← After the rapture

After the rapture - Comments

zeerust2000's Avatar Comment 1 by zeerust2000

Well, it's May 22nd here in Sydney. Hello?...................Anyone still out there?.........Hello?

Sat, 21 May 2011 22:40:01 UTC | #629283

rrh1306's Avatar Comment 2 by rrh1306

Maybe next time.

Sat, 21 May 2011 22:45:35 UTC | #629285

cyberguy's Avatar Comment 3 by cyberguy

Where's everybody gone?

Sat, 21 May 2011 22:49:45 UTC | #629287

nok's Avatar Comment 4 by nok

Oh, if only!

Sat, 21 May 2011 22:51:52 UTC | #629288

Steve Hanson's Avatar Comment 5 by Steve Hanson

~Oh my god, I was like, totally raptured. ~You wouldn't BELIEVE the kind of internet connection the Lord has. ~Heathens.

[~ is my sarcasm mark...just in case anyone is too dense to get that I was being sarcastic]

Sat, 21 May 2011 22:57:55 UTC | #629289

jameshogg's Avatar Comment 6 by jameshogg

Can't wait for 2012.

Sat, 21 May 2011 23:06:26 UTC | #629290

BloodywombatTSI's Avatar Comment 7 by BloodywombatTSI

That was funny!

Sat, 21 May 2011 23:10:02 UTC | #629293

helen sotiriadis's Avatar Comment 8 by helen sotiriadis

yes, it was funny -- but mostly i liked the thought of how better off we'd be if we stopped wasting our resources on crap.

Sat, 21 May 2011 23:24:19 UTC | #629294

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 9 by God fearing Atheist

Brilliant! ROTFL!

Sat, 21 May 2011 23:35:25 UTC | #629296

tboulay's Avatar Comment 10 by tboulay

I've been saying for days that the silver lining here would be, in one fell swoop, getting rid of all the people who actually believe in the rapture. .. talk about heaven.

Sat, 21 May 2011 23:38:13 UTC | #629300

Dave1949's Avatar Comment 11 by Dave1949

Excellent bit of p*ss taking!

Sat, 21 May 2011 23:40:24 UTC | #629301

Turboladdade's Avatar Comment 12 by Turboladdade

Seriously though, there aught to be a Carl Sagan-esque 24 hour science channel.

Sat, 21 May 2011 23:44:31 UTC | #629302

David Millar's Avatar Comment 13 by David Millar

Let the rationalisations commence!

Sat, 21 May 2011 23:50:35 UTC | #629304

sara g's Avatar Comment 14 by sara g

Gosh, so few of them made the cut.

Sat, 21 May 2011 23:56:45 UTC | #629307

Rary113's Avatar Comment 15 by Rary113

I'm caught between laughing and wishing it was true.

Sun, 22 May 2011 00:02:09 UTC | #629308

crusader234's Avatar Comment 16 by crusader234

Sun, 22 May 2011 00:07:30 UTC | #629309

FractalShift's Avatar Comment 17 by FractalShift

After waiting rapt with attention the whole day, it turns out that ...... god called it off at the last minute to reward the fundies for all their good-news-spreading! At least, that's what I think the excuse will be. Sweepstakes!

Sun, 22 May 2011 00:32:45 UTC | #629314

Kilian's Avatar Comment 18 by Kilian

I wonder what they gonna say to excuse this.

Anybody here from the U.S. can share with us how the Rapture developed in their town In case of living near of some congregation ready to be abducted by Horus-I mean Jesus!

Sun, 22 May 2011 00:37:45 UTC | #629315

chawinwords's Avatar Comment 19 by chawinwords

Wow, not a single post by "anonymous." So, do you reckon we got lucky with just one raptured?

Sun, 22 May 2011 00:48:12 UTC | #629316

John Yates's Avatar Comment 20 by John Yates

The Thinking Atheist is totally rad.

Sun, 22 May 2011 00:55:56 UTC | #629319

Michael Gray's Avatar Comment 21 by Michael Gray

I may just explode with a surfeit of schadenfreude!

Sun, 22 May 2011 00:58:51 UTC | #629321

rrh1306's Avatar Comment 22 by rrh1306

I live in the bible belt and everybody around here thought it was totally stupid to think the rapture was going to happen today. Even though many of those same people do think it's going to happen eventually. Maybe it was just the May 21 date that was stupid. If there's any Christian's out there I would be interested to hear a time when it would not be stupid to think that Christians were about to start floating into the sky?

Comment 18 by Kilian :

I wonder what they gonna say to excuse this.

Sun, 22 May 2011 01:27:10 UTC | #629326

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 23 by Peter Grant

That was brilliant, I watched it like ten times. Loved the dramatic build-up and then the profound disappointment at the end when the caller told him the Christians are all still here:

"Really, all of 'em?"

"Shit!"

Sun, 22 May 2011 01:29:07 UTC | #629327

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 24 by drumdaddy

I had a rupture today, does that count?

Sun, 22 May 2011 02:02:10 UTC | #629330

Quine's Avatar Comment 25 by Quine

Comment 21 by Michael Gray :

I may just explode with a surfeit of schadenfreude!

I want to do that, but am trying to resist. TheThinkingAtheist does a good production job on his videos and there are several that I like. At the same time this whole End of World (EoW) episode bothers me on the big picture level. I am very sorry for the people who got scammed. I am sorry about the bad things that unstable people have done because of this, and are likely to do in the next few days when it completely sinks in. But what I am really sorry about is the way societies all over the world give nonsense a pass so things like this will keep happening.

Is this a teaching moment? Is it time to get people all around to look at the origins of religious texts and come to understand that they are just what normally happens when the old oral traditions of long gone tribes get written down, and then changed through generations of copying and translating? These old stories may have some moral value to some people, but are not sources of future prediction.

So, does science v. religion in the classroom matter? Look at this case. The EoW prediction was worked out from the date of Noah. Even if you take the crazy "worked out" on faith, science shows that the story of Noah and The Flood could not have actually happened. This is not in the same epistemological class as trying to prove that someone's pet deity does not exist, this is about on the ground (and in the ground) facts and evidence. If you are properly educated about the science, you automatically know that someone coming along with a prediction based on what is demonstrably not true, is almost certainly working big scam.

What can we do? We can publisize the known tendency for EoW scams to keep popping up and try to get people to remember it can be as bad as Jonestown. We can publicize where the religious texts come from and show the flaws in claims of divine guidance. Don't give Bible or Koran quotes a pass, make the user produce evidence. How can we stop from being fooled again? TheThinkingAtheist would surely agree: we get people to THINK!

Sun, 22 May 2011 02:22:19 UTC | #629332

tboulay's Avatar Comment 26 by tboulay

Comment 22 by rrh1306 :

Ya, it's like the "sophisticated" Christians when they criticise people like this. I read from one of them, saying stuff to the effect that "this calculation he made was absolutely ridiculous" .. but then followed up with "the bible clearly states that not even Jesus will know when the end comes".. like that's any better.

It's like me walking into a hospital room where a woman is in a coma and saying "stand back everyone, I know what to do; in the book sleeping beauty it says that I can wake her with a kiss" .. only to be scoffed at and told i'm stupid because the book clearly states that I need to be prince charming for it to work.

Sun, 22 May 2011 02:24:11 UTC | #629333

vanillaeric's Avatar Comment 27 by vanillaeric

@rrh1306 The idea of a Rapture as described by Mr. Camping is really not accurate from a NT perspective (as far as what Jesus said and not Paul). Unfortunately, or perhaps fortunately for Christian bashers, many "believers" have never really read or studied the Bible or read any scholarly books on the topic of the NT.

So no...as a Christian I do no believe that people will be floating into the sky based on my (and respected NT scholars') view of this kind of event.

Sun, 22 May 2011 02:30:48 UTC | #629334

vanillaeric's Avatar Comment 28 by vanillaeric

No, actually it's more like someone going around with an uneducated view on the topic and comparing to whatever suits their comparison. Clearly it wouldn't matter what anyone said to you as you are approaching the discussion from the standpoint that Jesus doesn't exist or if he did he most certainly wasn't the messiah.

Have you actually read any books or articles at all from respected Christian authors or bibilical scholars to the same extent you've read the fine books by Mr. Dawkins? Seems to me that sophistication on a particular topic would require some kind of education about the topic or at least reviewing both sides of an argument before coloring one side with the stupid pencil.

Comment 26 by tboulay :

Comment 22 by rrh1306 :

Sun, 22 May 2011 02:36:08 UTC | #629338

EnchantedGrotto's Avatar Comment 29 by EnchantedGrotto

160km south of Waco, Texas.

Everybody still here. (afaik)

Sun, 22 May 2011 02:38:27 UTC | #629339

rrh1306's Avatar Comment 30 by rrh1306

Whether Christians float to heaven or not is not my problem with the idea of a rapture or Christianity for that matter. You're going to find you can only dial down the craziness of Christianity so much.

Comment 27 by vanillaeric :