← [Update 11-Nov another video]Video tribute and toast to Christopher Hitchens

[Update 11-Nov another video]Video tribute and toast to Christopher Hitchens - Comments

some asshole's Avatar Comment 1 by some asshole

Great video. I hope he sees it.

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 14:46:01 UTC | #888968

Sample's Avatar Comment 2 by Sample

Well, don't I just feel like the empty-handed party crasher amidst such organized friendliness! Please add my toast from Alaska with a bit of ice from a glacier in Tracy Arm clinking just for you sir!

Cheers,

Mike

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 14:54:02 UTC | #888970

vaister's Avatar Comment 3 by vaister

Thank you Mr. Hitchens.

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 14:59:34 UTC | #888973

Wake_Up's Avatar Comment 4 by Wake_Up

Thanks for the words!

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 15:30:33 UTC | #888980

Pliny the Elder's Avatar Comment 5 by Pliny the Elder

Mr. Hitchens. You and your writing personally inspire me to walk the path of reason and for that I sincerely thank you.

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 15:42:21 UTC | #888984

Naturalist1's Avatar Comment 6 by Naturalist1

Absolutely LOVE this wonderful video and myself express undying gratitude to Hitch for all he has given us. He has helped so many people learn to think and articulate their thoughts without fear. Still....there is something bothering me about the recent string of posts on this site all in homage to Christopher....is there something going on we are not being told? Something the RDF site has been notified of by Hitch's family? Has his health deteriorated seriously to a point where his end is near? I hope not. How does one ask this question delicately with compassion? I wish him well...I wish him happiness.

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 16:06:17 UTC | #888989

helena!'s Avatar Comment 7 by helena!

That was very touching indeed! Beautiful video I hope Hitch sees it! I would like to add my cheers to the genius Hitchens here too! I am reading Hitch 22 then I'm on to Arguably next. I am always in awe of his masterful writing and knowledge.

What's up with the ninja dude?

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 16:29:36 UTC | #888992

-TheCodeCrack-'s Avatar Comment 8 by -TheCodeCrack-

I love the straight-to-the-point Aussie at 3:13 with the vb bottle.

I love Hitchens!

May your hitch-slaps rain down for eternity!

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 16:45:13 UTC | #889000

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 9 by Nunbeliever

Usually I find these videos.. well not exactly in the spirit of free thinking. But, I have to say this one is different. I find all the contributors genuine and honestly moved and touched by Hitchens books and writings. I hope this video can be just a tiny bit of consolation to Hitch in his dark hours.

I only have a cup of Earl Grey in front of me, but I raise it and salute a true intellectual hero. I sincerely hope that you still have many good years ahead of you Hitch. But, even after you are gone your words will live on and continue to inspire new generations of skeptics and rational thinkers just like you have inspired me. If I could accomplish just a fraction of all the things you have accomplished I would consider my life a complete success. Few people get to live the life you have lived and inspire so many people all over the world.

Cheers to you Christopher!

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 16:45:40 UTC | #889001

drumdaddy's Avatar Comment 10 by drumdaddy

To the man, himself, air do shlàinte!

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 16:54:47 UTC | #889004

Nunbeliever's Avatar Comment 11 by Nunbeliever

An intellectual hero of yours once said "Dickens is one of those authors who are well worth stealing." I think many of us will say "Hitchens is one of those authors who are well worth stealing".

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 17:04:40 UTC | #889006

gordon's Avatar Comment 12 by gordon

Cheers Hitch! Saw you in London eviscerating Anne Widdecome! Took my son and nephew to watch their first blood sport. I shall buy a Johnny Walkers Black in your honour.

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 17:36:01 UTC | #889020

Rich Wiltshir's Avatar Comment 13 by Rich Wiltshir

I long for the day when a street preachers turns to me and says

"Get thee behind me Hitchens"

I always take them on, now; because of Dawkins and Dennett and Dilahunty and Harris

...... and Hitchens

This isn't a universe where we get to have wishes, but if it were... you'd be no less magical.

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 18:22:13 UTC | #889032

Adrian A Bartholomew's Avatar Comment 14 by Adrian A Bartholomew

I can't say I like JW but I DO love Hitch! I shall find some red wine and a cigarette to abuse tonight and watch that wonderful IQ debate he did with Fry. Good times. Good man!

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 18:38:49 UTC | #889035

elisa_fdm's Avatar Comment 15 by elisa_fdm

I'm very glad someone beat me to posting this on here! Proud of having been involved in the making (even if my own tribute wasn't featured and I just appear very quickly towards the end) and hope to God (lol) that the Hitch gets to see it!

Off to see RD, Fry & co. talk about the Hitch in half an hour, how's that for a coincidence! Here's hoping this great, great man sticks with us for just that much longer.

Love you Hitch.

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 19:04:44 UTC | #889043

El Bastardo's Avatar Comment 16 by El Bastardo

As much as I admire and respect the man and his works, I can't hep but feel it must be a pain in the rectum to be consistently eulogized. Ever since the announcement of his cancer people have been weeping and gnashing their teeth, missing him before he's gone and memorializing him before he's dead.

I'll miss him when he's gone, as I will the writings of so many others, until then, I look forward to his next article.

He's not dead yet folks. Neither are we.

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 19:20:57 UTC | #889048

elisa_fdm's Avatar Comment 17 by elisa_fdm

Of course he's not dead yet!

I think eulogies are overrated. It won't be of any use to anyone to lament him and praise him after he's gone (although I'm sure there'll be plenty of that in due course). He might, on the other hand, appreciate the fact that so many people are fond of him and think of him at this difficult time in his life. So if we're going to show appreciation and support to him in any way other than keeping up with his articles and appearances, we might as well do it while he's alive.

He recently received an award from RD's own hands and I think it was delivered in this spirit. What use is a posthumous award?

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 19:31:20 UTC | #889052

foundationist's Avatar Comment 18 by foundationist

I raise my glass to you, Mr. Hitchens!

I want to thank you for your wit and clarity in the defense of reason, and, even more, for your arguments on issues where you and I have different opinions, like the war in Iraq. You always made me see things in a new light and even if I didn´t reverse my stance, your ever sound and compelling arguments forced me to rethink my position again and again, evaluating my own opinions. That´s the greatest gift a man can give, and I thank you for it.

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 20:16:23 UTC | #889067

victimlesscrime's Avatar Comment 19 by victimlesscrime

Man I'm gonna miss him!

Top work comrades!

And thank you Hitch!

xx

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 20:16:33 UTC | #889069

robotaholic's Avatar Comment 20 by robotaholic

Cheers to Christopher Hitchens! I have his poster on my wall, have most of his books, and am so inspired by him! Thanks for being so awesome!

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 20:32:00 UTC | #889077

AnthropicConstance's Avatar Comment 21 by AnthropicConstance

Heartfelt thanks to you, Christopher Hitchens! Rocker of boats, disturber of the too comfortable. For you I'll find out what JWB tastes like.

Comment 7 by helena!

What's up with the ninja dude?

Looks like a (cultural) muslim hiding his identity.

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 21:38:50 UTC | #889093

Hellboy2's Avatar Comment 22 by Hellboy2

Great vid! Thanks for posting. Whilst everyone belonging to this site, I'm sure, echo these heartfelt sentiments, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was watching some great, virtual wake. Hope that's a long way off yet - but thanks for a life of words and passion Hitch. Cheers!

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 22:06:45 UTC | #889102

ridelo's Avatar Comment 23 by ridelo

Cheers to the man that handed me a shovel to get rid of the dung that religionists piled on this atheist by birth.

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 22:23:09 UTC | #889108

quarecuss's Avatar Comment 24 by quarecuss

It's not Johnny Walker but it's black. I'm raising a deep, dark pint of porter to you, Hitch. Slainte!

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 22:35:17 UTC | #889110

elisa_fdm's Avatar Comment 25 by elisa_fdm

I have it from someone who is signed up to FORA.tv that Hitchens was logged on chat there earlier today (before tonight's event started) and responded to a few comments people made. Someone brought up this video and Hitchens responded, five minutes later, with the following:

You are all too kind, thank you. I am raising my glass (of orange juice) to you all. Enjoy the discussion.

He later signed off the chat and wasn't heard from anymore, but I am absolutely thrilled that he saw the video. I am trying to get that person to post some more of Hitchens' comments from that chat (not being a FORA.tv subscriber myself I cannot view it) but anyway, great stuff. If we brightened up his day just by a micro fraction of a fraction then that is simply superb.

Wed, 09 Nov 2011 23:01:01 UTC | #889114

Crazycharlie's Avatar Comment 26 by Crazycharlie

Thank you Christopher. You and your words will always teach and inspire.

Thu, 10 Nov 2011 00:11:41 UTC | #889128

Functional Atheist's Avatar Comment 27 by Functional Atheist

How touching.

The music was subtle and appropriate, it was very nicely edited, and I was pleased to see both the multitude of libations, and the explicit acknowledgement of Mr. Walker's amber restorative.

And for those few grumbling at the premature eulogizing: better for Hitch to be able to see such a tribute, than to not. To paraphrase a joke from the movie The Big Chill: "Funerals are such a weird custom. They throw a great party for you on the one day they know you can't attend."

Thu, 10 Nov 2011 00:43:13 UTC | #889131

Alternative Carpark's Avatar Comment 28 by Alternative Carpark

He is not dead yet...

Then again, I suppose this makes more sense than a posthumous tribute.

Thu, 10 Nov 2011 01:26:53 UTC | #889136

rjohn19's Avatar Comment 29 by rjohn19

To paraphrase from "The man of LaMancha", Hitch was willing to march into hell for a rational cause.

I've watched every debate I can find and in so, so many of them, he ceded the home-field advantage, eloquently arguing our case in churches, synagogs and religious institutions of lower learning.

Having a tot of Walker Gold in his honor. Not having the Black Label because no one gifted me the Black Label. After this, it's back to my rot-gut Cluny. Sorry, Hitch. I know that offends your finely tuned palate.

Your arguments have served me well, though I dumb down the vocab to suit my environs.

Stay with us as long as you can. If the proverbial "other shoe" is to fall and break the back of faith, my money is on you to conjure it.

Thu, 10 Nov 2011 05:10:41 UTC | #889151