← Dawkins's new children's book

Dawkins's new children's book - Comments

NickD's Avatar Comment 1 by NickD

I've pre-ordered one for my 11 year-old son and wait for it's arrival with anticipation. Of course I might be borrowing it back.....

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 11:55:06 UTC | #868862

Adam Felton's Avatar Comment 2 by Adam Felton

Can't wait to read it! Another wonderful book by Richard to add to the collection.

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 12:07:59 UTC | #868866

Tomas D's Avatar Comment 3 by Tomas D

Say what you want about christmas ... this year it comes early!

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 12:08:11 UTC | #868867

GregGorey's Avatar Comment 4 by GregGorey

the James Randi picture makes me happy.

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 13:03:36 UTC | #868880

Ateo_555's Avatar Comment 5 by Ateo_555

I'll wait until the spanish translation comes out. My english isn't that bad though (or may be it is), but it's not exactly for me. Thanks for sharing!

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 13:56:03 UTC | #868891

Mathias B's Avatar Comment 6 by Mathias B

Sounds great. Hopefully, the german translation comes out soon! I wonder what it's title will be like this time... probably "Gott ist tot" or something like that. Just kidding.

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 14:05:58 UTC | #868895

ShawnDimery's Avatar Comment 7 by ShawnDimery

Haha James Randi as the magician, nice little touch there Richard!

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 14:53:36 UTC | #868905

JuJu's Avatar Comment 8 by JuJu

Just watched this with my kids, I pre-ordered and it should be here Oct 7th, the kids are really excited and can't wait to start reading.

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 14:56:31 UTC | #868907

crusader234's Avatar Comment 9 by crusader234

Im getting this! Richard Rocks!

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 15:27:59 UTC | #868914

Robert Howard's Avatar Comment 10 by Robert Howard

I knew that Richard had a new book coming out, but I didn't realise it was going to be primarily intended for children. I was just wondering if this has been causing any controversy over in the States. From what I know about the more rabid of the American fundamentalists, there's nothing they fear and hate more than the idea that Godless science worshippers may be trying to win over the hearts and minds of their nation's youth.

The release of the movie version of The Golden Compass, the first in Philip Pullman's fantastic His Dark Materials trilogy (now that is a children's book which can be enjoyed by kids and adults alike) was greeted by calls that it should be boycotted by all good Christians because of the books' anti-religious themes.

With the release of The Magic of Reality just around the corner, I wonder if Fox News is gearing up for a battle royale with the American atheist community, with itself cast in the role of Lord Protector of the souls of the country's children.

For some reason, I can hear Helen Lovejoy imploring, "What about the children? Won't somebody please think of the children?"

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 15:58:31 UTC | #868921

JuJu's Avatar Comment 11 by JuJu

This is the type of book that should be use in classrooms. It brought to mind this video "We've got to be that light" its one of those symphony of science type videos, probably one of the best I've seen.

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 16:12:00 UTC | #868925

idxcue's Avatar Comment 12 by idxcue

I will be buying two copies, one for my nephew and one for my personal library.

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 16:27:16 UTC | #868932

Metamag's Avatar Comment 13 by Metamag

This is a brilliant concept, juxtaposing various known content under the label "magic" and then explaining what is true and why thus revealing the true magic...

I hope it will get translated world-wide.

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 17:13:53 UTC | #868947

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 14 by Neodarwinian

Yes, this could be a " companion " text that would pass Constitutional muster, unlike an ID " text " I could but will not name.

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 17:53:28 UTC | #868955

Charliewhite's Avatar Comment 15 by Charliewhite

Watching the video made me think what a great age we live in. This book could not have been written 150 years ago. The recent advancement of science has allowed us to see reality and I look forward to the detail. It has always struck me that Scientists I know who are religious always say the myths in the bible are metaphors and I wonder how much that line will be pedalled by them when this books hits the media. I also do hope however that this book is not picked up as the sole text for their children by the stupid athiest. It frustrates me no end to see ex classmates who flunked science because it was beyond them use Dawkins as a way to appear smart. I suspect they will flaunt this book whilst neglecting all of the other available tools to show their children the magic.

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 20:07:17 UTC | #868992

butterflymia02's Avatar Comment 16 by butterflymia02

I pre-ordered my copy this morning! I can't wait to dig into it with my 3 year old son. Just last night he told me that the moon was really bright and that the sun turned it's light onto it. He's such a smart boy. Thanks Richard, for this great opportunity to share TRUTHFUL information with our children.

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 20:38:52 UTC | #869001

ridelo's Avatar Comment 17 by ridelo

Will there be a Dutch translation? I like to buy it for my grandchildren.

Fri, 09 Sep 2011 21:21:50 UTC | #869013

Functional Atheist's Avatar Comment 18 by Functional Atheist

It sounds as though the book is aimed at the perfect age: 12, or perhaps a little younger. That's around the time I began to seriously question (internally and to peers--I wasn't brave enough to challenge my parents) the religious teachings I had been raised with. Carl Sagan's Cosmos was released around the same time, and the majestic combination of history, wonder, awe, and skeptical inquiry captured my imagination.

By offering scientific explanations that were comprehensible and logical to me, and by showing how these explanations arose, and by further contrasting them with previous explanations, Cosmos had a tremendous impact on me. The similarity in the pattern of this book--beginning with a big question, offering various mythological answers to that question, and proceeding to the scientific explanation, all of it beautifully illustrated, is a great way of teaching thoughtful people of all ages.

Sat, 10 Sep 2011 00:07:56 UTC | #869055

foxfire's Avatar Comment 19 by foxfire

I have been SO waiting for this.....started worring that I'd die first (turned 60 this year). Reserved a copy at Amazon the minute I saw it would be out.... Amazon USA. No joy at the release date here across the pond plus no "look inside" option. Totally irritated that the UK and USA covers are different! Watched the wonderful video Richard made about the inside. LOVE IT. CANNOT WAIT!

Bought a copy from Amazon UK too ($28.16 US at today's 9/9/11 exchange rate) and updated my Amazon US pre-order from 1 to 5 to include copies for: local library, 2 sets of grandkids, and husband's sister*

Richard, If I could just get you to sign that UK copy, I will make sure my Will stipulates that my skeleton (after research use of remains is compleated) be donated to an educational organization for display, provided said bones are positioned as if reading the book.

• Husband's sister: She sent us that horrid Mel Gibson movie for Christmas a couple of years ago. She's a devouted Christian and I love her ver much. She know's I'm an atheist and has given up any attempt to convert. Now we have agreed to discust "ist"."Ist" appears to be some kind of common denominator in the words "theist" and "atheist". Having gotten that agreement, Richard's book sounds like an ideal opportunity to open a discussion on the nature of "ist" or "Ist", depending upon one's preference. One step at a time.
  • YEEE-HAW!!!

Sat, 10 Sep 2011 02:21:49 UTC | #869078

Commie Pinko Dirtbag's Avatar Comment 20 by Commie Pinko Dirtbag

We're in Brazil. My 10 year old is in the process of learning English. (And is very enthusiastic about it.) Gonna buy.

Or, alternatively, is there a Portuguese translation in the plans? All of your books had Brazilian editions already.

P.S.: This is my first comment here. If you know who I am, tell Mr. onager I said hi.

Sat, 10 Sep 2011 05:36:16 UTC | #869097

Stafford Gordon's Avatar Comment 21 by Stafford Gordon

A copy should be given to each of the Republican front runners for the Presidency of the USA; they're all childish and ignorant enough to benefit hugely from it.

Although, unlike children they probably won't be capable of doing so.

Sat, 10 Sep 2011 07:28:56 UTC | #869113

TrickyDicky's Avatar Comment 22 by TrickyDicky

Comment 21 by Stafford Gordon :

Although, unlike children they probably won't be capable of doing so.

I presume one of their aides would be able to read it to them.

Sat, 10 Sep 2011 12:43:29 UTC | #869151

passutoba's Avatar Comment 23 by passutoba

excellent...will pick one up in London in 3 weeks for my nearly 4 year old daughter....never too young I reckon..she'll certainly ask questions about the illustrations!

Sat, 10 Sep 2011 13:43:13 UTC | #869162

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 24 by Richard Dawkins

In answer to those who have asked, here or in other threads, about foreign translations of The Magic of Reality, the following contracts have already been signed, and others are in the pipeline:

Spanish

Yessssss!

Sat, 10 Sep 2011 19:35:12 UTC | #869204

The Berzerker's Avatar Comment 26 by The Berzerker

Comment Removed by Author

Sun, 11 Sep 2011 00:40:57 UTC | #869239

The Berzerker's Avatar Comment 27 by The Berzerker

Italian There is also going to be an audio edition (unabridged, read by Lalla and me) and an App which will run on the iPad.

No offence but I like your voice more, could you read the whole book.

Sun, 11 Sep 2011 00:42:47 UTC | #869240

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 28 by huzonfurst

What - no Arabic translation?

Additionally, I'd like to announce the birth of a new term for fundamentalist wingnuts today, and that is "borons." It makes the use of "morons" unnecessary when expressing one's opinion of these lackwits, since they are not in fact all morons and why insult the unfortunate actual morons by comparing them to fundies?

"Borons" more accurately describes my reaction whenever encountering one of these types, who never learn a thing even when it's explained to them, and predictably repeat the same boring objections and misconceptions over and over again. It fits them to a T.

Sun, 11 Sep 2011 00:54:39 UTC | #869241

iraszl's Avatar Comment 29 by iraszl

Just ordered one for my 5 yo. Don't laugh. Her fav night time reading is an anatomical atlas. :/

Sun, 11 Sep 2011 01:56:26 UTC | #869247

Metamag's Avatar Comment 30 by Metamag

What - no Arabic translation?

That would be a radical step, wouldn't such book be immediately banned in most muslim countries?

After all they are very aggressive and strict with childhood indoctrination.

Sun, 11 Sep 2011 07:22:54 UTC | #869296