← Penn Jillette: An Atheist's Guide to the 2012 Election

Penn Jillette: An Atheist's Guide to the 2012 Election - Comments

aroundtown's Avatar Comment 1 by aroundtown

I was very happy to see the addition of the US political section added to the site. I feel a connection to Paul Revere in wanting to sound the alarm of what we are facing in this election cycle. In my opinion should the Republicans take the White House the old expression "you aint seen nothing yet" is certain to come to light regarding the damage they will inflict on the Nation. It is completely ironic that the Republican party has such a strong affiliation with the religious factions of this country, suggesting a connection to their supposed wholesomeness and purity, when in actuality they live and die by the creed of greed. I prefer to know them for what they really are and that is a merciless cheerleaders squad for Wall Street and the elite of this country. If you are a boomer then you had better say goodbye to your Social Security because that will be first on the chopping block along with limiting freedoms you never assumed could be challenged. I HOPE YOU CAN ALL REMEMBER THEIR NON-OPPOSITION TO THE TRIPE OF INTELLIGENT DESIGN. You may be thinking at this point that I am a dyed in the wool Democrat but you would be wrong. I am an Independent politically just as I am independent in my ability to think for myself. I like to look at things with the blinders wide open and my eyes open too. I still remember the trickle down theory of their god Ronnie or as I like to call it, being pissed on and told it's raining. I will hold on to the idea that people might wake up to the danger but I don't have a very strong conviction that they will. A little more than my two cents worth from this anti-thiest EVO unit.

Sat, 31 Dec 2011 01:43:47 UTC | #903919

Ignorant Amos's Avatar Comment 2 by Ignorant Amos

"Bug nutty bat shit crazy".....it works for me.

Sat, 31 Dec 2011 03:18:10 UTC | #903940

huzonfurst's Avatar Comment 3 by huzonfurst

What a great tirade, and so true. Not sure that the nutters are as "good and intelligent" as he asserts, though, because the evidence does not support that conclusion. A lot of people are simply not good but just plain cynical and opportunistic, jumping on any bandwagon to advance their own selfish interests, and this to me describes every single Republican candidate (and a great number of Democrats) since Reagan.

I have just enough optimism left to believe, however, that Social Security and Medicare will not be destroyed by the right any time soon, as that would amount to suicide on their part. A serious attempt to do so, however, could be what is needed to wake this country up to how evil they really are.

Sat, 31 Dec 2011 13:38:06 UTC | #904041

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 4 by phil rimmer

This is a great angle for (some) people to use in the USA. Penn uses it to great effect. By allowing all these politicians the "respect" of being well intentioned at heart and not mad the question he leaves deliciously unanswered becomes all the more devastating and shameful. Why do they do it?

Because they are are manipulative f***ing liars.

Perhaps in another environment they would lie less. Perhaps the US has, uniquely amongst developed countries, allowed the creation of a brain-dead electoral rump (thanks Murdoch, thanks tax-exempt, free-market religion) whose button press at the polls is triggered by a single dogmatic button press at the back of their heads.

To fight at all you have to fight dirty, press those buttons that bypass thought, and in so doing reinforce the moral and democratic collapse you might even want to fight against.

Every time Penn admits to a little flaw in what he stands for, or speaks honestly about motives, he nails home the difference.

For me this was PJ at his best.

Sat, 31 Dec 2011 15:18:04 UTC | #904053

El Bastardo's Avatar Comment 5 by El Bastardo

Some excellent points made, though I don't think MSNBC are cynical, nor do I thin the likes of Perry, Bachmann and Palin are good and honest, but they are smart, and they definitely are batshit crazy, because whether Penn likes it or not, they really do believe a snake spoke, they really do believe in virgin birth and in some cases they really would persecute those who worked on Sundays and boy do they hate teh'gays.

I know there are a lot of christians who only care that Jesus loves them and thus they can survive death and be happy forever, but the reality is that there are a lot of christians who really do believe that talking snakes et al aren't batshit crazy, it's the proof of just how wonderful and magnificent god is, praise be.

Being crazy and believing crazy aren't the same thing.

Sat, 31 Dec 2011 15:59:03 UTC | #904061

Premiseless's Avatar Comment 6 by Premiseless

Close to perfect sense.

Sat, 31 Dec 2011 17:00:03 UTC | #904077

Daryl 's Avatar Comment 7 by Daryl

If we can believe in a talking snake, then this sounds like a job for Harry Potter.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 00:22:14 UTC | #904141

Frank Pruiksma's Avatar Comment 8 by Frank Pruiksma

"American" Bam! Works every time. I'm Native American so it doesn't apply to me because I live on a reservation. Now they use "Terrorist" People automatically every middle eastern image pops into your head! Even though they prey on fellow Muslims as well.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 07:18:07 UTC | #904171

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 9 by Carl Sai Baba

Comment 4 by phil rimmer : Perhaps the US has, uniquely amongst developed countries, allowed the creation of a brain-dead electoral rump (thanks Murdoch, thanks tax-exempt, free-market religion) whose button press at the polls is triggered by a single dogmatic button press at the back of their heads.

Yes, if only the US were like... hmm, let's say a nice developed place like the UK. Then we could have had David Cameron, Sky News, and the Daily Mail.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 21:31:11 UTC | #904353

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 10 by phil rimmer

Comment 9 by Carl Sai Baba

The difference between the UK and the US (usually we tend to be a just a pale imitation) is surprisingly big in relation to the issue of dogmatic thinking. Party politics is still showing a broadtrend trend away from dogma to pragma and, gratifyingly, Murdoch has been given the finger recently by a large fraction of the population and I think a number of the journalists on his better papers are quite pleased with the outcome. Many politicians have breathed a sigh of relief.

Sky News is not Fox News....by quite a margin. Persuading middle America that Cameron is a right wing politician would not be a trivial task.

Sun, 01 Jan 2012 23:55:37 UTC | #904392

Carl Sai Baba's Avatar Comment 11 by Carl Sai Baba

Comment 10 by phil rimmer :

Comment 9 by Carl Sai Baba

You are playing lite with the problems of your own politicians and religious factions in order to make your insults.

Don't wonder about our opinion of David Cameron. I'm sure you can hear enough opinions of him over there, when you aren't busy worrying about us american idiots and our tax-free churches (except to notice that, while our churches don't pay taxes, at least they don't get to collect taxes).

Mon, 02 Jan 2012 04:17:50 UTC | #904430

phil rimmer's Avatar Comment 12 by phil rimmer

Comment 11 by Carl Sai Baba

No insults. Nor are you idiots. I loved the place to pieces and went to work there for a while and up until last year have been visiting typically three times a year. Were it not for family ties I would have done a Hitch for good.

We have our own problems. I can insult us better than I can you. But in this matter our problems have diverged more than in other areas. You have a passion for politics where sadly we have a weary indifference. You, however, are passionate over dogma too.

Here is the financial situation on our (unfortunately) established church.

Mon, 02 Jan 2012 11:40:25 UTC | #904494

alambert212's Avatar Comment 13 by alambert212

I feel like Gary Johnson is the best candidate in this election.....not a lot of people know about him but hes running as a libertarian and I've never heard him say anything that is "bat shit crazy." And he certainly has great views on civil liberties.....

Tue, 03 Jan 2012 09:09:37 UTC | #904825

crucialfictionofjesus's Avatar Comment 14 by crucialfictionofjesus

Brilliant! How good it is to know so many Americans are NOT as portrayed in the media, god-fearing mindless slaves to radical christianity... and politicians in particular. Poor Michelle, Sarah, et al, morons all but really funny also. "John Wayne was born in the same town as I", hillarious!

I digress; plaudits again to the author of this comment.

Fri, 06 Jan 2012 06:35:04 UTC | #905752

Helga Vieirch's Avatar Comment 15 by Helga Vieirch

Rob Boston is senior policy analyst at Americans United for Separation of Church and State. He wrote a interesting article, "5 Founding Fathers Whose Skepticism About Christianity Would Make Them Unelectable Today" concerning the religious views of some of the American founding fathers. I wonder where the American political system went wrong?

Mon, 16 Jan 2012 17:13:28 UTC | #908862

Sample's Avatar Comment 16 by Sample

Penn's exasperating and humerous request for a Rosetta Stone to decypher "the code" of faith is perfect.

Mike

Thu, 19 Jan 2012 14:26:22 UTC | #909803

ficking chucken's Avatar Comment 17 by ficking chucken

I call it "Theocracy's Last Stand". I am afraid that much blood will be spilled. The theist will not go down alone. He has something to prove.

Sun, 19 Feb 2012 08:21:55 UTC | #919500