← A.C. Grayling interviewed by Stephen Colbert

A.C. Grayling interviewed by Stephen Colbert - Comments

Tryphon Tournesol's Avatar Comment 1 by Tryphon Tournesol

@comment1... joined: 14 minutes ago. right. get a life. Flagged. Nice video in content btw, not so sure about the presentation.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 14:57:35 UTC | #620262

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 2 by RichardofYork

Hmm not available in my area , shame , I like Colbert and I like AC as well.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 15:06:22 UTC | #620267

RichardofYork's Avatar Comment 3 by RichardofYork

BTW Dont Feed The Troll

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 15:07:10 UTC | #620268

Czar's Avatar Comment 4 by Czar

I thought Stephen Colbert was very funny. Good video.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 15:14:50 UTC | #620270

Pecksniff's Avatar Comment 5 by Pecksniff

Remember folks, if trolls are attracted to the site, it means the Creationists and ID supporters are so rattled and unhinged.

Sadly, the more trolls we get here, the more successful we are. Ironic, really.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 15:19:48 UTC | #620275

Tryphon Tournesol's Avatar Comment 6 by Tryphon Tournesol

RichardofYork, I sort of agree :) sorry

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 15:22:43 UTC | #620276

MadEd's Avatar Comment 7 by MadEd

Wish I could get it in the UK, ho hum.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 15:26:30 UTC | #620277

weavehole's Avatar Comment 8 by weavehole

You may be interested to know that A C Grayling is one of 500 or so people whose Desert Island Discs have been released by Radio 4 as a series of podcasts.

(Not too surprising to hear that he was happy with the KJV and it's "beautiful language" but who would have guessed that one of his favourite bands is Cradle of Filth?)

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:03:17 UTC | #620282

Scoundrel's Avatar Comment 9 by Scoundrel

sure you can :P

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:06:59 UTC | #620283

GregGorey's Avatar Comment 10 by GregGorey

Colbert referred to professor Grayling as a "courageous man."

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:07:25 UTC | #620284

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 11 by Neodarwinian

The plumbing bible! I wonder if someone would kill over such a bible?

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:07:25 UTC | #620285

Erik Andreas's Avatar Comment 12 by Erik Andreas

I understand that these interviews are supposed to be light and funny, but jeez.. Colbert has got the rest of the show to speak. Why not let a great intellectual speak more than one sentence at a time? Almost a bit uncomfortable that interview, in my opinion.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:14:20 UTC | #620286

neil pharr's Avatar Comment 13 by neil pharr

1st neohumanist priciple: Live in such a way as to cause the least amount of suffering to other living beings.

a very good start on human value

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:20:12 UTC | #620287

neil pharr's Avatar Comment 14 by neil pharr

a very good start on human value

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:20:41 UTC | #620288

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 15 by Cook@Tahiti

Comment 13 by Erik Andreas :

He's always been a clown. It's not that kind of show. That was relatively sympathetic and Grayling gets a plug. If you want to watch earnest protracted in-depth conversations with intellectuals, throw out your TV and watch webcasts of lectures, debates, book launches, etc on your computer.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 16:23:47 UTC | #620290

PhilippSpalting's Avatar Comment 16 by PhilippSpalting

"It's not that kind of show."

That doesn't excuse the obnoxiousness.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:14:11 UTC | #620303

BanJoIvie's Avatar Comment 17 by BanJoIvie

"Without a moral absolute, all bets are off. It's just all hookers and blow." - Stephen Colbert

Wow. At last a theistic argument with some real weight!

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:15:19 UTC | #620304

Cook@Tahiti's Avatar Comment 18 by Cook@Tahiti

Comment 18 by BanJoIvie :

Wow. At last a theistic argument with some real weight!

Grayling should have replied...'and that would be bad...because?'

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:30:44 UTC | #620308

bash the bish's Avatar Comment 19 by bash the bish

As Harry hill would say- "FIGHT!!

Comment 3 by RichardofYork :

Hmm not available in my area , shame , I like Colbert and I like AC as well.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 17:38:02 UTC | #620310

The Plc's Avatar Comment 20 by The Plc

Comment 9 by weavehole :

Bloody hell.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:15:32 UTC | #620323

MAJORPAIN's Avatar Comment 21 by MAJORPAIN

That was great. I'm now a huge fan of AC. He's awesome!

Also, I'm tired, as an atheist, of being told it is "all hookers and blow" because or the life of me, I can't seem to get much of either.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:45:32 UTC | #620330

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 22 by Stafford Gordon

How frustrating!

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 18:51:41 UTC | #620331

zengardener's Avatar Comment 23 by zengardener

I think Steven is funny, and a wonderful satirist, but I always get a pain in the corner of my smile when I remember that he teaches Catholic Sunday school.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 19:05:28 UTC | #620339

Thurston's Avatar Comment 24 by Thurston

There are links to watch it in Britain from here: Stephen Colbert and AC Grayling

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 19:17:00 UTC | #620344

ZenDruid's Avatar Comment 25 by ZenDruid

Comment 17 by PhilippSpalting :

"It's not that kind of show."

That doesn't excuse the obnoxiousness.

You are evidently ignorant of The Colbert. For shame.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 19:21:32 UTC | #620347

ergaster's Avatar Comment 26 by ergaster

What surprises me the most about Grayling being on this show is that he is there at all. I never figured he was such a high profile author, thinking he only did some local radio in London and the occasional debate in England.

But good for him and all rationalists if Grayling soon becomes a well-known critic of irrationality as he very much deserves and keeps getting invited to tv-shows. Beware the fifth horseman, taking shrillness and stridency to another level!

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 19:37:58 UTC | #620355

Kernel's Avatar Comment 27 by Kernel

Grayling bores me, to be honest. He doesn't seem to have much originality. Was recently reading his "Very Short Introduction to Wittgenstein". He just "interprets" without ever trying to explore the possibility that Wittgenstein can be improved upon. That's not critical thinking and I'm not sure why people should be paid to merely "interpret" other thinkers, without ever adding anything new.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 20:13:26 UTC | #620369

KRKBAB's Avatar Comment 28 by KRKBAB

Comment 17 by PhilippSpalting "It's not that kind of show."

That doesn't excuse the obnoxiousness.

Yes it does.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 20:42:45 UTC | #620380

Thurston's Avatar Comment 29 by Thurston

Comment 9 by weavehole :

Grayling's DID is one of the most moving I have heard. His voice cracking when talking about his murdered sister is unbearably sad. Thank you for reminding me about the program.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 21:20:36 UTC | #620387

The Plc's Avatar Comment 30 by The Plc

Comment 28 by Kernel :

Huh? I've recently read that book and he gives a very critical review of both of Wittgenstein's philosophies after he presents them. If I can remember, he also criticises Wittgenstein's obnoxious personality as well.

Thu, 28 Apr 2011 22:05:46 UTC | #620407