← We Are Atheism Campaign

We Are Atheism Campaign - Comments

Cynthia Z's Avatar Comment 1 by Cynthia Z

Loved the campaign; not crazy about the logo. It is not only cliché, but also kind of contradictory, since each one of its little spread-armed, tightly-closed-legged and hand-holding human figure seem to have been taken directly out of a christian cross... or was that a kind of joke which I just missed?

Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:45:35 UTC | #863231

Delogic's Avatar Comment 2 by Delogic

I love how the previews of the three videos looks like serial killers.

Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:47:09 UTC | #863233

Eosimias's Avatar Comment 3 by Eosimias

I think one of the most important things we need to do is correct people when they misrepresent atheism.

For one, few people seem to even know the definition of the word. (Many dictionaries are even wrong about this!) "A" means "without." "Theism" means "belief in a deity." Therefore, atheism is simply a lack of belief in a deity -- rather than necessarily being the assertion that there is no God. I think most people who lack belief refer to themselves as agnostic, not knowing that you can be both atheist and agnostic. (There are also agnostic theists. Agnosticism isn't some kind of a middle ground between religion and nonreligion.)

Mon, 22 Aug 2011 16:48:16 UTC | #863234

Red Dog's Avatar Comment 4 by Red Dog

Comment 3 by Eosimias :

I disagree. You can't define the meaning of a word simply by analyzing its component parts. The usage is all important and the meaning of words is changing constantly. Consider the word pedophile. If you break it down into its component parts it just means someone who loves children. Obviously the actual meaning is radically different.

The way atheism is used in the works of Dawkins, Harris, etc. and what most people on this site and elsewhere mean by it is not just a neutral lack of belief in any God but an affirmative belief that there is no God.

Mon, 22 Aug 2011 17:14:23 UTC | #863241

Starcrash's Avatar Comment 5 by Starcrash

Comment 2 by Delogic :

I love how the previews of the three videos looks like serial killers.

Profile much?

I like the "A" graphic. And I like the idea... it feels like a response to (or rip-off of, depending on your semantics) the ...and I'm a Mormon campaign, which seems to be successful so far. I guess they're alright, though a 5-minute biography was too long for my attention span :(

Mon, 22 Aug 2011 17:16:15 UTC | #863242

Red Dog's Avatar Comment 6 by Red Dog

One suggestion for the logo: What if there were six people linked together and the colors of the six people were the colors of the LGBT rainbow flag? We are already borrowing the term "coming out" from that community and as I understand it the idea of the rainbow flag was to show that the LGBT movement was just a logical extension of other civil rights movements which is I think a reasonable message for atheists as well.

Mon, 22 Aug 2011 17:29:10 UTC | #863246

AtheistEgbert's Avatar Comment 7 by AtheistEgbert

I am an atheist, but don't feel the love from other atheists somehow. I love the logo, and good luck with the campaign.

Mon, 22 Aug 2011 17:38:47 UTC | #863247

kev_s's Avatar Comment 8 by kev_s

@Red Dog ... six people is a nice idea but then 5 make a pentagon ... that device used to call up the devil! wuuhhhhaaaahhaaahhhaaa!!

Mon, 22 Aug 2011 20:32:47 UTC | #863282

Luigi Vampa's Avatar Comment 9 by Luigi Vampa

The logo looks like five people worshiping a giant A...

Mon, 22 Aug 2011 20:36:08 UTC | #863284

John_Geeshu's Avatar Comment 10 by John_Geeshu

I don't think you're right about that Red Dog. TGD, as one example, is concerned with the lack of supporting evidence for the God hypothesis. I know only a handful of non-believers who put themselves in the gnostic category.

You are right that "pedophile" is more than the sum of its parts, but "atheism" is not. "Theism" is a description of a belief-state; "atheism" is its antipathy.

Comment 4 by Red Dog :

Mon, 22 Aug 2011 21:12:57 UTC | #863294

Eosimias's Avatar Comment 11 by Eosimias

That's simply not true. Most atheists recognize weak/negative atheism vs strong/positive atheism. Someone who does not believe in a god can not be a theist and is therefore not (AKA "a") theistic.

Even Dawkins puts himself at a 6 (out of 7) on the positive atheism scale.

Mon, 22 Aug 2011 21:25:20 UTC | #863295

Atheist Mike's Avatar Comment 12 by Atheist Mike

Well, atheist organizations are needed to oppose religious ones but as I often said before I find the idea of atheist groups rather silly. United by a lack of schizophrenic delusions? No thanks. Still good luck with the campaign.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 01:39:35 UTC | #863300

Red Dog's Avatar Comment 13 by Red Dog

Comment 11 by Eosimias :

Even Dawkins puts himself at a 6 (out of 7) on the positive atheism scale.

I don't know what scale you are referencing. But chapter four of The God Delusion is titled "Why There Almost Certainly Is No God". Keeping in mind that Dawkins is a scientist and hence would also say things like "why evolution/relativity are almost certainly true" that seems pretty strong/positive/affirmative to me.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 01:41:00 UTC | #863301

RDfan's Avatar Comment 14 by RDfan

Comment 2 by Delogic

I love how the previews of the three videos looks like serial killers.

Hahaha; your comment made me almost break in half with laughter! (I know, it doesn't take much to make me lol.)

But you make a good point. Seriously, people; I'm no filmmaker - but - the lighting in these videos is atrocious!

The medium is EVERYTHING! (And the message, too, but you get what I mean.)

The first two videos look like they were shot in the basement of an Al Qaeda studio, WTF?! Get it together, will ya!?

P.S I approve the message of this campaign!

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 01:45:15 UTC | #863303

Red Dog's Avatar Comment 15 by Red Dog

Comment 10 by John_Geeshu :

I disagree about The God Delusion. As I said in my previous comment chapter four of that book is titled "Why There Almost Certainly Is No God", and given that Dawkins is a scientist and not likely to say anything except perhaps mathematical proofs are absolutely certain that is about as strong a statement as I think you could expect.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 01:48:31 UTC | #863304

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 16 by mirandaceleste

I think this is a lovely idea and hope that it becomes an important and inspiring resource. I'm extremely reluctant to make videos (I'd rather express my ideas in writing), but I made one for We Are Atheism, and it's posted here.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 01:51:29 UTC | #863306

Tomaniac's Avatar Comment 17 by Tomaniac

I think as humans given our brain structure and stereo view of the world, it is easy for people to feel like there is something more than ourselves, To come to the realization that there isn't by excepting scientific research and empirical evidence can be a pretty hard thing for most to do.

Atheism is not a religion, but it can be a subject that brings people of a like minds together with common interests and goals.

Something as big as giving up the religion that you were inundated with as a child and reasons why you have serious doubts about all things supernatural is something to share with others.

How you do we do this while having fun and not look like a religion?

I think I'm answering my own question.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 02:04:15 UTC | #863310

Red Dog's Avatar Comment 18 by Red Dog

Comment 17 by Tomaniac :

I'm a hard core atheist but I really don't understand the notion that by accepting atheism and science I'm somehow negating that " there is something more than ourselves". It seems to me that you've been reading too much theist propaganda about "materialist atheists".

When I walk in the mountains, when I read some great literature (e.g. Fitzgerald, Tolstoy), when I listen to great music (e.g., Beethoven's 9th) when I come to understand some profound idea about evolution or physics (e.g., reading Dawkins), when I look into the eyes of my lover or my daughter, all those times I feel that I'm more than myself much more then when I was an altar boy and I recited some prayer without really understanding or caring about what the words meant.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 02:19:18 UTC | #863313

Savant's Avatar Comment 19 by Savant

I would be interested if it wasn't tied to the unfortunate term 'Atheist'. I refuse to be defined by what I'm not, what I don't agree with or what I think is wrong.

Call me a rationalist, a freethinker, a skeptic or a realist, but don't define me in terms of someone else's superstitions.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 02:27:17 UTC | #863314

Me282's Avatar Comment 20 by Me282

I'm with Savant. Scientific humanism is my perspective. Atheist just is too loaded. And the logo is lame. Anyway, I can't come out of the closet fully because I teach evangelical kids and... well, anyway, I still wish the movement the best success!

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 03:48:34 UTC | #863328

Atheist Mike's Avatar Comment 21 by Atheist Mike

Comment 2 by Delogic :

I love how the previews of the three videos looks like serial killers.

Yeah, 'we are atheism' and we have scars and tattoos. Such a way to raise consciousness.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 03:59:25 UTC | #863330

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 22 by huzonfurst

The logo was immediately appealing in its simplicity and harmony of form and color; it's playful and optimistic, so there.

To whomever said atheism is the belief that there are no gods, back to kindergarten with you!

Atheism strictly means a lack of belief in the supernatural, but that also implies that one values reason and evidence, so I use it all the time. Besides, it still has shock value and it's fun to tweak the faithheads once in a while, especially if they already know I'm an okay guy.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 04:12:53 UTC | #863332

Justine9's Avatar Comment 23 by Justine9

The logo looks like floating jelly babies bowing down to worship the great A. It's really too wide to be an eye-catching logo. It should be less because less in this case would mean more.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 04:35:00 UTC | #863336

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 24 by Alternative Carpark

Good lord...

So glad I don't live in a country where this kind of thing is necessary.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 04:38:08 UTC | #863337

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 25 by aquilacane

Nice effort. I like the idea.

In the future, stay away from arms raised, floating head people (or what I call field goal heads).

The gay witches around a bonfire probably isn't the best look, either.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 10:16:10 UTC | #863338

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 26 by QuestioningKat

I can't get past that logo symbol. Floating rainbow ghosts around a san serif red A.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:22:53 UTC | #863346

hemidemisemigod's Avatar Comment 27 by hemidemisemigod

Holy crap!

I've just looked through a selection of the site's archive videos from the more link. I'm struggling to describe their content without insulting the obviously good intentions of the nice people (wild-eyed whacky weirdos) who kindly made the effort to appear in them. But I have to say that they're enough to strike the fear of god into anyone!

These videos need to be of a better quality with better lighting, camera angles and the people featured should have an idea of what they're going to say before recording begins. I realise that this is incompatible with the process of uploading recordings done at home but maybe they could set up a panel of judges to filter out the bad ones - a sort of A-factor audition.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 11:30:03 UTC | #863347

Dr. monster's Avatar Comment 28 by Dr. monster

the people holding hands look like ghosts from ghostbusters

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 13:31:12 UTC | #863360

nancynancy's Avatar Comment 29 by nancynancy

Hemidemi, I've looked at one or two minutes of each of the videos on the link, and I agree with your comments completely. I think a video "meet the atheists" project (unless it is well executed, with carefully screened participants in uncluttered settings with good video production values -- the very antithesis of this one) will end up alienating far more people than it convinces.

The reason Richard Dawkins is an effective ambassador for atheism is because in addition to being a highly respected scientist and best selling author, he is neatly dressed, articulate, telegenic and charming. The producers of this project need to keep this in mind.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 13:54:56 UTC | #863361

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 30 by huzonfurst

My, the critics are out in force this time. What do you want, nothing but movie stars and Industrial Light and Magic graphics? Give these people credit for starting something worthwhile! A good part of the message is that ordinary, everyday people are atheists too, in fact that's most of us. Calm down already.

Tue, 23 Aug 2011 14:02:08 UTC | #863363