evolution away from faith mirrors, hopefully, humanity's narrowing and ultimate removal of gods and superstitions.

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 18:03:12 UTC | #616170

Murtaugh7's Avatar Comment 9 by Murtaugh7

Good work ma man. Molto bene! (very good)

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 18:20:23 UTC | #616176

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 10 by Richard Dawkins

Excellent, as ever.

Richard

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 18:27:19 UTC | #616181

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 11 by Peter Grant

Like the black t-shirt Pat :D Awesome as always, love your podcasts.

Is there a blog or something where I can also read these in text form?

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 18:39:11 UTC | #616192

Crimbly's Avatar Comment 12 by Crimbly

I showed this to my Christian friends just now. They watched it all, and it was amusing and slightly worrying to watch the facial expressions of anger, disgust and puzzlement all manifest at once. It's quite a sight.

They're still all Christian, I have to say. Tertiary-educated, career-focused, intelligent and wise Christians. When you can rationalize cognitive dissonance on that level, you're sorted for life.

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 18:40:03 UTC | #616193

sbooder's Avatar Comment 13 by sbooder

Pat, that is the best one yet!

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 18:42:55 UTC | #616196

GBile's Avatar Comment 14 by GBile

Mr Condell,

Speaking out like you do, is what it is all about. Confront the nonsense, make people consider their opinions once again, you do this in a convincing way. Please keep making these video's.

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 18:57:04 UTC | #616210

bendigeidfran's Avatar Comment 15 by bendigeidfran

I think he could say nastier things more nicely. Like the opposition. If he wants to 'convert' anyone that is. The trinity riff was good - there are certainly many sheeple who have not been told when various things were made up. He did that well. Half the verbal and most of the non-verbal is not very seductive. He could do with a better signing off than 'Peace' and the 'V' too.

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:00:07 UTC | #616212

Reverend B. Worthington's Avatar Comment 16 by Reverend B. Worthington

I don't consider the Trinity that difficult to understand.

This page, for example, offers a very simple and clear explanation of the matter:

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:02:31 UTC | #616214

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 17 by Neodarwinian

" Satan is my savior, not jebeus. " Good enough for me. That gather and burning stick thing rings just as true about jebeus as anything else in the bible. ( Though I can't remember which one of the " disciples " wrote that )

An excellent trinity explanation Reverend.

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:22:41 UTC | #616221

Doonhamer's Avatar Comment 18 by Doonhamer

I always find him a bit of a knob, but I really liked this one.

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 19:39:55 UTC | #616234

Durian's Avatar Comment 19 by Durian

Keep em coming, Pat!

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 20:24:45 UTC | #616250

Stonyground's Avatar Comment 20 by Stonyground

Why do we need evolution to disprove Adam and Eve? The story has talking animals, magic trees and a plethora of contradictions. Only an idiot would believe it, the problem being that the world is full of idiots.

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 20:30:31 UTC | #616253

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 21 by xmaseveeve

Comment 15, Bendi,

'He could do with a better signing off than 'Peace' and the 'V' too.'

No, no, no! I love it. I watch Pat's videos on Atheist Media and I love him. The wee sign off is comforting, as if he's talking just to me, like Dave Allen's 'May your god go with you'. It gives me a hug through the screen, especially when he's been beautifully angry about something, and I've agreed, with knobs on. (This video was subdued!)

Don't change a thing Pat. You remind me of the great Clive James. You are cool and hot.

If anyone hasn't watched the superb burka rant, it is pure poetry. Bloody 'traitors to their gender' - yes, I couldn't agree more. The burka makes traitors of us all.

Pat points and sings, 'The king is is the altogether.....'

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 20:48:00 UTC | #616267

bendigeidfran's Avatar Comment 22 by bendigeidfran

Comment 21 by xmaseveeve

Oooh! Dave Allen. Now I know you're mixed up - He actually was a comedian.

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 20:50:48 UTC | #616269

ridelo's Avatar Comment 23 by ridelo

I opt for hell. All the interesting people ought to go there. No heavenly North Korea for me, thank you! But I'm afraid I'll be disappointed. There will be no hell. But, oh yes, being dead is the same as not being disappointed, or anything else, for that matter.

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 22:47:32 UTC | #616307

Nordic11's Avatar Comment 24 by Nordic11

I have an honest question to ask you all (I do not intend any sarcasm). I discovered this website a couple of weeks ago, and it's content is much different than I expected. You spend a lot of time ridiculing religion (conservative Christianity in particular), and each time someone posts some embarrassing story about a church or a believer, everyone pulls out their talking snake jokes and then piles on about how believers are such idiots. I know we believers have a lot of clout in this world, but this constant stream of ridicule doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.

So here’s my question. Why do you devote so much time and energy derailing nonsense that none of you believe instead of developing your own belief system? What’s your vision for humanity, for our species? Do you really believe humans will evolve out of a belief in the supernatural, and if so, what then? What does atheism have to say about the environmental apocalypse we’re edging toward? I understand that I’m the last person who should be telling you how to run your business, but atheism also has some serious shortcomings, and I guess I expected in-depth discussions that explored and worked out the core values and tenets of atheism, but I don’t really see that going on here. In the churches I’ve been a part of, Christians spend a lot of time helping each other understand the difficult concepts and problems with our faith, and we spend very little time harping on the problems with atheism. I guess I wonder why you guys do not do the same?

Again, I don’t mean to offend; I just trying to understand what you’re thinking.

Sat, 16 Apr 2011 23:41:34 UTC | #616320

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 25 by Steve Zara

I can only speak for myself, but I am developing my own belief system. It has been an extremely exciting 4-5 years since I started to read this site and post. I have changed my views significantly, and I'm now developing philosophical and ethical ideas (as an enthusiastic amateur) based on the merits of atheism and materialism, and in doing so I have learned so much that is new and intellectually challenging

There is no need to evolve - this is happening in many places right now. In the UK, religious belief is at an all-time low, and there are countries where atheism is extremely common (such as Sweden). Sweden is hardly a country of rampant immorality and nihilism, is it?

Atheism itself doesn't say anything. It's not a system of beliefs. However not having a belief in gods reveals to us that it is our responsibility to deal with the world, and that we should ignore the silly and dangerous beliefs of some theists who insist that God will sort it all out.

Sun, 17 Apr 2011 00:02:07 UTC | #616326

xmaseveeve's Avatar Comment 26 by xmaseveeve

Comment 24, Nordic,

We talk about everything on here. You need to look through the archives. I suggest that you start with the wonderful 'Elephant in the Room' thread, since you claim that there were eyewitnesses to Jesus the Zombie. There are several Christians in the debate. Enjoy.

Sun, 17 Apr 2011 00:05:56 UTC | #616328

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 27 by God fearing Atheist

Comment 24 by Nordic11 :

That is because atheism is the rejection of belief in god(s). That is the only common ground.

Ridiculing religion gives an escape for atheists living in theist environments (US bible belt) who feel like they are the only one until they find this community.

If you stick around you will find many discussions on science. I guess about 15% of the regular posters on this site have doctorates or advanced degrees and you will pick up all kinds of snippets of scientific information you will find no where else except perhaps in a university canteen.

There are often discussions on other issues important to society. Because the common interest is usually only science and a lack of belief in gods, opinions vary widely. You mentioned the environment. There have been many discussions here. They usually get very heated. It was fun to watch a climate change denier getting eaten by a NASA planetary scientists. Well, it was to start with; it went on, and on, and on ...

Sun, 17 Apr 2011 00:16:08 UTC | #616330

Zelig's Avatar Comment 28 by Zelig

Keep up the good work, Pat.

Get him on QT, Dimbleby would have a fit! The NUS would be protesting outside the studio. Vince Cable would be informing us that he's "causing division". Peter Hain would label him a "fascist". Cameron and Glegg would say the BBC was "very unwise" to invite him. The Archbishop of Canterbury would write a letter of complaint to the Times warning against the dangers of "populism". Charlie Brooker, David Mitchell, and Stephen Fry would (after much soul searching) start a twitter campaign called: "Shame on you, BBC!". The MCB would remind everyone that Condell hasn't read the Koran in Arabic, so nothing he says on Islam has any validity. Robert Winston would question Condell's mental health, seeing him as a vortex of unjustifiable and misplaced "anger". Andrew Marr would threaten to hand back (an undisclosed) portion of his £600,000 salary in disgust. Theresa May would ask the police to investigate Condell for promoting "hate speech" . . . etc

Isn't freedom wonderful?

Sun, 17 Apr 2011 00:25:31 UTC | #616331

Scruddy Bleensaver's Avatar Comment 29 by Scruddy Bleensaver

Comment 24 by Nordic11 :

Because atheism is no more and no less than the absence of a belief in god(s). There isn't a whole lot to talk about, just like a discussion group dedicated to the fictitious "hobby" of not collecting stamps wouldn't draw a lot of lively discussion about the merits of not collecting stamps or advice on how to keep from collecting the little things.

The problem is that many of us atheists live in societies where religion is thrust upon us all the time. You might not see that, not being one. Religious beliefs threaten education, science funding, women's healthcare, politics, even the lives of people that it disapproves of. Those are among the kinds of things we talk about here. Sometimes we can't help but talk about how silly it all is, just like you might after having visited Haiti, for example, tell your friends back home about how bizarre voodoo rituals are. Also, believers come on sites like this all the time to tell us we're all going to Hell if we don't read their particular book, and you can imagine what we think of that. Today is a particular example of that phenomenon.

But there are lots of interesting discussions going on here all the time on science, philosophy, politics, technology. Just look around.

Sun, 17 Apr 2011 00:32:16 UTC | #616333

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 30 by Ignorant Amos

Comment 24 by Nordic11

By poking holes in the scripture of religious beliefs, it can show the casual observer or fence sitter or lurkers as they are known, some of the problems that they may well be unaware of, or have forgotten. I'll give you an example:-

Can God do anything?

Well most people would say yes, even those who believe it to be a myth would say the mythical god can do anything, but few have read the bible, instead preferring to believe the cherry picked bits they have been brainwashed with as young children. But the scripture contradicts itself. What are we to make of that? God, while dictating his divine message got confused and forgot that he'd said he could do anything? Or is it as we suspected all along, and the stories are the concoction of fallible men, written down thousands of years ago?

Hebrews 6:18
It was impossible for God to lie.

Or

Luke 1:37
For with God nothing shall be impossible.

You see if any part of the text is not to be taken seriously, then how does anyone know which bits are to be taken seriously, if any? It's at this point the whole house of cards becomes unstable. The more religious types that arrive at RD.net intent to preach the same old, same old, that are hoist by their own petard, the better chance that someone might leave here thinking.

Now that sort of thing has to get anyone with a brain to contemplate a wee bit.

Okay, the talking snake, man from dirt, woman from rib, etc, etc, is a bit piss taking. But it's still fair game. You can't believe such nonsense to have actually happened and expect to be taken with any credibility. When the Genesis story is shown to be fictitious, then where does that leave Christianity?

Sun, 17 Apr 2011 03:01:09 UTC | #616351