← [UPDATE 4/20] Richard Dawkins Global Atheist Convention 2010

[UPDATE 4/20] Richard Dawkins Global Atheist Convention 2010 - Comments

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 1 by RichardofYork

Excellent . Thank you Richard

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 04:38:55 UTC | #617351

thatgingerscouser's Avatar Comment 2 by thatgingerscouser

Richard! Quit with the sexist pronouns!!

[0:17:15] Is totally and utterly wasting their time.

Otherwise 10/10. Carry on!

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 05:06:50 UTC | #617352

Steven Mading's Avatar Comment 3 by Steven Mading

Comment 2 by thatgingerscouser :

Richard! Quit with the sexist pronouns!!

[0:17:15] Is totally and utterly wasting their time.

Otherwise 10/10. Carry on!

It is only in recent times that the word "their" has started to become acceptable to be used in the singular. It is technically a plural term and so people of Dawkins' generation were brought up to cringe at using it in the singular - it sounds like a grammatical error, like saying "He are happy to see you".

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 05:14:53 UTC | #617353

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 4 by Alternative Carpark

I had forgotten all about "Pope Nazi".

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 05:44:37 UTC | #617356

thatgingerscouser's Avatar Comment 5 by thatgingerscouser

You're absolutely right, of course. Dawkins should have made the sentence in the plural to begin with: "Chemists around the world... would be totally and utterly wasting their time". Keep everybody happy!!

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 05:46:35 UTC | #617357

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 6 by Peter Grant

Comment 3 by Steven Mading

I'm not of Dawkins' generation but I also find using "their" in the singular rather cringe-worthy. Will watch this later, tonight probably. Can't wait! :D

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 05:48:09 UTC | #617359

Murtaugh7's Avatar Comment 7 by Murtaugh7

Another homerun. Good job Mr. Dawkins

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 07:04:21 UTC | #617363

lewis.breland's Avatar Comment 8 by lewis.breland

Richard...I'm so glad you take note of homosexuals in so many of your lectures.

Lewis Breland Author of GET REAL: Why LGBT People Should Take A Stand Against Religion

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 07:20:23 UTC | #617364

jasonball88's Avatar Comment 9 by jasonball88

The full talk is also available to view on YouTube:

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 07:55:43 UTC | #617367

hiss's Avatar Comment 10 by hiss

Is the evolution video shown at the beginning available in it's entirety anywhere?

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 08:03:08 UTC | #617368

lewis.breland's Avatar Comment 11 by lewis.breland

On another note, if I may...astounding. Simply revelatory and marvelous in every context of these words! There is new "material," if you will, for anyone to view. Simple, clear and in context! You have, Prof. Dawkins, what it takes to make THE difference. Cheers and bravo!

• Lewis Breland
  • Wed, 20 Apr 2011 08:08:16 UTC | #617369

jasonball88's Avatar Comment 12 by jasonball88

Also, there will be another convention in Melbourne in April 2012:

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 08:13:55 UTC | #617370

jasonball88's Avatar Comment 13 by jasonball88

Comment 10 by hiss :

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 08:28:11 UTC | #617372

liq's Avatar Comment 14 by liq

Comment 10 by hiss :

Pretty good song as well.

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:02:08 UTC | #617378

Inquisitor Mence's Avatar Comment 15 by Inquisitor Mence

Superb!

For my 'sins' I must admit I has stopped paying as much attention to RD's talks as much of it seemed to be covering the same ground (for good reasons of course), but this had a lovely new twist that really got my brain sparking. I'm sure Mr Dennett will approve of this line of explanation :)

Thank you yet again Richard.

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:16:46 UTC | #617382

andersemil's Avatar Comment 16 by andersemil

Finally, a conference video in superb quality! What a joyful experience! Also a very good talk, by the way ;-)

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 09:33:27 UTC | #617383

hiss's Avatar Comment 17 by hiss

This is a hugely entertaining and enlightening speech. Richard gives a clever response to the questioner who asks when we will be able to criticise Islam without threatening our existence. I had never seen the Fat Boy Slim video before - thanks for the YouTube link. Does anyone know how accurate it is?

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:56:46 UTC | #617402

Quetzalcoatlus's Avatar Comment 18 by Quetzalcoatlus

The Fat Boy Slim video is nice, but it is not accurated at all. Anyway it is fun to watch.

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 11:03:44 UTC | #617405

scattering-like-light's Avatar Comment 19 by scattering-like-light

Great talk and answers to questions - most enjoyable...

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 12:47:31 UTC | #617431

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 20 by Nunbeliever

Richard! Quit with the sexist pronouns!!

You are kidding right? Please tell me you are...

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:29:42 UTC | #617451

thatgingerscouser's Avatar Comment 21 by thatgingerscouser

Comment 20 by Nunbeliever :

You are kidding right? Please tell me you are...

Oh come on, in my edition of The Selfish Gene, Dawkins actually laments his use of 'sexist pronouns' - his words not mine! - in the updated preface. He started it...!!

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 13:37:56 UTC | #617457

green and dying's Avatar Comment 22 by green and dying

Comment 6 by Peter Grant :

Do you even notice it when people use it in everyday speech? If you know exactly what they mean, what's the problem?

It's absolute second nature to me and it would take actual effort to remove it from my speech and to remove the singular meaning of "they" from my head. It serves a definite purpose in my vocabulary. I don't get why you wouldn't just add it to your vocabulary if it isn't already there.

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:00:17 UTC | #617469

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 23 by Nunbeliever

Yes, still this kind of nit-picking is just nonsense in my opinion. Until they come up with a good gender neutral noun in singular I am going to continue using he or she interchangeably. I have read some feminist essays where the author changed all nouns to 'person' or wrote he/she every time and it just became a mess! Yes, it is often possible to state a sentence in a gender neutral way. The problem is that a neurotic pursuit of gender neutrality often leads to absurd use of language. The english language is not all that gender neutral to be honest. And yes, by time we should try to change this. But, picking out single words from a speech in this way is not the right way to do it. That's just being ridiculous. First, I thought your comment was sort of toungue-in-cheek. But unfortunately it seems like you are really serious about this...

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:08:50 UTC | #617475

awb's Avatar Comment 24 by awb

Comment 2 by thatgingerscouser :

Richard! Quit with the sexist pronouns!! [0:17:15] Is totally and utterly wasting their time.

The printed press does a fine job of butchering the language. We don't need to further the cause with a deliberate error simply to address a perceived slight.

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:29:18 UTC | #617484

El Bastardo's Avatar Comment 25 by El Bastardo

An excellent talk, and quite right to smack down the sheer rudeness of those who jeered a woman simply for admitting she is religious.

Oh, and I really loved the shirt too.

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:31:34 UTC | #617487

green and dying's Avatar Comment 26 by green and dying

Okay I'm a couple of minute in and I have been asking people that question about whether one twin would be you for years and no one even understands the question I'm asking! I guess I ask it badly, but if someone has the answer can I have it please.

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 14:41:07 UTC | #617494

David-in-Toronto's Avatar Comment 27 by David-in-Toronto

Comment 3 by Steven Mading :

In Wiki’s article on the singular they, it’s mentioned that Shakespeare, Austen and Shaw employed the usage. So it’s not just “recent times.”

;-)

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:22:04 UTC | #617515

justinesaracen's Avatar Comment 28 by justinesaracen

Love the shirt.

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 16:24:20 UTC | #617537

meticulotar's Avatar Comment 29 by meticulotar

Excellent talk. Possible reasons why we have religion, 'gratitude in a vacuum', I find very convincing and clearly explained.

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:15:12 UTC | #617592

nancynancy's Avatar Comment 30 by nancynancy

Great lecture. I loved it.

Wed, 20 Apr 2011 19:20:50 UTC | #617596