← Tim Minchin song mocking Christ pulled from Jonathan Ross' Christmas special

Tim Minchin song mocking Christ pulled from Jonathan Ross' Christmas special - Comments

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 1 by Cartomancer

NOOOOOOO!

Please, please, please will someone get a video of that song and post it here! Or put it with videos of Tim's other wonderful freethinking songs (Thank You God, Fuck the Pope etc.) and have the RD.net shop sell it as a DVD. I can't think of a better Christmas present. Minchin's Jesus song MUST see the light of day.

Also, why the hell is "making the queen look bad" a resignable offense? There's nothing special about the queen. She's not better than any of us. She has no appreciable skills or talents or importance above anyone else. I find it outrageous that there should be such kowtowing to antiquated ideas of social status in 21st century Britain. And the same goes double for Jesus, who in all probability never really existed. It's the equivalent of cutting a song because it portrays Frodo Baggins in an unflattering light, or makes fun of Harry Potter.

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:21:28 UTC | #902013

Cartomancer's Avatar Comment 2 by Cartomancer

Blimey, no sooner said than done...

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:22:43 UTC | #902014

The Truth, the light's Avatar Comment 3 by The Truth, the light

How lame to cut the song out of the broadcast show.

I thought it was quite tame. Do Christians really loose their sense of humour at Christmas?

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:23:11 UTC | #902016

Jos Gibbons's Avatar Comment 4 by Jos Gibbons

Woody Allen Jesus has already been mirrored, so it's currently at 2 copies and rising on YouTube within 8 hours of the original upload. Good old Streisand effect!
As for the queen, according to this article (and another it links to) he misrepresented her with fake footage.

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:24:49 UTC | #902017

Jumped Up Chimpanzee's Avatar Comment 5 by Jumped Up Chimpanzee

Comment 1 by Cartomancer

Also, why the hell is "making the queen look bad" a resignable offense?

I can't recall the exact details, but from what I do remember, he didn't just film the Queen having a bad hair day. The programme was edited in a way that gave a false impression about her. It was judged to be dishonest journalism.

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:47:10 UTC | #902025

Rob Edge's Avatar Comment 6 by Rob Edge

Tom Cruise?...too easy. ;D

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:49:28 UTC | #902027

God fearing Atheist's Avatar Comment 7 by God fearing Atheist

I just saw an article on this on the BBC website. I was about to e-mail the link to RD.net ...

"Bad" news travels fast there days. If I was a "twit" (sorry a "twitter") I'd be trying to make it go viral.

The BBC site states that Tim uploaded one of the YouTube vids himself. He is pissed off at the cut!

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:55:34 UTC | #902029

jameshogg's Avatar Comment 8 by jameshogg

"We decided that viewers could be too stupid to change their TV channels if they don't like what they see. We don't want to offend anybody." Well done ITV.

Why on Earth these fools are taken seriously I do not know. Not like there are many of them to make a real difference to ratings.

I mean how stuck-up and egotistical do you have to be?

We've all heard this one..

"Our TV license money does not fund this disgusting rubbish!"

...yeah, well you should have thought about that before you bought a TV.

I mean, it's not like there's a law that says you have to buy one, man. Don't go lecturing everybody else because you pay hundreds of pounds on something you know nothing about? I hear Sky have 400 odd channels and stuff - you want ALL those channels with their several programs to be to your liking?

You think I send in complaints about how shows like the X factor are promoting narrow mindedness of music, because I believe I can control the whole world and push past some people's need to be self-righteous, judgmental slugs? No. I learn to toughen up. I put up with your 'talent', try put up with others', please?

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:56:03 UTC | #902030

Neall07's Avatar Comment 9 by Neall07

Comment Removed by Author

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 20:58:33 UTC | #902031

Ivan The Not So Bad's Avatar Comment 10 by Ivan The Not So Bad

Also here on the BBC website.

And if you don't like the idea of the UK's main terrestrial commercial network being under the unofficial editorial control of the Daily Mail and a small gang of predictable but loud religious loons, you can e-mail ITV here and respectfully ask that that they grow a pair.

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:05:07 UTC | #902033

Dr. monster's Avatar Comment 11 by Dr. monster

he's a good pianist!

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:18:13 UTC | #902036

mirandaceleste's Avatar Comment 12 by mirandaceleste

Comment 4 by Jos Gibbons :

Good old Streisand effect!

Totally! Methinks that Mr. Fincham is currently getting a crash course in Streisand-Effect-ology.

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:24:51 UTC | #902037

DefenderOfReason!'s Avatar Comment 13 by DefenderOfReason!

Hilarious!

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:29:37 UTC | #902038

B33b13br0x's Avatar Comment 14 by B33b13br0x

I posted this on the Telegraph site about the song:

I'm generally a Minchin fan and I like the idea of the song but in this case I think he missed the mark on execution. The music wasn't particularly great and it didn't show his usual wit. I think he should do a rewrite and come back to us with the 2nd or maybe 3rd iteration.

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:30:29 UTC | #902040

Neodarwinian's Avatar Comment 15 by Neodarwinian

Again the benighted followers of a god with a vanishingly small probability of existence can tell everyone else what to do with almost a sure thing probability.

I can.t even follow that loooong name for " Woody Allen Jesus! "

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:57:28 UTC | #902044

Peter Grant's Avatar Comment 16 by Peter Grant

http://youtube.com/watch?v=_SFdUJLebzU #WoodyAllenJesus

Be nice if we could get it trending. Please, everybody RT this.

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 22:07:11 UTC | #902047

David Hume's hungry chicken's Avatar Comment 17 by David Hume's hungry chicken

Sort of a poor man's Tom Lehrer mixed in with 'One Man Went to Mow' all topped off with a smidgeon of Robert Smith appearance-wise. Freedom of speech and all that, but it wasn't quite my cup of tea. Seems like a witty guy though. In terms of art mocking religion it would have to be Life of Brian and the Vatican Rag for me. Blessed are the cheesemakers?

Thu, 22 Dec 2011 23:29:39 UTC | #902060

Mark Jones's Avatar Comment 18 by Mark Jones

I'm expecting to see the BBC report on a service to be held where prayers will be said for Tim Minchin.

Fri, 23 Dec 2011 00:08:46 UTC | #902067

Philoctetes                                        's Avatar Comment 19 by Philoctetes

Seems a pretty accurate summation of the New Testament. Yes we know it's sarcasm, but I'd love to hear the censor's specific complaint(s)

Fri, 23 Dec 2011 00:22:41 UTC | #902073

Quine's Avatar Comment 20 by Quine

Now, that took some talent.

Fri, 23 Dec 2011 00:23:38 UTC | #902074

Saganic Rites's Avatar Comment 21 by Saganic Rites

Comment 11 by Dr. monster it's edge stuff. could backfire. it would be possitively dangerous to sing stuff like that about mohamed. i laughed a bit, but i felt a bit uneasy. songs are never good comedy though. he's a good pianist!

Have you never heard Every Sperm is Sacred?

Or Justin Bieber?

Fri, 23 Dec 2011 00:28:46 UTC | #902076

Net's Avatar Comment 22 by Net

i thought minchin not up to his usual standard ... it went on a little too long but i don't see the problem with offending christians ...

Fri, 23 Dec 2011 00:45:15 UTC | #902081

some asshole's Avatar Comment 23 by some asshole

Well Minchin sums it up:

He [pulled my performance] because he’s scared of the ranty, s--- stirring, right-wing press, and of the small minority of [idiots] who believe they have a right to go through life protected from anything that challenges them in any way.

Isn't it so tiresome the way religious idiots can be counted on in this manner? Even a billboard that says "Atheists exist" (read: "People who disagree with you exist") is too challenging for them.

Fri, 23 Dec 2011 00:51:20 UTC | #902083

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 24 by Premiseless

I always thought 'Virgin Mary' was an odd notion when considering the relative sizes of a male organ and a new born. The latter is a far more violent an assault on the human body. Suggesting copulation to be in some way an evil temporary pleasure preceding such an event, I think is extraordinarily immature and , as Hitchens suggests, babyish in the extreme. Religions insistence on such wild assertions is symptomatic of a state of mind in deep denial of what we all know.

Fri, 23 Dec 2011 00:55:16 UTC | #902085

Finch's Avatar Comment 25 by Finch

Wow...how pathetic.

If Fincham wimped out and pulled a song mocking Jesus (which may have, at best, ticked off some Christians...but that's about it), just think how the woosie would have acted, if Minchin had written a song mocking Mohammad and Allah (which would have pissed off some fundamentalist Muslims who would have called for his beheading...and meant it).

He's still be pissing his pants.

What a loser.

Fri, 23 Dec 2011 00:57:40 UTC | #902086

Steve Zara's Avatar Comment 26 by Steve Zara

Minchin is a gem. An extremely talented songwriter and singer and performer, a gorgeous bloke with a good mind too. I don't agree that he is sub-Lehrer. I don't think this song was one of his best, but pulling it is brilliant publicity. I have recently discovered this "Streisand Effect" thing. Whoever decided to censor Minchin is either very clever or pretty dumb.

Fri, 23 Dec 2011 01:10:52 UTC | #902088

helena!'s Avatar Comment 27 by helena!

This was brilliant. How hilarious there is Tom Cruise watching. Tim Minchin is super talented and a master entertainer.

Fri, 23 Dec 2011 02:10:36 UTC | #902098

Finch's Avatar Comment 28 by Finch

Comment 26 by Steve Zara :

I'll vote for the latter : )

Fri, 23 Dec 2011 02:12:23 UTC | #902100

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 29 by Ignorant Amos

Epic stuff.

Fri, 23 Dec 2011 02:48:21 UTC | #902104

Tyler Durden's Avatar Comment 30 by Tyler Durden

"...kinda did what Derren Brown does."

LOL