← The Magic of Reality for iPad by Richard Dawkins - trailer

The Magic of Reality for iPad by Richard Dawkins - trailer - Comments

wcapehart's Avatar Comment 1 by wcapehart

Is this the same text as the I-book? (Important stuff for those of us who still have it in pre-order...) Of course, I'd still likely want the iPhone/ipod version for the morning commute.

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 16:22:28 UTC | #875390

tboulay's Avatar Comment 2 by tboulay

This is fantastic!

I was really hoping you'd produce an ipad app like this for The Magic of Reality, along the same lines as Al Gore's 'Our Choice'. Reading that book with my kids was great because of all the interactive media in it.

The book itself will be great for my son who's a bit older, but this app will be fantastic for my daughter (age 7).

I can't wait to get this downloaded. :)

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:12:47 UTC | #875421

Perfututum's Avatar Comment 3 by Perfututum

any chance of getting this on pc?

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:18:49 UTC | #875424

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 4 by phil rimmer

For those of us who prefer not to taste of the forbiddingly expensive fruit, can we get an Android app for this in a little while???

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:23:14 UTC | #875428

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 5 by Premiseless

Partner downloading this now so I can get the book back.

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 18:30:13 UTC | #875431

Sample's Avatar Comment 6 by Sample

This is a win. Great job to all who brought it to fruition.

Mike

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 19:04:04 UTC | #875443

Andres Heredia's Avatar Comment 7 by Andres Heredia

AWESOME!

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:02:26 UTC | #875465

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 8 by Premiseless

We're just on the iPad MoR, moving about a few continents and wondering if Ryanair could do even cheaper deals to the Canaries up to 150 million years ago? Using Wiki we found out that these islands were born from beneath the oceans, emerging as volcanos (first taking millions of years to build up from the sea bed) from the oceans up to around 20 million years ago (some older than others) and that Ryanair would have avoided them anyhow due atmospheric ash. No joy there then!

London - New York about 140 million years ago looks good!

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 20:11:25 UTC | #875470

Charisma's Avatar Comment 9 by Charisma

BAH!! Can I also get this app with Ipod touch?

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:05:47 UTC | #875493

Richard Dawkins's Avatar Comment 10 by Richard Dawkins

BAH!! Can I also get this app with Ipod touch?

I think you may be misled by the word 'app'. Technically it is an app, but it is also a whole e-book, complete with all the colour illustrations that are in the original book. That is why it takes much longer to download than an ordinary app, and that is why it is more expensive. You can't really read a lavishly illustrated book on a screen as small as an iPod's. Mike, in the note at the top, sums it up:

A note on what this is - i'ts much more than just an "app". I just downloaded it to my iPad and I've finally seen a reason to buy an electronic form of a book. There are lots of interactive features, readings of selected sections by Richard and beautiful artwork that really is best displayed on a screen rather than paper I think - although I'm sure the paper copy of the book will be wonderful, this is particularly spectacular. /Mike

Perhaps it should be called, not an app but an 'enhanced e-book'. Or a bapp? It is big and expensive for an app but cheap for a book, and it is actually both.

Richard

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:29:24 UTC | #875504

wcapehart's Avatar Comment 11 by wcapehart

Comment 10 by Richard Dawkins :

Well... if you squint really hard....

And apparently you can get it stateside, before the traditional ibook release. Sneaky Dawkins. Naughty Dawkins. Clever Dawkins

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:43:19 UTC | #875507

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 12 by Premiseless

Reminds me of some of the stuff Crick software pioneered in making concepts an interactive experience.

Key concepts are far more easily absorbed when the brain is in operational mode rather than abstract and this is illustrated beautifully with the 'frogs for survival trial and error virtual experiment' which provides counter intuitive feedback as to how natural selection rallies for a niche in the natural world. Something tells me there will be apps for survival spinning off this.

The hardback book is a different experience and more quietly enchanting as compared to the fun and engaging iBapp. I'd recommend both since I can't reject one in favour of the other. Now that is an odd admission, coming from me!

It's good to have both around!

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 21:59:27 UTC | #875516

tboulay's Avatar Comment 13 by tboulay

Comment 10 by Richard Dawkins :

Richard

So, I finished downloading it a couple of hours ago and have been reading/playing the app with my kids since they got home from school.

This is how books on ipad should be, especially science books targeted at the general population or kids. It's great, every couple of pages there's something to listen to or do in the way of an interactive activity.

There are some books on iBooks that are advertised as enhanced e-books, (George Carlins biography comes to mind) but the "enhanced" part is simply a few videos or sound files embedded in the book. This book (along with "Our Choice") are the only truly 'enhanced' books I've found on Ipad. However, in both cases the subject matter also lends itself very well to the format.

As for the price, I have no issues with it, it's priced very well for an e-book and I look at it as an e-book + so much more.

I still plan to get the hard-cover, however if you have an ipad I can't recommend the app highly enough; especially if you have kids that may be a little young for the hard-cover.

Mon, 26 Sep 2011 23:32:08 UTC | #875533

sisko7's Avatar Comment 14 by sisko7

On the iTunes: Rated 9+ for the following: Infrequent/Mild Cartoon or Fantasy Violence

Mild cartoon or fantasy violence?! How about the "Little Red Riding Hood" will it be rated 18+, and not to mention the Bible it should be rated like "deceased only"

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 00:31:26 UTC | #875545

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 15 by mirandaceleste

I downloaded it yesterday. It's absolutely lovely. And, as others have said, it's so much more than just an e-book. The iPad is the perfect fit for this type of e-book/app hybrid.

I was surprised that I was able to download it already, as the book itself hasn't yet been published here (in the U.S.). In general, e-books (such as Kindle editions) aren't available until the hardback is released. Perhaps they were able to get around that because it's in app form? Or because it's limited to only one platform?

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 04:35:38 UTC | #875562

wcapehart's Avatar Comment 16 by wcapehart

Comment 14 by sisko7 :

Given that my three-year-old son on a regular basis decapitates zombies (on his mother's iPod/iPad, no really, not mine!), slingshots birdies, and ravages the seas and killing british sailors (ok, that one is on mine*) and such, I am not entirely sure we can protect our young children from natural selection and playing with virtual prisms. And I'm not sure we should try to.

*And yes, he plays the letter and number tracing/counting games too. By my learning apps are better than the ones on mommy's.

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 06:23:13 UTC | #875568

adiroth's Avatar Comment 17 by adiroth

Thank goodness I held back on buying the book. This is awesome!

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 08:53:16 UTC | #875584

Am I Evil?'s Avatar Comment 18 by Am I Evil?

Got it yesterday, loving it so far. Although I nearly passed out when trying to blow the stuff across the sea... you'll see what I mean when you get it!

Just wondering if the warning is for the 'choosing which frogs to kill' bit? Tin hat on, but wouldn't it not have been better to just say they died of old age, considering the intended audience?

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 10:58:30 UTC | #875613

tboulay's Avatar Comment 19 by tboulay

So, it's 29th on the top 100 paid apps, it was 36th last night. :)

In Categories, the magic of reality is the icon for the 'Books' section (though I'm not sure that is the case for everyone else)

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 15:18:33 UTC | #875690

stuhillman's Avatar Comment 20 by stuhillman

This is very good and paves the way for what an e-book should really be. Most e-books, on my Kindle for example, are just a copy of the print edition and illustrations are difficult to display. On the iPad2, however, the illustrations "come to life" in full color and animation. RD and his publishers have set a new standard and brought forward the day when all e-books will be enhanced in this way. I have the hard-copy of The Magic of Reality too and it surely has great potential as a read-to/read-with book for interaction with kids. Well done.

Let's wait for the enhanced e-book edition of the Bible with passages read by the authors - Oh, sorry, too much woo. But you could have an interactive game of the battle of Jericho! That would have to be x-rated though with warnings of extreme violence and sexual imagery. Not so good as Reality when reading a bed-time story to the grandkids.

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 16:39:38 UTC | #875709

spotlamp's Avatar Comment 21 by spotlamp

Comment 10 by Richard Dawkins :

Richard

Hmm that is maybe, but never the less it is an 'e' book that has none of the distribution costs of printed media, personally I think the price is far to steep for something where the only costs are the initial production and zero reproduction costs. Not only is is an e book I never get to own it like a real book, A real book gives me the freedom to loan it to people or give it to a charity shop to resell when I have finished with it. an iApp has no resale value and should be priced accordingly.

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 18:56:05 UTC | #875744

lol mahmood's Avatar Comment 22 by lol mahmood

Will this become available for all us poor souls with Android tablets?

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:03:19 UTC | #875783

the great teapot's Avatar Comment 23 by the great teapot

So it would appear this useless heap of trash i bought called my ipad has a use afterall. Apple sucks. Damn you Mr Stephen Fry and your shameless promotion of your freebies. My lesson in never trusting in respected authority figures again well and truly learnt. Another 400 quid lighter but thank god I've got a pc laptop again. Shocking thing was ididn't even have to own an ipad to get my new pc started. How does that work?

The Book looks good though.

Tue, 27 Sep 2011 21:30:23 UTC | #875788

mgjinich's Avatar Comment 24 by mgjinich

Any chance it will run on the Kindle Fire?

Wed, 28 Sep 2011 17:31:30 UTC | #875999

Dhamma's Avatar Comment 25 by Dhamma

This does indeed look very wellmade. Though, it is of course sad it's not on Android. Especially so since it's primarily aimed at children and Ipad is most popular among the opposite demography: wealthy adults. The only advantage of developing for IOS would be the slim ecosystem. Other than that I find it encouraging Dawkins is willing to adapt to his surroundings. It seems he's learned a thing or two from his profession!

Thu, 29 Sep 2011 00:36:21 UTC | #876153

hemidemisemigod's Avatar Comment 26 by hemidemisemigod

Comment 23 by the great teapot :

Blasphemer!

Fri, 30 Sep 2011 19:55:22 UTC | #876736

inanna's Avatar Comment 27 by inanna

Richard I have been explaining this app to my 4 year old son. He loves the interaction. Can you please make a more simplified version that he can follow? I guess at the most fundamental level, it would be great to educate a sense of cause and effect. Perhaps this can be illustrated in simple games?

Sat, 01 Oct 2011 12:45:34 UTC | #876915

Librarian's Avatar Comment 28 by Librarian

Professor Dawkins I second comment 27. I love the iPad app. Each chapter can be made into a simpler version for younger students or students who do not have a good science background.

I am the librarian at a Middle School with 11-14 year olds. Because of demographics and poverty 75% of my students read below grade level. They will not be able to read your book successfully. These students absolutely love science books and science. For various reasons their families do not read to them at home. I have purchased hard copies to donate to the library. I am quite pleased that the iPad app has allowed me to download the book before it is available in the US!

Books like this are so incredibly important. I live in Colorado and because of the standardized testing Science and Social Studies are getting cut drastically. Thank you for writing it!

Sat, 01 Oct 2011 22:20:13 UTC | #877025

binlid11's Avatar Comment 29 by binlid11

I have been waiting ages for this book and the fact it's a ebook app...is even better ...because I felt Richards other books went a little over my head ...It's also a lot more fun and great illustrations ...I know the book was aimed at younger readers ,but it's great for people like myself who are not quite dumb enough to be creationists and not quite smart enough to be proper Atheists ...

Mon, 03 Oct 2011 19:08:12 UTC | #877534

Quine's Avatar Comment 30 by Quine

Needa-wanna Droid app (as would have been expressed by my step-son when he was quite young).

Mon, 03 Oct 2011 19:25:08 UTC | #877541