← Gingrich says atheists can’t be trusted, disregards 50 million secular Americans

Gingrich says atheists can’t be trusted, disregards 50 million secular Americans - Comments

sgturner59's Avatar Comment 1 by sgturner59

Newt Gingrich has the gonads to talk about trust? LOL!!!

Tue, 01 Nov 2011 23:13:31 UTC | #886186

ajs261's Avatar Comment 2 by ajs261

"How can I trust you with power if you don’t pray?”

Talking to imaginary friends inspires trust?

Tue, 01 Nov 2011 23:14:35 UTC | #886187

howler's Avatar Comment 3 by howler

"The United States of America is in no sense founded on the Christian religion" - John Adams 2nd U.S. president

Tue, 01 Nov 2011 23:16:56 UTC | #886188

HappyPrimate's Avatar Comment 4 by HappyPrimate

Gingrich said that Americans should value religion first, above morality and knowledge.

Well, that says it all doesn't it? Religion first and foremost over any sort of morality (cause it has none) and stay stupid. That's the American way. LOL

Tue, 01 Nov 2011 23:22:12 UTC | #886189

msbav8r's Avatar Comment 5 by msbav8r

Meh. Just look at prison statistics Newt.
Now tell us who isn't trustworthy.

As for you Newt-

"Gingrich has been married three times."

"Gingrich is the only Speaker of the House to have been disciplined for ethics violations."

Tue, 01 Nov 2011 23:28:23 UTC | #886192

Metamag's Avatar Comment 6 by Metamag

Holy shit! And this is suppose to be the GOP's thinker, the intellectual among the candidates!?

Oh America, how have you sunk so low...

Gingrich’s comments are egregiously offensive to those atheists, agnostics, secularists, humanists and freethinkers

Btw, why do we still pretend that there is such a thing as agnostic, if you don't know if you believe in god you don't believe in god. There is no such thing as agnosticism, there is only agnostic and gnostic atheism and even those distinctions are silly and irrelevant.

Tue, 01 Nov 2011 23:42:17 UTC | #886198

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 7 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Currently married to Callista Bisek, Newt Gingrich has been married three times. A serial philanderer, his two previous marriages ended in divorce after he had affairs with younger women and when his wives were seriously ill.

Gory details here:

Marriages, Divorce, Affairs, Oral Sex, Wifely Cancer and Multiple Sclerosis Timeline

What a shit he is.

Tue, 01 Nov 2011 23:45:48 UTC | #886200

SheerReason's Avatar Comment 8 by SheerReason

I find myself praying for another mass extinction event...

Tue, 01 Nov 2011 23:56:39 UTC | #886206

RationalConclusion's Avatar Comment 9 by RationalConclusion

The only thing worse than the comments Gingrich makes is that he recieves a round of applause for making them.

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 00:16:03 UTC | #886212

wisnoskij's Avatar Comment 10 by wisnoskij

Comment 6 by Metamag :

Oh America, how have you sunk so low...

For the same reason that we have secularists, humanists and freethinkers on the list. Even Atheist don't like Atheism and many prefer to call themselves secularists, humanists, freethinkers, or agnostics. In this context they all mean the same thing, but a lot of people simply do not want to be Atheists no matter what their belief about God is.

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 00:34:05 UTC | #886217

kenatcb's Avatar Comment 11 by kenatcb

Now I don't know about anyone else but I value morality top and knowledge prety high up on my priorities. With morality comes fairness, respect and even love for other people. What does Newt Gingrich pray for? It cannot be for the well-being for others for that would involve compassion and without a sense of morality there cannot be compassion. [Link to personal blog removed by moderator]

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 00:36:13 UTC | #886221

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 12 by Neodarwinian

Way to go after the independents and their vote, Newt!

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 00:40:42 UTC | #886225

wisnoskij's Avatar Comment 13 by wisnoskij

Comment 11 by kenatcb :

Now I don't know about anyone else but I value morality top and knowledge prety high up on my priorities. With morality comes fairness, respect and even love for other people. What does Newt Gingrich pray for? It cannot be for the well-being for others for that would involve compassion and without a sense of morality there cannot be compassion. A longer comment is in my blog.under liNewt Gingrich

I really don't think that morality has anything to do with respect or love.

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 00:42:41 UTC | #886226

Quine's Avatar Comment 14 by Quine

The Constitution of the United States forbids a religious test for any public office. Newt knows this perfectly well. If he wants to change the Constitution, that is fine, but until it is changed, such comments are against our core values, i.e. Separation of Church and State.

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 00:44:11 UTC | #886227

ernest s's Avatar Comment 15 by ernest s

@wisnoskij

'Possibilian'

Perhaps something to do with the baggage of the words. For example, one study found that 19 female-to-male trans-men used 33 different combinations of labels to describe themselves... whereas the term 'transexual' would have been pretty adequate in most cases. There are a slew of academic books and papers that delve on 'identity' formation and development out there.

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 00:47:26 UTC | #886230

rajah's Avatar Comment 16 by rajah

Newt is a moral midget pandering to the prejuduces of right wing medievalists.

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 00:53:08 UTC | #886236

rrh1306's Avatar Comment 17 by rrh1306

Comment Removed by Author

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 01:04:12 UTC | #886239

Zelig's Avatar Comment 18 by Zelig

Scary, and scandalous.

Comment 14 by Quine :

Therefore he must be making the political calculation that saying such things will win him votes. Will it? How many? How did the other candidates respond to him and this issue? What has been the reaction of the mainstream media to his statements? Is the American "right" genuinely getting worse (it certainly feels that way), or is it just that some of us foreigners have only recently become more aware if it?

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 01:10:32 UTC | #886241

rrh1306's Avatar Comment 19 by rrh1306

To me if there is anybody that can't be trusted it's someone that thinks they can be forgiven by someone other than the person they've wronged. Example Newt Gingrich. " Yeah I was cheating on my wife at the same time I was lambasting Bill Clinton for being a horrible, immoral example to the American people. But that's ok. I prayed and I was forgiven. It doesn't matter that I never apologized to Clinton for being a self serving hypocrite. I talked to god and he forgave me, end of discussion.

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 01:16:05 UTC | #886242

kenatcb's Avatar Comment 20 by kenatcb

Comment 13 by wisnoskij :

Comment 11 by kenatcb :

I really don't think that morality has anything to do with respect or love.

One reason why I am non-religious is that I wish to live a moral life and at the same time respecting other peoples views even if I believe they are wrong. With religion that is not possible. Well I'm new to this Secular stuff but it's the nearest thing that does not involve a god and is close to my way of thinking.

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 01:22:02 UTC | #886247

Vicar of Art on Earth's Avatar Comment 21 by Vicar of Art on Earth

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 01:27:49 UTC | #886249

Red Dog's Avatar Comment 22 by Red Dog

Comment 12 by Neodarwinian :

Way to go after the independents and their vote, Newt!

Newt doesn't care about votes. He realizes he has no chance to actually win the nomination much less the presidency. He runs to prop up his business which is essentially a con-game to get money from ignorant Americans as Rachel Maddow has pointed out on many occasions.

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 02:34:17 UTC | #886270

DefenderOfReason!'s Avatar Comment 23 by DefenderOfReason!

Are there no bounds to human stupidity?! Reading stuff like this literally makes me sick to my stomach.

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 02:42:18 UTC | #886274

Functional Atheist's Avatar Comment 24 by Functional Atheist

He's pandering.

Completely off-the-record, in private, Gingrich would likely acknowledge that his position is more about populist rhetoric, selling books, and trying to gain a few points in the polls than about his literal, sincere, beliefs.

Or maybe not. In either case, his comments are repugnant, but part of a long tradition.

American Right-wingers always have at least a few villains on their hit list to motivate voters and donors. Communists, socialists, atheists, gays, public employees, unions, 'Welfare Queens', illegal aliens, Muslims, intellectuals, folks with (what they deem) excessive melanin--take your pick, all have been whipping boys of the Right in recent years.

Often these boogeymen tactics are indirect--rather than saying outright "you can't trust a black man," they utilize indirect means, like the phony brouhaha over Obama's birth certificate. Atheists have the "pleasure" of being one of the monsters that the Right feels can still be openly disparaged.

Pressed, most Right-wingers will acknowledge that there's no LEGAL impediment, in the US, to atheists seeking political office, but that their objections are cultural/moral/ethical, etc.

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 02:43:28 UTC | #886275

Sample's Avatar Comment 25 by Sample

These public words, while repugnant, are also a potential gift to secularism. If you ever wanted to write a citizen's opinion to your local newspaper, this screed of Newt's could be a powerful backdrop for one. I am going to try to submit one while the topic is fresh.

I strongly encourage others to consider writing as well. And if you aren't American, that's ok, newspapers love foreign (potential tourist) observations. Pick a small town paper somewhere and write in.

Thank you for the article.

Mike

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 03:21:19 UTC | #886287

Eric G's Avatar Comment 26 by Eric G

I didn't read all the comments, but I believe he is dead last in the running. He was never really a blip on the radar if you know what I mean. Either way, all of the GOP is pretty scary when it comes to religion.

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 04:31:12 UTC | #886299

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 27 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 04:34:36 UTC | #886300

Anonymous's Avatar Comment 28 by Anonymous

Comment Removed by Moderator

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 07:04:20 UTC | #886330

PatW's Avatar Comment 29 by PatW

Meet the self-proved hypocrite known as Newt Gingrich:

"Newt Gingrich, hypocrite in chief

The would-be GOP leader blames his serial adultery on patriotism, says God will forgive him. Will voters?"

I've never been able to trust a hypocrite. They steal people's trust and betray them every time.

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 07:47:27 UTC | #886334

PatW's Avatar Comment 30 by PatW

Comment 21 by Vicar of Art on Earth :

The earthquake and storms around the old South clearly demonstrate Jesus is a Democrat and Newt is stoned or should be stoned or was that Nancy Reagan for consorting with fortune tellers, it is hard to get all their blasphemy right. I just wish Mr. Gingrich could find the right man, settle down, and get over his women issues, we all would be happier.

Gingrich has made it clear that he is most assuredly a homophobe [Edited by moderator to bring within Terms of Use]. Homophobia is quite common among the male members of the GOP.

Wed, 02 Nov 2011 07:53:23 UTC | #886335