← The Reason Rally!

The Reason Rally! - Comments

amd's Avatar Comment 1 by amd

http://www.27bslash6.com/easter.html - this has nothing to do with the above article. I just love David Thorne and think he is hilarious. This is the address to take you to one of his funnier posts on religion. Thought you all might enjoy.

Sat, 05 Nov 2011 12:07:02 UTC | #887568

aquilacane's Avatar Comment 2 by aquilacane

I like the being prepared and planning ahead attitude but 20112 isn't for a real long time. 2012 I take it.

Sat, 05 Nov 2011 12:35:41 UTC | #887574

thpoc's Avatar Comment 3 by thpoc

I can't help but associate this 'Reason Rally' with Jon Stewart's 'Rally to Restore Sanity' held last year. Will this event be able to crawl out of the image of a "cranky subculture that meets in hotel-ballrooms" and reach a broader public (like Stewarts)? I hope it, yet doubt it. Stewart's presence would surely broaden our public and strengthen the cause for rationality. Too bad he probably would never attend these meetings, for the (reasonable) fear of getting too much involved (and branded) with the atheistic side of things, even though everyone would loudly claim this to be about being secular and not atheist.

Sat, 05 Nov 2011 12:43:14 UTC | #887575

QuestioningKat's Avatar Comment 4 by QuestioningKat

I believe the Cherry Blossom festival starts the following day. Depending upon the peak days of growth of the blossoms for 2012, hotels might become a challenge. I suggest, if you are going you need to start planning and booking a room in advance especially if your staying a little longer.

I agree this march seems a little vague. Maybe it would be better to have a march to remove all "church/religion" from state or to bring recognition of how religion (one religion) still dominates in politics and public affairs. ??

Sat, 05 Nov 2011 13:02:34 UTC | #887579

Functional Atheist's Avatar Comment 5 by Functional Atheist

I agree it sounds rather vague, but I prefer the notion of an affirmative rally to an oppositional rally.

Too often, we atheists are caricatured as always being opposed to things. Even the word, 'atheist', is lamentably one of opposition: it does not define what we believe, it defines what we do NOT believe.

So a Rally for Reason, or a Rally for Rationality, is, in principle, the right idea. But it does sound rather dull, and obvious, doesn't it? Better to inject a dose of humor, perhaps? "The Rally for Mom, America, Apple Pie, and Reason"? "The Rally for Sanity, Reason, Logic, and Kittens"?

In addition, if you're going to have a Brit rally people to Washington's Mall, why not Ricky Gervais, or Stephen Fry? All due respect to the fellow in the video (get a shave and a haircut, hippie!), this is the sort of event that cries out for celebrity involvement. Ricky and/or Stephen would make a great Master of Ceremonies, and I'm sure he/they could recruit some fellow celebrities to help fill the program for the event.

To those who might be sniffy about celebrities, bear in mind that they would motivate media interest, which would in turn have a salutary effect on the attendance, and impact, of the rally.

Sat, 05 Nov 2011 14:27:03 UTC | #887590

whenpigsfly's Avatar Comment 6 by whenpigsfly

Comment 1 by amd :

Ha!! That was hilarious! Worth re-posting the link: Permission slip

Sat, 05 Nov 2011 15:17:40 UTC | #887599

Atheist Mike's Avatar Comment 7 by Atheist Mike

All the better if it encourages that country to get rid of its quasi-theocracy but from what I've seen all the recent protests in america seem to have turned into a gigantic mess.

Sat, 05 Nov 2011 16:15:45 UTC | #887610

TobySaunders's Avatar Comment 8 by TobySaunders

wow

Sat, 05 Nov 2011 16:18:48 UTC | #887611

amd's Avatar Comment 9 by amd

Thanks whenpigsfly, so glad to share this treasure :)

Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:00:22 UTC | #887616

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 10 by drumdaddy

I'm all for the rally but this guy in the video gives off a very strange vibe. Maybe it's me.

Sat, 05 Nov 2011 17:49:54 UTC | #887621

the archangel's Avatar Comment 11 by the archangel

Is it just me who feels like they are watching a Jihad video or something. I mean fair play to Monsieur Thunderfoot I've watched many of his videos. But this doesn't stir my emotions in the way Christopher Hitchens can. No don't like this at all, makes me feel like I'm being preached too, even though I agree with him, which is weird.

Sun, 06 Nov 2011 00:06:47 UTC | #887722

keith's Avatar Comment 12 by keith

Thunderdf00t sounds like a very annoying person, atheist or no atheist.

Sun, 06 Nov 2011 02:14:48 UTC | #887756

Red Foot Okie's Avatar Comment 13 by Red Foot Okie

He does sound a little... I'm not sure... too poetic or something.

Still, I'll mark my calander. This could be the only thing to drag me south to Houston.

Sun, 06 Nov 2011 03:19:25 UTC | #887770

mjwemdee's Avatar Comment 14 by mjwemdee

Thanks amd and whenpigsfly. Three hours later and I'm still spluttering with laughter.

Sun, 06 Nov 2011 05:07:27 UTC | #887780

Sample's Avatar Comment 15 by Sample

Interesting that there is a near empty bottle of Highland Park scotch on the mantle. The only thing that struck me funny (no offense) was when he said one could be killed on planet earth for not believing in an ancient religion. For whatever reason I thought, I could get killed on pretty much any planet because of my need for an atmosphere too.

Nevertheless, it is encouraging to see these organizations popping up in Washington DC.

Mike

Sun, 06 Nov 2011 05:33:27 UTC | #887785

Harps's Avatar Comment 16 by Harps

Is it that he sounds too preachy? No one really talks like that do they?

Sun, 06 Nov 2011 12:33:08 UTC | #887828

hellosnackbar's Avatar Comment 17 by hellosnackbar

He's a great guy who lampoons nonsensical beliefs and supports science.

Sun, 06 Nov 2011 20:40:07 UTC | #887971

Lapithes's Avatar Comment 18 by Lapithes

He's imitating the V for Vendetta guy as self-parody to deflate he sense that the kind of bearing necessary to motivate people to come to the rally seems too grandiose for the cause and environment. Dur.

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 11:53:09 UTC | #888118

satan augustine's Avatar Comment 19 by satan augustine

This certainly isn't the best advert for the Reason Rally, but it is a very important event. Click on "Reason Rally" directly below the video for more info.

Functional Atheist at Comment 5: I agree that it would be cool to hear/see Stephen Fry and/or Ricky Gervais speak at the Reason Rally, it will feature one Brit who you may be familiar with: a certain Richard Dawkins. : )

Mon, 07 Nov 2011 20:19:10 UTC | #888335

alabasterocean's Avatar Comment 20 by alabasterocean

SPARTA!!!

Tue, 08 Nov 2011 14:05:07 UTC | #888598

boecxyec's Avatar Comment 21 by boecxyec

I have weird vibes watching this video.. the raising of the finger into the heavens (ostensibly pointing towards the moon) and the tone make it feel like a sermon. Don't take me wrong, I do agree with points brought on by Thunderfoot here.. I just don't like the approach and setting for some reason

Thu, 17 Nov 2011 09:15:40 UTC | #890986

VyckRo's Avatar Comment 22 by VyckRo

The first video response! for the Reason Rally http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QdIEJgvbQ_Q

Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:51:29 UTC | #908656

VyckRo's Avatar Comment 23 by VyckRo

Sun, 15 Jan 2012 20:53:47 UTC | #908657

Quine's Avatar Comment 24 by Quine

I will be at the Reason Rally, and the American Atheists National Convention. Anyone who might want to meet me there could send me a note through Facebook at "Qu Quine."

Sat, 21 Jan 2012 00:35:38 UTC | #910373

Quine's Avatar Comment 25 by Quine

Some of the religious blogs are starting to notice. Here are a couple:

It is going to be interesting to watch the reaction we get as this comes together. As for the reaction afterwards, well, who knows?

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:06:57 UTC | #920492

Quine's Avatar Comment 26 by Quine

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 20:59:12 UTC | #920517

Quine's Avatar Comment 28 by Quine

This guy, I found lost in the old bogus argument that we can't know anything so we are just as well believing whatever:

A link there, led me to this site where some religious organizations are planning what to do:

They suggest:

Together, we represent Christians from the United States and around the world who believe that Christianity is a reasonable worldview. Our goal is to demonstrate a humble, loving and thoughtful response to the Reason Rally.We’ll be equipped there with:

• Gifts of kindness to give away–free bottled water, for example
  • Mini-book (32-page) summarized versions of Reason Really, an exciting soon-to-be-published ebook >written especially for this purpose.
  • Flyers advertising that ebook.
  • A limited number of copies of a currently published book on Christianity and atheism.
  • That is, a chance to do the same old nonsense.

Tue, 21 Feb 2012 21:49:10 UTC | #920546

Sample's Avatar Comment 29 by Sample

Following the Reason Rally is the American Atheists Convention where Prof. Dawkins is speaking, amongst others. I mentioned before I didn't receive confirmation of the ticket purchase but today it arrived in the mail.

Also in that letter was a small refund check (the price had been reduced). The check has American Atheists printed in bold on it. Rather than use the automated deposit, I think I am going to hand walk that check in and endorse it personally in front of the teller (lots of Catholic tellers here). :-j

Mike

Wed, 22 Feb 2012 10:22:26 UTC | #920687

Blue & Gray's Avatar Comment 30 by Blue & Gray

For the Reason Rally, whoever is in charge of the music should try and get Sarah McLachlan to open or end the rally by singing Dear God; perhaps she might do it, and who knows maybe she will do it for free. It's the best song about god there is

Sat, 03 Mar 2012 01:19:00 UTC | #923926